Thread: John Bolton wants to give advice to the GOP

John Bolton wants to give advice to the GOP

Nothing like bringing out a washed up neocon to tell the GOP that fresh faces are needed: (snipped so it's not a whole copy-pasta article)
    John Bolton, former national security adviser to Donald Trump, has described the former US president’s act as “old and tired” and said the Republican party is ready to move on to a “fresh face”.
    Bolton is the latest ex-White House official to condemn Trump after Republicans underperformed in this month’s midterm elections, which added to a losing streak that convinced some he is now hurting rather than helping the party.
    “There are a lot of reasons to be against Trump being the nominee but the one I’m hearing now as I call around the country, talking to my supporters and others about what happened on 8 November, is the number of people who have just switched Trump off in their brain,” Bolton told the Guardian.
    “Even if they loved his style, loved his approach, loved his policies, loved everything about him, they don’t want to lose and the fear is, given the results on 8 November, that if he got the nomination, not only would he lose the general election, but he would take an awful lot of Republican candidates down with him.”
    Now 74, Bolton served as US ambassador to the UN under President George W Bush in 2005-06 and was a staunch advocate of the Iraq war. He became Trump’s national security adviser in 2018 only to be fired the following year, then wrote a scathing memoir that declared the president incompetent and unfit for office. [LOL]
    He now joins Trump’s vice-president Mike Pence, secretary of state Mike Pompeo, attorney general William Barr, UN ambassador Nikki Haley, chief of staff Mick Mulvaney and onetime ally Chris Christie in a growing rebellion among alumni making the case – overtly or subtly – that Trump has become an electoral liability. [ah, a rebellion, yes, the neocons are the underdogs!!!]
    They point out that Republicans lost the House of Representatives in 2018, the presidency and Senate in 2020 and the Senate again in 2022, while gaining a smaller-than-expected majority in the House. Paul Ryan, the most recent Republican speaker of the House, blamed the Trump factor, telling ABC News’s This Week with George Stephanopoulos: “I think it’s palpable right now. We get past Trump, we start winning elections. We stick with Trump, we keep losing elections.”
    [That's certainly the prevailing narrative]
    Bolton said he has conducted his own polling that shows Trump’s base within the party has been declining slowly but steadily for two years.
    [and surely if there's a poll you can rely on, it's one that Bolton and Friends conducted]
    DeSantis has “had a very successful run as governor of Florida”, he said. “He won re-election on 8 November with a big majority. A lot of people look to him as the next generation candidate. That’s one of Trump’s biggest problems – his act is old and tired now.”

But Bolton, who has his own Pac and Super Pac to raise funds for Republicans, insisted he was not yet throwing his weight behind any 2024 contenders. “I would certainly be available and happy to talk to any of the candidates that wanted to talk about foreign policy and happy to help me make them all be better prepared to be the nominee.”

The next primary could also expose and exacerbate a foreign policy split in the Republican party between an interventionist wing, personified by Bolton and Liz Cheney, and “America first” isolationism embodied by Trump and Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene, who has called for a halt to funding Ukraine’s fight against Russia.

Bolton, founder of the Foundation for American Security and Freedom, commented: “Within the party as a whole, support for the Ukrainian government and people are overwhelming. I do plan to spend some time in the next two years working against what I would call the virus of isolationism within the Republican party to make sure it does not become a serious force.”

(you see, we just need to put the fresh faces of the war hawks back in office, because if there's one thing we haven't tried yet, it's being the policeman of the world!)
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ed-john-bolton
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 11-29-2022 at 09:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As much of a scumbag as Bolton is, he unfortunately is 100% correct that the GOP will keep losing elections as long as Trump is in the spotlight. Then again, the GOP in general no longer cares about winning elections anyway since they want to go back to nominating unelectable people like McCain and Romney.
    Last edited by Anti Globalist; 11-29-2022 at 08:27 PM.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Bolton We got Bomb Somebody in Iran... <Bolton's likely advice.

Kari Lake of AZ is a perfect example of how new, articulate, compassionate, faces in the GOP can win!

I think it has become blatantly obvious that the candidates are not relevant when determining the victor of an election.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged View Post
    Kari Lake of AZ is a perfect example of how new, articulate, compassionate, faces in the GOP can win!
    I agree, but Bolton is speaking more of the traditional deep bench that the neocons have nurtured and promoted for the past 50 years. Dan Quayle is a little too old, but there is always Nikki Haley and Mike Pompeo, maybe Tom Cotton or Mike Pence if those don't work out.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.