Thread: Will Italy’s Election Foreshadow US Midterms?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Will Italy’s Election Foreshadow US Midterms?

Will Italy’s Election Foreshadow US Midterms?
    written by ron paul - monday september 26, 2022

Sunday was an historic election day for Italy. A conservative alliance with a populist flair absolutely trounced the technocrats who had been running the country into the ground for the past several years.

The previous prime minister, former Goldman Sachs banker Mario Draghi, implemented one of the most restrictive – and inhuman – Covid shutdowns, which, along with supporting economically suicidal sanctions against Russia, have left Italy an economic basket case.

Replacing the bland banker will likely be Giorgia Meloni from the right-wing Sons of Italy party. Meloni will be a first for Italy: the first female prime minister. But don’t expect the Left to celebrate it: her name cannot be mentioned in the mainstream media without reference to Mussolini.

Ironically, the democratic victory of Meloni and the rest of the Italian right likely owes a great deal of gratitude to one of Europe’s most undemocratic and anti-democratic leaders: European Union Commissioner Ursula von der Leyen.

On the eve of the Italian elections, the unelected von der Leyen warned Italians that if they voted for the “wrong” parties they would be punished. Asked about the surge of the political opposition in Italy on the eve of the elections, she warned Italian voters, “we will see the result of the vote in Italy. If things go in a difficult direction — and I’ve spoken about Hungary and Poland — we have the tools.”

In other words, her message to Italian voters was “yes you can vote, but if you vote in a way I do not approve of, you will be punished.”

Italians rushed to vote in a way she did not approve of. It will be interesting to see what happens.

How does any of this relate to the United States as the US moves closer to the midterm elections? Americans have also been given warnings by the political elites that they dare not vote for the “wrong” candidates or parties.

On September 1st, President Biden issued a warning similar to that of Europe’s von der Leyen. In one of the most bizarre speeches in political history, Biden warned that Trump supporters “…are determined to take this country backwards — backwards to an America where there is no right to choose, no right to privacy, no right to contraception, no right to marry who you love. They promote authoritarian leaders, and they fan the flames of political violence that are a threat to our personal rights, to the pursuit of justice, to the rule of law, to the very soul of this country.”

He spoke on a frightening, red-lit stage with US Marines serving as props on either side of him. This was no “Checkers” speech with Nixon speaking wistfully about his cocker spaniel. No, it was a declaration of war against half of the country.

A few weeks ago Sweden threw its left-wing government out and Sunday the Italians did the same. While the political differences in Europe seem more cosmetic than substantive – for example Italy’s presumptive new prime minister supports weapons to Ukraine just like her predecessor – there is still a strong feeling of popular revolt against political elites in the air.

That doesn’t mean things will easily go our way, as there is no automatic libertarian surge. But we must study hard and take advantage of every single opportunity. People are sick of the elites? That means they are likely open to the concepts of non-interventionism and sound money. Let’s help educate them!
    http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives...w-us-midterms/
    Copyright © 2022 by RonPaul Institute. Permission to reprint in whole or in part is gladly granted, provided full credit and a live link are given.
    Please donate to the Ron Paul Institute
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I doubt it means much here. I just hope it means more conservative govts in Europe. I wish we had republicans as good as the new Italian leader.
    Last edited by helenpaul; 09-26-2022 at 07:16 PM.

Logically the Democrats should be blown out in a landslide regardless of Italy's election. That being said, I think the Dem will keep the Senate and the GOP will take the House.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Im starting to think reps will take the senate 51-49

Much as I wish I could say "yes", I suspect it will be a no. Not because the sentiments or proportions are different here, but because the Democrats will be up to their elbows in election tampering and the otherwise good people of America will do nothing to stop them.

Thus far, this has been the pattern and I see no indication that it will change in any meaningful way. I look forward to being proven wrong.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Much as I wish I could say "yes", I suspect it will be a no. Not because the sentiments or proportions are different here, but because the Democrats will be up to their elbows in election tampering and the otherwise good people of America will do nothing to stop them.

Thus far, this has been the pattern and I see no indication that it will change in any meaningful way. I look forward to being proven wrong.
    Yep. By any means necessary, they will win key elections.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Yep. By any means necessary, they will win key elections.
    And here I was hoping for better news.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

In the US, it's going to be about which group is more energized: those upset over Democrats incompetence about the economy, or those upset about the overturning of Roe and Republican attempts to legislatively outlaw or severely restrict abortion.

If you look at the pro-life forces in Italy, you don't find them running on an end to abortion. You find them running on policies which provide handouts to encourage single and economically disadvantaged women to carry pregnancies to term and support them after they've done so. That isn't the approach in the US. In fact, that's part of the marketing that pro-choice forces in the US point use about pro-life Republicans: that they're not pro-life, they're anti-abortion.

In Italy, abortions are available up until 90 days no questions asked. And they're available after that for cases involving the health of the mother and fetal anomalies. What's more, abortions are publicly funded for anyone who qualifies for free medical care. From what I've seen (though maybe I haven't seen enough), neither side in the debate is looking to change that. Here's the catch though: doctors are not compelled to provide abortions, and 80% of them refuse to do so - which makes it difficult to get an abortion in Italy.

Edited to add:
    Of course, Italy also has a declining population, so it's really easy to back handouts which encourage woman to have children. That's not the case in the US; and providing handouts to single and disadvantaged women to have children just subsidizes the creation of more Democrats, right?
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 09-27-2022 at 08:56 AM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    In the US, it's going to be about which group is more energized: those upset over Democrats incompetence about the economy, or those upset about the overturning of Roe and Republican attempts to legislatively outlaw or severely restrict abortion.

If you look at the pro-life forces in Italy, you don't find them running on an end to abortion. You find them running on policies which provide handouts to encourage single and economically disadvantaged women to carry pregnancies to term and support them after they've done so. That isn't the approach in the US. In fact, that's part of the marketing that pro-choice forces in the US point use about pro-life Republicans: that they're not pro-life, they're anti-abortion.

In Italy, abortions are available up until 90 days no questions asked. And they're available after that for cases involving the health of the mother and fetal anomalies. What's more, abortions are publicly funded for anyone who qualifies for free medical care. From what I've seen (though maybe I haven't seen enough), neither side in the debate is looking to change that. Here's the catch though: doctors are not compelled to provide abortions, and 80% of them refuse to do so - which makes it difficult to get an abortion in Italy.

Edited to add:
    Of course, Italy also has a declining population, so it's really easy to back handouts which encourage woman to have children. That's not the case in the US; and providing handouts to single and disadvantaged women to have children just subsidizes the creation of more Democrats, right?
    In fairness to the GOP, only Lindsey Graham pushed for Federal legislation, in a blatant act of sabotage.

In fairness to Lindsey Graham, what he is proposing is not much different from what Italy and most of Europe already has. But it should not be a Federal issue at all in the US.