Thread: Cop blocks father from taking kids to school, dad says "Get your ass out o the way."

Cop blocks father from taking kids to school, dad says "Get your ass out o the way."

https://www.al.com/news/2024/05/alab...f-the-way.html

Reginald Burks doesn’t want to say, “I’m sorry.” Sure, the 39-year-old father and aircraft mechanic said some harsh things to the officer who pulled him over.

But even now, almost six months later, Burks said he had the right to speak his mind.

Court officials in the small town of Ozark in southeast Alabama don’t agree. Ozark Municipal Court Judge Nicholas Bull ordered Burks to apologize in writing to the officer.

Either that or face 10 to 30 days in jail.

“What am I going to do? I’m going to jail,” Burks told AL.com. “I ain’t writing no letter. I can’t do it. I don’t see where it’s legal for him to do that.”

The trouble started with a traffic stop on Dec. 13, 2023. Burks, who lives in nearby Skipperville, was taking his kids to school when police pulled him over for speeding. The officer said his radar gun was broken, so he used cruise control to estimate the speed, Burks said.

“And I told him he was full of crap because there’s no way that he clocked my speed by cruise control,” Burks said.

Things went downhill from there. The officer gave Burks the ticket, and then stood in front of his car, Burks said, forcing the driver to back up and go around him.

“I said, ‘Get your ass out of the way so I can take my kids to school,’” Burks said. “My daughter’s like, ‘Daddy you cursed.’ And I said, ‘I’m sorry boo.’”

One law professor at the University of Alabama said the case might seem trivial, but it raises big questions about judicial power.

In addition to fines and jail time, judges can tell defendants not to contact victims or visit certain businesses, said Jenny Carroll, a professor of criminal law. Some judges have taken that flexibility a bit further, including one in Texas who ordered sex offenders to post signs in their front yards about their criminal convictions. He faced criticism for imposing punishments beyond sentencing guidelines or state law.

In this case, Carroll said threatening Burks with up to 30 days in jail doesn’t seem to fit the crime.

“I think it is one of those judicial orders that is sufficiently questionable that we ought to say, is it really proportional to give a 30-day sentence if he won’t say he’s sorry?” Carroll said.

“That’s a long time for what he allegedly said,” she added. “And my guess is, we could stop most adults on the street, and they would admit that in a moment of frustration, he said something that may be regrettable but doesn’t deserve a 30-day sentence.”

Burks initially received a ticket for speeding, but he was not charged with disorderly conduct, or any other wrongdoing related to his interaction with the officer. He has friends and family who work as police officers, and they advised him not to challenge the ticket, he said.

He arrived in court prepared to plead guilty and pay the fines when he learned the judge wanted him to write an apology for cussing at the officer.

“I was like, I’ll just pay the ticket, but I’m not going to apologize,” Burks said.

Judge Bull declined to comment on the case. The special prosecutor did not respond to requests for comment.

Burks said he has spent most of his life in Skipperville, about 10 miles from Ozark, and built deep roots in the area. He has worked the same job for almost 20 years and said he keeps out of trouble. A review of court records show that Burks has been ticketed for several traffic offenses over the years.

But Burks said he does not believe his speech crossed a legal line. Carroll said Alabama law does prohibit cursing in public, but that Burks should have been charged with that and given due process if the judge intended to punish him for his speech.

Instead, she said the judge appears to be flexing his power to force Burks to say sorry.

“He’s not able to make a choice about whether or not he wants to apologize,” Carroll said. “And he’s not a child, he’s an adult man. He’s not being allowed to exercise his own decision-making process about whether or not his behavior warrants issuing an apology to the officer.”

Burks is set to go back to court on June 4 for a hearing in the case. That is when he expects to go to jail. He has already arranged with his mother and his children’s mother to take care of them in his absence.

His attorney, David Harrison, said in an interview with WTVY that Burks might file a lawsuit in the case. That’s unlikely to happen before his hearing.

“If I did something to offend him or bodily harm him in any way, I would apologize,” Burks said. “But I didn’t do anything to this officer besides curse. And there’s no law saying that I can’t curse or speak my mind.”

9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The officer said his radar gun was broken, so he used cruise control to estimate the speed, Burks said.
    They won't make me a judge because I'd have made the cop apologize for insulting Burks' and the court's intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    They won't make me a judge because I'd have made the cop apologize for insulting Burks' and the court's intelligence.
    Can't you run in a state where judges are elected?

"I'm sorry boo".

That should be a ticketable offense.

Mr. Burks exhibits exactly what I want out of my aircraft mechanic: The backbone to stand up for what is right in the wake of tremendous pressure.

I hope he does not have to do thirty days in the hole.

He should have fought the speeding ticket.

One law professor at the University of Alabama said the case might seem trivial, but it raises big questions about judicial power.

[...]

In this case, [University of Alabama professor of criminal law Jenny] Carroll said threatening Burks with up to 30 days in jail doesn’t seem to fit the crime.
    God save us from university law professors.

There is no "crime" here, sweetie.

By long and well-established precedent - up to and including SCOTUS case law - cussing out cops (or any other government officials) is (supposed to be) Constitutionally protected speech. Alabama's law to contrary is blatantly unconstitutional.

Of course, they're counting on schmucks like Burks - or you and me - to be unable to afford to challenge their "just us" bull$#@!. Unfortunately, they are usually correct in that expectation, and they exploit that fact to the fullest.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Hope he doesn't end up doing any jail time at all.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.