Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Stock Market Collapse Starts Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    be nice to at least see some elected officials talking about cutting spending on defense , food stamps , foreign aid etc i mean i know they are too scared to talk about medicaid etc but there is plenty of other places to start
    I think at some point inflation and the economy will be bad enough that spending cuts will be back on the table. I just don't think we've hit that point yet. I think we need actual inflation rates of maybe 20-30% and high unemployment before everyone is miserable enough to cut spending. There's that expression, "change happens when making a change is less painful than staying the same".

I think we're getting close to the Fed pivoting back to easy money. Another few months or so.

Also I read somewhere that the new thing may be for central banks to keep doing QE but raise rates. I think that may be a possibility because I think they can survive higher rates but can't go without QE. Like a person can live for awhile without food but they absolutely need water.
    Last edited by Madison320; 06-14-2022 at 11:24 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    The main driver of rising oil prices is the printing and borrowing over the last 12 years and neither party wants to fix that because it would require massive cuts in government spending.
    I'd argue the main driver of high oil prices is the hidden hand of the market making it as economically painful as possible to continue to operate ICE vehicles. Agenda 2030/Great Reset proponents want us out of ICE transportation.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    I'd argue the main driver of high oil prices is the hidden hand of the market making it as economically painful as possible to continue to operate ICE vehicles. Agenda 2030/Great Reset proponents want us out of ICE transportation.
    Well since I didn't attend the 2030 Great Reset Meeting I'm just going to assume oil is actually not going up, the dollar is actually going down because we increased the money supply by 9 times in the last 12 years.

The main driver of rising oil prices is the printing and borrowing over the last 12 years and neither party wants to fix that because it would require massive cuts in government spending.
    There are short drivers and long term drivers. Monetary inflation is a tide that lifts all boats, so it is always a factor. It has become much more of a factor with the massive government spending (and subsequent money creation).

But the price of any given item or commodity can move independent of monetary inflation. Supply and demand are the main drivers of the price of any given item.

The WEF scammers, the Cult of Climate Change and their puppets in the Biden Administration have intentionally cut the supply of oil, leading to price increases. The big problem here being that energy is a special product that goes into the cost of almost every single other product. It has a drastic effect on the entire economy, It's like inflation combined with a huge tax increase on the economy. In the current short term, it is probably the biggest factor.

Printing money can often be contained in certain hands and specific areas of the economy. They have been doing it for decades. But energy price increases immediately flow out into the broader economy, in a shorter timeframe. And we probably haven't seen anything yet. These increasing energy prices are just starting to have their effect.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    There are short drivers and long term drivers. Monetary inflation is a tide that lifts all boats, so it is always a factor. It has become much more of a factor with the massive government spending (and subsequent money creation).

But the price of any given item or commodity can move independent of monetary inflation. Supply and demand are the main drivers of the price of any given item.

The WEF scammers, the Cult of Climate Change and their puppets in the Biden Administration have intentionally cut the supply of oil, leading to price increases. The big problem here being that energy is a special product that goes into the cost of almost every single other product. It has a drastic effect on the entire economy, It's like inflation combined with a huge tax increase on the economy. In the current short term, it is probably the biggest factor.

Printing money can often be contained in certain hands and specific areas of the economy. They have been doing it for decades. But energy price increases immediately flow out into the broader economy, in a shorter timeframe. And we probably haven't seen anything yet. These increasing energy prices are just starting to have their effect.
    I agree that that Biden's policies limiting oil supply have made it worse, but I don't think it makes that much difference. Oil is a global commodity, plus it takes awhile for Biden's policies to take effect.

If Trump were still president we'd still be having the same problem. Maybe oil would be 118 instead of 120.

The root cause of the problem is government spending, which leads to printing, which leads to price increases.

We're close to our all time peak in oil production.
    https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/Le...s=MCRFPUS2&f=M

Global oil production peaked around 2019 at 85 million barrels a day. During covid it dropped to about 70 M barrels a day. Now it's back to about 80M. So oil prices have been going up as oil production has been increasing! But at the same time the money supply has been going up much faster than the oil supply which is why the price of oil is going up.

https://ycharts.com/indicators/world...oil_production

I saw a republican "spokesperson" trying to peddle the "all the inflation is Biden's fault because he's limiting oil supply" myth the other day on fox. Republicans have to try to pretend it's all oil supply and not money supply because Trump was the money printing king.

Now that being said I think Trump is "less bad" than Biden. No doubt about it. But we'd still be in almost the same situation if Trump were still president.
    Last edited by Madison320; 06-14-2022 at 02:49 PM.

Fed raises interest rate by 75-basis points in historic move to fight inflation

The Federal Reserve on Wednesday raised its benchmark interest rate by 75-basis points for the first time in nearly three decades as policymakers intensify their fight to cool red-hot inflation, a move that threatens to slow U.S. economic growth and exacerbate financial pressure on Americans.
    Officials also laid out an aggressive path of rate increases for the remainder of the year. New economic projections released after the two-day meeting showed policymakers expect interest rates to hit 3.4% by the end of 2022, which would be the highest level since 2008.
    More: https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/...flation-battle
    The real target was revealed when they raised I-Bond yields to 9.62%.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...ear/ar-AAYxC69

The U.S. stock market rout that has put U.S. equities in a bear market isn't just reducing the net worth of billionaires like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos. It's also taking a toll on Americans' retirement savings, wiping out trillions of dollars in value.

The selloff has erased nearly $3 trillion from U.S. retirement accounts, according to Alicia Munnell, director of the Center for Retirement Research at Boston College. By her calculations, 401(k) plan participants have lost about $1.4 trillion from their accounts since the end of 2021. People with IRAs — most of which are 401(k) rollovers — have lost $2 trillion this year.
    Almost like Pelosi and friends are taking money straight from retirement accounts and are giving to their cronies...

S&P500 close on 6-16-22:

Probably nothing....

(eta: this was the S&P500 low before the June-Sept rally. not a coincidence)
    Last edited by devil21; 09-27-2022 at 03:16 PM.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...ear/ar-AAYxC69

Almost like Pelosi and friends are taking money straight from retirement accounts and are giving to their cronies...
    I'm kinda thinking the opposite. I think Pelosi and friends net worth are getting decimated along with everyone else. Which is why I think the Fed is going to pivot from tight to easy at some point.

At some point the pain of recession is going to surpass the pain of inflation and the Fed is going to start easing again. Also people with large amounts in equities, like congressmen, are going to get hit harder by a collapsing stock market then by inflation. I'd almost guarantee they're going to put pressure on the Fed behind the scenes. Probably some really serious pressure if you know what I mean.

I'm kinda thinking the opposite. I think Pelosi and friends net worth are getting decimated along with everyone else. ...
    I would love to see the Pelosi's portfolio, and how it has changed in the past two years. I would not be surprised to see them completely out of equities. I personally know people who liquidated all equities before the crash started, and I would guess that the Pelosi’s did the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post

To see how this works, here is a magic trick. XLE is the energy sector ETF. 100% of its components are currently above the 10 day moving average. It might keep going up but it will likely give back any gains. of the next couple of weeks and then there will be a Business Insider or Marketwatch article talking about inflation fears easing or recession or Russia.

That worked as well as possible.

I am very leveraged long.

In my opinion and only my opinion, thinking in essentials is better. Washed out breadth and sentiment, steep yield curve and 90% down days followed by either 90% up day and/or two consecutive 80% up days is all that matters. Everything else is noise. I think this is pocket aces. No guarantees. No law against stocks dropping from here. But in my opinion one of the better opportunities in the last couple of years.
    This not so much. That said same view.

Two of the five lowest tick readings were in a four trading day stretch.

If the market doesn't go up big over the next 12 months, this will be the first time since 2008 where the crowd was right and panicking paid. 2008 was basically the only time where nothing worked. Maybe this Fed tightening is like 2008 and maybe there is some crisis brewing like with crypto but the odds are things will be unicorns and candy canes and the masses will lose again from panic.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 06-17-2022 at 09:30 AM.

I would love to see the Pelosi's portfolio, and how it has changed in the past two years. I would not be surprised to see them completely out of equities. I personally know people who liquidated all equities before the crash started, and I would guess that the Pelosi’s did the same.
    I'm sure Pelosi is using inside information to buy and sell specific stocks but I don't see how she's driving any of this collapse. Besides, where would she put her money? I saw this collapse coming a mile away, just check my posts over the last year. But I'm still taking a bath, just not as bad as most people. But as I've been saying I expect the Fed to reverse course, that's when I think the value stocks will go way up.

[IMG]
    If the market doesn't go up big over the next 12 months, this will be the first time since 2008 where the crowd was right and panicking paid. 2008 was basically the only time where nothing worked. Maybe this Fed tightening is like 2008 and maybe there is some crisis brewing like with crypto but the odds are things will be unicorns and candy canes and the masses will lose again from panic.
    I don't think this is like anything we've experienced in the past, at least not the US. That's because this time we have so much accumulated debt that we CAN'T fight price inflation without sending the economy into depression. Debt is an accumulation of mistakes made in the past. You can't just wish it away. I think the best case scenario is that we live with double digit inflation for 20 years or so until prices normalize to the fed's balance sheet. But that assumes no wars or disasters and that the govt slows spending dramatically.

The last 2 weeks the Fed has been expanding the balance sheet. It went up almost 20 billion this week. I've been reading that this might happen, the Fed may try to raise rates but also restart QE. I think that's because it's the only way to finance the debt without defaulting.

I'm sure Pelosi is using inside information to buy and sell specific stocks but I don't see how she's driving any of this collapse. Besides, where would she put her money? I saw this collapse coming a mile away, just check my posts over the last year. But I'm still taking a bath, just not as bad as most people. But as I've been saying I expect the Fed to reverse course, that's when I think the value stocks will go way up.
    Plenty of people just sit in cash. I prefer a combination of short term bonds and CDs right now. Three month to one year CDs pay better than any money market account.

And you can certainly limit the pain by getting into the right stocks. Solid dividend paying stocks haven't taken as much of a hit as the market indexes.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Plenty of people just sit in cash. I prefer a combination of short term bonds and CDs right now. Three month to one year CDs pay better than any money market account.

And you can certainly limit the pain by getting into the right stocks. Solid dividend paying stocks haven't taken as much of a hit as the market indexes.
    Sitting in cash you're losing at least 10% a year due to inflation. And you might miss the boat when the Fed pivots.

I totally agree about the solid dividend stocks, that's like 75% of what I own, mostly foreign companies.

GME is only down 11.5% in 2022. SPY down 23.4%.

Just sayin.....

(Share dividend rumors circulating also)
    Last edited by devil21; 06-17-2022 at 03:07 PM.

GME is only down 11.5% in 2022. SPY down 23.4%.

Just sayin.....

(Share dividend rumors circulating also)
    Gamestop has dedicated shareholders...

Sitting in cash you're losing at least 10% a year due to inflation. And you might miss the boat when the Fed pivots.

I totally agree about the solid dividend stocks, that's like 75% of what I own, mostly foreign companies.
    I am sitting on some cash from some property sale a few months back. Am happy to lose the 10% to inflation for the present time. I considered putting into my investment portfolio which is down 12% ytd. and the 10% inflation too.
    The big question is when do I move it into my portfolio, dollar cost average? See what the next few months and elections bring?
    Guess I’ll get out the old magic eight ball….
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Quote Originally Posted by sam1952 View Post
    I am sitting on some cash from some property sale a few months back. Am happy to lose the 10% to inflation for the present time. I considered putting into my investment portfolio which is down 12% ytd. and the 10% inflation too.
    The big question is when do I move it into my portfolio, dollar cost average? See what the next few months and elections bring?
    I had been dollar cost averaging into tech and dividend funds before the big crash started, thinking it may have been near a bottom (sold most of the vulnerable stocks before the crash). I guess I'll return to that again at some point. It will be hard to call, and I don't think we have seen all of the downward spiral yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sam1952 View Post
    I'd rather be earning a dividend at 5% in a solid company that makes a profit or buy some gold rather than sitting in cash or a bond. I think when the Fed pivots back to easy money the price moves could be massive.

I bought a bunch of oil stocks when it was almost nothing a year or two back, now I'm wondering when to sell some. I think oil is going to at least $200 a barrel when the Fed pivots but I'm afraid of what the govt will do, oil companies are pretty much public enemy number one. There might be draconian stuff going down. Even on this forum there's a lot of people who think oil is somehow community property and therefore the govt should control it, like force US oil companies to only sell within the US. My thought is that farming may be safer, it's not as hated of an industry.

Actually I am invested in energy. I’m not a buyer at these prices. Look what happened to natural gas after the fire at the Freeport facility. Down roughly 30% in a few days. That directly affects me. I do own precious metals. Am up with my slv and down in my pplt etfs. I’ll consider adding but am just sitting tight for now. Am not concerned about sitting in some cash for the short term.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

That worked as well as possible.

This not so much. That said same view.

Two of the five lowest tick readings were in a four trading day stretch.

Was the exact low date in the markets. Scaled out into this rally. Have a 10% position left. I think you can make a strong argument for a big selloff and for a sustained rally here. Wasn't a very good trade from when this thread started until now. Slight winner here based on how I scaled out and that I used biotech and the Nasdaq but lot of headache. Fed day should be telling this week. I got lit up buying speculative stocks this week despite the indices being up. That is often a canary in the coal mine.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Was the exact low date in the markets. Scaled out into this rally. Have a 10% position left. I think you can make a strong argument for a big selloff and for a sustained rally here. Wasn't a very good trade from when this thread started until now. Slight winner here based on how I scaled out and that I used biotech and the Nasdaq but lot of headache. Fed day should be telling this week. I got lit up buying speculative stocks this week despite the indices being up. That is often a canary in the coal mine.
    You can continue to play the markets like you have been.....until the customary equinox crash period. Art Cashin (lol head of UBS trading....get the inside joke? art (of) cash in....the roman commercial legal name game...your name is whatever you want it to be) spilled the beans on CNBC last equinox....

As of course is tradition.

Last edited by devil21; 10-16-2022 at 01:29 AM.

I didn't trade this well and feel like $#@! but optimists triumphed over doomers again. Biotech up 50% off the low and Nasdaq up 20%.

Buying panic has worked for the last 300 years.

And remember food and oil price doom? Cure for high prices was high prices.

The cycles will repeat forever and the lessons will never get learned because the markets create just enough doubt to make participating in them scary and uncertain because "this time is different". Never is.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 08-07-2022 at 01:07 PM.

I didn't trade this well and feel like $#@! but optimists triumphed over doomers again. Biotech up 50% off the low and Nasdaq up 20%.

Buying panic has worked for the last 300 years.

And remember food and oil price doom? Cure for high prices was high prices.

The cycles will repeat forever and the lessons will never get learned because the markets create just enough doubt to make participating in them scary and uncertain because "this time is different". Never is.
    I’ve been nibbling at tech. Mostly been buying short term CDs, and as they mature, will continue dollar cost averaging back.

Just the customary last rally to sucker in bagholders before the rug is pulled next month. As far as trading goes I've taken a couple small positions in monkeypox stocks, along with one of the meme stocks that's tied to GME via swaps (bbby). Also, been regretting not jumping on puts for a couple symbols I knew were going to tank but I'm very risk averse. Would have made a bundle if I had followed through on them, though. Oh well.
    Last edited by devil21; 08-08-2022 at 08:18 AM.

Hmmm...

Hmmm...

Not that I put a ton of stock in these things but Sentiment cycle in equities playing out pretty close to the template in the first chart. Looks to me like we're at aversion with some downside and chop for a month or so. The second chart is a composite of three different cycles labeled.

Things that don't matter: what the Pope says about the stock market.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 08-28-2022 at 11:38 AM.

Hmmm...
    Same liquidation operation that kicked off the 08 crash, also in September of that year. What started the 08 crash was the Vatican pulling massive amounts of cash from US money market mutual funds. It caused liquidity problems and credit markets started to lock up. Remember Dow -777?

https://www.biblestudy.org/bibleref/...bible/777.html

The rest is history.
    Last edited by devil21; 08-28-2022 at 07:31 PM.

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast