Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Speaker of the House for 118th US Congress

How fitting that McCarthy becomes Speaker on the anniversary of J6. It's almost like there's some symbolism there.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    https://twitter.com/SteveInmanUIC/st...50695777902593
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    They got everything they asked for. I don't see why McCarthy had to be an ass and force 15 votes. All he did was make himself and the party appear weak.
    Appear?

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    It looks like the fight and negotiations yielded positive results.

Tweeted by Anna Paulina Luna:

Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So Imagine the Republican Congress has one item bills that are 6 pages long. Liberals will complain they only have 72 hours to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    How fitting that McCarthy becomes Speaker on the anniversary of J6. It's almost like there's some symbolism there.
    Well, at least we don't have to continually look at Pelosi.
    There is no spoon.

It's still so bizarre to me how fully grown adults can put so much emotion into a fcking politician. Honestly, it's embarrassing.

I admire Ron Paul as much as anyone who I don't personally know, but even I was wary of Ron Paul the politician. It seems these people would gladly turn their children over to these sociopaths.

So icky...

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    It's still so bizarre to me how fully grown adults can put so much emotion into a fcking politician. Honestly, it's embarrassing.

I admire Ron Paul as much as anyone who I don't personally know, but even I was wary of Ron Paul the politician. It seems these people would gladly turn their children over to these sociopaths.

So icky...
    Cults of personality.

It becomes more common as a nation crumbles into tyranny and despotism.

Things get so bad, the people start to apply godhead images onto political "leaders"...anything to save them from the wretched conditions they themselves have created all around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post

A "Church" style Committee?
    I remember the last one,, and people still think MKultra is a joke conspiracy theory.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Why? One of two reasons, right off the top of my head:

(1) Hakeem Jeffries 2024, or
    (2) Hakeem Jeffries 2028

Which one depends on the strength of Biden's handlers as a faction of the uniparty, and how well they can manage to cling to power.

On second thought, though, Jeffries isn't a senator or a governor, and those seem to be the preferred stock ponds for POTUS grooming, so maybe not. They may just be keeping him warm on the back burner for the next "historic" house speakership.
    Of course. I don't even understand why he had a chance to say anything at all, let alone a long partisan speech full of lies. He was not the current or former speaker. He is the minority leader.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    They got everything they asked for. I don't see why McCarthy had to be an ass and force 15 votes. All he did was make himself and the party appear weak.
    McCarthy and his cronies weren't going to give up an inch of their consolidated power unless they were forced to. The failed votes forced him to.

It took longer than necessary because of that horse's ass Mike Rogers, who continually threatened the hold outs. Perhaps he was (happily) playing his part as establishment attack dog, but it was completely counter-productive, and make it last a lot longer, with a lot more animosity than it needed to have.

https://twitter.com/USAB4L/status/1611804665225560066
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 01-07-2023 at 01:36 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

"The Patriarch"

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    I was hoping to see a caning before it was over.

So close, maybe. If only ...

FTA: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rog...ost-his-temper

"Mike Rogers lost his temper and was basically going to, you know, put his hands on Matt," Greene said. "And it was actually Richard Hudson — grabbed Mike Rogers from behind and pulled him away."

The congresswoman added, "So yeah, that was completely out of line. And then I'm sure it'll be dealt with."

Rep. Tim Burchett of Tennessee had a different take.

"I'm honestly – I'm not going to be threatened by anybody, and if somebody puts their hands on me, I will drop them like a bag of dirt," Burchett told reporters early Saturday. "I really will, man. That is not – I am not one to back down from a fight."

https://www.twitter.com/JesseKellyDC...72378572365826

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    He wants more tax payers money..

"Sir, this is a house of representatives."

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post

I'm guessing single-subject bills will never happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    "Sir, this is a house of representatives."
    [spit_take.gif]

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to A Son of Liberty again.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Cults of personality.

It becomes more common as a nation crumbles into tyranny and despotism.

Things get so bad, the people start to apply godhead images onto political "leaders"...anything to save them from the wretched conditions they themselves have created all around them.

Psychologically broken and in a culture stuck in public schools and cubicles, lacking strong parental figures, people need heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    A "Church" style Committee?
    I remember the last one,, and people still think MKultra is a joke conspiracy theory.
    I agree, but now we own the information dissemination technology. Then it was newspapers and 3 networks right? Now we can share the literal documents in seconds across the world, instead of microfiche, xerox, pamphlets, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jbnevin View Post
    Psychologically broken and in a culture stuck in public schools and cubicles, lacking strong parental figures, people need heroes.
    Yup, all that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    or a two trillion dollar bill they voted for without reading
    Do something Danke

Dayum! Love me some Justin Amash.

If you asked Kevin McCarthy about a piece of legislation, he would not really know much about it. He's not that guy, he doesn't care, he's not an intellectually curious person. I don't think he's that bright, honestly. I mean, no offense to him, but he's not a particularly bright person."
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    I agree. It might keep bills down to less than 1000 pages, but probably not. It is a great idea though.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's worth thanking Chip Roy for working out most of the reforms. He is the one who seems most serious about actually trying to make Congress work better, who also happens to have the intellectual capacity to do so. He's no Amash but might be the closest we've got to carrying his torch in that regard.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    I'm guessing everything on that list will never happen.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast