Thread: Revisiting Gain of Function Research: What the Pandemic Taught Us and Where Do We Go From Here

Revisiting Gain of Function Research: What the Pandemic Taught Us and Where Do We Go From Here

Revisiting Gain of Function Research: What the Pandemic Taught Us and Where Do We Go From Here

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Dr. Rand Paul Delivers Opening Remarks at Gain of Function Hearing - August 3, 2022

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Bioweapons research has been going on for 100 years. It will not be stopping any time soon.

The likelihood that SARS-Cov2 is a weapon is high. Consider that its behavior is utterly unprecedented. When have you ever seen a virus mutate so many times in a mere two year period? Never? Correct. This is unlikely to be a natural phenomenon, unless of course the population doomsayers are right and we are approaching some tipping point. But how would we be able to tell whether they are correct, or if what we are experiencing is the product of deliberate artifice?

Then there are the so-called "long covid" symptoms that linger for months at the least. I NEVER get sick. When I was a child, I got flu yearly like clockwork and would be deathly ill from it. I finally decided that enough was enough and simply refused to get sick after being in bed a full month in 1979. The only illness I had since then was lyme in 1992, which admittedly jacked my ass up pretty good, but I got over it. Fast forward to last September where, in the wake of having rolled one of the tractors on myself (don't ask), my slight injuries were enough compromise to allow the covid to get hooks in me. I got over it and was fine until about 3 months ago when my lungs just decided to explode. I was expelling lots of white-cell matter. Finally went to doc and he told me this was likely the lingering effects of the covid infection. It's up and down. Last week I felt like I was 50 again. This week, I felt like I had no life in me. My point here is that I have never been like this in any measure, at least since '79. Now all of a sudden I am weak to some lingering aftermath? Possible, but I find it unlikely. My suspicion is that this is the result of a work-product designed to bring just enough effect to the individual to establish non-trivial stress conditions. This would certainly fit the pattern of an intention to break a population of its will to independence and self-governance. Theye are bastards and they want it all. I put nothing past them.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Dr. Paul Joins the Balance to Discuss First Gain of Function Hearing - August 3, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

Risk... benefits... hazards...

All irrelevant. Why? Glad you asked. Because human beings. Period.

Nobody gives a damn about the risks because those engaging in such research ALWAYS think they have things under control. Benefits? ANY potential strategic military (and hence political) advantage will be pursued, regardless of cost. Make no mistake, so-called "gain of function" is 100% about military advantage - the trump card each side wishes to have in their hip pocket... just in case. The history of humanity should make this clear to everyone with an IQ. This is trebly demonstrated over the course of the twentieth century. The moment industrialization of warfare became a material reality, underpinned by scientific method and engineering know-how, human beings immediately embarked down the grim paths of NBC warfare. There was not even so much as the least detectable hesitation.

What, then, makes anyone think that such hearings hold the least meaningful value? This is theater of the most gratuitous variety because of its rank cynicism. The world is in the hands of raving devils, we do absolutely nothing to stop them, and then melodramatically and ever-so-publicly ask how this tragedy or that outrage could have happened. We make embarrassments of ourselves, minute over minute.

To put it very bluntly, humanity is full of $#@!. As a statistical gestalt, we are in love with the petty drama of death and destruction... at least when it's someone else's children being consumed by bombs, disease, poverty, flame, and unspeakable misery. Our political bull$#@! is all a big game for the bored people of the apparently overly-affluent "first-world", which has bred a raft of adult bodies in various states of arrested mental development. The key outstanding feature of the mean man is the vulgar and cheap, childish self-centeredness that drives an indomitable will to every possible known stupidity. The factories of twisted imaginations churn out new idiocies every single day, to which the masses of functionally brain-dead and ill-bred whelps cleave, as if their very existences depended upon them. The utter depth of self-willed human depravity still manages to open new and shocking, if unsurprising, vistas to me almost by the day. We are a despicable species, unworthy of the blessings and miracles of our existences, not as matters of our immutable individual natures, but of our personal choices, driven by our will to be as shoddily corrupt as we are able to pull off, while evading any immediately discernible consequences.

Nearly every misery known to men do they heap upon themselves, often with the eager glee of out-of-control puppies. Any why? So they will have something over which to wail and gnash their teeth... That, and the pleasures of getting one's knob polished, most of that having been turned to something ugly as well. It's all about cheap, $#@!ty, petulant, vulgar drama, devoid of any trace of art or other value. If you doubt, then ask why television is as it is, content-wise, and why people are so in love with the filth and trash found there and everywhere else. Pleasure and crap drama drives the bored children of affluence. Look to people who struggle to live yet one more day as their greatest concern, and you will find none of the filth that rampages through, and literally defines the lives of material wealth and spiritual depravity. That's where we are, kiddies, and do not for one minute fool yourselves into believing that things are so much as a whit better than this.

The so-called "left" is most guilty of all this falderal, but the rest share in it, if unequally. Few, if any, are innocent.

I, of course, am one of the worst of all. I see everything, and yet manage to stupidly cling to my outmoded thoughts, and some sliver of hope. They crowned Quasimodo "King of Fools", but indeed it should have been me, if I may flatter myself as having risen to that meager notch.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Rand Paul: 'We will get to the bottom' of COVID-19's origins if GOP wins majority

Kentucky Republican Sen. Rand Paul predicted that a GOP majority in Congress would "get to the bottom" of the origins of COVID-19, something that still hasn't been fully investigated.

"I think most of the mainstream media has kept off of the airwaves a discussion of gain-of-function research or the origins of the virus, but we will get to the bottom of this," Paul said on a conference call with reporters. "It's going to take control of committees ...

"I've talked to Jim Jordan and others about investigating this. I think there's a great deal of interest in investigating the origins of the virus. I'm very interested in it, but it depends on elections. Elections have consequences. We'll have to see what happens in November."

Republicans and moderate Democrats have called on Democratic congressional leaders to establish a commission to investigate the origins of COVID-19. Such a commission was never formed. Under the Democrat-led Congress, the relevant committees haven't fully investigated the origins of the virus or China's handling of the initial outbreak. Paul himself held the first congressional hearing on gain-of-function research earlier this month.
    More: https://justthenews.com/government/c...-wins-majority

https://twitter.com/ComicDaveSmith/s...36678133727232

Dave is right. Congressional "oversight" is a joke. I don't blame Rand for that (I'm sure he'd prefer it was otherwise), but regardless of what (if anything) is revealed or discovered, no one will be held accountable or suffer any consequences. The most that can reasonably be hoped for is that respect and trust in the feds will be undermined by that much more - another straw or two for the camel's back, so to speak.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    https://twitter.com/ComicDaveSmith/s...36678133727232

Dave is right. Congressional "oversight" is a joke. I don't blame Rand for that (I'm sure he'd prefer it was otherwise), but regardless of what (if anything) is revealed or discovered, no one will be held accountable or suffer any consequences. The most that can reasonably be hoped for is that respect and trust in the feds will be undermined by that much more - another straw or two for the camel's back, so to speak.
    I'd guess that Rand has no illusions about any individuals being held accountable legally, other than being shown as liars. The true goal may be bans on government gain of function research, or defunding some of the things that led to this situation.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    You can bet that Fauci and friends will double down and continue. Anything less would be an admission that they are responsible for the pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    You can bet that Fauci and friends will double down and continue. Anything less would be an admission that they are responsible for the pandemic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.