Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New York Times: Ray Epps is a victim of J6

New York Times: Ray Epps is a victim of J6

https://twitter.com/DarrenJBeattie/s...35939554148353

Here is Beattie's analysis of the article (tweet-thread images hidden to save space):

Here is the NYT article:

‘It’s Just Been Hell:’ Life as the Victim of a Jan. 6 Conspiracy Theory
    Ray Epps became the unwitting face of an attempt by pro-Trump forces to promote the baseless idea that the F.B.I. was behind the attack on the Capitol.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/13/u...-ray-epps.html
    [archive link: https://archive.ph/TXyZT]
    Alan Feuer (13 July 2022)

IN THE ROCKY MOUNTAINS — Up a winding country road, in a trailer park a half-mile from a cattle ranch, lives a man whose life has been ruined by a Jan. 6 conspiracy theory.

Ray Epps has suffered enormously in the past 10 months as right-wing media figures and Republican politicians have baselessly described him as a covert government agent who helped to instigate the attack on the Capitol last year.

Strangers have assailed him as a coward and a traitor and have menacingly cautioned him to sleep with one eye open. He was forced to sell his business and his home in Arizona. Fearing for his safety and uncertain of his future, he and his wife moved into a mobile home in the foothills of the Rockies, with all of their belongings crammed into shipping containers in a high-desert meadow, a mile or two away.

“And for what — lies?” Mr. Epps asked the other day with a look of pained exhaustion. “All of this, it’s just been hell.”

Almost from the moment that a violent mob stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, allies of former President Donald J. Trump have sought to shift the blame for the attack away from the people who were in the pro-Trump crowd that day to any number of scapegoats.

First they pointed at antifa, the leftist activists who have a history of clashing with Mr. Trump’s backers but who did not show up when the Capitol was breached. Then they tried to fault the F.B.I., which, according to those who spread the baseless tale, planned the attack to provoke a crackdown on conservatives.

Mr. Epps, 61, was not just a bystander on Jan. 6. He traveled to Washington to back Mr. Trump, was taped urging people to go to the Capitol and was there himself on the day of the assault. But through a series of events that twisted his role, he became the face of this conspiracy theory about the F.B.I. as it spread from the fringes to the mainstream.

Obscure right-wing media outlets, like Revolver News, used selectively edited videos and unfounded leaps of logic to paint him as a secret federal asset in charge of a “breach team” responsible for setting off the riot at the Capitol.

The stories about Mr. Epps were quickly seized on by the Fox News host Tucker Carlson, who gave them a wider audience. They were also echoed by Republican members of Congress like Representative Thomas Massie of Kentucky and Senator Ted Cruz of Texas.

Eventually, Mr. Trump joined the fray, mentioning Mr. Epps at one of his political rallies and lending fuel to a viral Twitter hashtag, #WhoIsRayEpps.

After months of watching from the shadows as public figures he once respected — Mr. Trump among them — tarred his name and destroyed his reputation, Mr. Epps decided that he wanted to answer that question for himself.

In a daylong interview, sitting in his air-conditioned recreational vehicle with his wife, Robyn, and their two Shih Tzus beside him, Mr. Epps described himself as a father, a former Marine and a staunch but disillusioned conservative whose leaders had betrayed him. He granted the interview on the condition that the location of his new home not be disclosed.

“I am at the center of this thing, and it’s the biggest farce that’s ever been,” he said. “It’s just not right. The American people are being led down a path. I think it should be criminal.”

To that end, Mr. Epps and his wife have been searching for a lawyer to help them file a defamation lawsuit against several of the people who have spread the false accounts. Should they end up doing so, they would join a list of other individuals and companies — most notably, the voting machine producer Dominion Voting Systems — in using the courts to push back on the rampant disinformation that emerged again and again during Mr. Trump’s efforts to overturn the election.

“The truth needs to come out,” Mr. Epps explained, petting his dogs.

While Mr. Epps was a participant in some of the events that unfolded on Jan. 6, the claim that he inspired the Capitol riot in a “false flag” plot is solely based on the fact that he has never been arrested and therefore must be under the protection of the government.

But scores, if not hundreds, of people who appear to have committed minor crimes that day were investigated by the F.B.I. but have not been charged or taken into custody.

Mr. Epps said that he had acted stupidly at times when he and one of his sons took a last-minute trip to Washington for Mr. Trump’s speech about election fraud. But he said that he had managed to avoid arrest because he reached out to the F.B.I. within minutes of discovering that agents wanted to speak with him and demonstrated during interviews with them that he had spent much of his time at the Capitol seeking to calm down other rioters, an assertion supported by multiple video clips.

