Thread: DeSantis’ ‘Big Government’ Extends to Record State Budget

DeSantis’ ‘Big Government’ Extends to Record State Budget

[SNIP]

By
    Lawrence Mower | Times staff

The traditional hanky drop that signifies the end of the legislative session took place in a packed rotunda on Friday. [ ALICIA DEVINE | AP ]

TALLAHASSEE — Gov. Ron DeSantis has presidential-size ambitions this year, and state lawmakers gave him a budget to match.

With the governor potentially days away from announcing an expected run for president in 2024, legislators on Friday approved a record $117 billion spending plan that gives DeSantis another political springboard into the race.

Friday was the final day of the legislative session, and lawmakers assigned tens of millions of dollars to pursue DeSantis’ political goals — from reshaping New College of Florida to flying migrants around the country. They’re assigning millions more to fend off the inevitable lawsuits that will follow.

Lawmakers also continued to expand the executive branch, which has seen its budget grow nearly 600% since DeSantis took office.

DeSantis’ “big-government” conservatism has prompted Republican lawmakers to open up the checkbook, spending billions to expand social programs, preserve the environment and give state workers pay raises.

The spending even has the approval of Democrats, who voted unanimously for the budget on Friday.

Republican leaders have justified the spending by pointing to the state’s booming sales tax revenues. They are required to pass a balanced budget, so if the revenue is there, they can spend it. The state has also been helped by billions of federal dollars from the Biden administration.

“People say we’re spending money left and right,” said Sen. Debbie Mayfield, R-Melbourne. “But our economy is growing and we have the money to spend, and we’re spending it all in the right places.”

DeSantis’ agenda

Lawmakers funded nearly every DeSantis agenda item this year.

They approved another $12 million to continue DeSantis’ migrant flights, even though the program has only financed one trip that flew 49 migrants to Martha’s Vineyard last year. They’re assigning $109 million to expand DeSantis’ Florida State Guard, although Republican senators were doubting a few weeks ago that the fledgling agency could spend that much.

Lawmakers are also supporting DeSantis’ wish to impose conservative ideology on the state’s education system.

A plan to offer every K-12 school-age child in Florida a voucher or education saving account, regardless of family income, comes with a projected total cost of $2.2 billion.

New College of Florida is receiving $25 million to recruit faculty and students and offer salary increases to its top deputies. The influx comes months after DeSantis picked a group of hard-line conservative loyalists to shake up the liberal arts college.

“We are investing in New College,” House Higher Education Appropriations Subcommittee chairperson Jason Shoaf, R-Port St. Joe, said Thursday. “The governor has put a lot of emphasis on making sure that all of our institutions are at peak performance.”

Limited government?

In his latest book, DeSantis makes no mention of the need to reduce the size of government but instead elaborates on his strategy of using expansive government power to protect individual freedoms against what he called the “woke mind virus.”

DeSantis’ philosophy is a shift from two decades ago, when Jeb Bush was governor and the Republican-led Legislature proudly cut over $1 billion on a $50 billion budget.

Continues:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florid...cord-spending/

https://www.lewrockwell.com/political-theatre/desantis/

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In his latest book, DeSantis makes no mention of the need to reduce the size of government but instead elaborates on his strategy of using expansive government power to protect individual freedoms against what he called the “woke mind virus.”

[scratches head]

ron paul
    may 29, 2023

Fight back... Homeschooling is Key to Preserving Liberty

http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives...rving-liberty/

Yes and DeSantis also signed the largest tax hike in Florida's history in to law.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Maybe so, but he did that with no income tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Yes and DeSantis also signed the largest tax hike in Florida's history in to law.
    No he didn't. He just started collecting the sales tax on online purchases that nobody was paying.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    No he didn't. He just started collecting the sales tax on online purchases that nobody was paying.
    Gov. Ron DeSantis Signs $1 Billion Sales Tax Hike on Consumers to Save Businesses' Pocketbooks

[snip]

Gov. Ron DeSantis late Monday signed into law a plan to require out-of-state online retailers to collect sales taxes on purchases made by Floridians, with the estimated $1 billion a year in revenue going to curb a pair of taxes on Florida businesses.

Florida business groups have lobbied for years to require out-of-state retailers to collect and remit sales taxes, saying it is a matter of fairness. But past proposals failed because of concerns by Republicans that they could be viewed as increasing taxes on consumers.

Retailers that have a “physical presence” in Florida are already required to collect and remit sales taxes, But retailers without such a presence haven’t faced the requirement when they make sales to Floridians, who have been technically supposed to send in sales taxes on their purchases —- though few do.

Tax and spend.

They'll never allow a Rand/Massie ticket.

We're $#@!ed.
    "An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government" - Ron Paul.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you arent allowed to criticize."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    [scratches head]
    Didn't you know, the more regulated you are the more freedoms you actually have.

That's how you preserve liberty through authoritarianism.

If he is forcing me to pay taxes I wasn't previously paying, that's the very definition of a tax hike. And it was the largest single tax hike in the state history.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

If he is forcing me to pay taxes I wasn't previously paying, that's the very definition of a tax hike. And it was the largest single tax hike in the state history.
    You were legally obligated to pay them before. The state chose not to prosecute you for not paying. What DeSantis signed just had businesses collect them rather than you pay the state directly.

It actually benefits the residents of Florida as a whole because this was enacted as an alternative to new taxes on Florida businesses. It raised revenue from out of state sources with laws that were already on the books but not enforced. If it had gone the other way and Florida business lost revenue to new taxes, a lot of people here would have been out of work. It was a fair compromise.

You were legally obligated to pay them before. The state chose not to prosecute you for not paying. What DeSantis signed just had businesses collect them rather than you pay the state directly.

It actually benefits the residents of Florida as a whole because this was enacted as an alternative to new taxes on Florida businesses. It raised revenue from out of state sources with laws that were already on the books but not enforced. If it had gone the other way and Florida business lost revenue to new taxes, a lot of people here would have been out of work. It was a fair compromise.
    I was confused at first. What you are trying to explain defend is:

I don’t mind paying taxes being bribed of my money.

I was confused at first.
    It's an old game by now.

Pass an unpopular law and tell anyone who complains, no need to waste your effort. It has no teeth. Later, pass the teeth, and say, if you were opposed to the principle of this law, why did you wait until now to object? It has been around all this time without killing anyone, surely a few teeth won't make it harmful...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I was confused at first. What you are trying to explain defend is:

I don’t mind paying taxes being bribed of my money.
    It's only on online purchases. I actually don't mind. I can avoid driving to the store which is a pain in Florida traffic especially in the winter high season. I can buy things from amazon etc at a lower total cost than at a local store with free shipping even now paying the sales tax. It's not a big deal.

It's only on online purchases. I actually don't mind. I can avoid driving to the store which is a pain in Florida traffic especially in the winter high season. I can buy things from amazon etc at a lower total cost than at a local store with free shipping even now paying the sales tax. It's not a big deal.
    Thanks for not minding for everybody else

Thumbs down

Wrong answer. If money wasn't coming out of my pocket before, and it is now, then it's a tax hike. There is no other description that fits. Try all of the mental gymnastics you want, but DeSantis raised taxes on millions of Floridians because they weren't paying taxes previously and now they are due to his signature.

Nice try.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wrong answer. If money wasn't coming out of my pocket before, and it is now, then it's a tax hike. There is no other description that fits. Try all of the mental gymnastics you want, but DeSantis raised taxes on millions of Floridians because they weren't paying taxes previously and now they are due to his signature.

Nice try.
    It's not wrong. You were technically breaking the existing law by not paying taxes on online purchases. That tax was imposed long ago.

Nice try.
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Matt Collins again."

It's not wrong. You were technically breaking the existing law by not paying taxes on online purchases. That tax was imposed long ago.
    Not enforcing / breaking unjust laws. How horrific.

Whoever happens to own you, you are a very good citizen

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Matt Collins again."

Not enforcing / breaking unjust laws. How horrific.

Whoever happens to own you, you are a very good citizen
    I already explained the reason behind this. It was a compromise that DeSantis signed. The alternative was worse for both Florida residents and businesses.

I already explained the reason behind this. It was a compromise that DeSantis signed. The alternative was worse for both Florida residents and businesses.
    The alternative was to significantly reduce - or better yet, just eliminate - the taxes in-state businesses were made to collect.

(Strange how these supposedly needed "compromises" only ever seem to go in one direction ...)
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 05-30-2023 at 08:14 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

The alternative is supposed to be less government in our lives, not more.

from reshaping New College of Florida to flying migrants around the country.

Republican leaders have justified the spending by pointing to the state’s booming sales tax revenues. They are required to pass a balanced budget, so if the revenue is there, they can spend it. The state has also been helped by billions of federal dollars from the Biden administration.

“People say we’re spending money left and right,” said Sen. Debbie Mayfield, R-Melbourne. “But our economy is growing and we have the money to spend, and we’re spending it all in the right places.”

A plan to offer every K-12 school-age child in Florida a voucher or education saving account, regardless of family income, comes with a projected total cost of $2.2 billion.

using expansive government power to protect individual freedoms

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    It's an old game by now.

Pass an unpopular law and tell anyone who complains, no need to waste your effort. It has no teeth. Later, pass the teeth, and say, if you were opposed to the principle of this law, why did you wait until now to object? It has been around all this time without killing anyone, surely a few teeth won't make it harmful...
    Ipso fuggit.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

The alternative is supposed to be less government in our lives, not more.
    Liberterian utopia unfortunately doesn't exist. Florida is doing pretty well under DeSantis. better than any other state in the country. Sorry but this is about as good as it gets anymore.

I noticed last weekend that I wasn't paying sales taxes at the convenience stores on a trip to Florida. Apparently it's some disaster preparedness tax break? I think I bought a bottle of water for less than $1.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    I noticed last weekend that I wasn't paying sales taxes at the convenience stores on a trip to Florida. Apparently it's some disaster preparedness tax break? I think I bought a bottle of water for less than $1.
    Yeah, tax holiday. It is every year before hurricane season on supplies. There are other tax holidays for school supplies and some other ones I can't recall right now.

Thumbs down

You seriously lack critical thinking skills if this is what you believe.
    Liberterian utopia unfortunately doesn't exist. Florida is doing pretty well under DeSantis. better than any other state in the country. Sorry but this is about as good as it gets anymore.
    And you're not pro-freedom. You must like big government and want more. What are you even doing here?