Thread: Massie Threatened by House Sergeant at Arms

Massie Threatened by House Sergeant at Arms

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/...58040657510501

@RepThomasMassie
    Thereís nothing that gives them the authority to demand I remove a video from my congressional account, but they are.

There is a fine in the rules for taking pictures/videos on the House floor, but they donít know if I taped this, and democrats post from the floor frequently (example attached).

I believe to be fined, they have to serve you notice on the floor while itís happening (thatís how I was fined for not wearing a mask).

Seems a bit creepy that the Sergeant at Arms would be on my X account three days later looking for an infraction. And how would deleting the video undo my alleged infraction of filming on the House floor? (It wouldnít)

The uniparty is big mad at me for exposing them on several votes and for asking the Speaker to resign. The Speaker, his staff, or one of his allies in our conference is probably directing the Sergeant at Arms to do this.

https://twitter.com/Chesschick01/sta...88211661947251
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/...24654727790735
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/...24654727790735
    Is first down a football reference and, if so, what does it mean?
    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it.

~comment at Zero Hedge

Quote Originally Posted by susano View Post
    That would indicate a good play for Massie.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    That would indicate a good play for Massie.

~comment at Zero Hedge

When your team has the ball, you get 4 "downs", or plays, in football. The first play is first down, then second down, third down and fourth down. But if you go a total of at least 10 yards on those plays, then it goes back to first down and you get to keep going toward the endzone. On the 4th "down", typically there will be a punt to the other team, or if you are close enough to the endzone you can go for a field goal kick for 3 points, or if you are like 1 or 2 yards away from getting your 10 yard "first down" and desperate for points you might play the 4th down to try get that last couple yards and reach it.. but if you don't get to the 10 yard minimum on your fourth down, the other team gets the ball wherever you ended up.. which is typically why you would punt the ball down the field as far as possible on fourth down, to the other team, so they have to go all the way across the field to get their touchdown.

The guys on the "line of scrimage" in the middle are the "linemen" and they have rules, for example, the offensive line is trying to defend the quarterback or the running back from being tackled. They aren't allowed to "hold" the other players with their arms, like hug them, or grab them, etc.. they have to use their body and arms to "block" them.

So let's say it's third down and 4 yards to go to get the first down, the tv screen will say "3rd and 4". Let's say they are in the middle of the field on the 50 yard line and they pass the ball for 15 yards, it is caught and they are tackled. That would be a first down.. but the ref throws a yellow flag for a penalty on the offense, holding, 10 yard penalty. They would have to go back 10 yards from the original line of scrimage, so they would be back on the 40 yard line for the other team and they would have to go 14 yards on the next play, otherwise they would likely need to punt the ball.

The head referee would get on the mic and say, "Holding. Offense. 10 yard penalty. Replay 3rd down"

However, it's a really important play toward the end of the game, the coach doesn't think there was actually any holding and so the coach asks the refs to "review" the footage. There is a small limit to how many times you can do this. The refs review the video footage and find the coach was correct, there was no holding, the ref just had a bad angle and thought there was holding.

The head referee would then get on the mic and say exactly what Massie's tweet said: “After further review the penalty is declined. First down.”

The team would get the ball on their 35 yard line and have an opportunity for a touchdown, or at minimum a field goal to score points.
    Last edited by dannno; 04-23-2024 at 11:28 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    When your team has the ball, you get 4 "downs", or plays, in football. The first play is first down, then second down, third down and fourth down. But if you go a total of at least 10 yards on those plays, then it goes back to first down and you get to keep going toward the endzone. On the 4th "down", typically there will be a punt to the other team, or if you are close enough to the endzone you can go for a field goal kick for 3 points, or if you are like 1 or 2 yards away from getting your 10 yard "first down" and desperate for points you might play the 4th down to try get that last couple yards and reach it.. but if you don't get to the 10 yard minimum on your fourth down, the other team gets the ball wherever you ended up.. which is typically why you would punt the ball down the field as far as possible on fourth down, to the other team, so they have to go all the way across the field to get their touchdown.

The guys on the "line of scrimage" in the middle are the "linemen" and they have rules, for example, the offensive line is trying to defend the quarterback or the running back from being tackled. They aren't allowed to "hold" the other players with their arms, like hug them, or grab them, etc.. they have to use their body and arms to "block" them.

So let's say it's third down and 4 yards to go to get the first down, the tv screen will say "3rd and 4". Let's say they are in the middle of the field on the 50 yard line and they pass the ball for 15 yards, it is caught and they are tackled. That would be a first down.. but the ref throws a yellow flag for a penalty on the offense, holding, 10 yard penalty. They would have to go back 10 yards from the original line of scrimage, so they would be back on the 40 yard line for the other team and they would have to go 14 yards on the next play, otherwise they would likely need to punt the ball.

The head referee would get on the mic and say, "Holding. Offense. 10 yard penalty. Replay 3rd down"

However, it's a really important play toward the end of the game, the coach doesn't think there was actually any holding and so the coach asks the refs to "review" the footage. There is a small limit to how many times you can do this. The refs review the video footage and find the coach was correct, there was no holding, the ref just had a bad angle and thought there was holding.

The head referee would then get on the mic and say exactly what Massie's tweet said: “After further review the penalty is declined. First down.”

The team would get the ball on their 35 yard line and have an opportunity for a touchdown, or at minimum a field goal to score points.

Thank you for all that. I'll have to re-read that few times. It's actually kind of interesting but it would take me a long to really learn it. Oddly, I grew up in a family of football fanatics, right down to a UofM flag on the flag pole. My head was always someplace else and I never learned it. At this point in my life, I may. My husband watches the Lions all season.

~comment at Zero Hedge

When your team has the ball, you get 4 "downs", or plays, in football. The first play is first down, then second down, third down and fourth down.

Thank you for all that. I'll have to re-read that few times.
    Why would you do that?

When you get control of the ball, you get four plays to advance ten yards toward the goal. If you don't, they take the ball away from you and you get no points. If you do get ten yards, they say, you got a first down, and give you four more plays.

Better than a wall of text?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I dislike when people use football analogies

When your team has the ball, you get 4 "downs", etc...
    Thank you for the attempt at explaining - it was thoughtful of you and I started to read it - but 1 1/2 sentence into it, I was reminded that football is meaningless and boring, and requires that one shut off 99.9% of oneís thought processes. I realized I don't care enough to learn anything about itís intricacies and stopped reading.

I will never understand how so many otherwise thought-capable people derive anything positive from the ritual of gathering in groups and watching strangers play such a brainless, boring game. Ex.ďHeís got the ball! Oh, he dropped it!" [Stop game.] "Heís got the ball! Oh, he dropped it!" [Stop game.] Repeat one thousand times...

Participating in football-watching strikes me as an exercise in extreme, brain-warping, conformity.

No offense dannno. It was considerate of you to take the time to explain - I just can't care. Sorry, I guess I should have put this in the unpopular opinion thread.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Why would you do that?
    Yes, why conform to dullness?

When you get control of the ball, you get four plays to advance ten yards toward the goal. If you don't, they take the ball away from you and you get no points. If you do get ten yards, they say, you got a first down, and give you four more plays.

Yes, it explains the level of "good" (It's good, but much work remains) without expecting me to delve into the sport.

...Oh, did I mention that I can't stand football?

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    (It's good, but much work remains)
    Exactly.

You may scoff at football analogies all you want, but there really is no better analogy for Republican politicians. The way you win is, you reach the other team's goal as often as possible while trying to prevent anyone from achieving your goal.

As long as we let money drive elections, that will always describe the lot of "limited government candidates".
    Last edited by acptulsa; 04-24-2024 at 11:03 AM.

Thank you for the attempt at explaining - it was thoughtful of you and I started to read it - but 1 1/2 sentence into it, I was reminded that football is meaningless and boring, and requires that one shut off 99.9% of one’s thought processes. I realized I don't care enough to learn anything about it’s intricacies and stopped reading.

I will never understand how so many otherwise thought-capable people derive anything positive from the ritual of gathering in groups and watching strangers play such a brainless, boring game. Ex.“He’s got the ball! Oh, he dropped it!" [Stop game.] "He’s got the ball! Oh, he dropped it!" [Stop game.] Repeat one thousand times...

Participating in football-watching strikes me as an exercise in extreme, brain-warping, conformity.

No offense dannno. It was considerate of you to take the time to explain - I just can't care. Sorry, I guess I should have put this in the unpopular opinion thread.

Yes, it explains the level of "good" (It's good, but much work remains) without expecting me to delve into the sport.

I never really watched football, unless somebody else put it on, which happened a lot when I was a kid since my dad watched. That was decades ago. I did play football when I was younger and my dad took me to NFL and college games, that was fun. It's also fun to watch when you are rooting for your 'team'.. however the NFL is so woke there is no way in hell I would start watching now. I only watch UFC, they are based.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Why would you do that?

My explanation included an example of how you would get to the point where Massie's quote comes into play, which takes a bit of explaining.

My explanation included an example of how you would get to the point where Massie's quote comes into play, which takes a bit of explaining.
    Valli6 got Massie's point, and he didn't have to get out the machete and chop out the undergrowth to find it.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 04-24-2024 at 10:54 AM.

Thank you for the attempt at explaining - it was thoughtful of you and I started to read it - but 1 1/2 sentence into it, I was reminded that football is meaningless and boring, and requires that one shut off 99.9% of one’s thought processes. I realized I don't care enough to learn anything about it’s intricacies and stopped reading.

I will never understand how so many otherwise thought-capable people derive anything positive from the ritual of gathering in groups and watching strangers play such a brainless, boring game. Ex.“He’s got the ball! Oh, he dropped it!" [Stop game.] "He’s got the ball! Oh, he dropped it!" [Stop game.] Repeat one thousand times...

That's kind of the way I always viewed sports. Like, what's the point of all this? That said, there are a lot of intelligent and aware people who like and play games, right? Thomas Massie seems to know about football. Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like bread and circuses. Besides, we can watch and follow real wars on the internet.

~comment at Zero Hedge

Valli6 got Massie's point, and he didn't have to get out the machete and chop out the undergrowth to find it.
    lol

~comment at Zero Hedge

Very concise explanation of the basic rules of Football. Good Job!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's kind of the way I always viewed sports. Like, what's the point of all this? That said, there are a lot of intelligent and aware people who like and play games, right? Thomas Massie seems to know about football. Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like bread and circuses. Besides, we can watch and follow real wars on the internet.
    Have you ever seen that show "The Masked Singer"?

A lot of people really enjoy it.

I hate it. I don't like the music, and worse, I have no idea who the $#@! it is even after they take their mask off.

But people who like the music and know who the person is beneath the mask love the show.

I have a hard time even watching professional golf, even though I'm very good at golf, I used to like watching it when I knew who the players were. I have no idea who the players are anymore.

The trick is just to pick a team to root for a go with it. If your husband likes the Lions, buy a Lion's jersey, learn the basic rules and root for the team. You'll probably get into it. Especially if they have a good season this year, that always helps a lot.

I watch UFC, I love UFC, but I still have a hard time watching fights where I don't know who the fighters are for very long. If I don't know any of the fighters on the entire card on a fight night, forget about it.. But at least if you are looking forward to the main card and know who those fighters are, I can get through it.

If you know who the fighters are, you know their backstory, you pay attention to all the drama happening between fights, it's way more fun. I had a friend who was into it, in fact, I think he likes the drama just as much as the fights. He got me into it a little bit so I was familiar with a few of the fighters, and watching their fights was fun. So I started watching UFC news channels on youtube, found out who more of the fighters were and paid attention to the drama between the fights. Now I look forward to and enjoy more of the fights.

Have you ever seen that show "The Masked Singer"?

A lot of people really enjoy it.

I hate it. I don't like the music, and worse, I have no idea who the $#@! it is even after they take their mask off.

But people who like the music and know who the person is beneath the mask love the show.

I have a hard time even watching professional golf, even though I'm very good at golf, I used to like watching it when I knew who the players were. I have no idea who the players are anymore.

The trick is just to pick a team to root for a go with it. If your husband likes the Lions, buy a Lion's jersey, learn the basic rules and root for the team. You'll probably get into it. Especially if they have a good season this year, that always helps a lot.

I watch UFC, I love UFC, but I still have a hard time watching fights where I don't know who the fighters are for very long. If I don't know any of the fighters on the entire card on a fight night, forget about it.. But at least if you are looking forward to the main card and know who those fighters are, I can get through it.

If you know who the fighters are, you know their backstory, you pay attention to all the drama happening between fights, it's way more fun. I had a friend who was into it, in fact, I think he likes the drama just as much as the fights. He got me into it a little bit so I was familiar with a few of the fighters, and watching their fights was fun. So I started watching UFC news channels on youtube, found out who more of the fighters were and paid attention to the drama between the fights. Now I look forward to and enjoy more of the fights.
    You're funny. I wouldn't be caught dead in a jersey, lol. It's just too NPC. I did used to enjoy watching Barry Sanders, though. I didn't need to know the rules to appreciate him.

~comment at Zero Hedge

If you know who the fighters are, you know their backstory, you pay attention to all the drama happening between fights, it's way more fun.
    Never mind athleticism. Give us soap operas.

Politics is more fun when they make a soap opera out of it too, isn't it? Never mind who's the best. Root for whomever has the most amusing soap opera role.

Thank you for the attempt at explaining - it was thoughtful of you and I started to read it - but 1 1/2 sentence into it, I was reminded that football is meaningless and boring, and requires that one shut off 99.9% of oneís thought processes. I realized I don't care enough to learn anything about itís intricacies and stopped reading.

I will never understand how so many otherwise thought-capable people derive anything positive from the ritual of gathering in groups and watching strangers play such a brainless, boring game. Ex.ďHeís got the ball! Oh, he dropped it!" [Stop game.] "Heís got the ball! Oh, he dropped it!" [Stop game.] Repeat one thousand times...

It's a sport that men play. You wouldn't understand
    I am the current Champion of "The Dallas Cowboys will win the NFC, Pick'em Contest" and you are not

Jer. 11:18-20. "The Kingdom of God has come upon you." -- Matthew 12:28