Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imagine...

Imagine...

My mother died this morning, after a number of serious illnesses.

Almost immediately after hearing the news, that loathsome earwig of a song, "Imagine" by John Lennon, came up on the radio.

In my melancholy state, it occurred to me, that, while I have always disliked that song and it's lyrics, it hit home that we have, in fact, created that world that Lennon was writing about.

Imagine all the people
    Living for today

Can't argue that is exactly what people do now. The future be damned, me me me, now now now.

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too

Outside of those nations and people that have not lost their soul or will to live, that's also what we have now.

And if there is nothing to kill or die for, then there is no absolute truth, there is no virtue, there is no glory, there is no desire to create and live better.

Just subjection to tyranny, forever.

Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace

At the barrel of a government gun.

Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can

"You'll own nothing, and be happy."

Sound familiar?

Where is the pride in creating something that is yours? Where is the sense of accomplishment that you have saved and scrimped to own something nice that belongs to you alone? Where is the sense of relief when you finally have paid the last payment and that home is yours?

That's the plan for the future.

"Atomized Man".

Grabastic sacks of protoplasmic $#@!, mindlessly lurching through a meaningless life of consumption until dead.

But the opening lines hit me the hardest.

Imagine there's no heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky

No judgement.

No future.

No hope of conciousness and awareness and salvation.

Nothing beyond your life of consumption and then a hideous afterlife of living in a computer chip.

I sat with my mother last night and prayed over her while she was still slightly aware.

Yes, I'm a hypocrite, and a vile sinner.

I am also an $#@!, neither my mother or my long dead father cared very much for me.

But I did that for her, her grip relaxed and breathing eased as I read the 23rd Psalm to her, and I asked the power of Christ to flow into her, to help ease her suffering and pain and fear.

And it did her good.

So, imagine there's no heaven...I have.

And the people who have imagined that world, which is now all around me, these people that shout "peace!" "peace!" at me day and night as if they were AntiChrist incarnate, when all they really mean is subjugation and submission by force to their will, have done nothing to create anything better.

All they have done is create hell on earth.

And that is precisely what that is called, hell, if you were to take away that hope, that promise of life eternal and heavenly grace and the salvation of almighty God himself, that can uplift entire peoples to do great things or give hope and comfort to a lonely man and his dying mother in some obscure hospital room.

An angry, $#@!ty epitaph, I know...I'll do better in public.

But they are my true thoughts.

Rest in peace, mom.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 03-18-2023 at 12:09 PM.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sorry AF

RIP Mom.

Sorry, AF.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I'm sorry for all that you're going through, man. I really am, not just saying that.

When I first saw that title for this thread, I thought about how John Lennon ruined that word for me like the LGBTQHB community ruined all classic poetry with the word gay in it.

I used to play the guitar a lot and a lot of people wanted me to play imagine. I was reworking the lyrics to ironically sing about Stalin and Moa being visionaries. But I have come to hate that song so much that even I can't satirically approach it. Funny thing, I used to like it a lot when I was in my early 20s before I understood the world. The lyrics are better than any temptation that the devil can put forward. Like most temptations, it's so uplifting that the idealistic overlooks the consequences.

Sorry for your loss AF.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Thanks guys.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I'm sorry for all that you're going through, man. I really am, not just saying that.

When I first saw that title for this thread, I thought about how John Lennon ruined that word for me like the LGBTQHB community ruined all classic poetry with the word gay in it.

I used to play the guitar a lot and a lot of people wanted me to play imagine. I was reworking the lyrics to ironically sing about Stalin and Moa being visionaries. But I have come to hate that song so much that even I can't satirically approach it. Funny thing, I used to like it a lot when I was in my early 20s before I understood the world. The lyrics are better than any temptation that the devil can put forward. Like most temptations, it's so uplifting that the idealistic overlooks the consequences.
    Exactly.

Very sorry for your loss. May she rest in peace.

John Lennon was the typical communist elitist. Talks about people giving up their property, but fled high taxes in the UK to move to the US along with many British entertainers. It's always "communism for you, not for me" with these types.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt4Liberty View Post
    Very sorry for your loss. May she rest in peace.

John Lennon was the typical communist elitist. Talks about people giving up their property, but fled high taxes in the UK to move to the US along with many British entertainers. It's always "communism for you, not for me" with these types.
    Thanks, it's appreciated.

The property idea is bad enough, but when you murder faith and hope, well, that's just pure evil.

Heavenly Father,
    bless anti-federalists with peace as he deals with his grief and comfort him in this time of loss let him only remember the good memories
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    Heavenly Father,
    bless anti-federalists with peace as he deals with his grief and comfort him in this time of loss let him only remember the good memories
    Amen and thanks.

Never cared for "imagine", but I found I could relate to "watching the wheels" after having my children and turning 40 - perspective... I too have had songs come to mind that have marked the passing of family members.

Its good that you were there to offer comfort and prayer. I am honestly surprised at how many people cower from such situations, especially when it requires forgiveness for a lifetime of grievances.

Sincere condolences my friend, and God bless both of your souls.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

My condolences.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Never cared for "imagine", but I found I could relate to "watching the wheels" after having my children and turning 40 - perspective... I too have had songs come to mind that have marked the passing of family members.

Its good that you were there to offer comfort and prayer. I am honestly surprised at how many people cower from such situations, especially when it requires forgiveness for a lifetime of grievances.

Sincere condolences my friend, and God bless both of your souls.
    Thank you brother, much appreciated.

Wow, sorry to hear that, AF. RIP.

As far as the religion thing, my mother went through something similar. She’s the only person in this world I could never figure out, but something changed her atheist (or agnostic?) beliefs in the last year of her life. She had started to get dementia, but embraced some bible verses I gave her. I was almost stunned to see that. She abruptly lost her life totally unrelated to her failing mental health, but I was happy to see her views on God and Jesus change.

As far as John Lennon—yeah, that song Imagine sucks. It is odd though, because I like some songs with libtard themes. I look at words & such like this:

1. What does it say?
    2. What does it mean?
    3. What does it mean to me?

Neil Young’s Rockin’ in the Free World is a hopeless mantra from a diehard Bolshevik, so all I can do is filter the lyrics my own way (see # 3 above). So yeah, Canadian boy Neil, We [actually do] have a thousand points of light For the homeless man because charitable giving stats show that Americans are the most consistent charitable givers in the world.

Ronnie Van Zant wrote that we should throw every Saturday Night Special to the bottom of the sea, but only said that after being shot himself. Several Skynyrd band members were also armed looking for some scoundrel in a Jacksonville bar, so that also makes me wonder about their real views. Either way, I can’t cast out their whole body of work based on one song. Besides, Two feets they come a creepin’ Like a black cat do are awesome lyrics!

The beat of the two aforementioned songs can’t be beat, but I can’t say that for Imagine. The lyrics and the music are horrible, but I can still take something away from it. Imagine says there’s No need for greed. I think everyone agrees on that, but the route to get there varies. The Bolshevik will tell you to change the world structure to eliminate greed, but the religious man will tell you the way to eliminate greed is to change your heart. I think it’s easy to see the flaw in the Bolshevik approach. The perfection of changing one’s heart is the only thing that works.

Okay, I am rambling now, so time for some music!

For $20 I can by myself one, too? I'll take 5 of 'em!

Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 03-19-2023 at 01:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

I was just thinking about Imagine versus Let it Be because it seems an inviting comparison. So I looked it up an found an intriguing article.

McCartney's mother died of cancer in 1956. Paul was 14 years old. Here is an interesting passage from an article about the song:

Is this song about the Virgin Mary? McCartney typically answers the question by assuring his fans that they can interpret the song however they would like. However, he is always careful to say that the literal genesis of the song was a particular event: During the final days of the Beatles, their business was in chaos caused by a bitter management dispute, and the four guys who had been close friends for years were coming unglued. One night, Paul’s mother Mary, who had passed away, appeared to him in a dream and comforted him, telling him to let go. That’s all.

The article's author goes on to say:

Now, be honest. Do you believe the song Let it Be is not manifestly about the Virgin Mary? The words tell us about the hour of darkness, a broken hearted world, an eternal light, and an eternal life giving wisdom. There is universality in McCartney’s longing for the answer to suffering. The Blessed Mother knows this more than anyone does.

Yes, the song is absolutely about the Virgin Mary.

There are some other interesting insights in this article: http://catholicstand.com/a-lesson-on...les-let-it-be/

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My condolences my friend…. Lost my mother in October. She was 98. Miss her but have great memories as am sure you will have
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Wow, sorry to hear that, AF. RIP.

Ronnie Van Zant wrote that we should throw every Saturday Night Special to the bottom of the sea, but only said that after being shot himself. Several Skynyrd band members were also armed looking for some scoundrel in a Jacksonville bar, so that also makes me wonder about their real views. Either way, I can’t cast out their whole body of work based on one song. Besides, Two feets they come a creepin’ Like a black cat do are awesome lyrics!
    Thanks.

Yeah I often wondered about that dichotomy myself.

Van Zandt writes SNS and then, two years later, writes this:

Yeah, I know "conventional wisdom" claims they were talking about record sales "bullet points" but I don't believe that $#@! for a second.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Sorry for your loss brother.

I think I remember reading that Lennon later came to the conclusion that his younger ideas were stupid.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    Sorry for your loss brother.

