Thread: DeSantis says he would push to repeal Trump criminal justice reform if elected

DeSantis says he would push to repeal Trump criminal justice reform if elected

DeSantis says he would push to repeal Trump criminal justice reform if elected

BY BRETT SAMUELS
    05/26/23

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) said Friday that if elected president, he would call on Congress to repeal the criminal justice reform bill signed into law by then-President Trump, his latest attack on Trump from the right.

DeSantis, appearing on “The Ben Shapiro Show,” criticized the First Step Act, a bipartisan bill passed in 2018 that reduced mandatory minimum sentences, expanded credits for well-behaved prisoners looking for shorter sentences and aimed to reduce recidivism.

The Florida governor, who officially entered the 2024 White House race on Wednesday, called the legislation “basically a jailbreak bill.”

“So one of the things I would want to do as president is go to Congress and seek the repeal of the First Step Act,” he said. “If you are in jail, you should serve your time. And the idea that they’re releasing people who have not been rehabilitated early, so that they can prey on people in our society is a huge, huge mistake.”

DeSantis voted for the initial House version of the bill while serving as a congressman in 2018, something Trump’s team has highlighted. He had resigned his seat before the final version, which critics argued contained significant changes from the House version to make it more moderate, came up for a vote later in 2018.

read more:
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...rm-if-elected/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    Ooooookkkkaaayyy. Scratch Desantis.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

I have no real opinion on this bill. There are always pros and cons . No idea though why desantis thinks he gains some advantage there. Makes no sense to me . The winning strategy here is not nit picking dog$#@! . So far he hasnt demonstrated to anyone outside of florida how he is better on anything and he isnt doing it now .
    Last edited by oyarde; 05-26-2023 at 05:39 PM.
    Do something Danke

DeSwamptis.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I have no real opinion on this bill. There are always pros and cons . No idea though why desantis thinks he gains some advantage there. Makes no sense to me . The winning strategy here is not nit picking dog$#@! . So far he hasnt demonstrated to anyone outside of florida how he is better on anything and he isnt doing it now .
    If you like the idea of spending millions to keep non violent drug offenders locked up for decades then you'd like the old racist Biden/Clinton crime Bill that Obama halfway repealed and Trump finished off.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    DeSwamptis.
    100% agreement this time.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    If you like the idea of spending millions to keep non violent drug offenders locked up for decades then you'd like the old racist Biden/Clinton crime Bill that Obama halfway repealed and Trump finished off.

100% agreement this time.
    Thats why I dont have a real opinion . First off the govt cant be trusted on who to incarcerate and have demostrated proof of this beyond question , all the drug and alc people need to be at work not in prison. It shouldnt be an industry .This country has an unacceptable work force participation rate for such an addiction to deficit spending. At the same time I dont really get excited about a bunch of retard meth heads who wont work cruising around looking for things to steal in my neck of the woods.
    Do something Danke

DeSantos is gifted to be able to make Trump look good in comparison.

The Florida governor, who officially entered the 2024 White House race on Wednesday, called the legislation “basically a jailbreak bill.”

[... DeSantis] said. “If you are in jail, you should serve your time. [...]"
    https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/s...71653821792259
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Ooooookkkkaaayyy. Scratch Desantis.
    I hate to say it, but same here. Guess it comes down to Vivek and RFK?

DeSantis, appearing on “The Ben Shapiro Show,” criticized the First Step Act, a bipartisan bill passed in 2018 that reduced mandatory minimum sentences, expanded credits for well-behaved prisoners looking for shorter sentences and aimed to reduce recidivism.
    (Jacob Chansley is the so-called "QAnon Shaman".)

https://twitter.com/3sidedstory/stat...61981636870145

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 05-26-2023 at 11:07 PM.

The real reform needs to happen with the Justice system by stopping the way the system railroads any person trying to defend themselves. A person get pulled over for a faulty blinker, ends up getting tased, and arrested on 20 charges and ends up accepting a plea deal under duress of spending 20 years in maximum security prison.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    It's simple. DeSantis will never win the nomination nor the general election without winning the Obama-Trump rust belt voters. Being tough on crime is a play for them.

Just play the based Biden speech in support of the 1994 crime bill for them and you will see their excitement.

While it won't end up working because these voters can smell the neocon stink from him a mile away, it's smart politically.

Something like, "if you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed to you...."

Who can afford an attorney in 2023 capable of defending any person of anything? Only the richest of rich can afford legal representation in these days and then they go up against a jury of lunatics that think they were born in the wrong body.... Any person caught in the crosshairs of any legal dispute is fuched!

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Havnes View Post
    I hate to say it, but same here. Guess it comes down to Vivek and RFK?
    Yeah...pretty much. I like Tim Scott. But I have a problem with him going all neocon on the Ukraine war.