Thread: and the winner of the Georgia primaries is . . .

and the winner of the Georgia primaries is . . .

the mainstream media.

Kemp still in.

Raffensburger still in.

Carr still in.

and the media is gloating.

Vernon Jones in a runoff.

MTG holds firm (I expect a very nasty campaign against her in November).

Herschel is a resounding success of the non-establishment GOP, despite never having shown up for a debate and I personally do not think he is a strong candidate, but we love football here in GA and football will save the country, probably, maybe.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 05-25-2022 at 06:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hopefully the winner of Georgia will not be Stacy Abrams.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/op...d-FeedRedesign

The plot thickens with cross-over voting in Georgia primaries

[my comment: it is an opinion piece but seems plausible. I was planning to cross over and vote for Tulsi in 2020 for the GA primary but she dropped out before the GA primary date. I wouldn't have voted for her in the general but almost anyone would have been better than Biden. Not saying this is illegal in open-primary states, but it is telling that a good portion of Kemp/Raffen/Carr support could very well have come from democrats who want to see them defeated in November. So now we really have to hold our noses, and the duopoly loves it.]
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Hopefully the winner of Georgia will not be Stacy Abrams.
    If democrats get control of these voting machines there won't be another republican victory in this state ever again. Secretary of State might be even a more important race than governor.
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.

The Perdue loss is great news, and a big defeat for Trump and his lockdowns!
    There is nothing to fear from globalism, free trade and a single worldwide currency, but a globalism where free trade is competitively subsidized by each nation, a continuous trade war is dictated by the WTO, and the single currency is pure fiat, fear is justified. That type of globalism is destined to collapse into economic despair, inflationism and protectionism and managed by resurgent militant nationalism.
    Ron Paul
    Congressional Record (March 13, 2001)

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Man View Post
    The Perdue loss is great news, and a big defeat for Trump and his lockdowns!
    Most if not all of the candidates he endorsed in Georgia do not approve of lockdowns.

Believe it or not, you can disagree with Trump. I notice he doesn't say much about vaccines at his rallies anymore, or he'll get booed. Seems like he is receptive to the expectations of his supporters.

If you think Perdue was a weak candidate, you'll get no argument from me on that point though. He was running on a family name and all Georgia really knows about him is that every building at the national fairgrounds has the Perdue name on it.
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Most if not all of the candidates he endorsed in Georgia do not approve of lockdowns.
    Perhaps. But his quarrel with Kemp goes back to Kemp lifting the lockdowns in Georgia against Trump's wishes. It appears to me that Georgians have sided with Kemp against Trump on that, and good for them. Suffice it to say, if Perdue and won, and if Trump became president again, the pressure for Perdue to do a better job of kowtowing to Trump on his next round of lockdowns, or whatever the communist fad of the day that Trump happens to push might be, would be high.
    There is nothing to fear from globalism, free trade and a single worldwide currency, but a globalism where free trade is competitively subsidized by each nation, a continuous trade war is dictated by the WTO, and the single currency is pure fiat, fear is justified. That type of globalism is destined to collapse into economic despair, inflationism and protectionism and managed by resurgent militant nationalism.
    Ron Paul

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Perhaps. But his quarrel with Kemp goes back to Kemp lifting the lockdowns in Georgia against Trump's wishes. It appears to me that Georgians have sided with Kemp against Trump on that, and good for them. Suffice it to say, if Perdue and won, and if Trump became president again, the pressure for Perdue to do a better job of kowtowing to Trump on his next round of lockdowns, or whatever the communist fad of the day that Trump happens to push might be, would be high.
    I don't think Trump would promote lockdowns again. Pretty much anyone with eyes can see that they did more damage than good.

But my focus isn't about Trump. It's about the establishment regaining a foothold in the void that Trump left behind. THAT is what I am most concerned about, as it has always been.

Every liberal media outlet in this state teamed up with the GOP Old Guard to keep anyone desiring an alternative from getting anywhere near a seat. You may not agree with the alternative, but surely you must agree that something must be done to break the stranglehold that the power brokers have over the process. And as Niemöller would say, 'first they came for the Trumpers, and I did not speak up.'

There are some real peculiarities about this primary. MTG gets about 70% of the vote, and yet the 14th district she represents goes solidly for Brad Raffensperger. Those two voter groups are unlikely to overlap. I'm not crying fraud (yet) but after the numbers have been crunched, I'd be curious to see how something like that happens. It's possible that the dems in her district requested a republican ballot to vote FOR MTG believing that she will be a joke and a pushover in November, and wanted to be sure that what they perceive to be the weakest candidate is on the ticket. However that might spell trouble for MTG if her support among (actual) republicans is not anywhere near 70%.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged View Post
    I think Purdue is a chicken.
    I call 'em "look pretty republicans". They aren't necessarily bad, it's just that they think their only purpose is to sit there and look pretty. Perdue doesn't campaign like he wants to be in office. There were far more deserving senate candidates who have stopped in every small town with or without a post office. They really wanted the votes. I hope Perdue is done honestly if that's as half-hearted as he's gonna work at it.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 05-25-2022 at 12:27 PM.
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    I don't think Trump would promote lockdowns again.
    He may not get the chance. But if his next power grab isn't that, it will be something else. If he's president again, he'll be a lame duck and will no longer feel any need to compromise his agenda in order to placate conservatives, which is pretty much the only reason for any of the actually good things he did in his first term.
    Ron Paul

He may not get the chance. But if his next power grab isn't that, it will be something else. If he's president again, he'll be a lame duck and will no longer feel any need to compromise his agenda in order to placate conservatives, which is pretty much the only reason for any of the actually good things he did in his first term.
    That could also apply to Kemp, you know. Time will tell.
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.