Thread: April 8th eclipse

April 8th eclipse

Even if you're not in the direct path (totality) you'll experience it in the US. I'm a couple of hundred miles away and will get about 90%. Remember not to look at it unless you have the special glasses and know they're the real deal (there are fake ones out there). A simple way to view it is by poking a pin hole in a piece of paper, holding the paper so the sky is above and when you look down at the ground you'll see the eclipse shine through the tiny hole.

Map of path and showing showing some percentages on how much you'll experience:

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/april-8-2024
    My two daughters and I were gang-raped by some of the Newcomers. It landed us in the hospital for 3 weeks as several bones were broken. I don't blame them, it was a sexual emergency and I wasn't about to go all white privilege and deny them the release they needed, especially after being stuck in a hotel for months. I see the Newcomers as family now. They are on our side and will help us stop Trump. It is a small price to pay. Anything but Trump.

-GLP poster

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by susano View Post
    Even if you're not in the direct path (totality) you'll experience it in the US. I'm a couple of hundred miles away and will get about 90%. Remember not to look at it unless you have the special glasses and know they're the real deal (there are fake ones out there). A simple way to view it is by poking a pin hole in a piece of paper, holding the paper so the sky is above and when you look down at the ground you'll see the eclipse shine through the tiny hole.

Map of path and showing showing some percentages on how much you'll experience:

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/april-8-2024
    A welding shield works great. I forgot which lens you need to have but you can web search it. If you're not in the path of totality, you won't be able to look directly at the eclipse without a welding lens or pinhole. If you're on the path of totality, you will be able to look directly at the corona while it is fully eclipsed. I know that for a fact because I was in the path of totality for the 2017 eclipse and watched it. What is crazy is how little of the solar disc needs to show in order for it to be too bright to look at... basically, one speck of solar disc is enough, which is the part of the eclipse that is sometimes called the "diamond ring".

This photo makes it seem like you could look at the solar disc because everything seems to be "black" but this is already 50+% daylight, and you can't look directly at that bright spot...

Last edited by ClaytonB; 03-31-2024 at 08:58 AM.
    Jer. 11:18-20. "The Kingdom of God has come upon you." -- Matthew 12:28

Eclipses and earthquakes, oh my!

(RELATED: Was just a 4.8 mag earthquake in NJ about 10:24am - 4/5/24)

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Might need to move this thread to "U.S. Political News" ...

[...]

https://twitter.com/cenkuygur/status...44864847781897
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Enter your zip code and see how the eclipse will look and how long it will last where you are:

https://www.univision.com/especiales...solar-2024-en/
    My two daughters and I were gang-raped by some of the Newcomers. It landed us in the hospital for 3 weeks as several bones were broken. I don't blame them, it was a sexual emergency and I wasn't about to go all white privilege and deny them the release they needed, especially after being stuck in a hotel for months. I see the Newcomers as family now. They are on our side and will help us stop Trump. It is a small price to pay. Anything but Trump.

-GLP poster

Eclipses and earthquakes, oh my!

(RELATED: Was just a 4.8 mag earthquake in NJ about 10:24am - 4/5/24)
    Cringe.

-GLP poster

The 1994 eclipse was a similar path to this one. I did the pin hole in the paper thing and it was pretty cool. Also, the shadows from the leaves on the trees made thousands of tiny crescents all over the ground. Anyone remember that one?

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/1994-may-10

-GLP poster

The 1994 eclipse was a similar path to this one. I did the pin hole in the paper thing and it was pretty cool. Also, the shadows from the leaves on the trees made thousands of tiny crescents all over the ground. Anyone remember that one?

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/1994-may-10
    I remember that....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I remember that....
    Awesome pics!

-GLP poster

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My first total eclipse: What I am looking forward to
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsdg2d6OTUk
    {Sabine Hossenfelder | 07 April 2024}

On April 8th, a total solar eclipse will cast its shadow across Mexico, the United States and Canada. This solar eclipse is quite special for a number of reasons. Let’s have a look at why this solar eclipse is so special and some things you should be on the lookout for.

Even though I was 94.6% in the eclipse, it was underwhelming. Each of those tenth of a percentage points makes a huge difference, I guess. Got a little darker, with that weird grayish light and that was about it.

-GLP poster

9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Even though I was 94.6% in the eclipse, it was underwhelming. Each of those tenth of a percentage points makes a huge difference, I guess. Got a little darker, with that weird grayish light and that was about it.
    I was close to the center of the path of totality (it reached magnitude 1.014 out of the 1.057 maximum). It got dark as evening after sunset, and the transition from "almost total" to totality was significant and abrupt (like someone twisting a dimmer switch). I was able to look directly at it for a brief while, when it was just a thin ring of light around a pitch-black circle. It was pretty impressive.

Yeah, partial eclipses are a nothing burger. You've probably experienced light dimming, temperature change and wind from a cloud suddenly blocking the sun. I've never seen a total eclipse, but I'll take everyone who has seen one at their word, and believe that is a totally different thing.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I was close to the center of the path of totality (it reached magnitude 1.014 out of the 1.057 maximum). It got dark as evening after sunset, and the transition from "almost total" to totality was significant and abrupt (like someone twisting a dimmer switch). I was able to look directly at it for a brief while, when it was just a thin ring of light around a pitch-black circle. It was pretty impressive.
    Oh, that's awesome! I thought being 94.6% in that we'd get more but it was about like 1994 which was a similar path.

-GLP poster

Yeah, partial eclipses are a nothing burger. You've probably experienced light dimming, temperature change and wind from a cloud suddenly blocking the sun. I've never seen a total eclipse, but I'll take everyone who has seen one at their word, and believe that is a totally different thing.
    Yes, me too, and I can see why those motivated to drive to see totality did it.

-GLP poster

Cool. Did you spontaneously start crying or speaking in tongues?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh, that's awesome! I thought being 94.6% in that we'd get more but it was about like 1994 which was a similar path.
    It''s surprising how much difference it makes.

Cool. Did you spontaneously start crying or speaking in tongues?
    Not quite.

But now I can understand how people way back in the day could be seriously freaked out by it.

But now I can understand how people way back in the day could be seriously freaked out by it.
    And this one was extra special, during an active solar cycle. Some of the video shows a lot of solar flares from the sun when it was fully eclipsed. Did you get to see any of that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xneQSt0Ccyk

Totally agree (partials are nothingburgers). I got a good look at the 2017 partial, and it was very ho-hum.

This one was totally amazing. Really a once in a lifetime. I'm in Dallas, 100% totality for 4 minutes.

A good reminder that we really are just a tiny spec of dust whipping around in the Universe with a bunch of atomic-sized beings killing each other all the damn time.

When totality began I wanted to do the "Close Encounters" 5-note sequence thingy and see if anyone would join in but I chickened out LOL

It was a neat communal experience. I was at a park with a couple hundred people. Everybody applauded during totality.

Yeah, this was the first one I saw in totality. Something magical happens when that last crescent disappears. I used binoculars without any special lens during the blackout and could see those solar flares. It was really other-wordly. And the temperature dropped significantly, too. The only unfortunate part was that instead of reverent silence, lots of people in the lakes are were setting off fireworks.

Still, something I'm glad I got to witness.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged View Post
    The best short video of the 2024 eclipse I have seen. https://twitter.com/i/status/1777444569447014647
    That's awesome LOL

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Yeah, this was the first one I saw in totality. Something magical happens when that last crescent disappears. I used binoculars without any special lens during the blackout and could see those solar flares. It was really other-wordly. And the temperature dropped significantly, too. The only unfortunate part was that instead of reverent silence, lots of people in the lakes are were setting off fireworks.

Yeah, they were showing scenes on Tv from some areas where there were stages, bands, light shows, fireworks, etc. during the eclipse.

If I ever go to a place for a total eclipse, I'm going out in nature away from people. I believe that it is the birds that are most noticeable as they go silent during a full eclipse.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

And this one was extra special, during an active solar cycle. Some of the video shows a lot of solar flares from the sun when it was fully eclipsed. Did you get to see any of that?
    Unfortunately not. Apart from my naked eye, all I had was a phone camera.

Speaking of which:

Yeah, this was the first one I saw in totality. Something magical happens when that last crescent disappears. I used binoculars without any special lens during the blackout and could see those solar flares. It was really other-wordly. And the temperature dropped significantly, too.
    I took a video with my phone, but it's not at all impressive. The image of the sun remained a blazing ball of light all the way through. During totality, the sky in the video darkened a little bit (but not nearly as much as it did to the naked eye), and the size of the blazing sun-ball reduced noticeably but didn't disappear (if you look closely, you can see the moon in the middle as a faint grey circle washed out by the blaze, but you wouldn't even notice that unless you were looking for it).

The only interesting things in the video are (1) Venus becomes visible as a bright dot below and to the right of the eclipse as totality is achieved, and (2) a few alarmed birds fly around chirping in a "what the hell?" kind of way as the eclipse proceeds.

The only unfortunate part was that instead of reverent silence, lots of people in the lakes are were setting off fireworks.
    No fireworks here, fortunately. (Fireworks? Really? The literally cosmic spectacle of it wasn't enough? SMH ...)

However, someone in the neighborhood did yell "Hey!", and someone (the same person ?) honked a car horn a few times for some damn reason. The former was distracting, but understandable. The latter was just annoying and uncalled-for.

Same here.

Unfortunately not. Apart from my naked eye, all I had was a phone camera.
    We weren't on the path of totality but here's what I captured in my local area as the eclipse was near maximum (using the old "pinhole projected on a paper plate" trick):

Jer. 11:18-20. "The Kingdom of God has come upon you." -- Matthew 12:28

Quote Originally Posted by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged View Post
    The best short video of the 2024 eclipse I have seen. https://twitter.com/i/status/1777444569447014647
    Oh, lol, I hadn't see that. That's some alpha level trolling of the libs right there. I know they had $#@!fits about it.

-GLP poster

@susano

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    My daughter took these.

The whole family headed over to VT to get a better view.

Note the sunspot.

Getting closer.

Almost there.

At the split second of totality, you can just see "Bailey's Beads".

Safety First!

“It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Fantastic pics! What did she do the photographing with and did it require a special lens?

-GLP poster