Thread: IRS vs. Cash Tips

IRS vs. Cash Tips

IRS looking to introduce new program that could erase cash tipping altogether

https://www.kwtx.com/2023/03/15/irs-...ng-altogether/

WACO, Texas (KWTX) - The opportunity to leave a monetary tip for service is becoming more apparent when out shopping, and the IRS has taken notice.

It’s called the service industry tip compliance agreement, or S.I.T.C.A. for short, and it could change the way merchants receive tips.

As it stands now, when a card is used to pay, that information is sent to the IRS, automatically, even if you leave an unreported cash tip.

“The IRS uses what comes through cash registers and gets reported on credit cards, and that sort of thing, and then estimates the cash. They’ve been doing that for years,” said economist Ray Perryman.

What’s changing is that the point-of-sale system used would have to accept the same form of payment for tips as it does for sales.

This means card payments require card tips and cash payments require cash tips. No more paying with a card and tipping in cash.

“Our employees by law have to report 100% of their tips and our system makes them report that,” said popular Waco restaurant owner, Sammy Citrano.

Citrano owns one of the most popular destinations in the Waco area. To keep it that way, he ensures his employees report all their earnings, including tips.

“I don’t think it’d affect our people because we already pay all of the taxes on our tips,” said Citrano.

If you’re not reporting your tips already, heads up, that time is coming.

Any business or employee that continues to omit tip earnings can expect a visit from the IRS or a hefty tax bill.

“You’re going to be in one of the flags that they catch people and pretty likely audit them,” said Perryman.

The IRS claims this new program is just a part of modernizing how they receive information from merchants.

Times are changing for payment acceptance and the IRS wants to adapt, at the risk of losing cash tips.

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is bogus. They cannot outlaw me handing cash to a waiter or waitress regardless of how I pay for my meal.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    This is bogus. They cannot outlaw me handing cash to a waiter or waitress regardless of how I pay for my meal.
    Of course they can.

If you think they may not, I'd be interested to hear why. But they can.

Getting a federal law passed in this country is easy. It's expensive, but it's easy as pie.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 03-17-2023 at 07:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

cashless grid implementation.

precursor to mark of the beast.

no man buy or sell without selling soul to the Antichrist.
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    They don't plan to. As proposed the service industry tip compliance agreement is a voluntary tip reporting program for employers.

Employers are responsible for their share of FICA taxes even on unreported tips received by their employees. In 2002 the Supreme Court ruled that the IRS is authorized to use an aggregate estimation method when a restaurant underreports its tip income and that restaurants could be held liable for taxes beyond what their individual employees reported for tips. The aggregate estimation method uses overall credit card charges to determine the average percentage tip rate paid by the customers. This rate is then applied to the total sales reported to estimate unreported cash tips.

The idea behind the proposed service industry tip compliance agreement program is to give employers in the service industry a way to report tip income without being liable for unpaid FICA taxes. The program would not force customers to do or refrain from doing anything.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    They don't plan to. As proposed the service industry tip compliance agreement is a voluntary tip reporting program for employers.

Employers are responsible for their share of FICA taxes even on unreported tips received by their employees. In 2002 the Supreme Court ruled that the IRS is authorized to use an aggregate estimation method when a restaurant underreports its tip income and that restaurants could be held liable for taxes beyond what their individual employees reported for tips. The aggregate estimation method uses overall credit card charges to determine the average percentage tip rate paid by the customers. This rate is then applied to the total sales reported to estimate unreported cash tips.

The idea behind the proposed service industry tip compliance agreement program is to give employers in the service industry a way to report tip income without being liable for unpaid FICA taxes. The program would not force customers to do or refrain from doing anything.
    They can suck on a frozen pole, because tips are not income at all. They are gifts.
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

“He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.”
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Sounds like a way to bring forth a cashless society.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Those 87,000 IRS agents the Biden Regime wants hired aren't going to go after millionaires and billionaires.

They're meant to go after us. The normal common people who are trying to make a little extra cash here and there. They're meant for the average Joe who made some money off of cryptos.

Once the common people start making a little money, the rich and politicians collude to keep us in our place.
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Sounds like a way to bring forth a cashless society.
    This too.

Central Bank Digital Currencies that a lot of soy boys are foaming at the mouth over.
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

Yeah, make sure those waitresses pay "their fair share", dammit!!!

My MIC-paycheck depends on it.
    Jer. 11:18-20. "The Kingdom of God has come upon you." -- Matthew 12:28