Mr. Epps, who questioned the results of the election, was also interviewed twice by the House select committee on Jan. 6. After his dealings with the panel were completed, officials released a statement saying he had told them that he never worked as an asset for, or an employee of, any federal law enforcement agency.

One of the moments Mr. Epps said he regrets most from his stay in Washington took place the night before the Capitol attack, when he joined his son and a friend for a pro-Trump rally at Black Lives Matter Plaza. During the event, he was videotaped by a right-wing provocateur encouraging people to go inside the Capitol on Jan. 6 in what he described, even at the time, as a form of peaceful protest.

The clip has been used to depict Mr. Epps as a man who not only urged people to riot at the Capitol but also then evaded prosecution. The Justice Department has not publicly addressed its decision not to charge him, but the legal definition of incitement requires a person’s words to cause an immediate threat of danger, not one that could possibly occur the following day.

On Jan. 6 itself, Mr. Epps, believing he could stop the violence at the Capitol, inserted himself into a conflict between the police and members of the pro-Trump mob that is widely considered to be the tipping point of the attack.

He can be seen in videos from around 1 p.m. that day accosting a rioter named Ryan Samsel, who had already started to confront officers behind a metal barricade on the west side of the Capitol. Mr. Epps said he intervened in the conflict to keep Mr. Samsel from attacking the police and tried to tell Mr. Samsel that the officers were merely doing their jobs. Mr. Samsel gave an identical account to the F.B.I. when he was arrested weeks later.

Mr. Epps also said he regretted sending a text to his nephew, well after the violence had erupted, in which he discussed how he helped to orchestrate the movements of people who were leaving Mr. Trump’s speech near the White House by pointing them in the direction of the Capitol.

Mr. Epps further acknowledged that while he moved past barricades into a restricted area of the Capitol grounds, he did not go into the building itself. The vast majority of those who did not enter the building or commit additional crimes have not been charged.

By the time the violence started spreading, Mr. Epps had already left the Capitol, having helped to get a sick protester to safety.

The problems began for Mr. Epps almost as soon as Revolver News published its first article about him in October. Suddenly, there were emailed death threats; trespassers on his property demanding “answers” about Jan. 6; and acquaintances, fellow members of his church, even family members who disowned him, he said.

Things became significantly worse after Mr. Carlson and prominent politicians began to amplify the lies.

In late December, Ms. Epps discovered shell casings on the ground near the bunkhouse of the farm-style wedding venue they owned in Arizona, suggesting that someone had been shooting at the building. Then, in January, Mr. Epps received a letter from someone claiming to have been brought into the country by a Mexican drug cartel.

The writer said he had overheard some cartel members talking about killing Mr. Epps.

“I right on paper to tell you need to be look out,” the letter said in broken English. “These drug gang people very bad people.”

Whether it was real or just a demented joke, Ms. Epps went into hiding, leaving Mr. Epps to arm himself and run the family business for a while through his security team. Ultimately, the couple sold the business and their ranch-style house, losing hundreds of thousands of dollars and wrecking the arrangements they had made for their retirement.

“It has a been a nightmare,” Ms. Epps said.

After leaving Arizona for the mountains months ago, the Eppses have not done much. They manage to spend time with their children — and some of their 37 grandchildren — but mostly keep to themselves. Mr. Epps has taken to wearing a wide-brimmed hat that hides his face. If people at the gas station or grocery store say he looks familiar, he will usually smile and then be on his way.

While he wants to clear his name, he is under no illusion that he will ever manage to divorce it fully from the lies.

“They’ll always be associated,” Mr. Epps said. “You can’t convince some people. There are extremists out there that you’ll never convince them that they’re wrong.”
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    [T]hrough a series of events that twisted his role [...]
    Speaking of "twisted roles" ...

[H]e was videotaped by a right-wing provocateur encouraging people to go inside the Capitol on Jan. 6 [...]
    Notice how the (alleged) "journalist" who wrote this describes the unidentified videotaper as a "provocateur" - but does not so describe the person (Epps) who was actually "encouraging people to go inside the Capitol". Also notice how the sentence is phrased in such a way that it can easily be parsed as suggesting that the "videotaper" was the one "encouraging people" - a suggestion that is reinforced by describing the "videotaper" as a "provocateur".

If you ever wonder why the media is increasingly loathed and despised by increasingly larger numbers of people, you have only to consider that mealy-mouthed hacks like the author of this piece (and his editors) are considered to be respectable "journalists".

This article pretty much confirms that he was a fed/asset
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    This article pretty much confirms that he was a fed/asset
    Could they make it more obvious?

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TheTexan again."
    "An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government" - Ron Paul.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you arent allowed to criticize."

Victim? The guy was literally an FBI asset.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status...16616264192000

Experience tells me that we are getting a lot of propaganda from all sides.

It would be interesting to compare Ray Epps actions to other people that have been prosecuted and/or jailed. Is anyone in jail that never entered the Capital Building?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Poor Ray.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    “And for what — lies?” Mr. Epps asked the other day with a look of pained exhaustion.
    Well, we do have you on video telling crowds that you're going to go into the Capitol and directly coordinating with other ring leaders who lead the protestors past the barricades, Mr. Epps. So there's that.

There are people who did less sitting in prison today. So count your blessings.
    There is nothing to fear from globalism, free trade and a single worldwide currency, but a globalism where free trade is competitively subsidized by each nation, a continuous trade war is dictated by the WTO, and the single currency is pure fiat, fear is justified. That type of globalism is destined to collapse into economic despair, inflationism and protectionism and managed by resurgent militant nationalism.
    Ron Paul
    Congressional Record (March 13, 2001)

Mr. Epps also said he regretted sending a text to his nephew, well after the violence had erupted, in which he discussed how he helped to orchestrate the movements of people who were leaving Mr. Trump’s speech near the White House by pointing them in the direction of the Capitol.
    He doesn't regret that he helped to orchestrate the movements of people who were leaving Mr. Trump’s speech near the White House by pointing them in the direction of the Capitol.

He only regrets that he sent his nephew a text discussing how he did that.
    Last edited by Invisible Man; 07-19-2022 at 09:28 AM.
    There is nothing to fear from globalism, free trade and a single worldwide currency, but a globalism where free trade is competitively subsidized by each nation, a continuous trade war is dictated by the WTO, and the single currency is pure fiat, fear is justified. That type of globalism is destined to collapse into economic despair, inflationism and protectionism and managed by resurgent militant nationalism.
    Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

It would be interesting to compare Ray Epps actions to other people that have been prosecuted and/or jailed. Is anyone in jail that never entered the Capital Building?

Considering the extreme politicization of this event and the absurd sentences for Jan 6 people in general, I don't see how you can imagine any amount leniency here unless he was a fed.

Ray Epps pretty much did exactly what they accused Trump of doing

From a very brief search I did find a couple people arrested for Jan 6 that didn't go inside. Caldwell and Vallejo from Outh Keepers.
    Last edited by TheTexan; 07-19-2022 at 09:35 AM.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

“I am at the center of this thing, and it’s the biggest farce that’s ever been,” he said. “It’s just not right. The American people are being led down a path. I think it should be criminal.”
    The more I read the article, the more I see things that irk me.

What exactly is a farce, Mr. Epps? And what exactly are you saying should be criminal? Go ahead and spell out how the things you said are a farce when other people say them, but somehow weren't a farce when you said them, and how the things you did are criminal for other people, but not for you.
    Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Man View Post
    The more I read the article, the more I see things that irk me.

What exactly is a farce, Mr. Epps? And what exactly are you saying should be criminal? Go ahead and spell out how the things you said are a farce when other people say them, but somehow weren't a farce when you said them, and how the things you did are criminal for other people, but not for you.
    That's not his area of expertise. If all that spin above, lovingly crafted for you by the New York Times, doesn't convince you, you're incorrigible.
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Considering the extreme politicization of this event and the absurd sentences for Jan 6 people in general, I don't see how you can imagine any amount leniency here unless he was a fed.

Ray Epps pretty much did exactly what they accused Trump of doing

From a very brief search I did find a couple people arrested for Jan 6 that didn't go inside. Caldwell and Vallejo from Outh Keepers.
    I’m just curious about the actual comparisons with those charged. Apparently the Feds charged Caldwell with entering, but considering his affiliations, trumped up or blatantly false charges would not be surprising.

In the federal indictment, investigators say they had come across video proof that Caldwell had indeed entered the Capitol building that day. Caldwell, again, stated that he was "absolutely, categorically denying [this] when pressed on the issue by Carlson.
    Considering the defense of Epps from all the usual suspects, his case is highly suspicious. Was he already working with the Feds, or was he just extremely cooperative with deep state authorities after the fact?

That being said, we will never know the full and actual truth. All we get is a mix of propaganda, spin, speculation, and lies, with selected partial truths thrown in to keep everything confusing.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I’m just curious about the actual comparisons with those charged.
    I get your point but it's gonna be pretty hard to find a direct comparison. Ray Epps was rather unique in his "stupidity" (or rather, "fedidity" but w/e)
    - Kim Kardashian

New York Times: Ray Epps is a victim of J6
    Yea well so am I

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In those tweets, Beattie claims that Epps didn't attend Trump's speech.

What is the proof of that? Unless I missed it, Beattie doesn't provide anything besides a video showing him directing crowds to the Capitol. It isn't clear exactly where he is in that video or exactly what time it is, or how it proves that he couldn't have either just come from the speech, or been on his way to it.
    Ron Paul

In those tweets, Beattie claims that Epps didn't attend Trump's speech.

What is the proof of that? Unless I missed it, Beattie doesn't provide anything besides a video showing him directing crowds to the Capitol. It isn't clear exactly where he is in that video or exactly what time it is, or how it proves that he couldn't have either just come from the speech, or been on his way to it.
    He wasn't at the speech because the first barricade breach occurred 45 minutes before Trump's speech ended, and it takes about 45 minutes to walk from the speech to the Capitol. That means the speech goers arrived at the Capitol about 1.5 hours after the first barricades were breached.

Ray Epps is on video whispering into the ear of a man who, seconds later, along with several others mostly wearing black, breached the first police barricade.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    He wasn't at the speech because the first barricade breach occurred 45 minutes before Trump's speech ended, and it takes about 45 minutes to walk from the speech to the Capitol.
    So 45 minutes before Trump's speech was to begin, Epps was a 45-minute walk away from the Ellipse. Do we know what he did over those next 45 minutes?
    Ron Paul

So 45 minutes before Trump's speech was to begin, Epps was a 45-minute walk away from the Ellipse. Do we know what he did over those next 45 minutes?
    No, 45 minutes before Trump's speech ended, during the speech, Epps was a 45 minute walk away. Not sure if his entire timeline, I presume he was trying to get more people to go to the Capitol.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    No, 45 minutes before Trump's speech ended, during the speech, Epps was a 45 minute walk away. Not sure if his entire timeline, I presume he was trying to get more people to go to the Capitol.
    Gotcha.
    Ron Paul

Yes,, and there are Folks at the Jail supporting every night. With Ashli's Mother.;

Last edited by pcosmar; 08-15-2022 at 08:12 AM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Ray Ebbs is probably best friends with Cheney.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Ray Epps is probably best friends with Cheney.
    Now, be nice. He's ugly, but not took a load of birdshot to the face ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Now, be nice. He's ugly, but not took a load of birdshot to the face ugly.
    I don't think Liz knows how to shoot a gun, her mouth, yes, a gun, no.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

https://www.4ashli.com/cta/

Call To Action

You may ask, “What Could I Possibly Do?” or “What Kind of Difference Could I Possibly Make?” Our first response to those questions would be – “GOOD QUESTIONS! EXCELLENT QUESTIONS!!” The next response would be, “There are so many things that ANYONE can do, and MUST DO!” if TRUTH and JUSTICE are to win. This is precisely the reason for the #4Ashli Movement!

More importantly, as each of these items have the US Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and DUE PROCESS at its core – these are action items that affect each and every single American Citizen regardless of whether they are involved or affected by the events of January 6, 2021. On behalf of Micki Willhoeft, CAPP (Citizens Against Political Persecution, INC) and A4Justice (Americans for Justice, INC) we would like to say Thank You for doing your part to help keep the spirit of Ashli Babbitt alive! It is through this effort, that the sacrifice made by Ashli Babbitt and others on January 6th will continue to make a difference in saving our nation. Thank You!!
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Speaking of "victims"...

Ray Epps Speaks | Part Of The Problem 988
    On this episode of Part Of The Problem Dave and Robbie take a look at the upcoming CNN puff piece on Ray Epps, who was an extremely visible figure in the January 6th disturbance at The Capitol building. We then hear about the speculation that Joe Biden will be announcing his run candidacy earlier than expected due to pressure from a possible primary from RFK jr.
    https://rumble.com/v2kghaj-ray-epps-...oblem-989.html
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 04-28-2023 at 03:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast