Thread: Pat Buchanan retires at age 84

Pat Buchanan retires at age 84

In a quick review of the themes of his later books particularly "Death of the West" "State of Emergency" and "A Republic not an Empire"Pat has been consistently right and true and correct about damn near every single thing he opined on.

His voice, diminished over the last ten years or so, will be missed.

Pat Buchanan retires as GOP increasingly channels his 'America first' themes

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...an-retires-gop

by W. James Antle III, Politics Editor |

January 24, 2023 06:50 AM

As Republicans struggle through a rocky transition from being the party of business to that of the working class, a conservative pundit whose own trajectory anticipated that transformation 30 years ago is hanging up his pen.

Pat Buchanan has retired from his syndicated column ahead of a presidential election that will test the staying power of a more populist and nationalist conservatism and after a midterm election cycle that demonstrated its growing pains.

In addition to his decades of commentary, Buchanan advised Presidents Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan as they integrated the “silent majority” into the GOP. He ran for the office three times himself, on a platform similar to the one former President Donald Trump was elected on in 2016.

“What America first means is we put the national interests of the United States and the well-being of our own country and our own people first. Our foreign policy, first and foremost, should be focused on the defense of American freedom, security, and rights,” Buchanan told NPR two days after Trump took office.

It was a phrase widely seen as considered discredited by World War II that Buchanan had been using as far back as his 1990 National Interest essay “America First — and Second, and Third.”

Originally a Cold War hawk and free trade proponent, Buchanan began to espouse a less interventionist foreign policy after the Soviet Union disintegrated and trade policies designed to protect the U.S. industrial base. He rejected the 1990s bipartisan consensus in favor of economic opening with China, dismissing then-General Secretary Deng Xiaoping as a “chain-smoking communist dwarf.”

“[Alexander] Hamilton created the ‘American System’ to end our reliance on England and Europe, because he and Washington believed economic independence was necessary for political independence,” Buchanan wrote. “If we did not depend on Europe, they knew, we could stay out of Europe’s wars. Is all that Made-in-China junk at the mall worth the loss of our economic independence?”

“The looting of America for the benefit of foreign regimes ends the day I take office,” read a campaign brochure during Buchanan’s 1996 bid for the Republican nomination. “If we cannot balance our own budget, what are we doing sending billions of tax dollars overseas to balance the budgets of foreign governments?”

That wasn’t the only area where Buchanan foreshadowed Trump’s appeal.

“We need a sea wall to stop the tidal wave of illegal immigration and narcotics sweeping over our southern border,” read the Buchanan campaign brochure. “We need a ‘time out’ on legal immigration — to assimilate and Americanize the millions who have come in recent decades.”

Long before Buchanan began sounding different from a Chamber of Commerce Republican on trade, immigration or foreign policy, he was writing speeches for Spiro Agnew and memos nudging GOP presidents to disaffected blue-collar Democrats.

“They don’t read Adam Smith or Edmund Burke, but they come from the same schoolyards and the same playgrounds and towns as we come from,” Buchanan would say of such voters in his “culture war” speech at the 1992 Republican National Convention. “They share our beliefs and convictions, our hopes and our dreams. They are the conservatives of the heart.”

“Our resolve is to put America First, to make America First again, and to keep America First,” Buchanan wrote during that campaign against President George H.W. Bush. “For 50 years, we have liberated, defended, and aided nations all over the world. It was the right and just thing to do. But, now, we must begin to look out for the forgotten Americans right here in the United States.”

Politico called Trump “Pat Buchanan with better timing.” The New York Times dubbed Buchanan “the man who won the Republican Party before Trump did.” Five days after Trump’s inauguration, New York Magazine printed the headline, “Welcome to the Pat Buchanan administration.”

But the two men briefly squared off for the Reform Party’s presidential nomination ahead of the 2000 election. It was during that campaign that Trump took many of the positions that made Republicans doubt his conservative credentials, especially on social issues. Trump dropped out of the race. Buchanan won the nomination but took just 0.4% of the vote to finish a distant fourth place in the general election.

Almost a quarter of a century later, the Republican Party looks considerably more Buchananite than like the winner of that election, former President George W. Bush. There is an America First Caucus in the GOP-controlled House.

“While many older Republican leaders remain wedded to a Bush foreign policy, some of the prospective leaders of the party seem to be adopting their own versions of ‘America First,’” Buchanan wrote in 2021.

“We’ve turned the Republicans into a working-class party” is how former Trump White House chief strategist Steve Bannon put it in 2019.

Still, the midterm results demonstrated that the party is a long way from the 49-state landslides of Nixon and Reagan. Republicans are debating a realignment toward the more thoroughgoing social conservatism of Buchanan or the more secular Trump, who appears conflicted about his contribution to reversing Roe v. Wade.

The final chapter of this story has yet to be written. But at 84, one of its primary authors is signing off.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I always liked PJB.

However, I think that he was too comfortable as the token "fringe" in the mainstream system.

I assume that it was easier and more profitable to do it his way than too slug it out for little/no money like all of the rest of the alternative news people.....the ones that aren't coopted, that is.

A few years ago, Pat was on Coast to Coast AM with Noory. It was a great show and I've always thought that if one wanted to spread a message, that might be a better way to go.

But, if the goal is to sell books, alternative routes are probably not the best.

I will miss Pat.

This, is my favorite clip, which perhaps shows Pat's mind being expanded.

Note: I'm finding it harder and harder to find this clip on youtube.

Oh, and regarding the original posted article, I find little evidence that shows that the R gang is employing anything remotely "America First"

US escalation into Ukraine will be spearheaded by the R's.

Thank the R's when you see (or feel) that bright flash on the horizon coming soon to a city near you.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

The best President we should have had and probably were cheated out of.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Congratulations to Pat B on his retirement

Pretty decent man in a field of lesser

Just last week I was wondering why Pat hasn't written since December. I would read his essays on Antiwar.com which would republish those dealing with foreign policy which he wrote on Buchanan.org. If he has health problems, I'm hoping for the best.

Pat was the first political commentator, and later politician himself, that I truly respected, along with Reagan himself, but even more so.
    I started watching the McLaughlin Group in 1985 because my high school teacher would take us to the library to watch McLaughlin Group every Friday.

I supported the Buchanan Brigade in the early 90s and voted for Pat whenever I could. When he won New Hampshire that was a big deal, but then the Deep State machine and the Bush machine ultimately derailed him. It sure felt good to vote for him in 2000 when he was on the general election ticket for the Reform Party, having been persuaded to take the helm after its lack of direction post-Perot.
    Last edited by Snowball; 01-25-2023 at 12:04 PM.
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Most people take great delight when proven right. He is probably one of the few who doesn't relish living long enough to see his predictions unfold.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Most people take great delight when proven right. He is probably one of the few who doesn't relish living long enough to see his predictions unfold.
    The subtitle to Suicide of a Superpower, is... "Will America Last to 2025?"
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

It might have been a blessing in disguise for Ron to never win. That job could have been the end of him.

Certainly easier to run the mouth than to “govern”