Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 35 of 35

Thread: Some states look to eliminate property taxes?

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Government already claims most of the land and has a long history of giving it or selling it to their cronies.
    No. It still has title to a lot of land, but wouldn't still have most of it if someone had found a use for it, because of these things...

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We already have homesteading laws that...
    ... are obviously now ignored, as Clive Bundy demonstrated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I'm the one addressing a real historical problem, the Sierra Club, Bill Gates, and their Ilk go around buying up land and locking out the public.
    You are imagining up a problem that won't happen where land that is being used will be declared to be unused in order to take it.
    You argue that it won't be used, and that it'll be used on Bill Gates in the same breath. That's some funny $#@!.

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It is fundamentally wrong to allow ownership of unused land, allowing someone to lease it from the government with an option to use and really own it is a compromise in case some rich guy wants his own hunting land etc. and to provide revenue for the legitimate functions of government.
    If you don't want taxes on unused land then we'll just have to go with you can't own unused land.
    False Dichotomies R Us.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    No. It still has title to a lot of land, but wouldn't still have most of it if someone had found a use for it, because of these things...



    ... are obviously now ignored, as Clive Bundy demonstrated.
    Land that would be used is supremely irrelevant to this conversation.
    But there is no way all that land would all be homesteaded in any reasonable amount of time.


    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    You argue that it won't be used, and that it'll be used on Bill Gates in the same breath. That's some funny $#@!.
    You need to learn to read, Gates and friends explicitly leave it fallow wilderness, and they would have to pay taxes. (I'm pretty sure they currently have schemes to not pay taxes while used land is taxed)
    People who used land would not be hit with taxes and their land taken because it would be being used, and if government tried an abuse like that it would be a different issue to fight.


    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    False Dichotomies R Us.
    Not false at all, it is unjust and tyrannical to allow and enforce nonuse of vast swaths of land.
    The only just options are no ownership of unused land, or taxes on unused land to disincentivise it and relieve the tax burden in return for the privilege. (yes, privilege; owning unused land is not a right)
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment



  4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  5. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Land that would be used is supremely irrelevant to this conversation.
    You brought up homesteading laws as if this were still 1880. News flash: It isn't 1880.

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You need to learn to read...
    You first. Then you might be able to avoid spamming the forum with arguments that have already been refuted, or at least addressed.

    I didn't reject your argument because I didn't understand it. I reject it because I foresee unintended consequences that you're turning a blind eye to.

  6. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    You brought up homesteading laws as if this were still 1880. News flash: It isn't 1880.
    I brought the relevant parts of the law about using or not using land into the conversation, used land is irrelevant by the definition of what is being discussed.


    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    You first. Then you might be able to avoid spamming the forum with arguments that have already been refuted, or at least addressed.

    I didn't reject your argument because I didn't understand it. I reject it because I foresee unintended consequences that you're turning a blind eye to.
    Bunk.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  7. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I brought the relevant parts of the law about using or not using land into the conversation, used land is irrelevant by the definition of what is being discussed.
    You're spamming with circular arguments. If the world really needed circular spam, Armor would have been selling it for years, and Treet would be as much a household word as Spam.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-08-2023, 09:49 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-09-2014, 09:02 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-15-2012, 02:29 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-12-2012, 07:35 AM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 07:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •