Thread: Rand vs. Gary Peters

Rand vs. Gary Peters

Not sure who was right here, but thought you might find it interesting.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) abruptly left a committee meeting on Wednesday after the Democratic chairman took steps to undermine the committee's Republican members.

The Senate Homeland Security Committee was meeting for committee markup on the Fire Grants and Safety Act, a bill that would provide increased federal support for fire departments. But the meeting became tense when Chairman Gary Peters (D) used procedural tactics against Paul and the amendments he had introduced.

One of those amendments would make fire departments ineligible for federal money if they terminated employees for not getting the COVID-19 vaccine. They would become eligible, however, if they reinstated such individuals and awarded them back pay.

But Peters essentially canceled the effect of Paul's amendment "by substituting language requiring the comptroller general of the United States to conduct an audit and report on barriers that prevent fire departments from accessing funds," The Hill reported.

That was the final straw for Paul.

He accused Peters of playing a "legislative prank on the American public" by repeatedly countering his amendments with second-degree amendments, which are amendments to amendments. Paul said Peters was doing this to prevent Democrats from having to "vote directly on a vaccine amendment."

The two senators then argued over parliamentary procedures and whether Paul could offer a second-degree amendment and whether Peters' amendment was actually a third-degree amendment.

"If this is the way you're going to run the committee, I would suggest that Republicans leave," Paul finally said. "I don't see why we should stick around if you're going to make up the rule. I mean, you're going to offer a third-degree amendment?!"

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (I-Ariz.) intervened by encouraging the lawmakers to cool their tempers, but Paul made clear that Peters was leading unfairly.

"This is the first time we've had a hearing since I've been here that I know of where we've had second-degree amendments on every one of our amendments to avoid voting on the amendment. So we have simply done the same thing," Paul explained. "It was offered from this microphone. I was recognized to offer it, and now they're going back on it and trying to change the rules."

"I, for one, won't stay here," Paul declared, "if we're going to have a third-degree amendment that only the majority gets to offer."

And with that, Paul left.

The committee eventually adopted Peters' version of the amendment; all Democrats voted for it, while not a single Republican supported it.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post

Not sure who was right here, but thought you might find it interesting.
    If it is just a kangaroo committee where only the Chair gets to write and rewrite all of the bills and amendments, then declare whatever legislation he wants as passed with a voice vote ("in the opinion of the Chair, the ayes have it"), then Peters must be right. This is a committee run by the American CCP after all.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Muh representative democracy.
    The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