Thread: Article V Convention: Will It Work?

Article V Convention: Will It Work?

The New American
    July 11, 2022

Article V Convention: Will It Work?
    Christian Gomez – America has not had a Constitutional Convention since 1787. The result then was a blessing. But holding a new convention today could end up being disastrous for the nation. This article explains why.

Natelson's Article V
    by Staff – Robert Natelson is typical of those calling for a modern-day Constitutional Convention, and he has some seriously flawed ideas as to how a convention actually works.

Balanced Budget Amendment
    by Charles Scaliger – Some conservatives are proposing a Balanced Budget Amendment to rein in out-of-control federal spending, but is this the right answer?

The Folly of Term Limits
    by Gary Benoit – Almost everyone recognizes that lame-duck congressmen are less responsive to their constituents. So why would anyone want to create more lame ducks via term limits?

Article VI, Not Article V
    by Steve Byas – There is a sure way to rein in a government that has overstepped its constitutional bounds. That solution is Article VI, not Article V.

Congressional Scorecards
    by Peter Rykowski –

Nullification: The Founders' Solution to Federal Overreach
    by Peter Rykowski – When the federal government ignores its constitutional limitations, states must enforce the Constitution by nullifying those usurpations — and many are already doing that.

Patriotic Americans Working to Prevent a Con-Con
    by C. Mitchell Shaw –

The Convention of 1787
    by Robert Owens – In 1787, the Articles of Confederation were trashed and replaced. Did the convention delegates exceed their legal authority?

If Not a Convention, What?
    by Bill Hahn –
    The John Birch Society is a grassroots education and action organization to return the Republic to the principles found in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. -- Join the Fight!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I highly doubt that a Constitutional Convention will ever be held again.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

It would be an absolute disaster. The 1st and 2nd would be gone.

I've said it once and I'll say it again and I'll say it a thousand times more:

If it were truly that easy to usurp the constitution using an article V convention then TPTB would have done it by now.

What have you got to lose?

They ignore the constitution now.

Have an article V convention, they will ignore the constitution then.

Whatever is written on paper is only as good as the will of the people to enforce it. Which in short, means, we're fk'd no matter what because we've become a nation of feckless effeminate men who just bend over and take whatever up the ***.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    However it is still certain that tho’ written constitutions may be violated in moments of passion or delusion, yet they furnish a text to which those who are watchful may again rally & recall the people: they fix too for the people principles for their political creed.
    ---------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    You are most likely correct.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 06-21-2022 at 07:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

A con-con is a relic of a bygone era.

And having one today will make things worse. Think of who would attend. We do not have Jeffersons, Adams's, Rush's, etc.
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

I dont see ever getting enough votes for it or if you did ever getting enough votes on any changes that grant more Liberty , but who knows ?
    Do something Danke

Pretty much what I've thought. The push for this started wnen Obummer was president and pelosi - schumer had house and senate as now. Hell you couldnt get that percentage of americans to agree on anything , dont forget half of them at best are retarded
    Do something Danke

34 states need to call for an Article V Constitutional Convention to start the process.

19 states have so far.

1. Georgia March 6, 2014
    2. Alaska April 19, 2014
    3. Florida April 21, 2014
    4. Alabama May 22, 2015
    5. Tennessee February 4, 2016
    6. Indiana February 29, 2016
    7. Oklahoma April 25, 2016
    8. Louisiana May 25, 2016
    9. Arizona March 13, 2017
    10. North Dakota March 24, 2017
    11. Texas May 4, 2017
    12. Missouri May 12, 2017
    13. Arkansas February 14, 2019
    14. Utah March 5, 2019
    15. Mississippi March 27, 2019
    16. Wisconsin January 25, 2022
    17. Nebraska January 28, 2022
    18. West Virginia March 4, 2022
    19. South Carolina March 29, 2022
    The John Birch Society is a grassroots education and action organization to return the Republic to the principles found in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. -- Join the Fight!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.