Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Elon Musk buys Twitter for $44 billion

Twitter May Lose To Elon Musk Because Of Slavery

https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...se-of-slavery/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Musk Responds To Twitter’s Suit, Claims Bots Twice As Many As Twitter Claims

https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...witter-claims/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Musk Responds To Twitter’s Suit, Claims Bots Twice As Many As Twitter Claims

https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...witter-claims/
    I didn't read the article so I am commenting on the headline. The problem with the headline is it puts Musk into a corner. It says "Claims Bots Twice as many as Twitter Claims." What happens if it isn't twice as many? He should have been less specific. Way more than claimed or simply more than previously stated. What happens is the narrative goes from twitter to simply Musk was wrong there wasn't twice as many......

Quote Originally Posted by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged View Post
    I didn't read the article so I am commenting on the headline. The problem with the headline is it puts Musk into a corner. It says "Claims Bots Twice as many as Twitter Claims." What happens if it isn't twice as many? He should have been less specific. Way more than claimed or simply more than previously stated. What happens is the narrative goes from twitter to simply Musk was wrong there wasn't twice as many......
    Read the article.
    It can only be worse for Twitter.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Elon Musk Sells $6.9 Billion In Tesla Stock

https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...n-tesla-stock/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Elon Musk Says Twitter Is Hiding Witnesses

https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...ing-witnesses/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Musk Only Granted One Witness From Twitter, But It Is A Fired Employee

https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...ired-employee/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Elon Musk’s Twitter Data Requests Rejected As “Absurdly Broad”

https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...bsurdly-broad/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I know nothing about the legal system but I wonder why such a long time between the concept of purchasing twitter to the reality of owning it. Could twitter have ended the deal? Should a person be forced to purchase something they don't want? If twitter is worth far less today than it was months ago what is its true value? If damages are justified that shouldn't equate to mandating Musk purchase twitter. If things were simpler and Musk offered to buy twitter for xyz billion and it was agreed and he paid all in short order, he would own twitter. In most instances when I sign a large commitment contract there is a waiting period before the transaction is solidified. I think that period of time is called right of recession. People back out of deals all the time. It would be great if the US government would back out of many deals. It seems to me if the transaction has not yet be completed it shouldn't be forced to be completed. As stated earlier had it happened quickly it would already be done.

Judge Criticizes Musk For Failure To Surrender All Relevant Texts In Twitter Case

https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...-twitter-case/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Elon Musk Says Whistleblower Payoff Violates Terms Of Twitter Deal

https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...-twitter-deal/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged View Post
    I know nothing about the legal system but I wonder why such a long time between the concept of purchasing twitter to the reality of owning it. Could twitter have ended the deal? Should a person be forced to purchase something they don't want? If twitter is worth far less today than it was months ago what is its true value? If damages are justified that shouldn't equate to mandating Musk purchase twitter. If things were simpler and Musk offered to buy twitter for xyz billion and it was agreed and he paid all in short order, he would own twitter. In most instances when I sign a large commitment contract there is a waiting period before the transaction is solidified. I think that period of time is called right of recession. People back out of deals all the time. It would be great if the US government would back out of many deals. It seems to me if the transaction has not yet be completed it shouldn't be forced to be completed. As stated earlier had it happened quickly it would already be done.
    Because we live in a clown world where there is no sense of reason or logic, everything is the opposite of obvious right or wrong, nothing makes any sense.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    More info at this article:

Twitter Shareholders Vote Again To Sell To Elon Musk
    https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...-to-elon-musk/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Musk Revives $44 Billion Twitter Bid, Aiming to Avoid Trial
    Legal team for Musk sensed judge would not rule in favor
    Proposal likely eliminates need for court trial this month
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-54-20-a-shareJef Feeley, Ed Hammond, & Kurt Wagner (04 October 2022)

Elon Musk revived a bid to buy for Twitter Inc. at the original price of $54.20 a share, backtracking on his effort to quit the deal and potentially avoiding a contentious courtroom fight.

Musk made the proposal in a letter to Twitter on Monday, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission that confirmed a Bloomberg report. Shares of Twitter climbed 22% to $52 at the close in New York. San Francisco-based Twitter said it received the letter and intends to close the deal at the agreed-upon price, without commenting specifically on how it will respond to Musk.

For Twitter, proceeding with Musk’s plan augurs a future under a mercurial billionaire who has spent months publicly criticizing its management, questioning its value and changing his mind. It also means that his contested claims -- that Twitter was lying about which percentage of users were bots, for instance -- are not likely to be scrutinized in a court of law.

Musk had been trying for months to end his contract to acquire Twitter, signed in April. The billionaire began showing signs of buyer’s remorse shortly after the deal was announced, alleging that Twitter had misled him about the size of its user base and the prevalence of automated accounts known as bots.

Musk formally quit the accord in July and Twitter sued him in Delaware Chancery Court to force him to go forward with the purchase. A trial had been scheduled to begin Oct. 17. The judge in Delaware on Tuesday asked both sides to come back to her with a proposal on how the case can now proceed. The options include having Twitter seek to dismiss the case or have her continue to retain jurisdiction until the deal closes, said a person familiar with the matter.

In the letter, Musk’s attorneys wrote that he and his supporters “intend to proceed to closing of the transaction contemplated by the April 25, 2022, merger agreement, on the terms and subject to the conditions set forth therein.” The plan is also contingent on him lining up the necessary debt financing and the court issuing “an immediate stay of the action.” It’s a tough time for banks to sell debt. With yields at multiyear highs, banks led by Morgan Stanley could be on the hook for hundreds of millions of dollars of losses on the unsecured portion alone, should they attempt to unload it to investors.

In the run-up to the planned Delaware proceedings, lawyers for both sides have fired cannonades of subpoenas at each other aimed at teasing out testimony and evidence. Musk’s side needed to demonstrate that Twitter violated the terms of the deal. Twitter alleged that Musk used the bots issue as a pretext for backing out a deal he no longer found economically sound.

Musk’s legal team was getting the sense that the case was not going well, as Judge Kathaleen St. J. McCormick sided repeatedly with Twitter in pretrial rulings, according to one person familiar. Even with the late emergence of a Twitter whistleblower who alleged executives weren’t forthcoming on security and bot issues, there were concerns Musk’s side would not be able to prove a material adverse effect, the legal standard required to exit the contract.

Inside Twitter on Tuesday, many employees were sitting through 2023 planning presentations when the news first started to circulate, according to multiple sources. Presenters did not acknowledge the news, which staffers saw spreading on their own social network. Many employees have opposed the idea of working for Musk, who has been openly mocked and criticized on internal Slack channels since the deal was signed.

In an internal memo Tuesday to Twitter staff, viewed by Bloomberg News, General Counsel Sean Edgett thanked workers for their patience as the company works through the legal issues. “I will continue to keep you posted on significant updates,” he wrote. Trading of Twitter shares was halted after the news broke and didn’t resume until after the company confirmed receipt of Musk’s letter.

Twitter shareholders voted Sept. 13 to accept the buyout offer as Musk submitted it. The company said at the time that 98.6% of the votes cast were in favor of the deal. Musk, Twitter’s largest shareholder, didn’t vote at all, according to two people familiar with his decision. Musk owned almost 10% of Twitter -- more than 73 million shares -- when he agreed to acquire the company.

Musk was scheduled to answer questions about the deal in Austin, Texas, on Oct. 6-7, according to a court filing Tuesday. Twitter Chief Executive Officer Parag Agrawal was scheduled to sit down for his deposition Monday.

The case is Twitter v. Musk, 22-0613, Delaware Chancery Court (Wilmington).

Ben Collins (senior reporter @ NBC) whinging and FUDing about Musk buying Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/...43289216405506

Christopher Rufo's rebuttal to Collins:
    https://twitter.com/realchrisrufo/st...61445188431872

Glenn Greenwald's (absolutely savage) rebuttal to Collins:
    https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/statu...54192360030210

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As Musk Takes Over Twitter, It Could Affect Elections
    https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...ect-elections/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

As Musk Takes Over Twitter, It Could Affect Elections
    https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...ect-elections/
    In May, at a Financial Times Event, Musk had referred to the banning of the former President after the January 6th riots as “morally wrong,” promising to reverse the ban when he took over the company. In addition, in Musk’s text messages with CEO Parag Agrawal, which were revealed in Twitter’s lawsuit, Musk indicated he intended to reinstate all non-spam accounts which had been permanently banned, with the exception of any accounts which, “explicitly advocate violence.” Analysts note, this could have profound effects on both, the upcoming midterms, as well as the 2024 Presidential election.
    Why are you posting links to communist propaganda on the forum again?

And why does this person apply commas with a salt shaker?
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post

I think I know. Because anything containing T***p needs to be regurgitated.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Ben Collins (senior reporter @ NBC) whinging and FUDing about Musk buying Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/...43289216405506

Projection. I’ve found that it is a common human trait for people to assume that all others behave the same way they do. Thus criminals believe that everyone else is also a criminal. And these totalitarian leftists believe that everyone else is a totalitarian that just doesn’t have the power yet that they have to implement totalitarianism.

They are correct in that there are other criminals, but they use that as an excuse to silence all opposition.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

As I predicted, Musk will go ahead with the purchase and has already said he wants to turn Twitter into a Chinese style super-app. No doubt it will include the "ID-all-humans on the internet" digital initiative and incorporate the social credit score component, along with a "Green Pass/Vax Passport" component and a digital-only CBDC payment system. I wonder what Orwellian name they'll rebrand the app once it's ready for launch?

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post

I thought we figured out long ago that Swordy is a communist larping as a conservative. That handle has followed the Alinsky playbook to a tee ever since the handle showed up on RPF.

If you drill down from that piece into the background of Black(sic) Masters, advocated as being Musk's new Twitter policy enforcement head after takeover is complete, you find this gem on his Senate campaign page:

Abroad, we see the menace of authoritarian countries like China. Blake has an unrivaled understanding of how China uses technology to not only control and terrorize its own citizens, but also to steal our intellectual property and wage digital warfare against America.
    If you read that a certain way, it says he's also very, very qualified to implement such policies for Musk's Chinese style super-app.
    Last edited by devil21; 10-06-2022 at 01:50 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    If you read that a certain way, it says he's also very, very qualified to implement such policies for Musk's Chinese style super-app.
    Can't possibly be! Libtards are too dumb to know what's being done to them, who's their friend, and who's their foe. Even so, if libtard heads are sploding over something, it couldn't possibly be bad! Even if someone's fooling them, it just has to be good!!
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    “If you read that a certain way make stuff up because it suits your preferred narrative, it says he's also very, very qualified to implement such policies for Musk's Chinese style super-app stuff that suits your preferred narrative.”

LOL. Fixed.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 10-30-2022 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Quote clarification.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LOL. Fixed.
    How so? Musk plainly stated he wants to model his revamped Twitter after Chinese super-apps, which incorporate a social credit system, digital yuan payments, monitored communication, censorship, etc. If an expert on such Chinese apps is appointed to head up policy of Musk's new Chinese super app, wouldn't it stand to reason that such expert would also know intimately how to mimic one?
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Musk Says He Is Excited About Twitter Buyout, Though He Overpaid

https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...h-he-overpaid/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Elon Musk To Cut 75% Of Twitter’s Workforce

https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...ers-workforce/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Elon Musk To Cut 75% Of Twitter’s Workforce

https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...ers-workforce/
    Most of those are robots anyway.. Good on him.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Jer. 11:18-20. "The Kingdom of God has come upon you." -- Matthew 12:28

US Weighs Security Reviews for Musk Deals, Including Twitter Buy
    Concerns over Musk’s stance on Russia, threat to cut Starlink
    Discussions at early stage as officials consider legal options
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ng-twitter-buy
    [archive link: https://archive.ph/Lsrif]
    Jennifer Jacobs & Saleha Mohsin (21 October 2022)

Biden administration officials are discussing whether the US should subject some of Elon Musk’s ventures to national security reviews, including the deal for Twitter Inc. and SpaceX’s Starlink satellite network, according to people familiar with the matter.

US officials have grown uncomfortable over Musk’s recent threat to stop supplying the Starlink satellite service to Ukraine -- he said it had cost him $80 million so far -- and what they see as his increasingly Russia-friendly stance following a series of tweets that outlined peace proposals favorable to President Vladimir Putin. They are also concerned by his plans to buy Twitter with a group of foreign investors.

The discussions are still at an early stage, the people familiar said on condition of anonymity. Officials in the US government and intelligence community are weighing what tools, if any, are available that would allow the federal government to review Musk’s ventures.

One possibility is through the law governing the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States to review Musk’s deals and operations for national security risks, they said.

The interagency panel, known as CFIUS, reviews acquisitions of US businesses by foreign buyers. It is not clear if a CFIUS review -- which would involve assessments by the Departments of State, Defense, and Homeland Security, among others -- would offer the government a legal way to conduct a review, the people said.

One element of the $44 billion Twitter deal that could trigger a CFIUS review is the presence of foreign investors in Musk’s consortium. The group includes Prince Alwaleed bin Talal of Saudi Arabia, Binance Holdings Ltd. -- a digital-asset exchange founded and run by a Chinese native -- and Qatar’s sovereign wealth fund.

The panel operates behind closed doors and rarely confirms when it is conducting reviews. CFIUS also holds the power to review deals that have already been consummated.

A US Treasury Department spokesperson said CFIUS does not publicly comment on any transactions that may or may not be under review.

Musk, the world’s richest person, has taken to Twitter in recent weeks to announce proposals to end Russia’s war and threaten to cut financial support for Starlink internet in Ukraine. His tweets and public comments have frustrated officials in the US and Europe and drawn praise from America’s rivals.

Musk later backed down from his threat to stop deploying Starlink and said he would continue to bear the costs of the service. Starlink has become an essential tool for communications in Ukraine during the Russian invasion. Musk has been providing the service for free but has said SpaceX loses $20 million a month providing it to Ukraine and he cannot be responsible for that cost indefinitely.

The US government would also use Starlink in the event of a telecommunications outage, according to people familiar with the matter.

Musk did not immediately respond to multiple e-mailed requests for comment.

He tweeted in reply to a fellow reader’s reaction to the Bloomberg article. “It would be hysterical if the government stopped Elon from over paying for Twitter ,” the reader tweeted. “,” Musk replied.

Widely known as the chief executive officer of electric automaker Tesla Inc., Musk is no stranger to Washington, where he is a major player in government contracts.

Musk forced his way into the business of military and intelligence satellite launches after lobbying vigorously in Congress and suing the US Air Force for the right to compete with a longstanding joint venture of defense giants Boeing Co. and Lockheed Martin Corp.

In 2019, the Pentagon said it was reviewing Musk’s federal security clearance after he smoked marijuana on a podcast, though the results of that investigation are unclear. A SpaceX official at the time, who asked not to be identified, said the review had not had an impact on the company.

SpaceX flies astronauts to the International Space Station as part of a long-standing partnership with NASA and launches top secret satellites for the Pentagon. The US Agency for International Development, or USAID, has also paid for some of SpaceX’s Starlink satellites that have made their way to Ukraine.

Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast