Thread: Man faces felony charge for signs he placed in his own yard

Man faces felony charge for signs he placed in his own yard

Here's an interesting case.

It touches upon some basic questions that are central to the application of libertarian theory, such as "what is a 'threat'?" and "when and under what circumstances do threats become actionable?" (i.e., it is related to the closely similar issue of "fighting words").

What say you? (I think it's a legitimate concern. Let a local jury decide on the basis of customary understandings of what is "intimidating" in this particular situation.)

Man Faces Felony Charge for Sign He Placed in His Own Yard
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIrpjX2bm80
    {Steve Lehto | 29 March 2024}

Turns out, his neighbor was also a witness in a legal action against him.

The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Did the neighbor testify against her neighbor? If she did not why not? If she did she obviously was not intimidated.

A reasonable person.... Hmm, these days what is a reasonable person?

The man did not display the signs on public property, or on her private property, or anywhere beyond his own private property. Nor was any action taken which involved physical harm to person or property. The same could be said if it was a watch-dog, gun, a roll of barbed wire, or anything else sitting in his yard. If she does not like it, she could build a fence so as not to see it, or move. If at that point he follows her, beyond his private property, it becomes harassment, which is an actionable offense.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    The man did not display the signs on public property, or on her private property, or anywhere beyond his own private property. Nor was any action taken which involved physical harm to person or property. The same could be said if it was a watch-dog, gun, a roll of barbed wire, or anything else sitting in his yard. If she does not like it, she could build a fence so as not to see it, or move. If at that point he follows her, beyond his private property, it becomes harassment, which is an actionable offense.
    Can you legally put a noose in your tree on your front lawn without getting arrested?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged View Post
    Can you legally put a noose in your tree on your front lawn without getting arrested?
    You mean that rope that I use to dangle the deer that I catch?

Yes a rope with a loop at the end dangling from a branch in your tree. Some have it dangling from the inside of their garage door. Is that legal or would you get arrested for a hate crime?

Yes a rope with a loop at the end dangling from a branch in your tree. Some have it dangling from the inside of their garage door. Is that legal or would you get arrested for a hate crime?
    I don't know, around here it’s never a problem. I think the opposite would happen, if folks complained about that they would be the ones who would be ridiculed.

I don't know, around here it’s never a problem. I think the opposite would happen, if folks complained about that they would be the ones who would be ridiculed.
    Noose Hate Crime Act of 2011 - Amends the federal criminal code to impose a fine and/or prison term of up to two years on anyone who, with intent to harass or intimidate any person because of that person's race, religion, or national origin, displays a noose in public.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Noose Hate Crime Act of 2011 - Amends the federal criminal code to impose a fine and/or prison term of up to two years on anyone who, with intent to harass or intimidate any person because of that person's race, religion, or national origin, displays a noose in public.

Died in a previous Congress

This bill was introduced on January 7, 2011, in a previous session of Congress, but it did not receive a vote.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr221

Died in a previous Congress

This bill was introduced on January 7, 2011, in a previous session of Congress, but it did not receive a vote.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr221
    Plus, that refers to “in public”, not private property.

Plus, that refers to “in public”, not private property.
    Well a homeowner would do nothing but spend a lot of money and create a lot of grief defending themself against neighbor Karen in court.
    Intimidation is pretty subjective also. What intimidates a person is not universal.

Well a homeowner would do nothing but spend a lot of money and create a lot of grief defending themself against neighbor Karen in court.
    Intimidation is pretty subjective also. What intimidates a person is not universal.
    We need more Judge Judy’s ;-)

We need more Judge Judy’s ;-)
    She was no nonsense and great when you agreed with her. Sometimes she was wrong. But that was just entertainment. Parties got paid to go on the show so losers had nothing to lose.

She was no nonsense and great when you agreed with her. Sometimes she was wrong. But that was just entertainment. Parties got paid to go on the show so losers had nothing to lose.
    I’d say she missed the mark maybe +/-5% of the time. But overall she was pretty darned solid. Yes I’m aware that the parties got paid, but the cases were still legitimate.

I’d say she missed the mark maybe +/-5% of the time. But overall she was pretty darned solid. Yes I’m aware that the parties got paid, but the cases were still legitimate.
    The problem is from her position she was God. It didn't matter is she was dead wrong, she was right. She thought she knew everything. If she thought you were wrong, you didn't stand a chance with her. Shut up, Sit down...What are you doing here....For TV entertainment she was good.

The problem is from her position she was God. It didn't matter is she was dead wrong, she was right. She thought she knew everything. If she thought you were wrong, you didn't stand a chance with her. Shut up, Sit down...What are you doing here....For TV entertainment she was good.
    Yep. But don’t all judges and politicians think they are God?

If you don’t have an attorney, be prepared, be well spoken, and you’ll have a much better chance of presenting your case.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The signs made no threat. Not intimidating
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Really? I would think that publicly intimidating a witness in your pending court case is stupid. I mean use some common sense.

I try to be as low key as possible. I try to follow ordinances regarding common decency, pollution and, safety. I know that nosy neighbors are what they are. So if I can keep a neighbor out of my business I will get a burn permit and stuff like that in order to not have to deal with them on a legal level. Some people feel they have power over others.

My land is kinda wild and secluded. I like to live in harmony with my surroundings. My community is big on personal freedom protecting personal, property and, privacy rights.