Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FL-GA-AL-SC - Hurricane Ian Discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Massive storm surge in Ft. Myers Beach.

"And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand."

Observe.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It stinks here. Neighbors are all running generators that are way too rich and misfiring. It should be a quiet night with the windows open. Instead it smells like crap and we had to close the place back up or risk carbon monoxide poisoning.

I've got a power inverter hooked up to the car battery. No noise, no smell. It runs a few lights, charges devices and runs the TV if we want to. What more do you really need? This is Florida it's not cold. You won't die a few nights without AC in late September.
    Last edited by 69360; 09-29-2022 at 08:03 PM.

Hopefully my dad's ok. He's been living in Florida the past two years.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    It stinks here. Neighbors are all running generators that are way too rich and misfiring. It should be a quiet night with the windows open. Instead it smells like crap and we had to close the place back up or risk carbon monoxide poisoning.

I've got a power inverter hooked up to the car battery. No noise, no smell. It runs a few lights, charges devices and runs the TV if we want to. What more do you really need? This is Florida it's not cold. You won't die a few nights without AC in late September.
    Lead Acid is better than nothing at all,

I am hoping that this is both survivable and educational.

I did it with NO Power,,years ago.

with Andrew it was three days before I could get a message out to Carol,that I was still alive.. CNN reported me dead.

Georges,, aftermath, I was in my Mustang,,and passed the "inspection Crew" cleared 2 trees from the road and got Ice,,to some nice old folks,, I was younger then.

and the danger is always overblown.

Seaweed always has an odor.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Hopefully my dad's ok. He's been living in Florida the past two years.
    Is your dad a Gentleman Pirate? He may be Fine..

though this one is hitting Crackers most.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Any person that improves property in low lying flood prone areas should do so at their own risk and have insurance to pay for damages caused by their improvements being washed away.

“Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

I don't get it. Just saw a Generac ad. We fired up the generator and we were safe! From what? An evening without television?

Candles actually smell good. I have fond memories back to childhood of stormy nights of board games by candlelight.

I feel sorry for people who can't adapt, who are so hidebound they can't stand a quiet, out of the ordinary evening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    I don't get it. Just saw a Generac ad. We fired up the generator and we were safe! From what? An evening without television?

Candles actually smell good. I have fond memories back to childhood of stormy nights of board games by candlelight.

I feel sorry for people who can't adapt, who are so hidebound they can't stand a quiet, out of the ordinary evening.
    I've got oil lamps...scores of them of all shapes and sizes, including Aladdin mantle lamps that throw off about the same as 150 watt bulb and 5000 btu of heat.

But I've also got well water and three freezers stuffed with food.

For long term power outages everybody gets one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening of running hot water and utilities.

I spoke with a good friend of mine last night who lives in Cape Coral. She and her two boys rode out the storm at home. She lives in the north end of town about 5 miles from the shore. She was very fortunate that her house sits a little higher and the flood waters didn't reach her. But the destruction is like nothing she's ever witnessed, including Charlie. There is debris everywhere (including bodies, she said), trees down, cars and houses completely leveled, and just a state of utter devastation. Her boyfriend went out to survey the damage some yesterday and saw some looting going on. Prior to the storm, there were police everywhere telling people to leave, but yesterday, you couldn't find one.

They are being warned that it could be 6 weeks until power is restored. She lives in a gated community and is armed. She bought $1000 in food and water in preparation. She has a generator, but is only using it to charge phones and run the freezer trying to conserve fuel. Also has an inverter for the truck, if it comes to that. As of late last night, she could receive calls, but couldn't make any outbound calls. When I talked to her 24 hours after the worst had passed, her adrenaline was still pumping - grateful that it wasn't worse for her, but concerned about how long things will take. For those who stayed, this will have a generational impact.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I spoke with a good friend of mine last night who lives in Cape Coral. She and her two boys rode out the storm at home. She lives in the north end of town about 5 miles from the shore. She was very fortunate that her house sits a little higher and the flood waters didn't reach her. But the destruction is like nothing she's ever witnessed, including Charlie. There is debris everywhere (including bodies, she said), trees down, cars and houses completely leveled, and just a state of utter devastation. Her boyfriend went out to survey the damage some yesterday and saw some looting going on. Prior to the storm, there were police everywhere telling people to leave, but yesterday, you couldn't find one.

They are being warned that it could be 6 weeks until power is restored. She lives in a gated community and is armed. She bought $1000 in food and water in preparation. She has a generator, but is only using it to charge phones and run the freezer trying to conserve fuel. Also has an inverter for the truck, if it comes to that. As of late last night, she could receive calls, but couldn't make any outbound calls. When I talked to her 24 hours after the worst had passed, her adrenaline was still pumping - grateful that it wasn't worse for her, but concerned about how long things will take. For those who stayed, this will have a generational impact.
    That was right close to Landfall.. and the area did get Hammered. People survive Indoors..
    People die outside.. always a few Homeless who get caught without shelter,, or those who go out in it for whatever reason.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

We got our power back. I was honestly shocked. It looked bad to me, wires and poles were snapped and lying everywhere. 4 Bucket trucks rolled up and it was back on in a few hours. The street is lined with piles of branches but everyone has basically cleaned up and we got out of it ok.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We got our power back. I was honestly shocked. It looked bad to me, wires and poles were snapped and lying everywhere. 4 Bucket trucks rolled up and it was back on in a few hours. The street is lined with piles of branches but everyone has basically cleaned up and we got out of it ok.
    In time passed,,neighborhoods were cleared by residents,, before FEMA showed up,,and mucked it up.

Always a mess left behind.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Landfall Myrtle Beach,, Cat 1.

Storm surge is always worse against a Land Mass..
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    In time passed,,neighborhoods were cleared by residents,, before FEMA showed up,,and mucked it up.

Always a mess left behind.
    I got lucky and have all good neighbors. FEMA would get laughed at and run off our block.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post

You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Not a doubt in my mind winds hit 118 here. Power is restored where I am and roads are clear. As bad as it was no doubt it was nothing like what was happening south of me, Fort Myers and surrounding areas.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 10-01-2022 at 09:10 AM.

///
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 10-01-2022 at 08:48 AM.

How often does a 500 year storm occur?

I helped out with these guys right at the start, just after Katrina.

Amazing to see what they have grown into in less than twenty years.

Cajun Navy Assisting with Hurricane Ian Rescue Efforts in Florida

https://www.breitbart.com/weather/20...ts-in-florida/

ETHAN LETKEMAN 1 Oct 2022

The United Cajun Navy has made its way to southwestern Florida to assist with rescue efforts following the devastation of Hurricane Ian.

The group of volunteer first responders was formed after Hurricane Katrina and reactivated in 2016 during the Louisiana floods to help affected victims. Since then, the citizen-led group has led rescue efforts following natural disasters across the southern U.S., including after Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma in 2017.

At first, the group was concerned they might interfere with recovery efforts but are now working side-by-side with state officials in aiding victims, according to 4 WWL.

Upon the news the Cajun Navy was deploying to the Sunshine State just before the Category Four storm made landfall, Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) expressed appreciation that the experienced group was on its way.

“I think the Cajun Navy is on the way, and OK, there we go. And look, we really welcome them, and those are really some battle hardened folks,” DeSantis said on Wednesday.

The group relocated its operations from the Tampa area to Fort Myers after receiving more “distress calls” in the area and wasted no time getting victims to safety.

Brian Trascher, Vice-President and spokesman for the United Cajun Navy, via 4 WWL, said:

We’ve identified a truck stop in Fort Myers that’s going to be closed for the next couple of days, and they’re letting us bring people there. And then the state of Florida emergency officials are sending their resources there to pick these people up and distribute them to state run shelters,” said The group was ready to deploy to southwestern Florida with multiple high water vehicles and jeeps because of the multiple chapters they have across the southwestern region.

After having experienced the devastation that natural weather can inflict on victims – especially given the history in Louisiana – Cajun Navy members understand the fears Floridians may face at the moment.

“We’ve all been through it in Southeast Louisiana so we know how bad it is, said Trascher. “It’s scary. There’s a lot of emotions involved, and we just kind of want to soften that blow as much as we can,”

The citizen-led group is not just confined to the U.S. southeast but has also helped those affected by Hurricane Fiona in Puerto Rico. Some group members have even traveled all the way to Ukraine to help victims of the ongoing war.

The Cajun Navy is accepting donations on its website as they continue to help the victims of this week’s devastating storm.

Go. The. $#@!. Away.

You are not needed or wanted in any part of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post

Florida utilities were working to restore power. As of Sunday morning, nearly 850,000 homes and businesses were still without electricity, down from a peak of 2.67 million.

In so much as a governor can't really "do" anything in situation such as this, other than to remove red tape roadblocks and let people do what needs to be done, that seems to me to be a pretty amazing statistic.

If that rate of power restoration is true, I'd expect power to be back to about 95 percent of people within a week.

That's a stunning amount of work.

It looks like DeSantis has, in the face of a devastating natural disaster, done just about everything he can do, right, and not done anything stupid either.

He'll never get credit in the Marxist media organs, but it will be remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    In so much as a governor can't really "do" anything in situation such as this, other than to remove red tape roadblocks and let people do what needs to be done...
    You're right. This is being done by linemen from all over the country who have left their families to answer the call. Just like the ones who came to us after that ice storm a decade ago.

So who cares if some politician or another gets credit they don't deserve for it? Let the credit fall where it's due.

Unless you're a fanboi. In which case, I still say, who cares? If he's a tool, they won't say a word about him until they brag about stealing the election from him. Otherwise, supporting him is a mistake. Either way, he ain't up on those poles getting the job done.

You're right. This is being done by linemen from all over the country who have left their families to answer the call. Just like the ones who came to us after that ice storm a decade ago.

So who cares if some politician or another gets credit they don't deserve for it? Let the credit fall where it's due.

Unless you're a fanboi. In which case, I still say, who cares? If he's a tool, they won't say a word about him until they brag about stealing the election from him. Otherwise, supporting him is a mistake. Either way, he ain't up on those poles getting the job done.
    That's my point....he's cutting administrative horse$#@! and letting the people do what needs to be done and organizing things effectively.

Credit where it's due.

Power Restored for over 2 Million in Gov. DeSantis’s Florida

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ntiss-florida/

HANNAH BLEAU 3 Oct 2022

Linemen have reportedly restored power for roughly two million customers in Gov. Ron DeSantis’s (R) Florida in the aftermath of Hurricane Ian last week, the governor said on Sunday.

The powerful storm rocked Florida’s west coast as a Category 4 storm, moving its way across central Florida and exiting off the east coast. It strengthened back to a hurricane after being downgraded to a tropical storm and smashed the South Carolina coast last week, making a second U.S. landfall.

Prior to the storm, DeSantis assured that tens of thousands of linemen were ready to restore power when the inevitable occurred in the Sunshine State.

“#HurricaneIan is making landfall now. Florida is ready to respond. We have fleets of highwater vehicles, 42,000 linemen, 7,000 National Guardsmen and 179 aircraft prepared to help,” he said on Wednesday, providing updates on crews ready to respond:

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Florida's valiant "thin blue line" serving Floridians by bravely protecting them from the hellish anarchy of having their damaged homes repaired by someone who doesn't have permission from the State:

https://twitter.com/FloridaDBPR/stat...53305204576258
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 10-09-2022 at 10:06 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast