Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Beck died

Jeff Beck died

Damn it!

Jeff Beck, Guitarist With a Chapter in Rock History, Dies at 78

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...k-dies-aged-78

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Are there any really good guitar players left? Michael Schenker is the only one that comes to mind.
    "The Patriarch"

When his old friend Eric Clapton showed him his collection of Ferraris, an unimpressed Beck commented: “Anyone can buy those.” Then he indicated the hot rod he'd driven over in. “These, you make.”

And I have to paraphrase a Clapton quote about Beck, because I can't recall the exact phrasing ... "imagine how good a guitarist he'd be if he didn't spend so much time on his cars"

RIP Beck . Just saw him maybe tree monts ago.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Are there any really good guitar players left? Michael Schenker is the only one that comes to mind.

I can think of a few but yeah, we have lost a lot of greats recently.

ETA: Just off the top of my head, we’ve still got;

Jimmy Page
    Neal Schon
    Alex Lifeson
    Brian May
    Steve Vai
    John Petrucci
    Paul Gilbert
    Joe Satriani
    Vito Bratta
    Nuno Bettencourt
    Zak Wylde
    Kirk Hammett
    Reb Beach
    Warren DeMartini
    George Lynch
    Brad Gillis
    Mark Knopfler
    Pete Townsend
    Carlos Santana
    Pat Metheney
    David Gilmour
    Ritchie Blackmore
    Isn’t Clapton still alive?

Wow. A lot more than I initially thought. There are probably more I’m forgetting too.
    Last edited by CCTelander; 01-12-2023 at 07:09 PM.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Over Under Sideways Down is on now here. A track From my 8 track days.
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

RIP Jeff. My ring tone is Layla.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

RIP.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    When his old friend Eric Clapton showed him his collection of Ferraris, an unimpressed Beck commented: “Anyone can buy those.” Then he indicated the hot rod he'd driven over in. “These, you make.”

And I have to paraphrase a Clapton quote about Beck, because I can't recall the exact phrasing ... "imagine how good a guitarist he'd be if he didn't spend so much time on his cars"

Someone I used to know was a sprint car driver, and had his car on a trailer at a gas station. Some guy came up to him to ask about the car, they were talking race cars, and he was talking about the cars he had. At the end, they exchanged info, and the other guy was Jeff Beck.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

RIP
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post

Jimmy Page
    Neal Schon
    Alex Lifeson
    Brian May
    Steve Vai
    John Petrucci
    Paul Gilbert
    Joe Satriani
    Vito Bratta
    Nuno Bettencourt
    Zak Wylde
    Kirk Hammett
    Reb Beach
    Warren DeMartini
    George Lynch
    Brad Gillis
    Mark Knopfler
    Pete Townsend
    Carlos Santana
    Pat Metheney
    David Gilmour
    Ritchie Blackmore

Wow. A lot more than I initially thought. There are probably more I’m forgetting too.
    For pure technical proficiency one of the best ever, still alive and well and touring.

Eric Johnson.

I missed a chance to see Rush and then Neal died.

See these bands and players when you can, because when they are gone, there are going to be no more.

Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    RIP Jeff. My ring tone is Layla.
    I apologize, I told you wrong.

It was Duane Allman leading on Layla, not Jeff Beck.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Kirk Hammett

We've talked about Metallica and I don't recall you being a fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Wait, Duane Allman was leading on Layla?? How did I not know this??

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    Yup, tis true.

Layla was not soley Clapton's: it was a one hit wonder from a short lived supergroup called Derek and the Domnioes.

Duane Allman played lead and slide guitar on Layla.

Mrs. AF and I were talking about this and I told her it was Beck on Layla, which was a mistake on my part.

Did you know the Stevie Wonder hit "Superstition" was originally written by Jeff Beck?

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 01-13-2023 at 10:47 AM.

Yup, tis true.

Layla was not soley Clapton's: it was a one hit wonder from a short lived supergroup called Derek and the Domnioes.

Duane Allman played lead and slide guitar on Layla.
    Yep, I knew it was Derek and the Dominoes, but somehow Allman's involvement evaded me...

Thanks for the info, that's awesome!

Yep, the signature riff was created by Allman. I was a little disappointed when I found that out. If it had just been a Clapton song, it would have been more like Clapton’s acoustic version.

For pure technical proficiency one of the best ever, still alive and well and touring.

Eric Johnson.

See these bands and players when you can, because when they are gone, there are going to be no more.

Can't argue with you there. Eric Johnson is definitely one of the greats. Can't believe I forgot him.

A few others I forgot:

Billy Gibbons
    Mick Mars
    Jon Sykes
    Vivian Campbell
    Jake E. Lee
    Keith Richards is still alive ?!?!
    Yngwie Malmsteen

And I'm still probably forgetting some.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

We've talked about Metallica and I don't recall you being a fan?

Oh yeah. Love their music. Was just not all that enamored with them as people for a while there.
    Chris

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can't argue with you there. Eric Johnson is definitely one of the greats. Can't believe I forgot him.

A few others I forgot:

Billy Gibbons
    Mick Mars
    Jon Sykes
    Vivian Campbell
    Jake E. Lee
    Keith Richards is still alive ?!?!
    Yngwie Malmsteen

And I'm still probably forgetting some.
    Those are classics. Sykes is great, and Whitesnake would have never had the popularity they had without him. He is is the one on that list I never saw live.

Eric Johnson.

I saw Eric Johnson open for Satriani. His sound was far better than Satriani, who was a bit distorted, probably due to excess volume. I met Joe that night...

Yep, see them while you can. Saw several classics on their final tours before they passed. Neil Peart was always awesome.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 01-13-2023 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Those are classics. Sykes is great, and Whitesnake would have never had the popularity they had without him. He is is the one on that list I never saw live.

Couldn't agree more. Sykes is a monster. Still of the Night is one of the most epic guitar riffs of all time. I never got to see them either. On the other hand, I DID get to see Van Halen Every tour from 1979 to 1984, so I at least have that!
    Chris

Ted Nugent
    Gary Moore
    Chris

Jimmy Page
    Neal Schon
    Alex Lifeson
    Brian May
    Steve Vai
    John Petrucci
    Paul Gilbert
    Joe Satriani
    Vito Bratta
    Nuno Bettencourt
    Zak Wylde
    Kirk Hammett
    Reb Beach
    Warren DeMartini
    George Lynch
    Brad Gillis
    Mark Knopfler
    Pete Townsend
    Carlos Santana
    Pat Metheney
    David Gilmour
    Ritchie Blackmore

Frank Marino is still on the right side of the dirt but he's not playing anymore.

Unrelated to Jeff Beck...and I may have posted this before....but it is too good not to repost even if I did.

@tod evans

I think I am in love...such a beauty performing such a stunning little run of a melody.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast