Thread: Texas Forces Companies to Be Neutral on Guns, or Lose Business

Texas Forces Companies to Be Neutral on Guns, or Lose Business

In June of 2021 Governor Greg Abbott singed a bill in Texas giving those in the firearms industry the same protections as those the government shields from racism, sexism, ageism, or other forms of prejudice. That meant companies which wanted to do business with government agencies in Texas had to show they did not engage in any discriminatory practices which were designed to target those involved in the firearms industry. The law became the model for other similar bills in other republican states.

As a result, as activists attempt to reignite a debate over gun control following various shootings, businesses have been hesitant to make any statements regarding the issue for fear of alienating activists on one side, or closing off business opportunities on the other. In addition as anti-gun activists attempt to bring pressure on businesses which offer services to the gun industry, those businesses will tend to resist such pressures in order to maintain the ability to work with Texas governments.

“Texas has pro-gun legislation which clearly makes a statement at ensuring that the firearms industry is well protected,” said Janice Iwama, a professor at American University.

The National Shooting Sports Foundation has been attempting to encourage other states to enact legislation like Texas’, contending that gun companies must have access to services such as banking, and this is the only way to assure those services remain available. Lawmakers in Oklahoma and Louisiana have similar bills advancing, and additional measures are being introduced elsewhere.

More at: https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...lose-business/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I would like to see every company in Texas(as well as every other state) have a pro gun stance.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

I'm not for government involvement but if they're already picking winners and losers, how else do you counter it?

"An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government" - Ron Paul.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you arent allowed to criticize."

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    I'm not for government involvement but if they're already picking winners and losers, how else do you counter it?

Yup. In the current political environment, this is a good thing
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

The legitimate function of government is to protect your rights.
    In our current globalist corporatism that includes protecting them from banksters.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

By repealing existing laws.
    There is nothing to fear from globalism, free trade and a single worldwide currency, but a globalism where free trade is competitively subsidized by each nation, a continuous trade war is dictated by the WTO, and the single currency is pure fiat, fear is justified. That type of globalism is destined to collapse into economic despair, inflationism and protectionism and managed by resurgent militant nationalism.
    Ron Paul
    Congressional Record (March 13, 2001)

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Man View Post
    ^^^^^^^ This! ^^^^^^

1934 or 1913 ?

some will resist the correction.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    1934 or 1913 ?

some will resist the correction.
    That's true. I don't believe that the government getting on the right course is ever likely to happen.

I just also don't think that this pessimism should prevent me from being able to say what the right course is.
    There is nothing to fear from globalism, free trade and a single worldwide currency, but a globalism where free trade is competitively subsidized by each nation, a continuous trade war is dictated by the WTO, and the single currency is pure fiat, fear is justified. That type of globalism is destined to collapse into economic despair, inflationism and protectionism and managed by resurgent militant nationalism.
    Ron Paul
    Congressional Record (March 13, 2001)

That's true. I don't believe that the government getting on the right course is ever likely to happen.

I just also don't think that this pessimism should prevent me from being able to say what the right course is.
    There is a movement,, and it could use some Growth. It has a good direction.

1776 Restoration Movement.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

[...] companies which wanted to do business with government agencies [...]
    Outside of buying office supplies and military equipment, government should not be in the business of "doing business" with anyone in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    ^^^^^^^ This! ^^^^^^
    ^^^^^^^ Ditto! ^^^^^^

More government is never a solution for too much government.

The only thing "more government" ever does is expand the problem domain.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Outside of buying office supplies and military equipment, government should not be in the business of "doing business" with anyone in the first place.

^^^^^^^ Ditto! ^^^^^^

More government is never a solution for too much government.

The only thing "more government" ever does is expand the problem domain.
    I'm fine with "more government" at this point if it pisses off the left.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    I'm fine with "more government" at this point if it pisses off the left.
    As gratifying as pissing off the left can be (and I enjoy it immensely, myself), if we're going to get "more government" anyway, we need just the opposite - "more government" that pisses off the right/non-left. Anything else just mitigates the impulse for separation.