Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NYC - The chokehold death of Jordan Neely

NYC - The chokehold death of Jordan Neely

Oh boy...

Jordan Neely was a homeless man and "street performer".

Cops say he 44 prior arrests for assault, disorderly conduct, and fare evasion.

Witnesses say he was making threats and harassing passengers.

A 24 year old former marine subdued him with a full body chokehold, which ultimately killed him.

This man has not been named because he has not yet been charged.

Neely is black, the former marine is white.

Man harassing NoHo subway riders dies after fellow passenger tries to subdue him: Police

https://abc7ny.com/subway-crime-noho...dies/13203777/

Wednesday, May 3, 2023 5:54AM

NOHO (WABC) -- Police are investigating the death of a man who was allegedly harassing subway riders in NoHo before one passenger took matters into his own hands.

There are a lot of legal questions surrounding what happened on the F train on Monday afternoon because the man who may have been acting as a good Samaritan has not been charged.

Officials say the altercation happened around 2:30 p.m. on the train at the Broadway-Lafayette Street station.

A 24-year-old passenger stepped in to subdue a 30-year-old man who was acting erratically toward fellow riders.

It's not clear exactly how the confrontation unfolded, but it does not appear that any weapons were used.

Police say the 24-year-old man somehow knocked the 30-year-old man out. In the struggle, the 30-year-old lost consciousness and never regained it.

Authorities say he was taken to Lenox Hill Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

So far, the NYPD has not released the names of either man in this case. The investigation seeks to answer all of the questions about what physically happened to the man who died and just how much of a threat he was.

According to police, the 24-year-old man's narrative is being corroborated by the other passengers on the train, who say that as he restrained the 30-year-old, he asked fellow passengers to call 911. The 24-year-old is a formerly enlisted Marine.

Police are awaiting the autopsy results on the 30-year-old.

Police say the man who died was a subway recidivist with 44 prior arrests for assault, disorderly conduct, and fare evasion.

Former NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce says the 24-year-old man may have indeed been defending himself and others from imminent harm, which sources say he claims, but there are other factors.

"How long was the actual hold... was he screaming let me go, let me go? All these things will go into the determination," Boyce said.

A determination of whether or not he made the right call, which ended up costing someone his life.

"The safest thing to do is to call 911 if you can down there, or find an officer nearby," Boyce said. "However, save those two instances, if there's an immediate need to help someone, you do it. Simple as that. So, he will have to articulate immediate need."

The man who attempted to subdue the alleged harasser was questioned by detectives and released. So far no charges have been filed.

Subway crime is down so far this year over last by about 6%, but Boyce noted that it's been impossible for the MTA and the city to ban recidivists and enforce a ban in the subway.

In the last year there has been an increased police presence on the subway, but it's not clear if there was an officer nearby when the 24-year-old stepped in and subdued the man.

Man involved in subway encounter killed by chokehold; death ruled homicide: medical examiner

https://abc7ny.com/subway-chokehold-...tion/13208269/

Wednesday, May 3, 2023 6:08PM

NOHO, Manhattan (WABC) -- The cause of death has been revealed for a subway rider who died after he was put into a chokehold by a former Marine on the train.

Jordan Neely, 30, was on a northbound F train at the Broadway-Lafayette station when he began acting erratically at around 2:30 p.m. Monday, police said.

Authorities say he was harassing passengers and making threats when a 24-year-old stepped in and attempted to subdue him.

A physical struggle ensued, leading to Neely losing consciousness. He was rushed to Lenox Hill Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

On Wednesday, a medical examiner determined Neely was killed by a chokehold (compression of the neck) and his death was ruled a homicide. However, that does not mean his case will be prosecuted as a homicide, that is up to the Manhattan DA's office, which is investigating.

Neely has a history of prior arrests and was known by the MTA and police, but many believe Neely did not need to die and there is growing backlash over the case.

The man who tackled Neely claimed he was stepping in to help fellow passengers who felt scared and threatened. But at a vigil for Neely on Wednesday afternoon, advocates said it was Neely who needed help most, and society failed him.

Tensions were high as a small crowd gathered on the platform to denounce what they saw as an injustice in the Broadway-Lafayette station.

"And because what people are constantly given is this narrative that homeless people are dangerous, people think they can take matters into their own hands and view a Black man being upset that he's hungry as a threat," said Krys Cerisier with Vocal NY.

The 24-year-old subway rider was questioned by detectives and released. His story is being corroborated by the other passengers on the train, police said, who told investigators that as he restrained Neely, he asked fellow passengers to call 911.

Witnesses told detectives Neely came onto the subway, threw his jacket on the floor and began screaming and yelling, pacing up and down the train car. Many of the riders said he was acting in a hostile and erratic manner. But one of the riders was less concerned, later telling detectives it was just another day on the subway.

Police say the 24-year-old Marine was not specifically being threatened by Neely when he intervened. He gave a full statement to detectives, and was then released pending further investigation.

Years ago, Neely could be seen in the subways dancing like Michael Jackson. The Manhattan borough president tweeted Wednesday that he saw him performing many times on the A-train, and that he made people smile.

But in recent years, he'd been arrested more than 40 times on the subway for crimes like public lewdness and assaulting a senior citizen.

According to sources, witnesses to his final moments told police Neely was erratic and hostile -- but it's not clear if he was threatening violence.

"He should not have been on that train in the first place, he should have been housed," Cerisier said.

Along with his criminal background of 44 prior arrests, he also had a documented mental history, police sources said.

"Our government, our society, should actually provide those wraparound services instead of leaving someone languishing out there and that's a failure on all of us, and our elected leaders," said Adolfo Abreu with Vocal NY.

Gov. Kathy Hochul called it "deeply disturbing" and noted the state made a billion-dollar investment in mental health services.

New York City Comptroller Brad Lander expressed outrage on Twitter, saying there must be consequences for the man who put Neely in the chokehold and he should not be "justified & cheered."

The Coalition for the Homeless blamed the "complete failure to provide the critical mental health services desperately needed by so many people in our city," calling it an "absolute travesty."

"This horrific incident is yet another reminder of Governor Hochuls' and Mayor Adams' complete failure to provide the critical mental health services desperately needed by so many people in our city," the statement said. "What's more, the fact that someone who took the life of a distressed, mentally-ill human being on a subway could be set free without facing any consequences is shocking, and evidences the City's callous indifference to the lives of those who are homeless and psychiatrically unwell. This is an absolute travesty that must be investigated immediately."
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 05-03-2023 at 07:51 PM.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    crickets on this so far...

There was a black guy helping the marine subdue the guy, the black guy was helping assure people the marine wasn't putting pressure on his neck. If he were purposely trying to kill him, he would have died or passed out a lot sooner. He was just restraining him in a rear naked choke until police arrived. This guy has previously attacked innocent people including smashing a 64 year old woman in the face. He had 44 prior arrests.
    Last edited by dannno; 05-04-2023 at 12:30 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

https://twitter.com/Timcast/status/1654116912576573441
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

https://twitter.com/USAB4L/status/1654186848451698688
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    There was a black guy helping the marine subdue the guy, the black guy was helping assure people the marine wasn't putting pressure on his neck. If he were purposely trying to kill him, he would have died or passed out a lot sooner. He was just restraining him in a rear naked choke until police arrived. This guy has previously attacked innocent people including smashing a 64 year old woman in the face. He had 42 prior arrests.
    What's your belt in Brazilian Jujitsu? Just curious. I'm a blue belt. That's a rear naked choke. It's mainly designed as a blood choke. It can put pressure on the trachea as well. Really the only way to defend yourself is to pull on the choking arm with your hands...and you can't to that if your hands are being restrained by someone else. I've put that choke on people. I've had that choke put on me. Saying "there was no pressure on the neck" is BS. I don't think it was done purposefully to cause death, but it caused the death. Coroner's report already concluded that. He could and should have retrained the man with a seatbelt hold which is across the chest and not across then neck. As for the previous arrests, that irrelevant to what happened this time. Did have have a weapon? I haven't heard that in any report so far.

For reference:

verses the hold he should have been using:

Edit : Having trouble finding the video of the entire incident, but I did find this report from CBS news.

At 0:50 in:

In these screen grabs you can see a 24 year old subway rider putting a 30 year old man in a chokehold. He holds the 30 year old around the neck for 3 minutes in the video. At some point two other riders join in trying to restrain the 30 year olds arms.

I'm sure none of them intended to kill him. But that explains why it took as long as it did for him to pass out. With his arm's free, Jordan could protect his neck. With his arms restrained all he could do was struggle which likely made the choke tighter.
    Last edited by jmdrake; 05-04-2023 at 12:51 PM.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1653880169516466178
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

There was a black guy helping the marine subdue the guy, the black guy was helping assure people the marine wasn't putting pressure on his neck. If he were purposely trying to kill him, he would have died or passed out a lot sooner. He was just restraining him in a rear naked choke until police arrived. This guy has previously attacked innocent people including smashing a 64 year old woman in the face. He had 44 prior arrests.
    In a truly just society, the DA/parole boards would be held accountable for . . . all of this. In some cases, such as this, it is actually safer for the criminals themselves to be in prison than on the streets.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The usual suspects are going to do what they do in the name of this incident, but I'll bet that if this dude gets prosecuted, he will be convicted for the wrong reasons, or he will be acquitted for the wrong reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    What's your belt in Brazilian Jujitsu? Just curious. I'm a blue belt. That's a rear naked choke. It's mainly designed as a blood choke. It can put pressure on the trachea as well. Really the only way to defend yourself is to pull on the choking arm with your hands...and you can't to that if your hands are being restrained by someone else. I've put that choke on people. I've had that choke put on me. Saying "there was no pressure on the neck" is BS. I don't think it was done purposefully to cause death, but it caused the death. Coroner's report already concluded that. He could and should have retrained the man with a seatbelt hold which is across the chest and not across then neck. As for the previous arrests, that irrelevant to what happened this time. Did have have a weapon? I haven't heard that in any report so far.

For reference:

verses the hold he should have been using:

It's ironic that when well-trained Police kill people when restraining them, it's usually* considered following policy, procedures and training.

(* St. George of Floyd being the textbook exception, as his death was so useful to the left.)

When untrained citizens end up killing someone when restraining them from committing a crime, it's called "vigilantism", murder and/or racism.

https://twitter.com/bradlander/statu...87340609179648
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 05-04-2023 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    In a truly just society, the DA/parole boards would be held accountable for . . . all of this. In some cases, such as this, it is actually safer for the criminals themselves to be in prison than on the streets.
    Yeah. Alvin Bragg is a POS DA.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

It's ironic that when well-trained Police kill people when restraining them, it's usually* considered following policy, procedures and training.

(* St. George of Floyd being the textbook example, as his death was so useful to the left.)

When untrained citizens end up killing someone when restraining them from committing a crime, it's called "vigilantism", murder and/or racism.

https://twitter.com/bradlander/statu...87340609179648
    Dereck Chauvin went outside of police when he kept his foot on Floyd's back and neck after it was determined Floyd no longer had a pulse. As for this case, I'm not sure what to think beyond the fact that there was a better way to accomplish the same goal of restraining an out of control person especially after other people joined in to restrain his arms. TBH, I didn't even consider the whole "seatbelt - rear naked choke" thing until I went back to look at the death of Eric Garner. In that case the officer started off in a seatbelt hold (legal) then was slipping off and ended up in a rear naked choke hold. Without knowing about Eric Garner I might have thought a rear naked choke was safe to put someone in during a street encounter. After all in the gym I try to do that. But that's in a safe environment among friends who know when to tap.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1653880169516466178
    Of course AOC is on the case.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    If this guy had 44 prior arrests to this incident, why was this person still being released? knowing the person would still get arrested and released?

I'm a blue belt. That's a rear naked choke. It's mainly designed as a blood choke.
    How long does it take for somebody in a rear naked choke to pass out? Do they die?

Smart money, this guy was on lethal doses of fentanyl, just like George Floyd.

How long does it take for somebody in a rear naked choke to pass out? Do they die?
    If your arms are free you can defend a rear naked choke indefinitely.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    If this guy had 44 prior arrests to this incident, why was this person still being released? knowing the person would still get arrested and released?
    You can have 44 misdemeanor arrests.

I'm 100% for Joe Blow corralling psychos, if the psycho dies, oh-well...

Cops are another story, they're paid to "professionally" handle psychos and deliver them intact to the Just-Us system.

Two different casts of psycho handlers, two different expectations.

The Grunt shoulda just beat the hell out of him instead of trying to be nice.

Smart money, this guy was on lethal doses of fentanyl, just like George Floyd.
    That's the intangible here.

How much does it matter when someone's health status is such that they die easily?

Would the same be excused if the victim was a 90 year old frail person placed in a chokehold?

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    That's the intangible here.

How much does it matter when someone's health status is such that they die easily?

Would the same be excused if the victim was a 90 year old frail person placed in a chokehold?
    A rear naked choke is an inherently dangerous move regardless of the age. At first Mr. Neely's hands were free which explains why he could hold out for as long as he did. The the other well meaning passengers restrained his hands. RNCs are safe to practice in a controlled environment like a gym or in competition where there are refs and ring doctors to make sure everything is okay.

https://twitter.com/bungarsargon/sta...35160974000129

Not my circus, not my monkeys honey.

If you are a NYC city woman, I can bet good money you're a progressive Marxist.

Which means you have consistently voted for this over and over again.

Unless it's immediate friends or family or myself of course, I'm not lifting a finger, because the government you voted for is going to crucify this poor bastard who did.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

Cops are another story, they're paid to "professionally" handle psychos and deliver them intact to the Just-Us system.

I want to like this guy, but for some reason rattling around in my mind, I don't.

I'll reserve judgment on him until we get to know a little more.

I'm suspicious that he might be a bit like this character, played by the great Marjoe Gortner.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    I can only assume it is done intentionally. They release the dregs of society back onto the streets hoping for an outcome like this, that can be used to curry political points.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

Exactly. I'm tired of civilians (or people acting in a civilian capacity) being held to a higher standard than the government.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They are going to dregg up old social media posts to imply the white guy is racist and wanted to kill blacks and he will be convicted of murder, just like they did to the convicted Austin guy that killed the armed BLM protestor.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

https://twitter.com/SunnyMarmalaid/s...74102381264901

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Unless it's immediate friends or family or myself of course, I'm not lifting a finger, because the government you voted for is going to crucify this poor bastard who did.
    Oh, shut up, you bourgeois politicizer of dehumanization!

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/statu...50347862495232
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

You can have 44 misdemeanor arrests.
    I'm wondering how an unemployed , homeless crazy person is paying those 44 fines.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    https://twitter.com/bungarsargon/sta...35160974000129

Not my circus, not my monkeys honey.

Pretty much . I dont even know why a young white guy would so much as touch this guy unless he was attacked. He has nothing to gain and lots to lose. I wouldnt use a subway unarmed and I wouldnt snuff anyone who didnt attack myself or my family. Rest of the marxists are on own.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I'm wondering how an unemployed , homeless crazy person is paying those 44 fines.
    You can't get blood from a turnip.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Oh, shut up, you bourgeois politicizer of dehumanization!
    Well, all the rest of western jurisprudence has been denounced as white supremacy, I imagine it's only a matter of time before self defense is as well.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast