Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 188

Thread: Pro-Palestine / Anti-Israel protests at Columbia, elsewhere

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    They're learning to appreciate it...

    https://twitter.com/stillgray/status...91321431318550



    And four years before 2020, were all of the mobs of commies who attacked Trump supporters going to his rallies. Post election, the Women's March. Wasn't that also around the same time of Antifa raising hell and those great fights with the Proud Boys?
    My two daughters and I were gang-raped by some of the Newcomers. It landed us in the hospital for 3 weeks as several bones were broken. I don't blame them, it was a sexual emergency and I wasn't about to go all white privilege and deny them the release they needed, especially after being stuck in a hotel for months. I see the Newcomers as family now. They are on our side and will help us stop Trump. It is a small price to pay. Anything but Trump.

    -GLP poster



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #32



  4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  5. #33
    Free Palestine.
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

  6. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Free Palestine.
    I agree with that. And, keep the muzzies over there.
    My two daughters and I were gang-raped by some of the Newcomers. It landed us in the hospital for 3 weeks as several bones were broken. I don't blame them, it was a sexual emergency and I wasn't about to go all white privilege and deny them the release they needed, especially after being stuck in a hotel for months. I see the Newcomers as family now. They are on our side and will help us stop Trump. It is a small price to pay. Anything but Trump.

    -GLP poster

  7. #35
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

    • "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

    · tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

  8. #36


    Jer. 11:18-20. "The Kingdom of God has come upon you." -- Matthew 12:28

  9. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    The Small Hat Club created a hell of a golem, didn't they?
    The Zoomerwaffen...
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

    "Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

    "Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

  10. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by susano View Post
    I'm enjoying the sh*tshow
    sh*t(show) just got serious ...

    Johnson demands Biden send in National Guard during raucous Columbia visit
    The speaker faced an unruly crowd shouting “Mike, you suck!” and chants of “free Palestine.”
    https://www.politico.com/news/2024/0...guard-00154199
    {Madina Touré & Irie Sentner | 24 April 2024}

    NEW YORK — Speaker Mike Johnson said he will call Joe Biden and demand the president send the National Guard to Columbia University — an escalation after protesters constantly shouted him and other Republicans down during a visit to the campus Wednesday.

    Johnson, flanked by GOP lawmakers from New York and elsewhere, repeated his calls for the university’s embattled president to step down. But protesters shouted “who are you people?” “Mike, you suck!” and chanted “free Palestine,” making it almost impossible for the gaggle of reporters and others to hear the speaker.

    “This is dangerous. This is not the First Amendment, this is not free expression,” Johnson said.

    He later added: “If this is not contained quickly and if these threats and intimidation are not stopped, there is an appropriate time for the National Guard.”

    Johnson directly faced the Gaza Solidarity Encampment that has thrown the Ivy League campus into turmoil over the past week — demonstrations that have drawn bipartisan anger over incidents of antisemitism. Johnson earlier in the day called Columbia President Minouche Shafik a “weak and inept leader” who can’t guarantee the safety of Jewish students during a radio interview.

    While he’s the most senior elected official so far to push for Shafik’s resignation, numerous Republican lawmakers — including New York’s GOP delegation — and at least one Democrat, Sen. John Fetterman (D-Pa.) [see this post and this post - OB], are also pushing for her ouster.

    “My message to the students inside the encampment is go back to class and stop the nonsense,” Johnson said. “Stop wasting your parents’ money.”

    Johnson’s comments Wednesday capped off a week of chaos at the school that started when Shafik and other university leadership testified before House lawmakers, followed by her calling in police to arrest around 100 pro-Palestinian demonstrators who had camped out on campus. The protests and arrests spawned similar demonstrations at NYU, Yale, MIT and beyond and have become the latest domestic flashpoint in the ongoing Israel-Hamas conflict.

    “Columbia University is in a free fall,” House Education Committee Chair Virginia Foxx (R-N.C.) said Wednesday, accusing Shafik of presenting false testimony during the hearing.

