Thread: Henry Ford vs. Elon Musk

Henry Ford vs. Elon Musk

Henry Ford vs. Elon Musk

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2022...-vs-elon-musk/

By
    eric -
    September 21, 2022

Henry Ford was the antithesis of Elon Musk. The latter uses government to force people into cars that are more expensive and less practical, thereby diminishing personal mobility. The former designed and built a car that cost less (each successive model year) and was far more versatile and practical than a horse and buggy, that freed people from being largely stuck where they were.

Ford did not use the power of the government to compel his rivals to subsidize his operations, as Musk has done (via the selling of what are styled “carbon credits” to other car companies, who are under regulatory duress to either build a certain number of EeeeeeeeeVeeeeees or buy “credit” – from Elon – for having built them).

The Model T was the antithesis of Tesla’s cars. The latter are designed to be very high-performance and for that reason very consumptive, of both power and raw materials. They are not designed for longevity or owner-serviceability. They are operationally fragile in that extreme conditions – as of high heat and extreme cold – greatly diminish their functionality.

The Model T was specifically designed to be as simple and practical as possible. It had no fuel or water pump. It did not even need a small starter battery in order to run as the engine was designed to be turned over by hand and – once running – magnetos kept it running.

It was not “ludicrously” fast or even moderately quick. But – unlike a Tesla – it could and did go almost anywhere, anytime. Ford built it with more ground clearance than a modern SUV and fitted it with skinny rather than steamroller tires; the latter are perfect for getting stuck in snow and mud; the former for fording through them. The Model T was built specifically for the terrible (and usually unpaved) roads of early 20th century America.

A Tesla is designed for the “perfect” roads of urban hipster 21st century America. It is terrible for the conditions that exist outside the urban perimeter, because there are few-to-none of the “fast” chargers on which Teslas and other EeeeeeeeeVeeeees depend to get going again in anything less than several hours.

Teslas – and all other EeeeeeeeVeeeeees – use just one fuel, in limited supply. This limits the EeeeeeeeVeeeeeee owner’s options, tethers him to a centralized power generation and distribution grid. There is no other way to power an EeeeeeeVeeee, which means if the power is turned off or rationed, an EeeeeeeeeVeeeee goes nowhere.

The Model T’s engine could easily be modified to operate on a variety of fuels, such as home-brew alcohol and even kerosene (Fordson tractors, closely related to the Model T were “dual fuel” from the factory). Henry Ford, who grew up on a farm, understood that being dependent on a single type of fuel controlled by a centralized distribution system would limit rather than increase mobility.

Almost anyone could fix – not just service – a Model T. There wasn’t much to go wrong but if it did, a very basic tool set could usually deal with it.
    When a Tesla needs service, a Tesla Authorized Service Center may be able to deal with it. And you – if you’re the owner – will pay dearly for it.

Even more so for its battery – without which it does not move.

Ford and Musk. The Model T – and the EeeeeeeeeeeVeeeee. Two oppositional archetypes, each embodying the differences between the America that was and the America that’s replacing it.

And not because Americans want it to be replaced.

Ford’s America was organic and voluntary. No one was forced to buy his cars, nor to subsidize his building them. But people – more than 15 million of them – clamorously bought his car and not one of them had to be paid to buy it, either. The Model T dramatically improved the lives of ordinary Americans who – for the first time in history – were free to travel on their own, in their own vehicle and on no one else’s schedule.

Ford raised the standard of living for average Americans, tens of thousands of whom worked at the Ford plants where Ford cars were made. He paid them more and charged them less for the cars they helped to make. Ford became very rich. But Americans got richer, too.

Elon Musk is richer than Ford ever was, by several orders of magnitude. But his riches have come at the expense of average Americans, who have been impoverished by the push to force simple, affordable cars off the market so that government-mandated EeeeeeeeeVeeeeees can own the market.

Ford said:

“I will build a car for the great multitude. It will be large enough for the family, but small enough for the individual to run and care for. It will be constructed of the best materials, by the best men to be hired, after the simplest designs that modern engineering can devise. But it will be low in price so that no man making a good salary will be unable to own one-and enjoy with his family the blessing of hours of pleasure in God’s great open spaces.”

Elon says that vision must be replaced by a Great Reset, after which the “great multitude” will own nothing and be happy about being tethered to where they are by dint of being unable to afford to go very far from there.

One of the great and terrible ironies of this tale is that Ford reversed the situation that existed before the Model T did, when cars were the expensive toys of the affluent. Tesla – and “electrification,” generally – are reversing that, returning cars to what they were before the introduction of the Model T.

That is to say, making them once again the expensive toys of the affluent. With the one difference being that this time, ordinary Americans are paying for it.
    "Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    That is to say, making them once again the expensive toys of the affluent. With the one difference being that this time, ordinary Americans are paying for it.
    Yes. Positively, absolutely yes.

Not that the Model T deserves all those accolades, really. It was in many ways a piece of junk. And Ford tried hard to make the state of the automotive art stand still, which forced his son Edsel to fight him tooth and nail to keep the company competitive.

Not only was this nation free enough to make it possible for Ford to mobilize it, and to some degree, much of the rest of the world too, it was free enough to allow his competitors to prevent Ford from making the technology hidebound. John Dodge, for example, slyly said he and his brother went from making components to making cars because, "Just think of all the Ford owners who will someday want an automobile."

And now? Dodge pushed the state of the automotive art to amazing heights. Now they have stopped, not voluntarily, despite their considerable success and popularity, and joined Musk in the glorified golf cart business. Why? Because government.

What a wonderful world it would be if we eliminated that pool of sociopathy on the Potomac.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 09-22-2022 at 07:24 AM.
    "Pity we didn't nominate Rand Paul--a man who actually has the Alpha Cojones to put his life on the line, but unfortunately lacks the bad taste necessary to brag about them."-- acptulsa

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    ^^ That's the key of which I oppose ---> Corporate Welfare. ^^

Other than that, people dog batteries, but I support the innovation. From buggy whips to gas powered cars, now on to electric. Maybe someday nuclear powered or even H3.

Remember the Swamp Rat?

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...ragster-record

Last edited by PAF; 09-22-2022 at 07:47 AM.
    “The right to life is the source of all rights—and the right to property is their only implementation. Without property rights, no other rights are possible. Since man has to sustain his life by his own effort, the man who has no right to the product of his effort has no means to sustain his life. The man who produces while others dispose of his product, is a slave.”

An Agorist Primer

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Other than that, people dog batteries, but I support the innovation. From buggy whips to gas powered cars, now on to electric. Maybe someday nuclear powered or even H3.
    Suit yourself. I enjoy road tripping much too much to want one. They have always been around. But they really always have been playthings of the wealthy, because battery technology has also never enabled them to be affordable to maintain. And because the wealthy can afford another car (or a private jet, a far more massive polluter which no government is trying to ban) for when they want to leave town.

Support the hundred and something year old "innovation" all you want. But you and I both know that government forcing me to support it is just plain wrong.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 09-22-2022 at 07:54 AM.
    "Pity we didn't nominate Rand Paul--a man who actually has the Alpha Cojones to put his life on the line, but unfortunately lacks the bad taste necessary to brag about them."-- acptulsa

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    And now? Dodge pushed the state of the automotive art to amazing heights. Now they have stopped, not voluntarily, despite their considerable success and popularity, and joined Musk in the glorified golf cart business. Why? Because government.
    I've owned many a car throughout the years, my prized runner the 68 Camaro. But the latest Challenger had it all off the showroom floor... power, roomy, and by far one the sexiest in many years. I doubt I'll own one now, but I sometimes rent them when I'm out of town when they are available. What a sweet ride!

“The right to life is the source of all rights—and the right to property is their only implementation. Without property rights, no other rights are possible. Since man has to sustain his life by his own effort, the man who has no right to the product of his effort has no means to sustain his life. The man who produces while others dispose of his product, is a slave.”

An Agorist Primer

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post

Support the hundred and something year old "innovation" all you want. But you and I both know that government forcing me to support it is just plain wrong.
    No dispute there, I agree 1,000%. I made point of that in my post #3.

An Agorist Primer