Thread: UT-Mittens Romney torpedoes Mike Lee, refuses to endorse him for Senate

UT-Mittens Romney torpedoes Mike Lee, refuses to endorse him for Senate

Mitt Romney’s Refusal to Endorse Mike Lee Infuriates Senate Republicans

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...nate-majority/

SEAN MORAN 29 Sep 2022

Sen. Mitt Romney’s (R-UT) decision not to endorse Sen. Mike Lee’s (R-UT) reelection bid has infuriated Senate Republicans and conservative activists.

Romney, Utah’s junior senator, has declined — and even refused — to endorse Lee’s reelection bid. Lee is the senior senator from Utah.

Senate Republicans are becoming increasingly alarmed by the decision, noting that even though Senate Republicans may have their differences on policy, they typically stand united against Republican opponents.

“I respect [Romney], and I understand that each state has its own dynamics, but I do not understand why he is remaining neutral,” one Republican senator said anonymously. “Whatever our differences, we all try to support each other around election time.”

Romney’s refusal to endorse Lee could boost his lead opponent during the Senate campaign, the Never Trumper and failed 2016 presidential candidate Evan McMullin. Romney’s move has put Senate Republicans on defense in a state that Lee should win handily.

“We should not have to be worried about Utah in any way. I don’t know what he thinks he’s doing, but it’s not going over well, particularly with the [senators] who are up for chairmanships,” another Senate Republican said.

Romney has claimed he could not endorse anyone in the race because he is friends with Lee and McMullin; however, as Mollie Hemingway of the Federalist, “it’s unclear why he thought his previously unannounced friendship with McMullin would be harmed by him supporting Republican incumbents and nominees, as all other Republicans do.”

Even the Washington Post‘s Henry Olsen rebuked Romney’s logic.

“That’s sweet, but party loyalty matters, too. It’s one thing to disagree within one’s own party; that’s what primaries are for. It’s another to say that one is going to stay out of a general election and essentially tell your own state’s voters that there’s no difference between your party’s nominee and someone backed by your party’s adversaries. If that’s friendship, Lee should start finding better friends,” Olsen wrote.

The Post also noted that Romney’s refusal to endorse Lee would serve as a “boon” for McMullin and make it “harder for Lee to consolidate the votes of moderate Republicans.”

This would allow for McMullin’s strategy to gain muster, which includes building a coalition of Democrats, independents, and Romney and his supporters, to take down the two-term Senate conservative.

Utah Democrats have endorsed McMullin’s bid to oust Lee even though he stated after the endorsement that he would not caucus with either Republicans or Democrats should he join ranks with Romney in the Senate.

Jessica Anderson, the president of the Heritage Action for America, said:

It is disappointing to see Senator Romney take a back seat in his in-state colleague’s race as Senator Mike Lee enjoys broad support from voters across Utah and the country. Conservatives should utilize every tool possible to take back the Senate, starting with supporting incumbent Senators in important races.

Romney’s decision to be Switzerland between his two friends, McMullin and Lee, has allowed McMullin to call Lee a “conman,” push “conspiracy theories” against Lee, and spread “disinformation” against Republicans.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nationwide this would probably help Lee honestly.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    That thought crossed my mind as well.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

That only matters if the nation donates money or does grassroots stuff for him.

But come on, we all know the real answer to "why" is that Romney isn't conservative and certainly isn't anything near libertarian conservative so he'd rather see a fellow liberal win than Lee. Does everyone forget that even the most "Republican" governors of Massachusetts are left of center?
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    The uni-party is desperately fighting against anyone non-globalist.

We can choose to fight, help those that fight or do nothing.

Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Mike Lee shouldn't even accept Romney's endorsement even if he did.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Is a Romney endorsement a + or - ?

I have 4 felonies and I don't want his "endorsement".

He stole more than I ever did.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    That thought crossed my mind as well.
    Oh, it'll help him within the state too. Breitbart is just trying to make it seem like someone--anyone--still gives a damn what Romney says or thinks.
    We believe our lying eyes...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Oh, it'll help him within the state too. Breitbart is just trying to make it seem like someone--anyone--still gives a damn what Romney says or thinks.
    Unfortunately, Mittens still has some pretty good sway in the Mormon community. I don't think it'll cost Lee the election, but don't underestimate Romney's influence.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

It's because McMullin is CIA and Mormon.

Blood is thicker than water.
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    It's because McMullin is CIA and Mormon.

Blood is thicker than water.
    McMuffin and Mittens are both neocon meat puppets.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Unfortunately, Mittens still has some pretty good sway in the Mormon community. I don't think it'll cost Lee the election, but don't underestimate Romney's influence.
    Yeah this. I was specifically thinking of Utah's Mormon voters and how much sway Mitt might have over them. Nationally though I don't think many folks care who Romney endorses (or doesn't endorse).
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.