    “I have a message for President Shafik and a message for you all too: The inmates are running the asylum,” she added.

    The lawmakers met with Shafik ahead of the news conference, Rep. Mike Lawler (R-N.Y.) said, adding that it was time for her “to resign in disgrace.”

    “After listening to her comments inside, it is clear she has no intention of getting this university under control,” he said.

    Columbia spokesperson Ben Chang said in a Zoom press briefing shortly after the lawmakers spoke that a rumor the university was planning to send in the National Guard was “untrue and an unsubstantiated claim.” But he emphasized that “the current protest is in violation of university rules, full stop,” and that officials were taking action to end it.

    In an email sent to the university community at 4:09 a.m Wednesday, the Office of the President wrote that Columbia will continue negotiating with the encampment’s representatives for 48 hours. It also said that demonstrators have committed to “removing a significant number of tents,” ensuring non-affiliates leave the encampment, complying with FDNY rules and prohibiting “discriminatory or harassing language.”

    Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday also condemned the campus demonstrations, saying that what’s “happening in America’s college campuses is horrific. Antisemitic mobs have taken over leading universities.”

    Like Shafik, Johnson is facing calls to resign. Conservatives livid over his support of military aid to Ukraine are threatening to vote to oust him, and his visit to Columbia seemed like a safe way to bolster his conservative credentials.

    “I think by the speaker being here, he’s showing support for the Jewish students,” said Rep. Nicole Malliotakis (R-N.Y.), who spoke to POLITICO shortly before Johnson arrived on campus and joined him at Columbia. “But really I think that perhaps the real way to get this under control is for the president of the university to resign, and I think the speaker coming here, adding his voice, goes a long way.”

    A Columbia spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment and declined to make Shafik available for an interview.

    The Upper Manhattan campus wasn’t a familiar scene for Johnson, an evangelical Christian born and raised in the mid-sized city of Shreveport, La., who graduated from Louisiana State University. During a radio appearance Wednesday ahead of the rally, Johnson said his alma mater wouldn’t “tolerate” antisemitism on its campus and that if it happened there now, he’d be “down there myself.”

    Democrats have also visited Columbia in recent days to support its Jewish students, including Reps. Josh Gottheimer of New Jersey, Dan Goldman of New York and Jared Moskowitz of Florida. They denounced antisemitism and criticized Shafik and other university administrators for not doing more to protect Jewish students.

    President Joe Biden’s position has been less clear. He declined to answer whether Shafik should step down when asked earlier this week, though the White House has released statements condemning antisemitism at Columbia.

    Despite bipartisan backlash over the protests, tensions between Democrats and Republicans still rose to the surface.

    Gov. Kathy Hochul accused Johnson of playing politics for holding a press conference on campus and sowing further division. The speaker, she said, should instead focus on taking up the border security bill, arguing there’s “a lot more responsibilities and crises to be dealt with in Washington.”

    “I think politicizing this and bringing the entourage to put a spotlight on this is only adding to the division,” the governor told reporters. “A speaker worth the title should really be trying to heal people and not divide them. So I don’t think it adds to anything.”

    Hochul on Monday morning traveled to the Columbia campus to meet privately with First Deputy Mayor Sheena Wright, Shafik and the NYPD, vowing to protect students dealing with persecution due to their religious beliefs.

    Rep. Jamaal Bowman (D-N.Y.) — who has accused Columbia of bowing to “right wing pressure” with its arrests of students — dubbed Johnson’s visit as another tactic in a conservative attack on educational institutions and an effort to silence “anti-war and pro-Palestinian sentiment.”

    He accused Johnson and Foxx of working to defund the federal Education Department’s Office of Civil Rights that is probing antisemitism at colleges and universities.

    “These Republican right-wing extremists have called for the criminalization and repression of students peacefully protesting for our shared humanity,” Bowman said in a statement.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 04-25-2024 at 12:58 AM.

  11. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Johnson demands Biden send in National Guard during raucous Columbia visit
    The speaker faced an unruly crowd shouting “Mike, you suck!” and chants of “free Palestine.”
    https://www.politico.com/news/2024/0...guard-00154199
    {Madina Touré & Irie Sentner | 24 April 2024}

    [...]
    https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1783289409351131170




    https://twitter.com/JesseKellyDC/sta...49838131318817

  12. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Johnson demands Biden send in National Guard during raucous Columbia visit
    The speaker faced an unruly crowd shouting “Mike, you suck!” and chants of “free Palestine.”
    https://www.politico.com/news/2024/0...guard-00154199
    {Madina Touré & Irie Sentner | 24 April 2024}

    [...]
    Progressive leftist says "words are violence!"

    Oh, wait ... no, that's Mike Johnson ... never mind ...

    https://twitter.com/SpeakerJohnson/s...41235068522982



  13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  14. #41
    College protests somehow got dumber
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gioa1NNxRA
    {Decoy Voice | 24 April 2024}


  15. #42
    @Occam's Banana - I guess Mike Johnson doesn't know anything about Kent State. I'd be shocked if the NG were ever used on a college again, after that.

    I don't think I've ever watched a political drama unfold where I hate all of the players but I do here. We've got the poor, persecuted Jews ready to blow this up into Kristallnacht; maybe some well intentioned but still Marxist woketard and very spoiled students; outside agitator Marxists; Zio Christians; neocons; Zio Demcraps; cops; muzzies (the ones in the US). I'm also disgusted that there are no conservatives standing up for the Palestinians.

    Today I saw a proof of life video, released by Hamas, of one of the Israeli-American hostages. Young guy who looked very cute before but looked in bad shape in the video. He lost one hand in the bombings of gaza. He slammed Netanyahu for their not yet being released. I'm sure Hamas pushed him to say it but also felt that meant it. While I have no use for Israel, I feel the same about Hamas and wonder WTF they were planning on achieving by what they've put into motion. It's almost as if they conspired with Netanyahu, eh?
    My two daughters and I were gang-raped by some of the Newcomers. It landed us in the hospital for 3 weeks as several bones were broken. I don't blame them, it was a sexual emergency and I wasn't about to go all white privilege and deny them the release they needed, especially after being stuck in a hotel for months. I see the Newcomers as family now. They are on our side and will help us stop Trump. It is a small price to pay. Anything but Trump.

    -GLP poster

  16. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    College protests somehow got dumber
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gioa1NNxRA
    {Decoy Voice | 24 April 2024}

    Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    They don't care about jack $#@!. This is a 100k a year liberal college. They are the offspring of the elite. They think it's cool to protest. They have no $#@!ing clue.

    You think these kids would defend America? Think they would go to Gaza and fight the IDF? $#@! no, they would do a tik tok dance to stop the war.
    He certainly called that.
    My two daughters and I were gang-raped by some of the Newcomers. It landed us in the hospital for 3 weeks as several bones were broken. I don't blame them, it was a sexual emergency and I wasn't about to go all white privilege and deny them the release they needed, especially after being stuck in a hotel for months. I see the Newcomers as family now. They are on our side and will help us stop Trump. It is a small price to pay. Anything but Trump.

    -GLP poster

  17. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by susano View Post
    I'm also disgusted that there are no conservatives standing up for the Palestinians.
    The neocons called. They're out to reclaim the GOP and evict all the pesky conservatives.







    Last edited by acptulsa; 04-25-2024 at 05:39 AM.

  18. #45

    https://twitter.com/EmeraldRobinson/...65885748105459
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

    Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

  19. #46
    Don't worry, it'll all be OK now...

    And the "parents"...Marxist white women, every one of them.

    Cross-dresser makes children chant 'Free Palestine' during reading session at Massachusetts art center - even though Hamas tortures gays

    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...achusetts.html

    RACHEL BOWMAN FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

    PUBLISHED: 18:46 EDT, 24 April 2024 | UPDATED: 20:10 EDT, 24 April 2024

    A drag queen was recorded ordering children to chant 'Free Palestine' during a queeer story time event at a Massachusetts art center.

    Performer Lil Miss Hot Mess read stories to kids during the Queeer Storytime for Palestine event at the Northampton Center for the Arts on April 14.

    The event, organized by Valley Families for Palestine, was intended for preschool through upper elementary school aged children.

    Lil Miss Hot Mess wore a sparkly red dress, green boa and a large watermelon shaped brooch while reading her book 'If You're a Drag Queen and You Know It.'

    'If you're a drag queen and you know it shout "Free Palestine,"' the drag queen said.



    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 04-25-2024 at 10:39 AM.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

  20. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    College protests somehow got dumber
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gioa1NNxRA
    {Decoy Voice | 24 April 2024}

    That's a good vid, not longwinded and definitely painless, as his vids always are. But for those who want this clip solo...

    https://twitter.com/visegrad24/statu...98072215851465



    I wonder if as many as two percent of these oh-so-educated protesters know that Israel created Hamas.

  21. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by susano View Post
    I'm also disgusted that there are no conservatives standing up for the Palestinians.
    As far as I'm concerned, the conservative, America First, patriot position on this is: $#@! all of them.

    Both Arab and Jew have committed themselves to destruction of white western Christian civilization.

    They can all go straight to hell, once they get the $#@! out of my country.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan



  22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  23. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, the conservative, America First, patriot position on this is: $#@! all of them.
    Yes. Then Israel uses the money our (often Republican) politicians sent them to tear down that mosque to make room for the new temple. And Iran takes offense, so Israel starts tossing the nukes our politicians gave them all around, and...


  24. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Yes. Then Israel uses the money our (often Republican) politicians sent them to tear down that mosque to make room for the new temple. And Iran takes offense, so Israel starts tossing the nukes our politicians gave them all around, and...
    Why in the world are we giving any of them money?

    Did I say keep giving them money?

    Why is that always the response, whether it's foreign invaders or overseas intervention in endless wars: "well we pay them do it"?

    No, of course not, $#@! their money, and their paid off politicians and $#@! them.

    Had enough of this $#@!.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

  25. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Why in the world are we giving any of them money?
    Believe McConnell when he tells you. We aren't giving it to them. We're giving it to the MIC.

    Lend-Lease for Ukraine! Boeing is having trouble selling to the private sector for some reason...

    All the Ukraine is getting out of the deal is depopulated.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 04-25-2024 at 10:58 AM.

  26. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Believe McConnell when he tells you. We aren't giving it to them. We're giving it to the MIC.

    Lend-Lease for Ukraine! Boeing is having trouble selling to the private sector for some reason...
    Yeah, well, $#@! them too.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

  27. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Yeah, well, $#@! them too.
    Suits me. I was always a Douglas fan anyway.


  28. #54

  29. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, the conservative, America First, patriot position on this is: $#@! all of them.

    Both Arab and Jew have committed themselves to destruction of white western Christian civilization.

    They can all go straight to hell, once they get the $#@! out of my country.
    I'm not there yet. I feel sympathy for the Palestinians. What the Israelis are doing to them is a war crime plain and simple. That said, I don't want the US involved on either side. This conflict is in no way a security threat to the US. As far as the Israelis, I think all funding to them should stop. Johnson should be removed for sending them further aid.

  30. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    I predicted all this.
    lol
    My two daughters and I were gang-raped by some of the Newcomers. It landed us in the hospital for 3 weeks as several bones were broken. I don't blame them, it was a sexual emergency and I wasn't about to go all white privilege and deny them the release they needed, especially after being stuck in a hotel for months. I see the Newcomers as family now. They are on our side and will help us stop Trump. It is a small price to pay. Anything but Trump.

    -GLP poster



  31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  32. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, the conservative, America First, patriot position on this is: $#@! all of them.

    Both Arab and Jew have committed themselves to destruction of white western Christian civilization.

    They can all go straight to hell, once they get the $#@! out of my country.
    I don't think the Palestinians ever gave much thought to white western Christians. They lived with middle eastern Christians pretty well, as I understand. It was white foreigners, the British, who brought the hell of the Jewish state upon them.

    If the Jews manage to ethnically cleanse the Palestinians, it will be the UN and the State Dept who try shipping them to the west. We agree, though. Don't want them here.
    My two daughters and I were gang-raped by some of the Newcomers. It landed us in the hospital for 3 weeks as several bones were broken. I don't blame them, it was a sexual emergency and I wasn't about to go all white privilege and deny them the release they needed, especially after being stuck in a hotel for months. I see the Newcomers as family now. They are on our side and will help us stop Trump. It is a small price to pay. Anything but Trump.

    -GLP poster

  33. #58
    Welll $#@!, even a busted clock is right twice a day.

    Gotta support anyone opposed to the Zionazis and their decades old occupation of our government and now the open takeover of the private sector.

  34. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    Welll $#@!, even a busted clock is right twice a day.

    Gotta support anyone opposed to the Zionazis and their decades old occupation of our government and now the open takeover of the private sector.
    Yup and I'm extremely uncomfortable when I find myself in agreement with the Squad.
    My two daughters and I were gang-raped by some of the Newcomers. It landed us in the hospital for 3 weeks as several bones were broken. I don't blame them, it was a sexual emergency and I wasn't about to go all white privilege and deny them the release they needed, especially after being stuck in a hotel for months. I see the Newcomers as family now. They are on our side and will help us stop Trump. It is a small price to pay. Anything but Trump.

    -GLP poster

  35. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    sh*t(show) just got serious ...

    Johnson demands Biden send in National Guard during raucous Columbia visit
    The speaker faced an unruly crowd shouting “Mike, you suck!” and chants of “free Palestine.”
    https://www.politico.com/news/2024/0...guard-00154199
    {Madina Touré & Irie Sentner | 24 April 2024}

    NEW YORK — Speaker Mike Johnson said he will call Joe Biden and demand the president send the National Guard to Columbia University — an escalation after protesters constantly shouted him and other Republicans down during a visit to the campus Wednesday.

    Johnson, flanked by GOP lawmakers from New York and elsewhere, repeated his calls for the university’s embattled president to step down. But protesters shouted “who are you people?” “Mike, you suck!” and chanted “free Palestine,” making it almost impossible for the gaggle of reporters and others to hear the speaker.

    “This is dangerous. This is not the First Amendment, this is not free expression,” Johnson said.

    He later added: “If this is not contained quickly and if these threats and intimidation are not stopped, there is an appropriate time for the National Guard.”

    Johnson directly faced the Gaza Solidarity Encampment that has thrown the Ivy League campus into turmoil over the past week — demonstrations that have drawn bipartisan anger over incidents of antisemitism. Johnson earlier in the day called Columbia President Minouche Shafik a “weak and inept leader” who can’t guarantee the safety of Jewish students during a radio interview.

    While he’s the most senior elected official so far to push for Shafik’s resignation, numerous Republican lawmakers — including New York’s GOP delegation — and at least one Democrat, Sen. John Fetterman (D-Pa.) [see this post and this post - OB], are also pushing for her ouster.

    “My message to the students inside the encampment is go back to class and stop the nonsense,” Johnson said. “Stop wasting your parents’ money.”

    Johnson’s comments Wednesday capped off a week of chaos at the school that started when Shafik and other university leadership testified before House lawmakers, followed by her calling in police to arrest around 100 pro-Palestinian demonstrators who had camped out on campus. The protests and arrests spawned similar demonstrations at NYU, Yale, MIT and beyond and have become the latest domestic flashpoint in the ongoing Israel-Hamas conflict.

    “Columbia University is in a free fall,” House Education Committee Chair Virginia Foxx (R-N.C.) said Wednesday, accusing Shafik of presenting false testimony during the hearing.

    “I have a message for President Shafik and a message for you all too: The inmates are running the asylum,” she added.

    The lawmakers met with Shafik ahead of the news conference, Rep. Mike Lawler (R-N.Y.) said, adding that it was time for her “to resign in disgrace.”

    “After listening to her comments inside, it is clear she has no intention of getting this university under control,” he said.

    Columbia spokesperson Ben Chang said in a Zoom press briefing shortly after the lawmakers spoke that a rumor the university was planning to send in the National Guard was “untrue and an unsubstantiated claim.” But he emphasized that “the current protest is in violation of university rules, full stop,” and that officials were taking action to end it.

    In an email sent to the university community at 4:09 a.m Wednesday, the Office of the President wrote that Columbia will continue negotiating with the encampment’s representatives for 48 hours. It also said that demonstrators have committed to “removing a significant number of tents,” ensuring non-affiliates leave the encampment, complying with FDNY rules and prohibiting “discriminatory or harassing language.”

    Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday also condemned the campus demonstrations, saying that what’s “happening in America’s college campuses is horrific. Antisemitic mobs have taken over leading universities.”

    Like Shafik, Johnson is facing calls to resign. Conservatives livid over his support of military aid to Ukraine are threatening to vote to oust him, and his visit to Columbia seemed like a safe way to bolster his conservative credentials.

    “I think by the speaker being here, he’s showing support for the Jewish students,” said Rep. Nicole Malliotakis (R-N.Y.), who spoke to POLITICO shortly before Johnson arrived on campus and joined him at Columbia. “But really I think that perhaps the real way to get this under control is for the president of the university to resign, and I think the speaker coming here, adding his voice, goes a long way.”

    A Columbia spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment and declined to make Shafik available for an interview.

    The Upper Manhattan campus wasn’t a familiar scene for Johnson, an evangelical Christian born and raised in the mid-sized city of Shreveport, La., who graduated from Louisiana State University. During a radio appearance Wednesday ahead of the rally, Johnson said his alma mater wouldn’t “tolerate” antisemitism on its campus and that if it happened there now, he’d be “down there myself.”

    Democrats have also visited Columbia in recent days to support its Jewish students, including Reps. Josh Gottheimer of New Jersey, Dan Goldman of New York and Jared Moskowitz of Florida. They denounced antisemitism and criticized Shafik and other university administrators for not doing more to protect Jewish students.

    President Joe Biden’s position has been less clear. He declined to answer whether Shafik should step down when asked earlier this week, though the White House has released statements condemning antisemitism at Columbia.

    Despite bipartisan backlash over the protests, tensions between Democrats and Republicans still rose to the surface.

    Gov. Kathy Hochul accused Johnson of playing politics for holding a press conference on campus and sowing further division. The speaker, she said, should instead focus on taking up the border security bill, arguing there’s “a lot more responsibilities and crises to be dealt with in Washington.”

    “I think politicizing this and bringing the entourage to put a spotlight on this is only adding to the division,” the governor told reporters. “A speaker worth the title should really be trying to heal people and not divide them. So I don’t think it adds to anything.”

    Hochul on Monday morning traveled to the Columbia campus to meet privately with First Deputy Mayor Sheena Wright, Shafik and the NYPD, vowing to protect students dealing with persecution due to their religious beliefs.

    Rep. Jamaal Bowman (D-N.Y.) — who has accused Columbia of bowing to “right wing pressure” with its arrests of students — dubbed Johnson’s visit as another tactic in a conservative attack on educational institutions and an effort to silence “anti-war and pro-Palestinian sentiment.”

    He accused Johnson and Foxx of working to defund the federal Education Department’s Office of Civil Rights that is probing antisemitism at colleges and universities.

    “These Republican right-wing extremists have called for the criminalization and repression of students peacefully protesting for our shared humanity,” Bowman said in a statement.
    OK so does jonson really believe biden is over ny national guard or is it trolling ?
    Do something Danke

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-06-2019, 09:25 PM
  2. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-25-2013, 07:43 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 12:58 AM
  4. Anyone else hate BOTH Palestine and Israel?
    By AuH20 in forum World News & Affairs
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 06-02-2010, 03:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •