Thread: Cops shoot, charge teen eating a burger in McDonald's parking lot

Cops shoot, charge teen eating a burger in McDonald's parking lot

SERVED. AND. PROTECTED.

NOT INTENTIONALLY MALEVOLENT

The kid was charged with assault (see the narrated video, below).

I wonder what the cop will be charged with. (LOL. No I don't.)

San Antonio police officer fired after shooting teen suspect in McDonald's parking lot
    The rookie cop initially said he was struck by the suspect's vehicle, but newly released body-cam footage suggests otherwise.
    https://www.sacurrent.com/news/san-a...g-lot-30019308
    Michael Karlis (05 October 2022)

A San Antonio police officer who shot and wounded a teenager Sunday in a McDonald's parking lot has been fired after newly released body-cam footage appeared to contradict the cop's initial report, MySA reports.

SAPD rookie James Brennand initially said he fired his weapon after the teen suspect struck him with his vehicle, according to police reports obtained by MySA. However, body-cam footage posted by the department appears the teen, who's recovering in hospital, never struck the officer.

SAPD announced Brennad's firing in a news release shared Wednesday, the news site reports.

Brennand, a probationary officer with seven months on the force, was at a McDonald's in the 11700 block of Blanco Road for an unrelated call when he thought he recognized a vehicle in the parking lot that allegedly evaded him during a pursuit the night before, according to MySA.

Brennand initially said in an incident report that he fired at the vehicle after he was struck by the driver who was trying to evade capture, the news site reports. However, raw body cam footage released by SAPD on Wednesday appears to contradict those claims.

As seen in the footage, the rookie officer approaches the car and opens the driver's side door, where he finds a teenager eating a burger. Brennand orders the youth out of the vehicle. The teenager puts his hands on the steering wheel and responds to the officer's request by asking, "Why?" A scuffle then ensues.

The teen driver, whose identity hasn't been made public [his name is Eric Cantu, according to the narrated video below - OB], puts his vehicle in reverse while the officer shoots five times. Brennand then radios "shots fired" before shooting at the car another five times.

In the clip, it doesn't appear that the vehicle ever struck Brennand.

The vehicle and its driver were later found down the road, and the victim was taken to University Hospital in critical condition, MySA reports.

Raw video:

San Antonio Police Department: Critical Incident Video Release 11700 Blanco
    Consistent with the Department's Critical Incident Video Release Procedure, San Antonio Police, today, released video from an officer-involved shooting that occurred on Sunday, October 2, 2022. Below is a brief synopsis of the critical incident:

At around 10:30 p.m. Sunday evening, an officer handling a disturbance at the McDonald’s at 11700 Blanco Road noticed a vehicle in the parking lot he believed had fled from him during an attempted stop the night before. The vehicle, which was not related to the disturbance call, was occupied by a male, 17-year-old driver driver, and a female passenger. The Officer abruptly opened the driver’s door and ordered the driver out of the car. The officer reported that he was hit by the open door as the driver started to reverse the vehicle. The officer then stepped back and opened fire on the vehicle as the driver continued to reverse away from him. The driver shifted the vehicle to drive and then turned away from the Officer to leave. The Officer shot several more times at the fleeing vehicle and then ran after the vehicle. The driver suffered multiple gunshot wounds. His passenger was uninjured.

San Antonio Police Chief William McManus has determined that the actions of the probationary officer during this critical incident were in violation of departmental tactics, training, and procedures. The Department's Shooting Team is finalizing its investigation and will forward its findings to the Bexar County District Attorney’s office for an independent investigation. As of this publication, the investigation remains ongoing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUr0vhSpj-0

Narrated version:

San Antonio Police Department: Critical Incident Video Release 11700 Blanco
    [see text description for previous RAW video (above)]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaEf668S5WQ
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 10-06-2022 at 12:25 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Only the best and the brightest.

So does this mean if the kid's car touched the cop the shooting would be justified?

again?

was he retarded this time too?
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    SAPD rookie James Brennand initially said he fired his weapon after the teen suspect struck him with his vehicle, according to police reports obtained by MySA. However, body-cam footage posted by the department appears the teen, who's recovering in hospital, never struck the officer.
    In the clip, it doesn't appear that the vehicle ever struck Brennand. [Really?]

The Officer abruptly opened the driver’s door and ordered the driver out of the car. The officer reported that he was hit by the open door as the driver started to reverse the vehicle.
    Not to defend the actions of the cop, but his description is accurate. We can see the video. Based on the camera angle involved, the door hit him. Did it injure him? Probably not.

Two take-aways:

- Standard case of respect my authoritay over-reaction by the cop. Fire him, he's not fit for the job.

- While the justice system may allow teens and criminals to get away with almost anything, a cop on the street is not the same thing. It seems like a teen who probably has gotten away with everything his whole life just found out there are some things that may be fatal. Even if he was driving a stolen car, there would have been no penalty. He would have been out the next morning. Instead, he has paid a far greater penalty than the justice system would have ever handed out. Darwin award candidate.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged View Post
    So does this mean if the kid's car touched the cop the shooting would be justified?
    No.

But the "they tried to run me over" excuse is tried and true. Works almost every time. They did it to a kid around the block from my house years ago. The vast majority of these cases never make the news.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    The kid was charged with assault (see the narrated video, below).

I wonder what the cop will be charged with. (LOL. No I don't.)
    The charges against Eric Cantu (the kid) have been dropped.(evading arrest and assaulting a police officer).

James Brennand (the cop) has been charged with two counts of aggravated assault.

San Antonio cop who shot teen boy, 17, while he was eating cheeseburger in McDonald's parking lot - leaving him on life support - is charged with two counts of aggravated assault

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Stuff like this is why it's so important to train yourself to remain calm in situations like this.

When you're taken by surprise, it might feel like you're getting attacked, robbed, or assaulted, and your first instinct may be to defend yourself but you have to fight that urge until you can properly assess whether or not the person attacking you is an Officer.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

I'm glad the Officer is OK, the exhaust fumes from the vehicle that was moving away from him could have gotten into his eyes.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Next time I go to the gun range, every time I shoot I'm just gonna start screaming into my radio "shots fired! shots fired!"
    - Kim Kardashian

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    Psychopath.
    For real.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

The safest person to shoot is one that is fleeing.