Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roe v Wade overturned ?

Roe v Wade overturned ?

10 key passages from Alito's draft opinion, which would overturn Roe v. Wade

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...sages-00029470

Justice Samuel Alito’s draft opinion, which would overturn Roe v. Wade, wages a frontal assault on the reasoning of the landmark 1973 opinion that found a federal constitutional right to abortion.

Alito’s draft is labeled as a proposed majority opinion, though the wording of the court’s ultimate ruling and the line-up of justices who support it could change before final release, expected by late June or early July.

Here are 10 important passages in the draft opinion:

“We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled. The Constitution makes no reference to abortion, and no such right is implicitly protected by any constitutional provision....”
    “Roe was egregiously wrong from the start. Its reasoning was exceptionally weak, and the decision has had damaging consequences. And far from bringing about a national settlement of the abortion issue, Roe and Casey have enflamed debate and deepened division. It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.”
    “In the years prior to [Roe v. Wade], about a third of the States had liberalized their laws, but Roe abruptly ended that political process. It imposed the same highly restrictive regime on the entire Nation, and it effectively struck down the abortion laws of every single State. … [I]t represented the ‘exercise of raw judicial power’… and it sparked a national controversy that has embittered our political culture for a half-century.”
    “The inescapable conclusion is that a right to abortion is not deeply rooted in the Nation’s history and traditions. On the contrary, an unbroken tradition of prohibiting abortion on pain of criminal punishment persisted from the earliest days of the common law until 1973.”
    “In some States, voters may believe that the abortion right should be more even more [sic] extensive than the right Casey and Roe recognized. Voters in other States may wish to impose tight restrictions based on their belief that abortion destroys an ‘unborn human being.’ ... Our nation’s historical understanding of ordered liberty does not prevent the people’s elected representatives from deciding how abortion should be regulated.”
    “We have long recognized, however, that stare decisis is ‘not an inexorable command,’ and it ‘is at its weakest when we interpret the Constitution.’ It has been said that it is sometimes more important that an issue ‘be settled than that it be settled right.’ But when it comes to the interpretation of the Constitution — the ‘great charter of our liberties,’ which was meant ‘to endure through a long lapse of ages,’ we place a high value on having the matter ‘settled right.’”
    “On many other occasions, this Court has overruled important constitutional decisions. … Without these decisions, American constitutional law as we know it would be unrecognizable, and this would be a different country.”
    ”Casey described itself as calling both sides of the national controversy to resolve their debate, but in doing so, Casey necessarily declared a winning side. … The Court short-circuited the democratic process by closing it to the large number of Americans who dissented in any respect from Roe. … Together, Roe and Casey represent an error that cannot be allowed to stand.”
    “Roe certainly did not succeed in ending division on the issue of abortion. On the contrary, Roe ‘inflamed’ a national issue that has remained bitterly divisive for the past half-century....This Court’s inability to end debate on the issue should not have been surprising. This Court cannot bring about the permanent resolution of a rancorous national controversy simply by dictating a settlement and telling the people to move on. Whatever influence the Court may have on public attitudes must stem from the strength of our opinions, not an attempt to exercise ‘raw judicial power.’”
    “We do not pretend to know how our political system or society will respond to today’s decision overruling Roe and Casey. And even if we could foresee what will happen, we would have no authority to let that knowledge influence our decision. We can only do our job, which is to interpret the law, apply longstanding principles of stare decisis, and decide this case accordingly. We therefore hold that the Constitution does not confer a right to abortion. Roe and Casey must be overruled, and the authority to regulate abortion must be returned to the people and their elected representatives.”
    – Citations to other decisions and authorities have been omitted from these excerpts. Italics are presented as they appear in the draft opinion.
    Last edited by tod evans; 05-02-2022 at 07:19 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Get ready boys. This is going to be the catalyst for a very violent and rioting summer.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Get ready boys. This is going to be the catalyst for a very violent and rioting summer.
    Born ready...

Cool beans! maybe they will secede?

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Women like this are outraged and foaming at the mouth right now.

"Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    Cool beans! maybe they will secede?
    on second thought...we should plant this seed into their heads!

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Time to invest in pussy hats.

Women like this are outraged and foaming at the mouth right now.

To think, someone stuck a dick in that at least 21 times.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    To think, someone stuck a dick in that at least 21 times.
    She should do the world a favor and be the 22nd abortion.

Calvin Coolidge

The least they could do is rule that biological men that have transitioned into females cannot have abortions.

So, we're now going to get screeched at by a bunch of neo-marxist white women about how it's "MY BODY MY CHOICE" after just enduring two years of being mandated by government, against the will of millions of people, to wear useless masks and get injected with dangerous and worthless "vaccines"...with the full support of these same neo-marxist white women.

Take your pussy hats and stuff your head inside them...literally, go $#@! yourselves.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Last edited by Occam's Banana; 05-03-2022 at 04:05 AM.

Only way D’s can win in November is if this is main issue.

Quote Originally Posted by vita3 View Post
    Only way D’s can win in November is if this is main issue.
    I think gas at $20 per gallon and food shortages are the road to the Democrats victory.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good start, but not good enough. Next overturn the gay marriage ruling. Overturn the anti-sodomy ruling. Overturn the school prayer ruling. Never stop. The left doesn't.

FTA: https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...inion-00029473
    A person familiar with the court’s deliberations said that four of the other Republican-appointed justices – Clarence Thomas, Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett – had voted with Alito in the conference held among the justices after hearing oral arguments in December, and that line-up remains unchanged as of this week.

The three Democratic-appointed justices – Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan – are working on one or more dissents, according to the person. How Chief Justice John Roberts will ultimately vote, and whether he will join an already written opinion or draft his own, is unclear.
    https://twitter.com/RAZ0RFIST/status...82169037316096

This feels... Strange.

It seems like this may be a trial balloon to get people amped up and prepped for the less complete reversal that is coming. Who knows?

I am pretty distrustful of any corporate press release. Think I'll suspend my judgement until there's an official ruling.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    This feels... Strange.

It seems like this may be a trial balloon to get people amped up and prepped for the less complete reversal that is coming. Who knows?

I am pretty distrustful of any corporate press release. Think I'll suspend my judgement until there's an official ruling.
    Whatever the official ruling ends up being, a hornet's nest will have been kicked.

If the ruling holds, the left will be outraged and energized (for obvious reasons).

If it doesn't hold, the right will be outraged and energized (because a preliminary SCOTUS decision will apparently have been changed just in order to appease reaction).

IOW: Stock up on popcorn ...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Our nation's ideological self-segregation is proceeding nicely." -- Michael Malice

https://twitter.com/LPMisesCaucus/st...50051050033154

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Whatever the official ruling ends up being, a hornet's nest will have been kicked.

If the ruling holds, the left will be outraged and energized (for obvious reasons).

If it doesn't hold, the right will be outraged and energized (because a preliminary SCOTUS decision will apparently have been changed just in order to appease reaction).

IOW: Stock up on popcorn ...
    So, for now, I'm more interested in the leak than I am in the ruling.

There's the "Women's Health Protection Act" that was narrowly defeated in the Senate thanks to Manchin and Casey. Is this leak meant to pressure the left into Federal legislation on the issue?? I understand the ruling was due in June - was this leak an effort to make it a top issue for primary season?? Was it merely a trial balloon to soften the blow when the actual ruling comes down??

I don't know. But there really needs to be an investigation. This leak seems to be an attempt to manipulate the American public for political purposes.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    So, for now, I'm more interested in the leak than I am in the ruling.

There's the "Women's Health Protection Act" that was narrowly defeated in the Senate thanks to Manchin and Casey. Is this leak meant to pressure the left into Federal legislation on the issue?? I understand the ruling was due in June - was this leak an effort to make it a top issue for primary season?? Was it merely a trial balloon to soften the blow when the actual ruling comes down??

I don't know. But there really needs to be an investigation. This leak seems to be an attempt to manipulate the American public for political purposes.
    Leaks were common inside the Trump administration. Leaks are probably Standard Procedures these days.

Clearly more riots are required.

If a small amount of high level people cannot keep something quiet, how could a jury in a normal case be ordered and expected to?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    So, we're now going to get screeched at by a bunch of neo-marxist white women about how it's "MY BODY MY CHOICE" after just enduring two years of being mandated by government, against the will of millions of people, to wear useless masks and get injected with dangerous and worthless "vaccines"...with the full support of these same neo-marxist white women.

Take your pussy hats and stuff your head inside them...literally, go $#@! yourselves.
    You weren't paying attention. It's "My body, my choice. Your body, also my choice" They're very consistent with that.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast