Thread: J.R.R Tolkien Was A Libertarian

J.R.R Tolkien Was A Libertarian

I am a new self-publishing author who just began a Kickstarter for my first book titled "The Road Goes Ever On and On A New Perspective on J. R. R. Tolkien and Middle-earth." Kickstarter supporters receive special perks such as sighed copies, early access, reduced price, stunning artwork, etc Please check out the link if you are interested in supporting an Indie author.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...=project_build

While I cover many subjects, the book focuses on how Tolkien's political, religious, and environmental views affected his mythology. One theme that runs through the entire book is Tolkien's libertarian views.

Blurb

J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle-earth has captured the imaginations of millions of readers around the world for generations. He is considered the father of modern fantasy, but few understand how Tolkien’s worldview impacted his mythology. The Road Goes Ever On and On is the first book of its kind to place Tolkien within his proper context, giving the reader a deeper understanding of Tolkien and Middle-earth. Smith takes us on a quest through a wide range of Tolkien’s writings to unlock Tolkien’s perspective—a perspective that, like the elves who have sailed into the West leaving Middle-earth, has faded away from our world.

You will gain an in-depth knowledge of Tolkien’s views on politics, environmentalism, religion, and much more. From the Valar to Hobbits, the free peoples closely follow Tolkien’s sentiments. In contrast, forces under the Shadow represent what Tolkien believed was immoral. Covering a wide range of topics, The Road Goes Ever On and On is filled with breathtaking illustrations bringing Middle-earth to life like never before, making this the ‘one book to rule them all.’

Praise for the Road Goes Ever On and On!

Engrossing...Tolkien’s principles—patriotism, Medievalism, localism, Catholicism—are certainly out of fashion today. And yet they’re the foundation for all his books, which have sold hundreds of millions of copies. Mr. Smith does a wonderful job of explaining why modern readers are so enthralled by Tolkien’s reactionary vision. Whether you’re a casual Lord of the Rings fan or a serious Tolkien scholar, every page of Mr. Smith’s book will delight and fascinate. And if anyone ever tells you that fairy-tales are only for children, hand him this book. Tolkien ought to be regarded as one of the great social critics of our time, as Mr. Smith so masterfully demonstrates.
    -Michael Warren Davis is an editor for Sophia Institute Press and the author of The Reactionary Mind: Why Conservative Isn’t Enough. You can find him on his blog, The Common Man.

As the popularity of Tolkien’s work continues to endure, the importance of Jeb Smith’s work continues to grow. This is because of a prolonged siege against Tolkien’s work: the attempt to dislodge it from its Christian and Biblical foundations. Jeb Smith’s insights are immensely helpful to this and future generations of Tolkien admirers.
    -Scott L. Smith, author of Lord of the Rings and the Eucharist

This work is one of the best philosophical works that I have read in a long time as an editor. The author is mild in communicating his views, and his arguments are wholistically posed as a question for reflection. The author is endowed with a strong expressive and creative writing style, and his tone is less offensive to the reader, particularly those who may not subscribe to his viewpoints…This book exhibits balanced artistry of suspense and objective arguments and put the author in the great league of libertarian philosophers alike. With a strong message of practicing true liberty, the need to reject ideologies crippling society, the importance of the church, and the need to give back some extent of autonomy (liberty) to the population…
    Freelance editor Doris_foster

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There has been much written and presented about Tolkien's viewpoints and message. Probably the best book I've read about this is by Peter Kreeft.
    It's on this list: https://brandonvogt.com/tolkien-cath...67590332031250

It would not be correct to label J.R.R. as a "libertarian", however.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"If you don't believe the modern mantra of change is good, technology is great and we must all embrace the future or get left behind, you've got company with a certain nature-loving, progress-hating British contrarian. In 1944, Tolkien wrote to his son Christopher, "How I wish the 'infernal combustion' engine had never been invented!" The contrast between Bilbo's verdant Shire and the desolation of Smaug's mountain has hatched countless ecological warriors."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...obbit/1635637/
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    There has been much written and presented about Tolkien's viewpoints and message. Probably the best book I've read about this is by Peter Kreeft.
    It's on this list: https://brandonvogt.com/tolkien-cath...67590332031250