I think I remember reading that Lennon later came to the conclusion that his younger ideas were stupid.
    Thank you for your concern, I appreciate it.

Well, maybe he wasn't so dense after all

Condolences.

Here’s a song that is somewhat religious in nature, but the caveat is don't listen unless you have plenty of Kleenex ready...

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I was just thinking about Imagine versus Let it Be because it seems an inviting comparison. So I looked it up an found an intriguing article.

McCartney's mother died of cancer in 1956. Paul was 14 years old. Here is an interesting passage from an article about the song:

Is this song about the Virgin Mary? McCartney typically answers the question by assuring his fans that they can interpret the song however they would like. However, he is always careful to say that the literal genesis of the song was a particular event: During the final days of the Beatles, their business was in chaos caused by a bitter management dispute, and the four guys who had been close friends for years were coming unglued. One night, Paul’s mother Mary, who had passed away, appeared to him in a dream and comforted him, telling him to let go. That’s all.

The article's author goes on to say:

Now, be honest. Do you believe the song Let it Be is not manifestly about the Virgin Mary? The words tell us about the hour of darkness, a broken hearted world, an eternal light, and an eternal life giving wisdom. There is universality in McCartney’s longing for the answer to suffering. The Blessed Mother knows this more than anyone does.

Yes, the song is absolutely about the Virgin Mary.

There are some other interesting insights in this article: http://catholicstand.com/a-lesson-on...les-let-it-be/
    McCartney was the genius in The Beatles. Any other average musician of the time could have taken Lennon’s place.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too...
    Oh, they have a religion alright. It is wokeism. And non-believers must die.

The Bolshevik will tell you to change the world structure to eliminate greed, but the religious man will tell you the way to eliminate greed is to change your heart. I think it’s easy to see the flaw in the Bolshevik approach. The perfection of changing one’s heart is the only thing that works.
    I have been thinking about that lately. I'm in my 50s and I noticed as the years go by you can see the wear and tear different demons (spiritual or metaphoric) leave on one's face. You can tell if someone over ate, over smoked, even deviancies leave a mark. Look how fast the wokesters age, how the rage in their hearts mar their faces. I've seen people in their early 20s age faster than heavy smokers.

When I was a kid, I used to see the old gossipy ladies at church with the wrinkled puckers lips from scowling at other people with disapproval. They at least had two somewhat redeeming qualities, there were biblical laws they followed, some were literally written in stone. They also had to pretend that they had the love of Jesus in their hearts.

Wokesters are the new church ladies, but there are no ethics written in stone. I try to treat everyone with respect. That isn't enough for their religion. They have a new sort of religion that is in a constant chaotic state of flux. Different people must be treated differently and that changes almost daily. They also don't have to pretend that they love anyone except certain classes of people. Anyone they disagree with is a nazi and they are not just free but encouraged to hate them.

And you can see the hatred in their hearts on their deranged faces. They have the most vile hearts that they won't change as they try to crash the whole system down to change that.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I have been thinking about that lately. I'm in my 50s and I noticed as the years go by you can see the wear and tear different demons (spiritual or metaphoric) leave on one's face. You can tell if someone over ate, over smoked, even deviancies leave a mark. Look how fast the wokesters age, how the rage in their hearts mar their faces. I've seen people in their early 20s age faster than heavy smokers.

When I was a kid, I used to see the old gossipy ladies at church with the wrinkled puckers lips from scowling at other people with disapproval. They at least had two somewhat redeeming qualities, there were biblical laws they followed, some were literally written in stone. They also had to pretend that they had the love of Jesus in their hearts.

Wokesters are the new church ladies, but there are no ethics written in stone. I try to treat everyone with respect. That isn't enough for their religion. They have a new sort of religion that is in a constant chaotic state of flux. Different people must be treated differently and that changes almost daily. They also don't have to pretend that they love anyone except certain classes of people. Anyone they disagree with is a nazi and they are not just free but encouraged to hate them.

And you can see the hatred in their hearts on their deranged faces. They have the most vile hearts that they won't change as they try to crash the whole system down to change that.
    Owe ya a rep....

Buried mom this morning.

Here's the less dark eulogy I delivered.

Family, Friends, brothers and sisters in Christ, ladies and gentlemen thank you for coming out to offer condolences and respect for our family in our grief and loss, your presence is appreciated and welcome.

My mother, passed away from this life on Saturday morning the 18th of March.

Her husband J, my stepdad, was by her side.

Her love of family was one of her greatest passions, she is survived by her sons AF and Little Bro AF, sisters in law , her grandchildren , her step-grandchildren. She was also a motherly figure to my cousins...

There is one family member that is not here with us today, and that is J, the dog, who is a huge, lovable floof of a dog, half Anatolian Shepard and Great Pyrenees that adopted from the Humane Society last year.

Mom became very fond of J, who came to visit her frequently during our last year with her.

This why we respectfully request that, in lieu of flowers, to please donate in Jean's name to the Lakes Humane Society, the address and instructions can be found in your handout or just ask one of the family.

My mother loved to travel, and some of my fondest memories as a child were travels and day trips and camping adventures all over.

When I was 14 years old she arranged to have me travel with my grandparents to the Swiss alps for summer vacation in Europe. One of the first things I did upon arrival was to buy a Eurorail pass and spend almost every day just traveling to random towns and cities in Germany and Italy and France and having the time of my life, as young man . You may wonder, why did I leave grandparents behind? It was not cruel or inconsiderate...we were staying at, what in winter was a ski village, up about 8000 feet above sea level. The only way up was a bus ride up single lane switchbacks, steeper and sharper than the road up Mt Washington and Grandma was terrified. She didn't come down until the day we had to leave.

My mother's voyaging continued after she met and married J, they enjoyed extensive travels all around the world, from Yellowstone and the West Coast from Seattle to San Diego, to the sands of Honolulu, the Caribbean islands, to the inside passage and Alaska's shore,to the great north woods of Quebec.

There is also a strong seafaring tradition in the family, J's father was a decorated British naval veteran of WWII, her mother was a female athlete, competing and winning in, among other things, surf rescue lifeboat races on the Jersey shore where she grew up.

My dad is a maritime captain, so am I and so is my brother.

Mom put her time in as well, as she worked alongside my dad in one of the hardest and most grinding jobs there is, as a cook onboard a commercial fishing vessel.

That was how mom and pop, affectionately known as "" to their close friends, approached their life together. For over forty years, through thick and thin, flush or broke, fair weather or foul, they were at each other's side, ready to take the good with the bad and live life to the fullest and they always managed to come out on top.

Because of all that and so much more, I can think of no person who will be more heart broken and grief stricken than my dad at the loss of my mom and I would humbly ask, that of everybody assembled here today, that you pray for Joe going forward, that God's grace may ease his loss and his suffering at this time.

We love you Pop and are here for you.

Mom also loved music, particularly the "old country classics" and gospel hymns.

Songs that Ulysses Everett MacGill called, in that great movie, "O brother where art thou?" - Songs of Salvation to Salve the Soul.

Another fond memory of childhood are these old songs and the musicians that recorded them, as I heard them played in the house as I was growing up.

Johnny Cash and Hank Williams and Roy Orbison and Earl Scruggs and Willie Nelson.

Waylon Jennings and Elvis and Hank Snow and The Statler Brothers and George Jones...the list is almost endless.

A family anecdote revolves around how much trouble I got into, as a very young boy of maybe 6 or 7, for learning, and then singing, at the top of my lungs, a couple of Johnny Cash's...ummm..."spicier"...lyrics.

She still loved to listen to them all to her very last days.

I sat with her the evening before she passed away.

I played some of those old songs, and sang along as best I could, as I held her hand.

I softly sang "I Saw The Light" with Hanks Williams for her.

We listened to "What a Friend We have In Jesus" by Willie Nelson

And I shed a tear when I played "Will The Circle Be Unbroken".

I prayed over her, I prayed the 23rd Psalm, and the Lord's Prayer.

And I recited the words of Christ:

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
    Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

And the Holy Spirit touched her, and eased her suffering, and swept away her fear, she rested easy and breathed lightly.

Thank you Mom, for all that you did and all you have touched.

Rest in peace, secure in the knowledge of life everlasting, through the power and glory of Jesus Christ.

Amen.

I am very sorry for your loss AF. I always try and just think of the better times.
    Do something Danke

I never thought Lennon was a communism for you but not him guy . I think he was more likeable Bill mayer type of guy that wanted to lay around and get high and live in a utopia. The song itself I always just thought of as more prophecy . Nothing really wrong for wishing for peace but really everyone knows it cant happen. Mankind left to themselves are always going to want to take something from others. Te rest of that song though was bound to happen
    Do something Danke

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Missed this... I'm sorry for your loss, AF. Really sounds like your mom was a great person.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

.... But they are my true thoughts.
    Powerful words. Cuts deep. It's good to talk and share.
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Missed this... I'm sorry for your loss, AF. Really sounds like your mom was a great person.

Powerful words. Cuts deep. It's good to talk and share.
    Thank you.

My remarks were very well received.

She was, even though we shared a rocky relationship.

Peace was made...speaking of, do you, or does anybody else have any contact with @pcosmar?

I'd really like to hear how he is and hoping he has improved.

I have one old dead cel phone number.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast