Thread: College graduates can't find jobs

College graduates can't find jobs

College Grads CAN'T Find Jobs
    https://odysee.com/@actualjusticewar...;t-find-jobs:c
    {Actual Justice Warrior | 17 May 2024}

In this video I discuss the devastating trend that is emerging for college graduates who discover that it is nearly impossible for them to get hired in their degree field.

Sources:

The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ...since 2008
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    ...since 2008
    ...since the 80s in many fields.

Breaking News: Jobs don't come looking for you.

Even with an "in demand" degree, jobs are not easy to get. Most companies want people with experience, which excludes fresh grads. Many "openings" at major employers are not really open. They are place holders, either for someone who is already getting the job, or are a vacant head-count that can be cut in the future, without laying off an actual person.

And many employers do discriminate. The person doing the hiring may want to hire a family member, a church member, someone from their home town or school, someone from their own nation, someone of their own race, gender or sexual orientation.

And HR departments that process resumes are notorious black holes. Submit a resume, and even if they had a matching job, your resume would probably never make it to the person hiring.

Want a job? First, take the best job you can get. Someone with a job already is more desirable to employers. Make connections. You are most like to get a job by knowing or meeting someone who is actually hiring.

Finding a job straight out of school has always been hard. This is nothing new. And if the economy is down, it takes even longer.

And anyone who believes that they should be able to buy a house with their first salary are delusional.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    ...since the 80s in many fields.
    Since forever.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Since forever.
    Yes - I recall reading quotes someone had posted from the 60s, of some college students saying that their degrees didn't guarantee that they would find work anymore and they felt scammed. There's always been someone pushing this notion that the previous generation had it so much easier than those just starting out and I think it's intentionally deceitful. It's probably the reason the "elites" started dividing us up with terms like "baby boomer", generation X, millennial. etc.,

Rather than blaming the corrupt elites that $#@!ed us over during the previous generation(s) - say, by murdering our president, or stealing our gold, or ending bretton-woods, or sending our jobs overseas (all without us being quite aware of what they are pulling till it's too late) - they obscure/deny the past hardships ever existed and condition each generation to believe the previous one simply had an easy time.

You grow up following a certain path, only to find out after it's too late, that that path doesn't work at all. You've been exploited and other people got rich exploiting you.

In this way they scam us all, while making each generation blame, and feel resentful towards, those before them.

Yes - I recall reading quotes someone had posted from the 60s, of some college students saying that their degrees didn't guarantee that they would find work anymore and they felt scammed. There's always been someone pushing this notion that the previous generation had it so much easier than those just starting out and I think it's intentionally deceitful. It's probably the reason the "elites" started dividing us up with terms like "baby boomer", generation X, millennial. etc.,

Rather than blaming the corrupt elites that $#@!ed us over during the previous generation(s) - say, by murdering our president, or stealing our gold, or ending bretton-woods, or sending our jobs overseas (all without us being quite aware of what they are pulling till it's too late) - they obscure/deny the past hardships ever existed and condition each generation to believe the previous one simply had an easy time.

You grow up following a certain path, only to find out after it's too late, that that path doesn't work at all. You've been exploited and other people got rich exploiting you.

In this way they scam us all, while making each generation blame, and feel resentful towards, those before them.
    Coddled snowflakes are not prepared for reality.

Wait. You mean my recently acquired PhD in Underwater Basket Weaving won’t give me a free ride into a nice cushy mid-six figure job? What a rip off!
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Breaking News: Jobs don't come looking for you.

Even with an "in demand" degree, jobs are not easy to get. Most companies want people with experience, which excludes fresh grads. Many "openings" at major employers are not really open. They are place holders, either for someone who is already getting the job, or are a vacant head-count that can be cut in the future, without laying off an actual person.

And many employers do discriminate. The person doing the hiring may want to hire a family member, a church member, someone from their home town or school, someone from their own nation, someone of their own race, gender or sexual orientation.

And HR departments that process resumes are notorious black holes. Submit a resume, and even if they had a matching job, your resume would probably never make it to the person hiring.

Want a job? First, take the best job you can get. Someone with a job already is more desirable to employers. Make connections. You are most like to get a job by knowing or meeting someone who is actually hiring.

Finding a job straight out of school has always been hard. This is nothing new. And if the economy is down, it takes even longer.

And anyone who believes that they should be able to buy a house with their first salary are delusional.
    Back in the early 70's all my older brothers purchased homes prior to age 24. 2 of them purchased brand new half ton trucks one Chevy one Ford and paid cash. Everybody worked menial jobs. One brother purchased his home when he was 18 and still lives there today.
    So when you are talking about purchasing a home, a car, or even being able to just live on a wage, that has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged View Post
    Back in the early 70's all my older brothers purchased homes prior to age 24. 2 of them purchased brand new half ton trucks one Chevy one Ford and paid cash. Everybody worked menial jobs. One brother purchased his home when he was 18 and still lives there today.
    So when you are talking about purchasing a home, a car, or even being able to just live on a wage, that has changed.
    Yeah, many things have changed since then. And location is key when it comes to housing.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged View Post
    Things did change a lot after the 70s. I attribute it to the end of Bretton Woods in 1971. I think it took the whole decade for the resulting damage to snowball, and really become apparent to non-rich people. It’s not like they warned the general population outright about how bad things were about to get.

Inflation became more and more significant throughout the 70s. It was discussed constantly! It was a favorite topic of comedians (See old Johnny Carson monologues.) Every politician promised they were going to stop inflation. By the mid 70s, "shrinkflation" was already a thing. I can't remember when penny candy became extinct - I think it was the 80s.

Don’t know what part of the country your brothers were in, but in my neck of the woods things were not that rosy. As a young person it was not possible to pay rent AND save up money to buy a brand new car with cash, or make a down payment on a house while you were still in your early 20s. For above-minimum-wage pay, you had to “know” someone (a relative or family friend) that could get you into a higher paying job. This was the case even if you just wanted any factory job with decent benefits, say, at the Ford plant or Westinghouse. (This was once a reliable way to support your family.)

During the 70s the factories had already started closing down. There was no such thing as an "apprenticeship" and if "internships" happened, they weren't advertising for them in the papers. You had to be accepted by a union, so you had to either know someone, or fulfill a quota to get hired. (The concept of racial DEI isn’t new, it just wasn’t admitted to.)

No one remembers that every day, the media was always using terms like “joblessness” and “unemployment crisis”. Of course, I’m from a state that’s always had a lot of corruption and that has it’s effect.

Still, I remember people who were able to buy a house before the end of the 70s (possible for 30+ grand!), were always in much better shape than anyone who tried to do so afterwards, when home prices started doubling and tripling. Living frugally wasn’t enough. By the early 2000s, you couldn’t buy a condo or half a duplex for under 100 grand. It all became very demoralizing.

And what do you do when you can’t find a job that pays enough to allow you to own a home and raise a family? You go back to school.
    Last edited by Valli6; 05-19-2024 at 12:24 PM.

During the 70s the factories had already started closing down. There was no such thing as an "apprenticeship" and if "internships" happened, they weren't advertising for them in the papers.
    There was a time when many larger companies, especially high tech, recruited from college campuses, and would "train" them. But then things changed. High tech consulting companies would hire college grads and "train" them (for a month or less), and then essentially rent them out to the companies that needed them. (For example Andersen Consulting, which changed their name to Accenture after a scandal).

This business model was helpful for lazy and incompetent management, as they didn't have to find, interview, recruit or hire on their own. But it was also very expensive. So when cost became an issue, they started importing cheaper workers from abroad. The rest is history.

Needless to say, this was not good news for American college grads, and made getting jobs fresh out of school harder for them.

Things did change a lot after the 70s. I attribute it to the end of Bretton Woods in 1971. I think it took the whole decade for the resulting damage to snowball, and really become apparent to non-rich people. It’s not like they warned the general population outright about how bad things were about to get.

Inflation became more and more significant throughout the 70s. It was discussed constantly! It was a favorite topic of comedians (See old Johnny Carson monologues.) Every politician promised they were going to stop inflation. By the mid 70s, "shrinkflation" was already a thing. I can't remember when penny candy became extinct - I think it was the 80s.

Don’t know what part of the country your brothers were in, but in my neck of the woods things were not that rosy. As a young person it was not possible to pay rent AND save up money to buy a brand new car with cash, or make a down payment on a house while you were still in your early 20s. For above-minimum-wage pay, you had to “know” someone (a relative or family friend) that could get you into a higher paying job. This was the case even if you just wanted any factory job with decent benefits, say, at the Ford plant or Westinghouse. (This was once a reliable way to support your family.)

During the 70s the factories had already started closing down. There was no such thing as an "apprenticeship" and if "internships" happened, they weren't advertising for them in the papers. You had to be accepted by a union, so you had to either know someone, or fulfill a quota to get hired. (The concept of racial DEI isn’t new, it just wasn’t admitted to.)

No one remembers that every day, the media was always using terms like “joblessness” and “unemployment crisis”. Of course, I’m from a state that’s always had a lot of corruption and that has it’s effect.

Still, I remember people who were able to buy a house before the end of the 70s (possible for 30+ grand!), were always in much better shape than anyone who tried to do so afterwards, when home prices started doubling and tripling. Living frugally wasn’t enough. By the early 2000s, you couldn’t buy a condo or half a duplex for under 100 grand. It all became very demoralizing.

And what do you do when you can’t find a job that pays enough to allow you to own a home and raise a family? You go back to school.
    I guess there was more to it than finding a job and buying things for cash. We had jobs since we were small. Everyone of us had paper route that got passed from kid to kid. In those days you had to purchase the paper route. You were a business man. You bought the papers and it was your responsibility to collect from your customers. I had a morning and afternoon route. We cut grass and shoveled snow and raked leaves. Once 16 people worked. My mother made sure that money was saved. In 1970 a brand new C10 was less than $2,000 so all those years of work and savings made purchasing a vehicle possible. Houses cost less than $30,000 so with a small downpayment you were a homeowner. Two of my brothers purchased 2 family homes and lived on one floor and rented the other. As mentioned one brother still lives in the home he purchased when he was 18.

My youngest son got a job before graduating college. He has been there 4 years and got a good promotion. His bonus last year was $30,000. He has over $375,000 net assets and isn't even 27 yet. He owns 2 cars paid for and a 2 family home. The first floor rent covers the mortgage and he has roommates where he occupies the 2nd and 3rd floor. He has 1700 sq ft on those 2 floors. So his transportation is paid for and his housing is free. I think his base salary is around $150k plus stock and bonus.

Youngest daughter working as chemical engineer making close to $100k but she spends way more than my son.

Son plans on being financially independent after working 10 years. Maximizes his savings, retirement, and wealth, and minimizing his taxes. All his accomplishments are his to take credit for. No handouts from the parents.

But he is a rare case and exceptional person. In the 70's any person that wanted to work hard could prosper without college.