Thread: Kevin McCarthy: Republicans, Biden Can Find ‘Common Ground’ on Debt Ceiling, Spending Cuts

Kevin McCarthy: Republicans, Biden Can Find ‘Common Ground’ on Debt Ceiling, Spending Cuts

LOL - That didn't take long...what's it been? Three weeks...not even a month.

Kevin McCarthy: Republicans, Biden Can Find ‘Common Ground’ on Debt Ceiling, Spending Cuts

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...spending-cuts/

SEAN MORAN 1 Feb 2023

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) said after a meeting with President Joe Biden that he is optimistic that Democrats and Republicans can find “common ground” on the debt limit and spending.

McCarthy said he and Biden had a “good first meeting,” and they shared their opposing opinions on how to raise the debt limit.

“We promised we would continue the conversation and we’ll see if we can get there. I think that at the end of the day, we can find common ground.” McCarthy said, adding that he and Biden will continue negotiating on potential compromises on the debt ceiling.

“I told the president I would like to see if we can come to an agreement long before the deadline, and we can start working on other things,” he added.

McCarthy also appeared to rule out the idea of putting together a commission to find spending cuts, which some lawmakers have advocated for.

“Nobody needs a commission to tell us … we have spent too much,” the Speaker said.

McCarthy also said, “The greatest threat to America is our debt.”

House Republicans as well as many Senate Republicans have called for structural spending reforms and cuts as part of raising the debt ceiling.

Biden has called for raising the debt ceiling with no spending cuts or reforms.
    This remains in stark contrast to 2006, when then-Sen. Joe Biden (D-DE) voted against raising the debt ceiling, expressing alarm about the rapid increase in the debt under then-President George W. Bush.

Biden said in a 2006 Senate floor speech:

Facts had changed. His promise to balance the budget, his promise to pay down the debt, were proved to be false. [Emphasis added]

But he refused to take responsibility for his policies. He refused to admit that a changed world demanded a change of course.

His refusal has pushed us deeper and deeper into the hole. His refusal added $450 billion to the debt in 2002; it added $984 billion in 2003; it added $800 billion in 2004. And here we are again today, adding another $781 billion. With that addition, our national debt will be $8.6 trillion at the end of this year.

The President’s budget plans will bring that number to $11.8 trillion at the end of the next 5 years. This is a record of utter disregard for our Nation’s financial future. It is a record of indifference to the price our children and grandchildren will pay to redeem our debt when it comes due. History will not judge this record kindly.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said on Monday, “No hostage-taking, no brinkmanship. Pass the debt ceiling.”
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm shocked. Completely shocked by this.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

He'll agree to anything tto get them to get rid of Camela along with Brandon so he can be POTUS.

The question is what will the rest of the House do.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Meaningless. Biden didn't remember the conversation 10 minutes after McCarthy left the room. Others are making the decisions, and the left is predictable. They would rather see the Earth destroyed in a nuclear Armageddon than give one inch. Holding out until there is a real threat of the US defaulting on it's debt is no problem for them. Allowing the US to default on it's debt would be no problem for them. They would brag that they never gave an inch, and also that they won if they took the whole world to hell with them. That's a win in their minds.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Meaningless. Biden didn't remember the conversation 10 minutes after McCarthy left the room. Others are making the decisions, and the left is predictable. They would rather see the Earth destroyed in a nuclear Armageddon than give one inch. Holding out until there is a real threat of the US defaulting on it's debt is no problem for them. Allowing the US to default on it's debt would be no problem for them. They would brag that they never gave an inch, and also that they won if they took the whole world to hell with them. That's a win in their minds.
    I am sure most Republicans would agree with Biden/Liberals on supporting Ukraine and pushing the conflict even further.

I don't negotiate with someone who thinks my constituents are domestic terrorists.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    One thing about American Politics. The left regardless of how wrong they are unite and stick together. The right when in power tear each other down. Not much different than the forum rules. Here no negative news can be presented in a person's own forum. That is how the democrats are. Republicans bitch about their own openly and join the opposition. Considering the way this game is presently played, Republicans should figure out a game plan and unite or they will be conquered.
    I guess the system is at fault for having parties in the first place. Would be much better if every Representative were judged on Substance and Merit.
    However, with questionable elections, meaning that an idiot that never campaigns wins an election with more votes than any other politician in history, one must ask, Does any of this really matter, or at this point in time, What difference does it make?
    Last edited by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged; 02-02-2023 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged View Post
    One thing about American Politics. The left regardless of how wrong they are unite and stick together. The right when in power tear each other down. Not much different than the forum rules. Here no negative news can be presented in a person's own forum. That is how the democrats are. Republicans bitch about their own openly and join the opposition. Considering the way this game is presently played, Republicans should figure out a game plan and unite or they will be conquered.
    I guess the system is at fault for having parties in the first place. Would be much better if every Representative were judged on Substance and Merit.
    However, with questionable elections, meaning that an idiot that never campaigns wins an election with more votes than any other politician in history, one must ask, Does any of this really matter, or at this point in time, What difference does it make?
    Corruption aside, which infests both sides, there are generalizations to be made about today’s parties.

One side values conformity to the group over all else. One side tends to value ideals, reason and what is more objectively right.

Which side would tend to have more debate and disagreement?

Reagan tried to combat that with his 11th amendment: “Thou shalt not speak ill of another Republican.” But that is difficult, especially when the left infested the GOP in the form of RINO neoconservatism.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 02-02-2023 at 11:44 AM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.