Thread: Elon Musk's Neuralink Is Now FDA Approved For Human Trials. Here's Why It Took So Long.

Elon Musk's Neuralink Is Now FDA Approved For Human Trials. Here's Why It Took So Long.

May 31, 2023
    By David Tuffley

Since its founding in 2016, Elon Musk's neurotechnology company Neuralink has had the ambitious mission to build a next-generation brain implant with at least 100 times more brain connections than devices currently approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

The company has now reached a significant milestone, having received FDA approval to begin human trials. So what were the issues keeping the technology in the pre- clinical trial phase for as long as it was? And have these concerns been addressed?

Continues:

https://www.sciencealert.com/musks-n...t-took-so-long

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Does PREP Act apply?

Neuralink is funded by 15 investors. Raison and Valor Equity Partners are the most recent investors. Neuralink has a post-money valuation in the range of $500M to $1B as of Jun 30, 2021, according to PrivCo.

In April 2017, Neuralink announced that it was aiming to make devices to treat serious brain diseases in the short-term, with the eventual goal of human enhancement, sometimes called transhumanism.

Neuralink tests their devices by surgically implanting them in the brains of live monkeys, pigs and other animals. Neuralink's methods have been criticized by groups such as PETA. From 2017 to 2020, Neuralink's experiments on monkeys were conducted in partnership with UC Davis. At the end of their partnership, UC Davis transferred seven monkeys to Neuralink. In 2022, the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) alleged that Neuralink and UC Davis had mistreated several monkeys, subjecting them to psychological distress, extreme suffering, and chronic infections due to surgeries.[43] Experiments conducted by Neuralink and UC Davis have involved at least 23 monkeys, and the PCRM believes that 15 of those monkeys died or were euthanized as a result of the experiments. Furthermore, the PCRM alleged that UC Davis withheld photographic and video evidence of the mistreatment.

In February 2022, Neuralink said that macaque monkeys died and were euthanized after experimentation, denying that any animal abuse had occurred. Musk previously stated that Neuralink implants might be introduced by injecting them through the jugular vein, and not by opening the cranium (which Neuralink currently requires). In December 2022, it was reported that Neuralink was under federal investigation by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) regarding animal welfare violations. Additionally, a report by Reuters cited claims from several Neuralink employees that testing was being rushed due to Musk's demands for fast results, which was leading to needless suffering and deaths among the animals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuralink

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    May 31, 2023
    By David Tuffley

Since its founding in 2016, Elon Musk's neurotechnology company Neuralink has had the ambitious mission to build a next-generation brain implant with at least 100 times more brain connections than devices currently approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

The company has now reached a significant milestone, having received FDA approval to begin human trials. So what were the issues keeping the technology in the pre- clinical trial phase for as long as it was? And have these concerns been addressed?

Continues:

https://www.sciencealert.com/musks-n...t-took-so-long
    I saw this on PBS back in 2007. I can't find the video but I found a synopsis stored as a word document:

https://pressroom.pbs.org/-/media/Fi...d-century.ashx
    22nd CENTURY
    “World Wide Mind”

Wednesday, January 17, 2007
    8:00-9:00 p.m. ET

Ever wonder what the world is going to be like in the future? Will human life spans increase to 250 years or more? Will your personal computer become smarter than you? Will machines shrink so small they can make repairs inside a human cell?*

22nd CENTURY is an innovative PBS series about technological advances taking place today that, within our lifetimes, will significantly change the way humans live and interact. Many scientists and futurists believe we are on the verge of a technological explosion so profound that life will become unrecognizable. In the next 100 years, we may experience as much technological change as has occurred over the course of human history. After all, during the past century we went from horse-drawn buggies to supersonic aircraft; by most estimates the pace of change is accelerating.

The premiere episode of 22nd CENTURY, “World Wide Mind,” airing Wednesday, January 17, 2007, 8:00-9:00 p.m. ET on PBS, explores an intriguing theory that posits that in the future, miniature computer brain implants will allow our brains to be connected to other brains much the same way today’s computers are linked together via the World Wide Web. Science fantasy or futuristic nightmare? This show lets viewers decide for themselves.

The series consists of first-person stories about people who are on the cusp of this technological revolution. In this first episode, viewers meet a young man whose injuries in a devastating automobile accident left him unable to communicate with the outside world. Surgeons implanted an electrode in his brain and he has learned to communicate just by thinking about what he wants to say.

In another segment, a leading neurophysiologist explains how he has developed bundles of wires thinner than spider webs that can be inserted into the blood vessels of human brains. While these wires have so far been tested only in animals, they prove that the worldwide mind may not be so far off. U.S. agents from the National Security Agency quickly showed up at the MIT laboratory where the wires are being developed.

The series is hosted by Robin Robinson, a Chicago television personality, who is joined by two virtual co-hosts, each with insightful and often conflicting viewpoints about the merits of this new technology.

One is an actor playing Aldous Huxley, the late author of Brave New World, who worried about the dehumanizing consequences of scientific discoveries. The other is Orlanda Bell, a time-traveling visitor from the future, who represents the best-case scenario of these technological advancements.

Is this a future that will benefit the human race? Or will we loose all sense of individuality? Find out on the premiere episode of the 22nd CENTURY.

Underwriters: Public Television Viewers and PBS. Co-producers: Towers Productions and Boston Science Communications, Inc. in collaboration with Twin Cities Public Television. Executive producer/director: Gino Del Guercio. Production executive: John Lindsay. Producers: Tresha Mabile and Scott Alexander. Composer: Charles Denler. Animation: Xvivo. Format: CC Stereo Letterbox/HD where available

– PBS –

CONTACT: Carrie Johnson, PBS, Tel.: 703/739-5129; cjohnson@pbs.org

It was CREEPY AS HELL! It was set in the future as a documentary. There was this snarky woman that treated people who didn't want to be part of the "WWM" the same way antivaxxers were treated in 2021. "What? You don't want me reading your thoughts? What are you afraid of?" Note that 2007 was still VERY early in the whole "People dump their entire lives onto social media" experiment. I didn't get vaxxed and I won't get chip. No way in hell.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

@jmdrake thanks for that, I do want to check that out.

Hard pass on getting a microchip in my brain.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Hard pass on getting a microchip in my brain.
    Are you sure? I was going to buy some stocks in that.