Thread: Medieval Kings (libertarian) vs Monarchs

Medieval Kings (libertarian) vs Monarchs

In an article Published in History Is Now Magazine I begin to explain the vital differences between a Medieval king, and a monarch.

https://www.historyisnowmagazine.com...roman-emperors

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There were so many differences, but I reckon there were at least some rather absolute monarchs, and that Henry VIII was one, along with some of the French kings, and the Spanish. It's a wide field once cannot simplify into a few paragraphs. I take umbrage with your idea that merchants were somehow indicative of an epochal shift. England, for example, was thriving in commerce and trade all throughout the medieval period, especially in wools and clothing. This was long before Henry VIII. And it was a happy place, Merry Olde England.
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    There were so many differences, but I reckon there were at least some rather absolute monarchs, and that Henry VIII was one, along with some of the French kings, and the Spanish. It's a wide field once cannot simplify into a few paragraphs. I take umbrage with your idea that merchants were somehow indicative of an epochal shift. England, for example, was thriving in commerce and trade all throughout the medieval period, especially in wools and clothing. This was long before Henry VIII. And it was a happy place, Merry Olde England.
    No doubt there were a few, but spanning hundreds of realms, bishoprics, dukedoms etc the exception should not be the rule.

I seek to cover the period from about 700 to 1300 A.D. The 14th century is the time that I view as changing Europe from libertarian kingship to absolutist monarchies. Merchants played only one aspect of society's transformation during that period.
    Jeb Smith is the author of four books to date, the most recent being Missing Monarchy: Correcting Misconceptions About The Middle Ages, Medieval Kingship, Democracy, And Liberty. Before that, he authored Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War, written under the name Isaac C. Bishop. Smith has authored multiple articles on various blogs and websites, including History is Now Magazine and Medieval History.