Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CO supreme court disqualifies Trump from ballot [SCOTUS overturns]

CO supreme court disqualifies Trump from ballot [SCOTUS overturns]

[RELATED: Adventures in "democracy": an index of threads]

It’s the first court to find that the disqualification clause of the 14th Amendment applies to Mr. Trump, in addition to affirming that he engaged in insurrection.

Former President Donald J. Trump is ineligible to hold office again, the Colorado Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday, accepting the argument that the 14th Amendment disqualifies him in an explosive decision that could upend the 2024 election.

In a lengthy ruling ordering the Colorado secretary of state to exclude Mr. Trump from the state’s Republican primary ballot, the justices reversed a Denver district judge’s finding last month that Section 3 of the 14th Amendment — which disqualifies people who have engaged in insurrection against the Constitution after having taken an oath to support it from holding office — did not apply to the presidency.

They affirmed the district judge’s other key conclusions: that Mr. Trump’s actions before and on Jan. 6, 2021, constituted engaging in insurrection, and that courts had the authority to enforce Section 3 against a person whom Congress had not specifically designated.

“A majority of the court holds that President Trump is disqualified from holding the office of president under Section Three of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution,” the court wrote in a 4-to-3 ruling. “Because he is disqualified, it would be a wrongful act under the Election Code for the Colorado Secretary of State to list him as a candidate on the presidential primary ballot.”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/19/u...amendment.html
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 12-30-2023 at 01:06 PM. Reason: added link to index of threads
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    so a state is making a federal ruling ?
    Do something Danke

that means my state can grant me machine guns.
    Do something Danke

Jer. 11:18-20. "The Kingdom of God has come upon you." -- Matthew 12:28

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Apparently Colorado has all the democracy it can handle. The people have spoken or some such $#@!.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Get used to it. The insanity we’re about to see has no bounds. You thought 2020 was out there?? You ain’t seen nothing yet.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's odd. I didn't think the people of Colorado (or any other state, for that matter) voted for a presidential candidate. I thought they voted for electors, who in turn may vote for the candidate they're pledged to.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

THREAD: Using the 14th Amendment to keep Trump off the ballot

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Group Files 14th Amendment Lawsuit to Keep Donald Trump off Colorado Ballot
    https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...lorado-ballot/
    JORDAN DIXON-HAMILTON 6 Sep 2023

[...]
    https://twitter.com/JenaGriswold/sta...52228533063787

Even the Colorado court doesn't expect SCOTUS to let their ruling stand.

I won't be surprised if SCOTUS overrules it 9-0.

Judgement (PDF file): https://www.courts.state.co.us/userf...23/23SA300.pdf

From which (h/t @thevivafrei):

Last edited by Occam's Banana; 12-19-2023 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    That's odd. I didn't think the people of Colorado (or any other state, for that matter) voted for a presidential candidate. I thought they voted for electors, who in turn may vote for the candidate they're pledged to.
    It only applies to the Primary ballot and election, which ironically, the DNC has already proven in court is not binding in any way on the Party.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

They are literally banned just because they believe Trump would be causing civil war.
    Clause of the 14th Amendment applies
    Clowns.

Joe Biden is losing his popularity.

I don't like Trump. But this really won't matter for three reasons. Trump was never going to win Colorado in the general election. He can win the primary without Colorado. Finally I expect scotus will overturn this ruling.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    I don't like Trump. But this really won't matter for three reasons. Trump was never going to win Colorado in the general election. He can win the primary without Colorado. Finally I expect scotus will overturn this ruling.
    What , are you telling me my state cant grant my machine guns ? I was going to make some calls Fri now that the fed govt has been decided null and void by new califonia.
    Last edited by oyarde; 12-19-2023 at 09:16 PM.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    What , are you telling me my state cant grant my macine guns ? I was going to make some calls Fri now that the fed govt has been decided null and void by new califonia.
    If states can give you weed, I see no reason they can't give you full auto. This is the country we live in now.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    You miss the point as to why these leftist states want to ban him. If Colorado and a couple of other leftist states remove Trump from the ballot, they'll be able to get their useful idiot army to riot. They're going to be talking about how the Dem candidate had 20 million or whatever more votes and lost the electoral college.

'murika
    Last edited by sparebulb; 12-19-2023 at 11:10 PM.

“It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

I bet money SCOTUS will over rule that but even if they don't CO is a blue state so it won't matter in the next election unless swing states start doing it. In which case there might be another civil war.

And if SCOTUS allows this to stand it will have far reaching implications even if it doesn't directly impact this election.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Last edited by ClaytonB; 12-20-2023 at 01:34 AM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Too much power in the hands of courts.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    I bet money SCOTUS will over rule that but even if they don't CO is a blue state so it won't matter in the next election unless swing states start doing it.
    Um, you read the source material and the thread, right? You do know this only applies to the primary, right? You have heard of the electoral college, right?

https://twitter.com/cologop/status/1737292783835103476

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 12-20-2023 at 09:03 AM.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Oh-ho-ho! Holy Backfire! Monkey wrench in the psyop! I love it!

Go! Don't wait to see if it's allowed to stand! Caucuses are good!!
    Last edited by acptulsa; 12-20-2023 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Um, you read the source material and the thread, right? You do know this only applies to the primary, right? You have heard of the electoral college, right?
    Oh, no I didn't. Interesting... primary ballot..... well in that case it won't matter because the RNC can just adjust their rules to circumvent that at the Convention (which could also be a problem in and of itself).
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Oh, no I didn't. Interesting... primary ballot..... well in that case it won't matter because the RNC can just adjust their rules to circumvent that at the Convention (which could also be a problem in and of itself).
    Somebody's smart enough not to wait for the convention. Read the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    https://twitter.com/cologop/status/1737292783835103476

I don't know who's running the COGOP, but whoever you are, I love you man! Caucuses FTW!
    Last edited by acptulsa; 12-20-2023 at 10:08 AM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast