Thread: CNN has a "Fear & Greed Index"

CNN has a "Fear & Greed Index"

Today I learned the business section of CNN's website includes a "Fear & Greed Index" at the head of every page.

I rarely (as in "almost but not quite never") go to CNN for anything, so this is news to me. (I only discovered it because I went there to fetch the source for this post.) I have no idea how long they've been using it - but it doesn't surprise me that they'd characterize the entirety of the market in terms of a simplistic and cynical binary. (It reminds me of those COVID "death count" tickers they were so fond of.)

https://www.cnn.com/markets/fear-and-greed

Anyway, I thought it might be good for a bemused eyeroll or two.

The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    ...it doesn't surprise me that they'd characterize the entirety of the market in terms of a simplistic and cynical binary.
    Nor that they'd deny any sort of motivation is possible but two of the most base emotions known to humanity.

And we already know which of these base emotions, fear or greed, is the great virtue in their universe.

central banks are driving gold up at same time of printing zero value fiat. Love to see an index on it
    Do something Danke