It would not be correct to label J.R.R. as a "libertarian", however.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"If you don't believe the modern mantra of change is good, technology is great and we must all embrace the future or get left behind, you've got company with a certain nature-loving, progress-hating British contrarian. In 1944, Tolkien wrote to his son Christopher, "How I wish the 'infernal combustion' engine had never been invented!" The contrast between Bilbo's verdant Shire and the desolation of Smaug's mountain has hatched countless ecological warriors."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...obbit/1635637/

There are some great books on that list, I qoute from some of them in my book!!!

I agree that a strict label of libertarian does not apply. But to say he was in line with libertarianism more then any other American political party would be. I describe him in my book as a Catholic libertarian feudal monarchist, or an anarcho-monarchist.

I would note that there have been many whose works have expressed a bent to Freemen and autodiathism.

What I don't understand is how it can be that people such as Joss Wheadon (Firefly/Serenity) could express such clear ideals as those of what I have labeled the "Principles of Proper Human Relations", yet in their everyday lives wax all stupid-lefty. Honest to God, it makes the least sense to me, especially considering the ways in which such people behave like spoile, tantrum-pitching toddlers in virtually every avenue of their lives. They rant on and on, as we are all too familiar, about their masturbatory fantasies of collectivist utopia, yet produce films, for example, that espouse all the virtues of real liberty, vis-à-vis the pretty slavery that most people conflate with actual freedom.

Such people are so utterly intransigent in virtually everything they believe, yet will produce films and other works that run wildly against everything they claim to hold dear as values. This would make sense, were those expressions sarcastically offered with the idea that they be mocked and reviled. But that is not the case. And the expressions are not superficial; one can readily see a deep truth in what has been formulated and set forth. So how is it that given these very fine contrivances of storylines that those responsible are such utterly retarded dicks in every other aspect of life? It is so self-contradictory as to leave my mind rebelling at it. One would think that such beating, flailing sorts would never put out anything that would suggest anything like responsibility for one's actions and feelings, much less the ideas of property, rights, and all the other great virtues and costs of liberty.

To my eyes, putting such work out in the ways that I have seen is precisely giving credibility to that which the authors and architects claim to hate with the most bitter venom. One would think not only that they would not produce such work, but would confine themselves to promoting through the telling of tales the great virtues of communism to the exclusion of all else. One would also expect that such infantile humans would not even have a grasp of the realities of freedom, yet some of them have demonstrated a clear grasp. Are those examples mere happenstance? How could it be? It appears statistically just this side of impossible for that many disparate elements of that which is violently hated by a man could haphazardly come in the same work, much less so with the correct structuring of elements relative to each other.

So what is the story there? How would a screaming weasel like Wheadon vomit forth work that drips of the Freeman while simultaneously exposing the Weakman and Tyrant for what they are in the most non-equivocating terms? I'd ask whether I've gone insane, but we all know that that horse bolted the stable long ago.

My relevant point here is that even though Tolkien concocted his Middle Earth, does it follow that he was a proponent of actual liberty, given what I mention above? I don't know since I'm not a Tolkien fan. I read The Hobbit and it was OK, but to be honest it didn't really float my boat. Did Tolkien's outer manifestations of work really reflect his inner state? I'm asking as a matter of my ignorance of the man.

Happy Thanksgiving, God bless freedom, and Mors Tyrannis.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    I would note that there have been many whose works have expressed a bent to Freemen and autodiathism.

What I don't understand is how it can be that people such as Joss Wheadon (Firefly/Serenity) could express such clear ideals as those of what I have labeled the "Principles of Proper Human Relations", yet in their everyday lives wax all stupid-lefty. Honest to God, it makes the least sense to me, especially considering the ways in which such people behave like spoile, tantrum-pitching toddlers in virtually every avenue of their lives. They rant on and on, as we are all too familiar, about their masturbatory fantasies of collectivist utopia, yet produce films, for example, that espouse all the virtues of real liberty, vis-à-vis the pretty slavery that most people conflate with actual freedom.

Such people are so utterly intransigent in virtually everything they believe, yet will produce films and other works that run wildly against everything they claim to hold dear as values. This would make sense, were those expressions sarcastically offered with the idea that they be mocked and reviled. But that is not the case. And the expressions are not superficial; one can readily see a deep truth in what has been formulated and set forth. So how is it that given these very fine contrivances of storylines that those responsible are such utterly retarded dicks in every other aspect of life? It is so self-contradictory as to leave my mind rebelling at it. One would think that such beating, flailing sorts would never put out anything that would suggest anything like responsibility for one's actions and feelings, much less the ideas of property, rights, and all the other great virtues and costs of liberty.

To my eyes, putting such work out in the ways that I have seen is precisely giving credibility to that which the authors and architects claim to hate with the most bitter venom. One would think not only that they would not produce such work, but would confine themselves to promoting through the telling of tales the great virtues of communism to the exclusion of all else. One would also expect that such infantile humans would not even have a grasp of the realities of freedom, yet some of them have demonstrated a clear grasp. Are those examples mere happenstance? How could it be? It appears statistically just this side of impossible for that many disparate elements of that which is violently hated by a man could haphazardly come in the same work, much less so with the correct structuring of elements relative to each other.

So what is the story there? How would a screaming weasel like Wheadon vomit forth work that drips of the Freeman while simultaneously exposing the Weakman and Tyrant for what they are in the most non-equivocating terms? I'd ask whether I've gone insane, but we all know that that horse bolted the stable long ago.

My relevant point here is that even though Tolkien concocted his Middle Earth, does it follow that he was a proponent of actual liberty, given what I mention above? I don't know since I'm not a Tolkien fan. I read The Hobbit and it was OK, but to be honest it didn't really float my boat. Did Tolkien's outer manifestations of work really reflect his inner state? I'm asking as a matter of my ignorance of the man.

Happy Thanksgiving, God bless freedom, and Mors Tyrannis.
    Don't worry about your insanity; it means I am not alone!!!

Sorry for the delayed response, and thanks for your thoughts. A late happy thanksgiving to you as well.

As for Joss Wheadon (I loved firefly/serenity), I was also saddened when I discovered he was a leftist; his show gives off a definite libertarian vibe, which is why I loved it. I think your frustration derives from the modern education system. People are no longer taught to think logically, presuppositionally, or to form a consistent worldview. They are purposely trained to stop thinking and accept contradictory beliefs. Perhaps peer and media pressure also play a role.

Tolkien held one consistent worldview, and he was intentional about it. He belived his mythology was his autobiography. If you know Middle-earth, you know Tolkien. He was anti-political, thinking it was corrupting and unjust, so he was no activist. But he did create a world with contrasting political systems, and the "good guys" offered an anarcho-monarchist [he described himself both as a monarchist (of the pre-constitution Medieval sort- which I give a summary of) and an anarchist] pre-state society. At the same time, those under the shadow were totalitarian. His stories were mainly that, stories. But if one digs into his writings and myths, you can find more than enough to write about his politics.

The Hobbit was his one work that was "childish." The Lord of the rings and the Silmarillion certainly were not. They were intended for an adult audience. They contain far more political principles. Bilbo's adventure was more for fun, the others more serious. But even in the Hobbit, some political thoughts are laid out underneath the surface. I know of a book that talks a bit about them
    Last edited by Treebeard; 11-27-2022 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treebeard View Post
    Don't worry about your insanity; it means I am not alone!!!

Sorry for the delayed response, and thanks for your thoughts. A late happy thanksgiving to you as well.

Gracias.

I think your frustration derives from the modern education system.

Well yes, but more broadly stated, it stems from the basically ratty nature of the mean human being. I'd not characterize it as frustration, though; more like amusement carrying that hint of head-shaking disgust.

People are no longer taught to think logically,
    presuppositionally, or to form a consistent worldview. They are purposely trained to stop thinking and accept contradictory beliefs. Perhaps peer and media pressure also play a role.

A very well chosen term, and one I almost never see employed in the way you do so here. Excellent. It carries a host of implications that paint a picture of beings capable of doing for themselves in ways Theye dread in such hands. Powerful thought in the hands of the rabble is the one thing I believe that Theye fear above all things.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

[/COLOR]
    Gracias.

Well yes, but more broadly stated, it stems from the basically ratty nature of the mean human being. I'd not characterize it as frustration, though; more like amusement carrying that hint of head-shaking disgust.

[/COLOR]
    A very well chosen term, and one I almost never see employed in the way you do so here. Excellent. It carries a host of implications that paint a picture of beings capable of doing for themselves in ways Theye dread in such hands. Powerful thought in the hands of the rabble is the one thing I believe that Theye fear above all things.
    NY state public school teacher of the year John Gatto stated, "After a long life, and thirty years in the public school trenches, I've concluded that genius is as common as dirt. We suppress our genius only because we haven't yet figured out how to manage a population of educated men and women."

NY state public school teacher of the year John Gatto stated, "After a long life, and thirty years in the public school trenches, I've concluded that genius is as common as dirt. We suppress our genius only because we haven't yet figured out how to manage a population of educated men and women."
    Gatto was in his last year or two when I began teaching in the city. Longest two years of my life. By 86 I was on Wall Street.

Common as dirt? That depends on how one defines "genius". For some odd reason, my life has been graced with several genius or near-genius level intellects who always make me feel like the dumbest man in the room. Perhaps I am too big a snoot to accept that genius is common as Gatto claims. To me, real genius is rare as lips on chickens and usually comes with an eidetic memory. Lesser forms of genius I might call very common, but I consider those of secondary magnitude. Some of the people I have called friends are true geniuses and I can tell you that being so endowed is very much a mixed blessing. My friend Steve, for example, worked with Seymour Cray back in the bad old days of real computer science. He wrote the entire math libraries for the Crays all by himself. That, my pal, is no mean feat. My friend Dan wrote and entire screen handling library that AT&T used for years. I watched him write it in his basement from soup to nuts in about five hours one Friday evening, while stoned, I kid you not. He invented all manner of things before they became common items. My father's best friend from the old country was a fabulous intellect. His grandfather was Miksa Roth, a famous Hungarian glass artist. Zoli was a singular alcoholic whose capacities in my experience were eclipsed only by the mother of my daughters, and 88# Ukrainian woman who could put down a quart of vodka in short order and you'd never know she'd had a drop. I stayed with her as long as I did because she was so endlessly hot... and sick and twisted like me. One takes their love where it can be found.

One of my collleagues and teachers at CUNY, Bob Goldman, is a genius. I used to help him do mathematical proofs in software using Aura and ITP. I'd follow him down some very arcane mathematical rabbit hole, understanding perfectly until he'd hang a sudden left or right and I was instantly lost. I'd just smile and nod as if I knew what he was talking about. He was in high orbit around Jupiter. I was sucking the poo solutino from my neighbor's septic tank. Funny thing about him though, is he'd been married to one of the supermodels of the 70s... like Cheryl Tieg or someone like that, and he'd been an army ranger. He was no typical nerd. One Friday a brother from the local environs (Harlem) decided to rob one of the nice ladies from the Bursar's Office. As he was trying to pry her handbag away, out of nowhere Bob descended upon him and put him in a condition fit for the ER, which is where he ended up, in cuffs. We were all astonished that this nice Jewish boy from Riverdale was a badass mofo.

I find that far too many people conflate common creativity, which can be vastly powerful, with actual genius, which is a zebra of a very different stripe. And having eidetic memory doesn't guarantee the caliber of intellect to which I refer. I lost mine in 1992 when I contracted lyme disease and I was never even close to being a genius, sad to say.

But Gatto's positions on the nature of the school system are 100% on the money. Having been fool enough to have not quit on my third day as a teacher, the moment I'd twigged to the fact that I'd balled myself in the ass with the choice, I suffered through two years of the unspeakable criminality of American public schools. My friend jake retired just last year. He endured 37 years of that crap and all I can say is that I have to hand it to him for sheer fortitude. When I decided to carry a sidearm to school with me, I knew it was time to go, and I did.

Knowing what I know, the vastness of the $#@!èdness of the average American parent is perhaps more deeply apparent to me than to the average bear. To know what goes on in schools today, and yet still leave your children in the meat grinder... well, what can one say? That moral/intellectual septic tank has no bottom, and every such parent is living at it, sipping their artisan wines as their kids are functionally slaughtered and hacked up for the purposes of those whose interests to not coincide with those of the rest of the world. Those people can yak all they want about how they love their children. I know better.
    Last edited by osan; 11-27-2022 at 07:47 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Gatto was in his last year or two when I began teaching in the city. Longest two years of my life. By 86 I was on Wall Street.

Common as dirt? That depends on how one defines "genius". For some odd reason, my life has been graced with several genius or near-genius level intellects who always make me feel like the dumbest man in the room. Perhaps I am too big a snoot to accept that genius is common as Gatto claims. To me, real genius is rare as lips on chickens and usually comes with an eidetic memory. Lesser forms of genius I might call very common, but I consider those of secondary magnitude. Some of the people I have called friends are true geniuses and I can tell you that being so endowed is very much a mixed blessing. My friend Steve, for example, worked with Seymour Cray back in the bad old days of real computer science. He wrote the entire math libraries for the Crays all by himself. That, my pal, is no mean feat. My friend Dan wrote and entire screen handling library that AT&T used for years. I watched him write it in his basement from soup to nuts in about five hours one Friday evening, while stoned, I kid you not. He invented all manner of things before they became common items. My father's best friend from the old country was a fabulous intellect. His grandfather was Miksa Roth, a famous Hungarian glass artist. Zoli was a singular alcoholic whose capacities in my experience were eclipsed only by the mother of my daughters, and 88# Ukrainian woman who could put down a quart of vodka in short order and you'd never know she'd had a drop. I stayed with her as long as I did because she was so endlessly hot... and sick and twisted like me. One takes their love where it can be found.

One of my collleagues and teachers at CUNY, Bob Goldman, is a genius. I used to help him do mathematical proofs in software using Aura and ITP. I'd follow him down some very arcane mathematical rabbit hole, understanding perfectly until he'd hang a sudden left or right and I was instantly lost. I'd just smile and nod as if I knew what he was talking about. He was in high orbit around Jupiter. I was sucking the poo solutino from my neighbor's septic tank. Funny thing about him though, is he'd been married to one of the supermodels of the 70s... like Cheryl Tieg or someone like that, and he'd been an army ranger. He was no typical nerd. One Friday a brother from the local environs (Harlem) decided to rob one of the nice ladies from the Bursar's Office. As he was trying to pry her handbag away, out of nowhere Bob descended upon him and put him in a condition fit for the ER, which is where he ended up, in cuffs. We were all astonished that this nice Jewish boy from Riverdale was a badass mofo.

I find that far too many people conflate common creativity, which can be vastly powerful, with actual genius, which is a zebra of a very different stripe. And having eidetic memory doesn't guarantee the caliber of intellect to which I refer. I lost mine in 1992 when I contracted lyme disease and I was never even close to being a genius, sad to say.

But Gatto's positions on the nature of the school system are 100% on the money. Having been fool enough to have not quit on my third day as a teacher, the moment I'd twigged to the fact that I'd balled myself in the ass with the choice, I suffered through two years of the unspeakable criminality of American public schools. My friend jake retired just last year. He endured 37 years of that crap and all I can say is that I have to hand it to him for sheer fortitude. When I decided to carry a sidearm to school with me, I knew it was time to go, and I did.

Knowing what I know, the vastness of the $#@!èdness of the average American parent is perhaps more deeply apparent to me than to the average bear. To know what goes on in schools today, and yet still leave your children in the meat grinder... well, what can one say? That moral/intellectual septic tank has no bottom, and every such parent is living at it, sipping their artisan wines as their kids are functionally slaughtered and hacked up for the purposes of those whose interests to not coincide with those of the rest of the world. Those people can yak all they want about how they love their children. I know better.
    I agree with everything you have said. But I am sure Gatto was using a bit of hyperbole and also referring to potential rather then actual. I think he is saying properly educated, properly motivated, high school kids should not be struggling as they do. We do not develop the mind because of our corrupt system. And if our education system were different, many that fail would succeed.

I agree with everything you have said. But I am sure Gatto was using a bit of hyperbole and also referring to potential rather then actual.
    Even so I must politely disagree. Genius, I have noted, cannot be readily squelched. Kids who are geniuses are so blatantly so, only a true devil, whether parent or other, would take even the least action to suppress what they see. I have also noted that such children tend to be intransigently superior. They just go and do as their natures dictate, and the rest of the world can screw off. Therefore, the only way to stymie such people is to physically damage them, which is a big step beyond merely sending them to the meat grinder.

I think he is saying properly educated, properly motivated, high school kids should not be struggling as they do.
    If that is what he means, then that is what he should say. Language is ultimately important and devilishly tricky stuff. Precision in one's manner of expressing himself is of paramount salience, especially where serious matters are concerned.

We do not develop the mind because of our corrupt system.
    I might amend that a little by pointing out once more that the root cause here is the parent. They so casually and conveniently trust their children to the care of strangers. That's on them 100% in almost all cases.

And if our education system were different, many that fail would succeed.
    Perhaps, but it is not different. I direct all such parents to engage in the following exercise: take two hats, preferably of a stout form, as knitted caps for example will make the going far tougher. Now, $#@! into one hat and wish into the other. Which one fills up first? The school system is not going to improve any time soon, so get over the flaccid act of writing to congressmen, city council members, the Board, etc. because that is wishing in the other hat, and not a whit more.

I will go so far as to say that no matter what we do with public schools, they will never offer proper education to the young, so once again I must in all good conscience bid the parents of America to get the hell over it, themselves, and their corruptions as individuals... as parents, and do what is best for your children. If you don't know what is best, then go and find out. For Christ's sake, you are supposed to be the adults.

Even so I must politely disagree. Genius, I have noted, cannot be readily squelched. Kids who are geniuses are so blatantly so, only a true devil, whether parent or other, would take even the least action to suppress what they see. I have also noted that such children tend to be intransigently superior. They just go and do as their natures dictate, and the rest of the world can screw off. Therefore, the only way to stymie such people is to physically damage them, which is a big step beyond merely sending them to the meat grinder.

If that is what he means, then that is what he should say. Language is ultimately important and devilishly tricky stuff. Precision in one's manner of expressing himself is of paramount salience, especially where serious matters are concerned.

I might amend that a little by pointing out once more that the root cause here is the parent. They so casually and conveniently trust their children to the care of strangers. That's on them 100% in almost all cases.

Perhaps, but it is not different. I direct all such parents to engage in the following exercise: take two hats, preferably of a stout form, as knitted caps for example will make the going far tougher. Now, $#@! into one hat and wish into the other. Which one fills up first? The school system is not going to improve any time soon, so get over the flaccid act of writing to congressmen, city council members, the Board, etc. because that is wishing in the other hat, and not a whit more.

I will go so far as to say that no matter what we do with public schools, they will never offer proper education to the young, so once again I must in all good conscience bid the parents of America to get the hell over it, themselves, and their corruptions as individuals... as parents, and do what is best for your children. If you don't know what is best, then go and find out. For Christ's sake, you are supposed to be the adults.

Amen and Amen. Once more agree wholly with you on all points. Consequently, I don't have much to say at the moment.