Thread: Oklahoma Voters To Decide On Marijuana Legalization Ballot Measure

Oklahoma Voters To Decide On Marijuana Legalization Ballot Measure

Oklahoma Voters To Decide On Marijuana Legalization Ballot Measure

By Tom Angell
    March 6, 2023

Oklahoma voters are heading to the polls on Tuesday to decide on a ballot measure that would legalize marijuana for adults.

In most counties throughout the state, the cannabis measure—State Question 820—is the only thing that voters will see on their ballot—a unique situation in the history of legalization initiatives.

Advocates tried to put the reform on the November 2022 ballot, but delays in signature verification by officials and the state Supreme Court’s subsequent decision in litigation meant that it missed the window to qualify for that cycle. In October, Gov. Kevin Stitt (R) called a special election for the cannabis measure, now taking place on Tuesday.

read more:
    https://www.marijuanamoment.net/okla...allot-measure/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good.
    "I am a bird"

With so many states legalizing Marijuana, why don't the "representatives" work the legalized it federally?

I was just in OKC and couldn't buy THC products without a medical card. There is no reason that marijuana shouldn't be fully legal.

Metro areas have yet to be counted much though. It will definitely tighten.

Race has been called. Too much Tucker Carlson anti-marijuana propaganda weighed on their minds I think. 😄

Ghost of Waylon Jennings hit song must be chucking

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    good move OK.

legal weed is a bad example for the children and risky roads.
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    good move OK.

Weak ass argument that could much better be applied to make the case for alcohol prohibition.... but we all know how well that went.

good move OK.

A worse example for children is making them think it is ok to lock people in cages for growing a plant like a fascist.

Roads are less risky with legalized cannabis. You have less drunks - people who drink and smoke herb won't drink as heavily and some will choose not to drink and instead just smoke herb. Plus driving stoned isn't really very risky, some people actually drive better stoned than sober and there are many studies that show this.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    A worse example for children is making them think it is ok to lock people in cages for growing a plant like a fascist.

Roads are less risky with legalized cannabis. You have less drunks - people who drink and smoke herb won't drink as heavily and some will choose not to drink and instead just smoke herb. Plus driving stoned isn't really very risky, some people actually drive better stoned than sober and there are many studies that show this.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post

heroin and opium and hash i guess you want legal also, and cocaine, cuz it's a plant.

anyway. I'm not against marijuana use in some settings. I used to smoke it and still will if I want to. I just don't think it should be legal and encouraged. I believe law enforcement should have the ability to investigate when there is marijuana. I'm for semi-decrim. Btw I know what it's like to get caught with it by cops. More than a few times.
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

I'm not supporting another pro-weed bill until I see some tobacco legalization.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

The medical marijuana system in place works too well. It has been seriously good for creating small businesses. Oklahoma voters usually have just enough sense to know that if it ain't broke, it's wisest not to fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

heroin and opium and hash i guess you want legal also, and cocaine, cuz it's a plant.
    Correct.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wish it was a marijuana decriminalization ballot measure.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Wish it was a marijuana decriminalization ballot measure.
    They don't have those on the federal level. Remember, the feds can go back to enforcing that crap at any moment.
    We believe our lying eyes...

Remind me why you're on a libertarian forum, again?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    With so many states legalizing Marijuana, why don't the "representatives" work the legalized it federally?
    I think they still want to empower DEA and IRS to raid and loot at will. The current federal government is a foreign corporation seated in a sovereign city running a pirate operation, nothing more.
    Last edited by devil21; 03-08-2023 at 10:49 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I'm not supporting another pro-weed bill until I see some tobacco legalization.
    There's an old SNL skit in there somewhere.

Anyway. I'm for decriminalization, but bit of advice, if you want to ever sell it to the Right, stick with differentiating between violent/non-violent offenses. It's a far better chance of making a breakthrough than coming out swinging over the virtues of smoking weed.

What got me completely on board with decriminalizing it was when I was picked for grand jury duty and had to listen to drastically different cases being presented back to back.

One case we had this repeat-offender rapist running around assaulting local women. (this guy actually had two cases against him in the same hearing)

The next case was about a guy who was well-known and almost cordial with local PD getting busted with some weed. The officer pitching the case laughs because this guy just admits it whenever he's caught. It's like some song and dance they do. (think Otis the town drunk on the Andy Griffith show).

Quite clearly one is a scourge on society and needs to be put away. The other is, by comparison, a waste of time.

But I think you lose the conservatives when you nonchalantly present it as if drugs have no impact on someone's life. They'll never go for that.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 03-08-2023 at 10:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

heroin and opium and hash i guess you want legal also, and cocaine, [...]

[...] cuz it's a plant.
    no, not cuz it's a plant

cuz it's nunya dam bidness
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

anyway. I'm not against marijuana use in some settings. I used to smoke it and still will if I want to. I just don't think it should be legal and encouraged. I believe law enforcement should have the ability to investigate when there is marijuana. I'm for semi-decrim. Btw I know what it's like to get caught with it by cops. More than a few times.
    Government has no authority to dictate what people freely chose to consume.

Will Grigg
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson