Thread: Mitt Romney op-ed

Mitt Romney op-ed

At the top of Drudge at the moment...

I disagree mostly with his conclusions and solutions but his diagnosis of the problem seems alright for the most part.

Even as we watch the reservoirs and lakes of the West go dry, we keep watering our lawns, soaking our golf courses, and growing water-thirsty crops.

As inflation mounts and the national debt balloons, progressive politicians vote for ever more spending.

As the ice caps melt and record temperatures make the evening news, we figure that buying a Prius and recycling the boxes from our daily Amazon deliveries will suffice.

When TV news outlets broadcast video after video of people illegally crossing the nation’s southern border, many of us change the channel.
    As always, full article:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ection/661468/
    "I am a bird"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittens
    As inflation mounts and the national debt balloons, progressive politicians vote for ever more spending.
    "progressive politicians"

I wonder who that might be
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

And when a renowned conservative former federal appellate judge testifies that we are already in a war for our democracy and that January 6, 2021, was a genuine constitutional crisis, MAGA loyalists snicker that he speaks slowly and celebrate that most people weren’t watching.

What accounts for the blithe dismissal of potentially cataclysmic threats?
    Jan 6 was a potentially cataclysmic threat

lol
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    "progressive politicians"

I wonder who that might be
    Well he's probably one of them.
    "I am a bird"

...we keep watering our lawns, soaking our golf courses, and growing water-thirsty crops.
    This guy seriously makes no distinction between keeping lawns and golf courses green, and feeding people?

Seriously?

Oh, the first two things just keep grass from turning an unsightly brown, and the third just keeps poor people from making an unsightly riot. Ho hum, it's all so unnecessary.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 07-04-2022 at 02:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

What a joke. A puppet straight from the latest WEF or globalist brainstorming sessions. Pandering on every issue, still clinging to the never Trump neocons.

President Joe Biden is a genuinely good man, but he has yet been unable to break through our national malady of denial, deceit, and distrust. A return of Donald Trump would feed the sickness, probably rendering it incurable. Congress is particularly disappointing: Our elected officials put a finger in the wind more frequently than they show backbone against it. Too often, Washington demonstrates the maxim that for evil to thrive only requires good men to do nothing.

I hope for a president who can rise above the din to unite us behind the truth. Several contenders with experience and smarts stand in the wings; we intently watch to see if they also possess the requisite character and ability to bring the nation together in confronting our common reality. While we wait, leadership must come from fathers and mothers, teachers and nurses, priests and rabbis, businessmen and businesswomen, journalists and pundits. That will require us all to rise above ourselves—above our grievances and resentments—and grasp the mantle of leadership our country so badly needs.
    In other words, like Hillary Clinton, Mitt Romney is letting everyone know that he is ready to step in to be President.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Nobody cares what this cretin has to say anymore.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    This guy seriously makes no distinction between keeping lawns and golf courses green, and feeding people?

Seriously?

Oh, the first two things keep grass from turning an unsightly brown, and the third keeps poor people from making an unsightly riot. Ho hum, it's all so unnecessary.
    Didn’t you know, US real estate has far better uses than growing crops. We can just import food from the third world, no need to grow it here.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    What a joke. A puppet straight from the latest WEF or globalist brainstorming sessions. Pandering on every issue, still clinging to the never Trump neocons.

In other words, like Hillary Clinton, Mitt Romney is letting everyone know that he is ready to step in to be President.
    And we can be rest assured that Romney will not take the fall for Biden and actually try to beat him instead of taking the fall like he did for Obama.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

I agree with him on some of it. Not about Ukraine.

Mitt Romney - "President Joe Biden is a genuinely good man"

Mitt Romney: A Donald Trump Comeback Would Render America ‘Incurable’

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ica-incurable/

WENDELL HUSEBØ 4 Jul 2022

A political comeback by Donald Trump would render America’s “denial, deceit, and distrust” “incurable,” Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT) argued on July 4.

In an Atlantic op-ed entitled, “America Is in Denial,” the failed 2012 Republican presidential candidate scolded Americans for “blithely dismissing threats that could prove cataclysmic.” Chief among those threats is Trump, who “would feed the sickness, probably rendering it incurable,” according to Romney.

“I have witnessed time and again—in myself and in others—a powerful impulse to believe what we hope to be the case,” Romney continued. “A classic example of denial comes from Donald Trump: ‘I won in a landslide.’ Perhaps this is a branch of the same delusion that leads people to feed money into slot machines: Because I really want to win, I believe that I will win.”

In contrast, Romney praised President Joe Biden as “a genuinely good man” despite reports that the president took part in the Biden family’s corrupt business schemes at least 13 times.

“President Joe Biden is a genuinely good man, but he has yet been unable to break through our national malady of denial, deceit, and distrust. A return of Donald Trump would feed the sickness, probably rendering it incurable,” Romney wrote.

“I hope for a president who can rise above the din to unite us behind the truth,” Romney added.” Several contenders with experience and smarts stand in the wings; we added watch to see if they also possess the requisite character and ability to bring the nation together in confronting our common reality.”

It is unclear who Romney is referencing as “several contenders with experience and smarts” who may want to run in 2024. Polling shows Trump leading in a hypothetical GOP primary — holding a 40-point advantage over Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) — if he decides to run, according to a Harvard CAPS-Harris survey. Polling in third place is Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) with only eight percent.

On the Democrat side, Biden is more narrowly leading in the polls over Vice President Kamala Harris, Michelle Obama, and Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg. Gov. Gavin Newsom (D-CA) may also have plans to run in 2024, but polling has not yet captured voters’ interest in him.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

When the TDS is so bad that they've got everyone praising neoconservatives who praise neoliberals. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Pretty well written piece.

Audience is registered Democrats

Romney is a shill for neo-cons, that’s why he goes extremely light on Biden

Definitely need better leadership... of course he ain’t it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Mitt Romney: A Donald Trump Comeback Would Render America ‘Incurable’

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ica-incurable/

WENDELL HUSEBØ 4 Jul 2022

A political comeback by Donald Trump would render America’s “denial, deceit, and distrust” “incurable,” Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT) argued on July 4.

In an Atlantic op-ed entitled, “America Is in Denial,” the failed 2012 Republican presidential candidate scolded Americans for “blithely dismissing threats that could prove cataclysmic.” Chief among those threats is Trump, who “would feed the sickness, probably rendering it incurable,” according to Romney.

“I have witnessed time and again—in myself and in others—a powerful impulse to believe what we hope to be the case,” Romney continued. “A classic example of denial comes from Donald Trump: ‘I won in a landslide.’ Perhaps this is a branch of the same delusion that leads people to feed money into slot machines: Because I really want to win, I believe that I will win.”

In contrast, Romney praised President Joe Biden as “a genuinely good man” despite reports that the president took part in the Biden family’s corrupt business schemes at least 13 times.

“President Joe Biden is a genuinely good man, but he has yet been unable to break through our national malady of denial, deceit, and distrust. A return of Donald Trump would feed the sickness, probably rendering it incurable,” Romney wrote.

“I hope for a president who can rise above the din to unite us behind the truth,” Romney added.” Several contenders with experience and smarts stand in the wings; we added watch to see if they also possess the requisite character and ability to bring the nation together in confronting our common reality.”

It is unclear who Romney is referencing as “several contenders with experience and smarts” who may want to run in 2024. Polling shows Trump leading in a hypothetical GOP primary — holding a 40-point advantage over Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) — if he decides to run, according to a Harvard CAPS-Harris survey. Polling in third place is Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) with only eight percent.

On the Democrat side, Biden is more narrowly leading in the polls over Vice President Kamala Harris, Michelle Obama, and Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg. Gov. Gavin Newsom (D-CA) may also have plans to run in 2024, but polling has not yet captured voters’ interest in him.
    No. Joe Biden is not a genuinely good man in any stretch of the imagination.

Calvin Coolidge

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    No. Joe Biden is not a genuinely good man in any stretch of the imagination.
    Biden most certainly is NOT a good man.

Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    Biden most certainly is NOT a good man.

Exactly. He has been a criminal for over 50 years. Despite his feeble mind, he only knows how to be a criminal. In the end, he will get what he deserves.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.