Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Republicans Caved In For a Deal

Republicans Caved In For a Deal

The Republicans led by McCarthy caved in for a deal in which the BBC reported it as "Negotiators agree a deal in principle"

Democrats wanted to raise certain taxes.

US debt ceiling: Negotiators agree a deal in principle, McCarthy says
    Republicans have said they will not raise the debt ceiling unless the government reduces its spending in the years ahead.

Democrats have countered with proposals to raise certain taxes.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Who cares? The debt limit is an arbitrary meaningless number.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    Who cares? The debt limit is an arbitrary meaningless number.
    Depends. Who pays the new higher taxes?

"Conservatives" are tasked with conserving the Fed. It's a fool's errand at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

There should be no deal.
    Do something Danke

The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    The Republicans led by McCarthy caved in for a deal in which the BBC reported it as "Negotiators agree a deal in principle"

Democrats wanted to raise certain taxes.

US debt ceiling: Negotiators agree a deal in principle, McCarthy says

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/27/polit...eal/index.html
    Caps non-defense spending: Under the deal, non-defense spending would remain relatively flat in fiscal 2024 and increase by 1% in fiscal 2025, after certain unspecified adjustments to appropriations were made, according to the source.

After fiscal 2025, there would be appropriations targets, but they would not be enforceable, according to the source.

The House GOP fact sheet says that non-defense discretionary spending would be rolled back to fiscal 2022 levels and topline federal spending would be limited to 1% annual growth for the next six years.

The debt ceiling bill that House Republicans passed last month would return discretionary spending to fiscal 2022 levels and then limit the growth in spending to 1% for a decade. Defense spending would be protected.

Protects veterans’ medical care: The deal would maintain full funding for veterans’ health care and would increase support for the PACT Act’s toxic exposure fund by nearly $15 billion for fiscal year 2024, according to the source.

So funding for national parks is frozen for 2 years but no cap on entitlement spending increases or defense spending. Got it.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Depends. Who pays the new higher taxes?

"Conservatives" are tasked with conserving the Fed. It's a fool's errand at this point.
    Higher taxes are meaningless when the dollar has endless supply.

Higher taxes are meaningless when the dollar has endless supply.
    It taps the wallets of millions of people who are already feeling the bite. I'm glad you've insulated yourself financially so well that you can afford not to give a $#@!. But this is another cold nor'wester feeding the winter of your neighbors' discontent.

That could affect even you.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It taps the wallets of millions of people who are already feeling the bite. I'm glad you've insulated yourself financially so well that you can afford not to give a $#@!. But this is another cold nor'wester feeding the winter of your neighbors' discontent.

Nice turn of phrase, that.

I owe you a rep.

Folks like 69360 will be stunned and shocked when the Bolshevik mobs come to tear his home down.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

It's a made up crisis about made up numbers. Don't fall for it. If the government has the ability to create endless new currency, a borrowing limit is meaningless. Taxes are just arbitrary numbers that increase with currency supply. Once you wrap your head around that it all makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Nice turn of phrase, that.

I owe you a rep.

Folks like 69360 will be stunned and shocked when the Bolshevik mobs come to tear his home down.
    I will kill them. Any other questions?

I will kill them. Any other questions?
    What have you got?

Laser guided Mini-guns on each corner of your home?
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    What have you got?

Laser guided Mini-guns on each corner of your home?
    Florida is a stand your ground state and I have zero qualms about using deadly force to defend my property. I think we all know saying more than that on a public forum is not smart in today's world.

If this gets past the house it will be the worst deal ever for a gop house.
    Do something Danke

Ron Paul talked about this, baseline budgets?
    "An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government" - Ron Paul.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you arent allowed to criticize."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    everything was under control until not that long ago.

https://twitter.com/Detaramebusters/...32399364411392

People are now saying we need to replace McCarthy as Speaker after this. Little do those people know that McCarthy isn't going anywhere.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Change his name to Charlie McCarthy.

Last edited by acptulsa; 05-28-2023 at 09:14 PM.

This deal wont help the inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    There should be no deal.
    The problem is the republicans raised the debt ceiling every time under Trump and spent like drunken sailors.

The whole idea that they are now getting tough on spending is a joke.

I'd like to see a list of the ones who are voting against raising the debt ceiling now and voted for it during Trump.

Worst negotiation ever after a 450 percent increase in debt since 2000. Game over for the frn and inflation lower than gdp increase. The decline is permanent.One or two decades is all thats left before wheel barrows of frns are regular transactions if anyone will take them.
    Do something Danke

Inflation is a consequence of unlimited dollar supply. No way around it.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    correct
    Do something Danke

If the current situation on the Rules committee stands, there's a very very good chance the bill doesn't even make it out of committee for a floor vote.

The Rules committee is 9-4 Republican and requires 7 votes, if my understanding of the committee setup is correct. Two Republicans already are voicing strong opposition (Roy, Norman), so that's 7 left. Guess who is also on the Rules committee? Thomas Massie, who I would be VERY surprised to see vote to send it to the floor considering the IRS agent funding and other sticking points. The committee meets at 3pm today. Where Dems stand is unknown to me.

People are acting like this deal is a "done deal" when it's far from done. Yes, normalcy bias says the kabuki theater of the past would mean a last miinute passage (oh the drama!) but don't count chickens before they hatch.
    Last edited by devil21; 05-30-2023 at 11:27 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

https://twitter.com/NancyMace/status...12940371230721
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

https://twitter.com/NancyMace/status...12940371230721
    (she was removed from Rules for current session)

Here's the list:
    Chairman Tom Cole (R-OK) Ranking Member Jim McGovern (D-MA)
    Rep. Michael Burgess (R-TX), Vice Chair Rep. Mary Gay Scanlon (D-PA)
    Rep. Guy Reschenthaler (R-PA) Rep. Joe Neguse (D-CO)
    Rep. Michelle Fischbach (R-MN) Rep. Teresa Leger Fernández(D-NM)
    Rep. Thomas Massie (R-KY)
    Rep. Ralph Norman (R-SC)
    Rep. Chip Roy (R-TX)
    Rep. Erin Houchin (R-IN)
    Rep. Nicholas A. Langworthy (R-NY)
    Last edited by devil21; 05-30-2023 at 11:21 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

just need a no vote from houchin
    Do something Danke

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast