Thread: Solar Electricty

Solar Electricty

Anybody have it? Anyone do it themselves? What should I know if I were thinking about it?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged View Post
    Anybody have it? Anyone do it themselves? What should I know if I were thinking about it?
    What are you looking to accomplish?

Solar vs grid power is not even comparable on quality or cost.

Totally off grid? Batteries are really costly....Just saying...

Getting it..

Expensive set up,,Long term benefit.

and it depends on system,,there are several..
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    What are you looking to accomplish?

Solar vs grid power is not even comparable on quality or cost.

Totally off grid? Batteries are really costly....Just saying...
    The system the kids are getting is grid connected,, but should be capable of off grid for extended outages.. (I'm still suggesting a backup)

added to Mortgage,,,and cost is only 10k over the instant equity.

trading the Electric Bill for the mortgage payment..so out of pocket is 0.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 05-28-2022 at 02:39 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Lots of people get onto solar thinking they can "sell back" to the grid at the same price they're paying.... They do some fancy math (usually with the 'help' of a salesman) and figure they'll be paying less than they are now by using the grid as their battery bank.

If I were looking to go 'off grid' I'd personally use water generation turbine(s) see; https://www.youtube.com/c/KrisHarbour

GAF has come out with a solar roof that actually works unlike Tesla's leaky endeavor.

Battery technology is changing quickly, this guy stays abreast; https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/

[edit]

Here's another guy that does panel installation and battery banks; https://www.youtube.com/c/PracticalpreppersLLC
    Last edited by tod evans; 05-28-2022 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    The system the kids are getting is grid connected,, but should be capable of off grid for extended outages.. (I'm still suggesting a backup)

added to Mortgage,,,and cost is only 10k over the instant equity.

trading the Electric Bill for the mortgage payment..so out of pocket is 0.
    Be sure they check pending legislation where they're building.
    Power companies are fighting back against legislation that treats them unfairly, like forced buy-back at sales price.

Be sure they check pending legislation where they're building.
    Power companies are fighting back against legislation that treats them unfairly, like forced buy-back at sales price.
    It is being Promoted here.. it was fought in Michigan.

some Power Lords don't like losing control.. or profits. I think Distributed power generation could be an overall boost to the Grid. .
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Lots of people get onto solar thinking they can "sell back" to the grid at the same price they're paying.... They do some fancy math (usually with the 'help' of a salesman) and figure they'll be paying less than they are now by using the grid as their battery bank.

If I were looking to go 'off grid' I'd personally use water generation turbine(s) see; https://www.youtube.com/c/KrisHarbour

GAF has come out with a solar roof that actually works unlike Tesla's leaky endeavor.

Battery technology is changing quickly, this guy stays abreast; https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/

[edit]

Here's another guy that does panel installation and battery banks; https://www.youtube.com/c/PracticalpreppersLLC
    There was a whole community in the Keys that was off grid..until it was forced on them a few years back.

Granted,Solar works better there...
    All of this tech has improved in the last 20 years.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    It is being Promoted here.. it was fought in Michigan.

some Power Lords don't like losing control.. or profits. I think Distributed power generation could be an overall boost to the Grid. .
    I can see both sides of the generation/grid-use argument..

In the end I always revert back to "Everything government gets involved in it $#@!s up"...

Legislating commerce just doesn't make sense to me.

I can see both sides of the generation/grid-use argument..

In the end I always revert back to "Everything government gets involved in it $#@!s up"...

Legislating commerce just doesn't make sense to me.
    Nope,,

In a free Market several alternatives would not have been stiffed for 100 years.

Nor subsidized now..

I would rather win by simply producing a superior product.

Last edited by pcosmar; 05-28-2022 at 03:13 PM.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

What I am gathering is that this year there is somewhere around a 25% tax credit and when connected to the grid you can sign a contract that allows you to send unused electricity to the grid and get it back at no cost when you need it. We use around 1500KW hours per month. Our electric bill alone is hovering $400 and we don't even have electric hot water or heat or run AC.

What I am gathering is that this year there is somewhere around a 25% tax credit and when connected to the grid you can sign a contract that allows you to send unused electricity to the grid and get it back at no cost when you need it. We use around 1500KW hours per month. Our electric bill alone is hovering $400 and we don't even have electric hot water or heat or run AC.
    Do more research.

Tech is improving on all fronts.. pushed by off grid folks more than government,,until just recently.

Several Panel makers.. and deals mixed with the usual scammers.

Also different Storage units (Powerwall).. several makers aside from Tesla.

I have a recommendation.. add a Hydrogen Generator. The solar panels produce more power than you use at some times.. That excess power can be stored for later use.. (Gray Days,Snow) when needed the hydrogen produces Electricity.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I would not buy a solar package that did not allow you to be off grid. I have enough solar panels and deep cycle batteries to operate my hot water, well pump, internet and, refrigerator. I have a propane range and gas logs plus wood heat. I also have solar chargers for computers ect. I am still hooked to the grid. I am part of an electric co-op that has a large solar farm and is getting bigger. I do some off grid only solar sales.

What exactly is your intention? Are you trying to go completely off the grid?
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Solar was turned on today around 10:30am. Generated 57.4KW since turned on. My guess is tomorrow will generate close to 100KWH.

Solar was turned on today around 10:30am. Generated 57.4KW since turned on. My guess is tomorrow will generate close to 100KWH.
    Cool!
    How are you storing it?
    A quick google showed 12 cents khr average cost from the grid....Given that how long to break even?

Cool!
    How are you storing it?
    A quick google showed 12 cents khr average cost from the grid....Given that how long to break even?
    We get full retail which includes supply and delivery charges plus couple extra cents. So for me it is close to $0.30 per kwh. I use 18,000kwh per year. At current rate system paid for in 8 years.

No battery storage at this time.

I have Enphase IQ8 micro-inverters and without too much additional cost it can be set up to provide power when sun out and grid down.