Thread: Why Democrats' Pack the Court Plans May Be Worse than We Think

Why Democrats' Pack the Court Plans May Be Worse than We Think

Why Democrats' Pack the Court Plans May Be Worse than We Think | Mike Lee | POLITICS | Rubin Report

Dave Rubin of “The Rubin Report” talks to Mike Lee, the U.S. Senator for Utah, about his book “Saving Nine”, the Democrats plan to pack the court, the possible identity of the Supreme Court leaker, why the REINS act may be the most important piece of unpassed legislation, and why some Republicans decided to vote for the controversial Ukraine spending bill. First, Mike discusses why the Democrats' demands to pack the Supreme Court are so incredibly dangerous. He clearly explains why any attempt to expand the amount of Supreme Court justices is destined to backfire.He also explains the massive damage done to the court the last time Supreme Court packing was tried by FDR. Next, Mike discusses Ketanji Brown Jackson’s Supreme Court confirmation process and on what grounds he would vote against a nominee. He also discusses the Supreme Court leak and some of the little known secrets that he learned when he was a Supreme Court clerk. He also explains why the Alito leak is such an unprecedented moment in the court’s history. Finally, Mike explains the dangers of the U.S. getting involved in the war in Ukraine and why the war powers act is so often disregarded in modern times. He also discusses how many more Americans have become conservative after being exposed to the realities of how much power bureaucracies like the CDC and the FDA have over their lives and how the REINS act would be an unprecedented weapon in regulatory reform.

0:00 Intro
    1:17 Sen. Mike Lee on Packing The Court
    11:22 What Can We Do?
    15:11 The Integrity of The Court is In Jeopardy
    21:10 Americans & Federalism
    25:38 Ukraine
    35:56 What Should Republicans Do?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The REINS Act:

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, U.S. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY), along with Senators Chuck Grassley (R-IA), Joni Ernst (R-IA), Todd Young (R-IN), Ted Cruz (R-TX), and 29 other cosponsors, reintroduced the “Regulations from the Executive in Need of Scrutiny” (REINS) Act to increase accountability and transparency in the federal regulatory process. Senator Paul has been lead Senate sponsor of the bill each Congress since 2011.

The REINS Act would rein in unelected federal bureaucrats by requiring that Congress affirmatively approve every new “major rule” proposed by the Executive Branch before it can be enforced on the American people, as opposed to the status quo, where regulations ultimately take effect unless Congress specifically disapproves.

“Last Congress, we made tremendous progress on relieving the burdens placed on the American people by unelected bureaucrats, but much more remains to be done. Passing the REINS Act would reassert Congress’ legislative authority and help us further reduce unnecessary, overreaching government interference in Americans’ everyday lives,” said Senator Paul.

“Even when well-intended, government regulations are all too often ineffective, counterproductive or even outright harmful. Heavy-handed Washington regulators frequently fail to understand the real-world effect of their actions. As the Constitution outlines, laws are written and passed by the people’s branch of government, not by unseen and unknown executive branch employees behind closed doors who can’t be voted out of office. Thankfully, the Trump administration has taken significant action to repeal burdensome regulations. But more needs to be done to reclaim the rightful role of Congress as the lawmaking body of government and restore democratic accountability for rules that impact the lives and livelihoods of Americans,” said Senator Grassley.

“We must increase transparency and hold regulatory agencies accountable to ensure they are upholding the congressional intent of our nation’s laws. The REINS Act gives Congress the authority to review sweeping rules and regulations and is a step in the right direction to rein-in burdensome, out-of-control government regulations that impact Iowans, and all Americans,” said Senator Ernst.

“We have made significant progress reining in costly, job-killing regulations since I first introduced the REINS Act in the House six years ago, but we still have more work to do to protect hardworking Americans. I will continue fighting for the passage of this common-sense legislation in the new Congress,” said Senator Young.

“In an age where unelected federal bureaucrats have unprecedented power to unilaterally invent binding, economically destructive federal regulations, the REINS Act is a necessary step in curbing this excessive power. If enacted, the REINS Act would be the most significant, far-reaching structural regulatory reform ever passed, and I will continue to fight for this important reform,” said Senator Cruz.

Reiterating current federal law, the bill defines a “major” rule as one that the Office of Management and Budget determines may result in an economic impact of $100 million or greater each year; “a major increase in costs or prices” for American consumers, government agencies, regions, or industries; or “significant adverse effects” on the economy.

By passing the REINS Act, the American people - through their elected officials - will once again have the final say on whether or not such rules are the right course for our future.

In the 115th Congress, the legislation passed the U.S. Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee on May 17, 2017, while the U.S. House passed Rep. Doug Collins’ (R-GA) companion legislation by a vote of 237-187 in January 2017.

You can read the Regulations from the Executive in Need of Scrutiny Act below:
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

i agree that te integrity of the court is in jeopardy . Kind of been that way for at least a little over 100 yrs.
    Do something Danke

Imagine what a Democratic Supreme Court would accomplish under this administration.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge