Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatever Happened to KOLCHAK The NIGHT STALKER?

Whatever Happened to KOLCHAK The NIGHT STALKER?

Anyone remember this show?

Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Anyone remember this show?
    Hell, yeah! I loved that show. Kolchak was a great character.

It's a damn shame it only got one season and so few episodes.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Hell, yeah! I loved that show. Kolchak was a great character.

It's a damn shame it only got one season and so few episodes.

It’s one of my faves too. I rewatch it every now and then when I’m feeling nostalgic for the 70s.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

What? No more Kolchak fans?
    Chris

What? No more Kolchak fans?
    Always thought Mulder and Scully should have crossed paths with Kolchak on one of their episodes (or at least pick up some clues that he left behind). Darren McGavin appeared on a couple of episodes of the X Files, but never as Kolchak. I guess it was in tribute to some ideological linkage between the two series.
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 04-16-2024 at 10:07 AM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

I loved this show as a kid. It now airs every Saturday at midnight on MeTV.
    Wish there were more episodes.

It’s one of my faves too. I rewatch it every now and then when I’m feeling nostalgic for the 70s.
    Kolchak was great. Me and the guys I grew up with all watched it.

We were science nerds as well and we watched this religiously.

“It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

OK, let's make this a "Favorite 70s TV show" thread.

I won't hog up a bunch of top choices, I'll just leave this here and let ya'll fill the thread.

“It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 04-16-2024 at 03:19 PM.

Whatever Happened to KOLCHAK The NIGHT STALKER?
    Heard of it, never watched it.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    I remember loving the Night Stalker as a kid.

I don't remember Movin On...

I do remember Valerie Bertinelli in One Day at a Time!
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

And it's predecessor, "UFO".

I believe both are on Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcgDpQjkum8
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

What is this, a poll by invitation only? I'm honored.

Caught the whole season as a kid. Thought it was goofy, but different. The two hour special was timely, as we were about to visit Seattle and didn't know about the "underground" tour. Which we did and was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    What is this, a poll by invitation only? I'm honored.

Caught the whole season as a kid. Thought it was goofy, but different. The two hour special was timely, as we were about to visit Seattle and didn't know about the "underground" tour. Which we did and was cool.
    Pay your "Favorite TV Show of the 70s" tax

Pay your "Favorite TV Show of the 70s" tax

//
    Never heard of Kolchack. Probably won't know most of these since it's a bit before my time. As a wee lad, I watched reruns of the Dukes of Hazzard. My favorite show was Knight Rider. I am just old enough that I saw the final season air live but the rest were all reruns. I also watched A-Team, Airwolf, Grizzly Adams, McGyver, etc. even though I didn't understand all of it. Oddly, I did follow and enjoy the Perry Mason reruns, even though much of the language was over my head. The Twilight Zone reruns were interesting but also creeped me out. My cartoons were He-Man, GI Joe, Transformers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. My sister watched Care Bears and My Little Pony but I could never figure out what was even happening in those cartoons. By the time I was in my pre-teens, our family had decided to kill the TV (and I'm glad they did!) so I actually didn't watch most 90's TV until I became an adult and binged a few of the greats on DVD. I have watched some Big Bang Theory and a few other shows but, other than that, I don't watch TV. So I won't have a lot of input on this thread.
    Jer. 11:18-20. "The Kingdom of God has come upon you." -- Matthew 12:28

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    Always thought Mulder and Scully should have crossed paths with Kolchak on one of their episodes (or at least pick up some clues that he left behind). Darren McGavin appeared on a couple of episodes of the X Files, but never as Kolchak. I guess it was in tribute to some ideological linkage between the two series.
    It was. According to Chris Carter, the Night Stalker was one of the primary inspirations for the X Files.

I remember seeing or hearing something about why the Kolchak character never actually appeared in The X Files, but I can't recall the reason. It probably had something to do with not being able to get the rights. Using Darren McGavin as another character was the closest they could come.

Does Star Trek count? It had its final season in '69, but syndication in the '70s is where it really came into its own.

I used to watch it every day after school, It came on at 4:00 PM every weekday afternoon. I watched it so much, it got to the point where I could give you the title of the episode and a brief synopsis of the plot after seeing/hearing less than 10 seconds or so of the start. I credit Star Trek for getting me into "serious" science fiction (by which I mean science fiction for science fiction audiences, rather than science fiction for general audiences). Except for the movies based on the original series, I was never able to "get into" all the spin-off stuff that came later (with a few superb exceptions such as Firefly, I've never been able to muster much interest in general-audience "sci-fi" stuff).

I won't hog up a bunch of top choices, I'll just leave this here and let ya'll fill the thread.

Ok, you sucked me in. I NEVER missed an episode of this one. My hands down favorite 70s TV show ever, bar none.

Chris

Another good one. So far every show was one my family watched regularly.
    Space 1999
    Moving On
    Kung Fu (of course)
    Rockford Files
    Chris

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    +1 for:
    Kung Fu
    Rockford Files

Anyone else remember this one?

Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Here's a fair amount of evidence that he probably was feeling some frustration and time pressure that day...

Nobody's mentioned my other two favorites. This isn't either one. It wasn't even made in the seventies. But it's a pretty good hint what those other two were, for those who were around at the time. And why I loved them.

Last edited by acptulsa; 04-16-2024 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Does Star Trek count? It had its final season in '69, but syndication in the '70s is where it really came into its own.

I used to watch it every day after school, It came on at 4:00 PM every weekday afternoon. I watched it so much, it got to the point where I could give you the title of the episode and a brief synopsis of the plot after seeing/hearing less than 10 seconds or so of the start. I credit Star Trek for getting me into "serious" science fiction (by which I mean science fiction for science fiction audiences, rather than science fiction for general audiences). Except for the movies based on the original series, I was never able to "get into" all the spin-off stuff that came later (with a few superb exceptions such as Firefly, I've never been able to muster much interest in general-audience "sci-fi" stuff).
    Yes, by all means TOS counts.

There is only one Captain and that is James Tiberius Kirk.

Favorite episode?

This is mine:

"Mirror Mirror"

Second favorite:

"Patterns of Force"

Third favorite:

"The Last Voyage" (LOL - I am old enough to remember this when it was first broadcast.)

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 04-16-2024 at 03:46 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What happened to good "theme" music by the way?

It was worth "tuning in" just to listen to the opening theme.

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 04-16-2024 at 03:50 PM.

No, no. No "they used to do this perfectly all the time and now it all sucks" noise about TV themes. The exact same time period that gave us the theme to Peter Gunn (happy centenary, Mancini) also saddled us with the theme to Mr. Ed.

I won't post the video, just this link (because being an 80's show, not a 70's, it doesn't fit this thread). The esteemed Ms. Rowling may have issues with the third verse (1:04 - 1:20), which was never played on the show.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Yes, by all means TOS counts.

There is only one Captain and that is James Tiberius Kirk.
    Damn straight!

Favorite episode?

This is mine:

"Mirror Mirror"

Second favorite:

"Patterns of Force"
    Those are great ones. I also really like "The City on the Edge of Forever" and "Balance of Terror".

"A Piece of the Action" and "The Trouble with Tribbles" - two of the most humorous episodes - are also among my favorites.

Another favorite is "Journey to Babylon", which introduced the character Sarek (Spock's father). Sarek was played by Mark Lenard, one of my two favorite Star Trek actors outside the regular cast (he also played the Romulan captain in "Balance of Terror", and reprised the role of Sarek in several of the movies). My other favorite non-regular cast member was Roger Carmel, who played Harcourt Fenton "Harry" Mudd. Mudd was the only recurring character outside the crew, appearing in "Mudd's Women" and "I, Mudd". (Carmel was supposed to appear as Mudd in "The Trouble with Tribbles", too, but there was a scheduling conflict, so they had to replace him with another actor/character.)

Third favorite:

"The Last Voyage" (LOL - I am old enough to remember this when it was first broadcast.)

A classic lost episode!

Last edited by Occam's Banana; 04-16-2024 at 05:29 PM.

"Oh, just one more thing" ... the '70s gave us the best TV detective of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB-jlomZhHU

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast