Thread: Online Libertarian Education?

Question Online Libertarian Education?

(Admins - Not sure where this belongs, so please move as you see fit.)

I was just thinking about this as part of another thread on the Mises Institute, but when I was study economics in college, I was exposed to the great names in economics (Adam Smith, Keynes, Friedman, etc.), but never was I exposed to Murray Rothbard et al. With the explosion of the Internet, and those of us who would love to learn more about libertarian thought in politics and economics, has there been any thought about creating a degree program a la U of Phoenix for libertarian thought? It would benefit those of us with a wish to learn more about the subject, and it would also be beneficial to those of us who really need to finish their Bachelor's Degree sometime in the next century.

Ideas? Thoughts?
    Precinct Captain - TX4508
    Proud Ron Paul Republican

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mises Institute offers a study course w/tutoring, etc. No degree though. What benefit would an 'official' degree in "libertarian studies" bring?
    "It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a 'dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance." - Murray N. Rothbard

Quote Originally Posted by murrayrothbard View Post
    Mises Institute offers a study course w/tutoring, etc. No degree though. What benefit would an 'official' degree in "libertarian studies" bring?
    I'm getting near that strata of jobs where a degree in ANYTHING would be extremely worthwhile. I've been browsing job opportunities lately (need to make more $$$ to keep running on the treadmill with Helicopter Ben at the helm of the Fed), and the vast majority of them require a Bachelor's Degree of some sort - even if it is not job-related.

Make sense?

This is the best quick online libertarian course I have found.

http://www.isil.org/resources/philos...rty-index.html
    Always Remember:
    Freedom isn't free, no there's a hefty f***'n fee.

Keeping in line with Neo-Con policies criminals have started showing their support for local police by engaging them in deadly shootouts.

I am a proud Ron Paul Republican.

We will die on our feet before we live on our knees.

I oppose credentialism in general so I don't see the point of a degree either. As murrayrothbard mentioned, the closest thing to what you're asking for is the LVMI study course.
    Ron Paul's best political writing? (link)

"The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by RTsquared View Post
    I'm getting near that strata of jobs where a degree in ANYTHING would be extremely worthwhile. I've been browsing job opportunities lately (need to make more $$$ to keep running on the treadmill with Helicopter Ben at the helm of the Fed), and the vast majority of them require a Bachelor's Degree of some sort - even if it is not job-related.

Make sense?
    That does make sense, and we have the government to blame for this. You're not just looking for a bachelor's degree, you're looking for an accredited bachelor's degree. Credentialism at work

"The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    That does make sense, and we have the government to blame for this. You're not just looking for a bachelor's degree, you're looking for an accredited bachelor's degree. Credentialism at work
    Yeah, I meant an accredited bachelor's degree. However, I don't think we can actually blame the government for this (as much as I love to blame Washington for everything). The jobs I'm looking at are private-sector jobs where I have the experience, but not the piece of paper. As long as employers are looking for the piece of paper, I either have to get the paper or suffer.

Wikipedia is a good starting point.
    Read the three books by Judge Andrew P. Napolitano
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As far as a degree, I know a good friend who attended http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claremont_McKenna_College and said that they were fairly conservative/libertarian.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by RTsquared View Post
    Yeah, I meant an accredited bachelor's degree. However, I don't think we can actually blame the government for this (as much as I love to blame Washington for everything). The jobs I'm looking at are private-sector jobs where I have the experience, but not the piece of paper. As long as employers are looking for the piece of paper, I either have to get the paper or suffer.
    I know what you mean, but it is government funding and influence that has maintained that system. The university education system we have is essentially set in stone by government regulation, funding, and now accreditation. Thanks to this virtual monopoly, employers use the same standards. This is especially true for doctors and lawyers.

It's similar to how the income tax forces us to pay in US dollars, perpetuating its use and putting every other currency at a disadvantage.

In a truly free market, too much reliance on credentials would be automatically punished.

-Robert A. Heinlein

HOw would you go about creating such a program a la U of Phoenix? It sounds like a wonderful idea