Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Elon Musk buys Twitter for $44 billion

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post

Yeah, well, those are exactly the kinds of things that "controlled opposition" would say about Elon Musk.

(See how that works?)

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Yeah, well, those are exactly the kinds of things that "controlled opposition" would say about Elon Musk.

(See how that works?)
    Yeah, that's definitely how that works. If there's one thing the species has learned, it's how to blow smoke in every direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonB View Post
    Prediction: Musk is serious. Tw@tter is certainly going to reject his bid and he will leverage the hoopla to launch his own alternative to Tw@tter, operating on the same non-profit pattern as OpenAI, which is a Musk alternative to DeepMind.

PS: Some folks on RPF have this idea that Tech = Evil. Tech, in itself, is not evil. We're using tech to communicate on RPF and this is solving one of the major organizational problems that libertarians were unable to solve in the 80's, 90's, etc. At that time, libertarians were saying, "If we only had a more effective way than monthly newsletters for libertarians to share ideas and resources, the movement will explode." Well, we have it, it's called the Internet, and the movement has exploded. The censorship on Tw@tter is no concern to me and causes me exactly zero grief for the simple reason that I don't use Tw@tter and never will. It's only a matter of time until a reasonable and widely-used alternative emerges.
    It is interesting to put it in libertarian terms. More than anything, the left and establishment want to censor libertarian thought. As long as you never take a libertarian stance on anything, you are free to say whatever you want on Twitter and social media. The outrage over Musk is directly due to his reputation for supposedly being libertarian.

Libertarianism is the true opposition to their racist, collectivist, centralized, Marxist, big government, welfare-warfare mommy state.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Yes, that's how they slid Trump under the radar, all right.

+1 for Second Hand Lions reference.... it's been decades since I watched that.

Doesn't matter if it's true or not, people need to believe it. That psychological property has been the basis of every con game ever concocted.
    But your analysis only pierces through the first level of truth and lies. On a real battlefield, what the troops believe, about whether they can win or not, can actually be the deciding factor in the battle, and often is. In his excellent book Strategy, BH Liddel Hart explain that the highest aim of the battlefield general is always the demoralization of the enemy troops. The lower-ranked battlefield officers may worry about cannons, flanks, artillery, troop movements, maneuvers, logistics, and so on, but it is the enemy morale which is the #1 target of the general. His primary aim and objective is always to convince the enemy troops that they cannot hope to win. The hard truth is that the globalists have not won, that evil has not taken over the world. Nearly so? Yes. But not completely. As long as there is one millimeter of space left within my own heart and mind to resist, the enemy has not won. That is the real truth, and that's because of the Gospel, which is something that is truly worth believing in.

Yes. Decent people exist.

No. In this day and age, not one of them is famous. Not one.

You're trying to fit Elon Musk through the eye of a needle.
    No, I'm saying that I think Elon Musk has gone down to Georgia for an infernal fiddling contest. Why is he doing it? Is it for our good? Is it to save the world? Or is it just to enrich and glorify himself? I don't know. He's not a believer (hopefully that changes) but, for as long he is not cooperating with the globalists, he is not against us and, thus, he is for us. As with anyone who is not actually committed to the cause of Christ, that could change at any time. But the Gospel is capable of pragmatism wherever someone does not make themselves an overt enemy of the name of Jesus.

How many times do we have to learn The Lesson of Ron Paul? I've said it until I'm blue in the face. Good people aren't famous. The good people Must Not Be Named. If they're famous, and say some of the right things sometimes, they're controlled opposition. "But they can't be ignored because they're rich" is an ignorant counter argument. There are rich people you never heard of. They aren't as rich as Musk, but how did he get as rich as Croesus? By being nice?

News flash--er, history flash: Croesus was an $#@!.

That's not FUD. It is fact. I don't despair over the fact that the people we can rely on aren't famous. I don't know why so many people are so shallow that they can't see that the Somebodies are nobody and the nobodies are often something special.
    It's an oversimplification. The will-to-power is not always lit from the flame of hostility towards mankind. It can also come from a relatively benign narcissism and, in fact, it often has. Wherever the will-to-power is not actively hostile to the general good of mankind, it can be allied with for pragmatic purposes. Such alliances are qualified, conditional, temporary and wholly pragmatic. But they are also necessary, a point that can be deduced from the sheer existence of the wicked State within the context of Matthew 28:18, "All power in heaven and earth has been given to me." If it were not necessary to tolerate the wicked for a time, they would have already been obliterated. They are not in the seat of power. They are being baited and led into the trap. In the meantime, they are spewing enemy psyop propaganda to demoralize anyone who stands up for what is good, true and beautiful. That is why the Gospel is not a "metaphorical" war, it's a literal war. It's just not fought with swords and firearms because the conquest of the Gospel is not by force, but by conscience.
    Last edited by ClaytonB; 04-15-2022 at 12:13 PM.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah, that's definitely how that works. If there's one thing the species has learned, it's how to blow smoke in every direction.
    Exactly. Which is why unfalsifiable accusations of "controlled opposition" are a flamethrower that can roast anyone it's pointed at.

If one wished to do so, one could make the case that Ron Paul is "controlled opposition". Hell, I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone had already done so. And then, of course, any person making such a case could in turn be accused of being "controlled opposition" - and so on and so forth. Rather than riding that endless merry-go-round, I would just break the cycle and say that if Ron Paul (or, yes, even Elon Musk) is "controlled opposition", then by God and sonny Jesus, we could do with more "controlled opposition" - a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    It is interesting to put it in libertarian terms. More than anything, the left and establishment want to censor libertarian thought. As long as you never take a libertarian stance on anything, you are free to say whatever you want on Twitter and social media. The outrage over Musk is directly due to his reputation for supposedly being libertarian.

Libertarianism is the true opposition to their racist, collectivist, centralized, Marxist, big government, welfare-warfare mommy state.
    And then there's the fact that even someone with ulterior motives for insincerely advocating genuinely libertarian ideals would nevertheless still be advocating genuinely libertarian ideals. It doesn't take a Clausewitz or a Sun Tzu to realize that's not a particularly good strategy if one's objective is to suppress or thwart the expression of libertarian ideals. Quite the opposite - which is precisely why so many enemies of liberty are screeching so hysterically about Elon Musk right now (entirely regardless of whatever Musk's motives or purposes might actually be).
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 04-15-2022 at 01:11 PM.

Agreed. And if you're in the mood for a real dressing-down, try standing for the raw, unfiltered teachings of Jesus and see what happens.

China To Christians: We’re Rewriting The Bible, And You’ll Use It Or Else (The Federalist, October 26, 2020)

What I mean [when I say the corporate press is "un-self-aware"] is that they are oblivious to the fact that they are no longer the potent and powerful curators of public discourse that they once were but still imagine themselves to be. The days when an avuncular Walter Cronkite could tell you "that's the way it is" and be taken seriously at his word are long over. Every time they peddle some asinine bit of nonsense [...], they think they are advancing their cause, but they are actually just exposing their increasingly desperate impotence for all to see.

And see it they will. We have the Internet, social media, and "Big Tech" (despite themselves) to thank for that fact. They are being hoisted on their own petard, and they simply don't know what to do about it [...]

It's a glorious thing to behold.
    Uncle Walter's nephew chimes in ...

https://twitter.com/GlenBradley/stat...31090481799170

Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonB View Post
    ...the highest aim of the battlefield general is always the demoralization of the enemy troops. No, I'm saying that I think Elon Musk has gone down to Georgia for an infernal fiddling contest. Why is he doing it? Is it for our good? Is it to save the world? Or is it just to enrich and glorify himself? I don't know. He's not a believer (hopefully that changes) but, for as long he is not cooperating with the globalists, he is not against us and, thus, he is for us...

As with anyone who is not actually committed to the cause of Christ, that could change at any time...
    No argument. But what better method is there for demoralizing people than to hold someone up to fame and fortune as a savior, then beat him? Or better still, have him betray you? Trump, 9iu11iani's Great Investigation, etc. have all demoralized who you and I consider to be Our Troops.

Elon Musk's title should be Speaker of Truth at the Moment. Not Savior.

I think that's important to say, simply, succinctly and often.

Uncle Walter's nephew chimes in ...

https://twitter.com/GlenBradley/stat...31090481799170
    Like toilet paper, legacy media is a One Time Abuse Product.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 04-15-2022 at 12:49 PM.
    We believe our lying eyes...

Twitter adopts poison pill in bid to thwart Elon Musk takeover
    https://www.axios.com/twitter-elon-m...081557a84.html
    Jacob Knutson & Sara Fischer (15 April 2022)

Twitter's board on Friday enacted a defensive measure meant to deter Elon Musk's $43 billion hostile takeover bid.

Why it matters: The "poison pill," as it's called in corporate terms, gives Twitter's existing shareholders time to purchase additional shares at a discount, thus diluting Musk's ownership stake.

How it works: The move is designed to make it difficult for anyone, including Musk, to build a stake worth more than 15% of the company.

• A poison pill gives existing shareholders the ability to purchase additional shares in the company at a discount, which in turn dilutes the stake of the person or party seeking to buy the company.

The big picture: Musk disclosed a 9.2% stake in Twitter earlier this month.

• He then announced he was joining the company's board of directors and began proposing several changes to the platform, including turning the company's headquarters into a homeless shelter.
    • Musk has repeatedly said he believes Twitter is "failing to adhere to free speech principles," and even proposed creating a rival platform, on which "free speech and adhering to free speech is given top priority."
    • He later backed out of joining the board and offered to purchase the company for $54.20 a share, though he did not specify how he planned to pay for it.

What they're saying: Twitter said in a statement that "its Board of Directors has unanimously adopted a limited duration shareholder rights plan. ... The Board adopted the Rights Plan following an unsolicited, non-binding proposal to acquire Twitter."

• "The Rights Plan will reduce the likelihood that any entity, person or group gains control of Twitter through open market accumulation without paying all shareholders an appropriate control premium or without providing the Board sufficient time to make informed judgments and take actions that are in the best interests of shareholders," the company added.

No argument. But what better method is there for demoralizing people than to hold someone up to fame and fortune as a savior, then beat him? Or better still, have him betray you? Trump, 9iu11iani's Great Investigation, etc. have all demoralized who you and I consider to be Our Troops.
    I guess that's why I keep suggesting that we think of these people as "onramps" to the real Movement. If you show up to a MAGA/Trump rally and leave with a church pamphlet and realize you need to get serious about your spiritual life which you have left in utter neglect since your teenage years, or whatever, that's a net win. Does that mean that MAGA/Trump should receive unqualified backing/endorsement? Of course not. But as long as they are generating tailwind for the Kingdom/Gospel, I'll take it. This period of pragmatism is itself temporary... eventually, we are going to come to the left-right razor of the judgment seat... one day, everyone will have to clearly choose whether they are on the side of the good, or evil. That's what Revelation is all about. But for now, the reality is that we are in a gray zone, and we are simply fools to refuse to add pragmatism to principle.

Elon Musk's title should be Speaker of Truth at the Moment. Not Savior.
    Agreed. We already have a Savior, we don't need any others.

Twitter adopts poison pill in bid to thwart Elon Musk takeover
    https://www.axios.com/twitter-elon-m...081557a84.html
    Jacob Knutson & Sara Fischer (15 April 2022)

Twitter's board on Friday enacted a defensive measure meant to deter Elon Musk's $43 billion hostile takeover bid.

Why it matters: The "poison pill," as it's called in corporate terms, gives Twitter's existing shareholders time to purchase additional shares at a discount, thus diluting Musk's ownership stake.

How it works: The move is designed to make it difficult for anyone, including Musk, to build a stake worth more than 15% of the company.

• A poison pill gives existing shareholders the ability to purchase additional shares in the company at a discount, which in turn dilutes the stake of the person or party seeking to buy the company.
    Doesn't this have the huge potential for backfire? I mean, I'm sure there were plenty of shareholders that were salivating at the prospects of the big buyout. Now, if they can purchase additional shares and give their proxies to Musk, they can make out even better. Obviously, this takes some coordination, but in the modern era, coordination like this is increasingly feasible.

Maybe just wishful thinking?
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

BREAKING: Twitter Board Utilizes ‘Poison Pill’ To Stop Elon Musk From Buying The Company
    The plan intends to 'reduce the likelihood that any entity, person or group gains control of Twitter’
    https://timcast.com/news/breaking-tw...g-the-company/
    Michael Robison (15 April 2022)

In a press release on Friday, Twitter announced that it was enacting a plan that would limit Elon Musk’s ability to purchase the social media giant outright.

Faced with the prospect of a hostile takeover, the Twitter Board has adopted a defensive strategy called a “shareholder rights plan.”

Shareholder rights plans, also known as “poison pills,” are a takeover defense tool often used to avoid escalating a hostile or unsolicited offer by keeping an investor from accumulating a significant ownership stake.

Shareholder rights plans are one of the most potent and effective defenses against a hostile takeover. By capping ownership, a plan compels a bidder to negotiate directly with the Board of Directors instead of launching an unapproved tender offer or accumulating a controlling stake through open market purchases.

Such a maneuver can level the playing field by giving the Board greater control of a process, providing more time for deliberations, and responding to aggressive negotiating tactics.

However, a rights plan is not absolute protection. While it does prevent a third party from quickly acquiring a controlling stake in a company, hostile bidders can still wage a public campaign to pressure the Board to negotiate and complete the intended purchase.

In the press release, Twitter states the plan “will reduce the likelihood that any entity, person or group gains control of Twitter through open market accumulation” — an evident response to Musk’s attempted purchase on Thursday.

The so-called poison pill becomes active “if an entity, person or group acquires beneficial ownership of 15% or more of Twitter’s outstanding common stock in a transaction not approved by the Board.”

If the plan becomes active, current shareholders will be entitled to a special class of shares sold at a lower-than-market price to acquire controlling equity in the company, thus ending the third party’s ability to gain controlling ownership.

According to Twitter, the Shareholder Rights Plan will remain active until April 14, 2023 — seemingly thwarting Musk from purchasing controlling interest in the social media platform for at least one year.

At this point, Musk’s remaining option would be to lobby current shareholders by convincing them to relinquish their shares in a sale directly to him. In most instances, someone like Musk will be forced to utilize a public campaign to compel shareholders to abandon their right to exercise the purchase options made available through the limited plan.

It remains to be seen what next steps Musk will take in his bid to purchase Twitter.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Cue "Ride of the Valkyries"

Last edited by Occam's Banana; 04-15-2022 at 03:28 PM.

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Elon Musk Trolls Twitter (Spectacularly!) - A Rant
    Boy. These bluechecks seem to think this Musk fella is untrustworthy. Good thing he isn't making the cars they drive or anything.
    https://odysee.com/@RazorFist:1/elon...olls-twitter:e

(See how that works?)
    Or maybe the things the controlled opposition would say the controlled opposition would say about him.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Or maybe the things the controlled opposition would say the controlled opposition would say about him.
    Or things the controlled opposition would say the controlled opposition would say the controlled opposition would say about him.

Maybe it's turtles controlled opposition all the way down ...

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Or things the controlled opposition would say the controlled opposition would say the controlled opposition would say about him.

Maybe it's turtles controlled opposition all the way down ...
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    "If free speech is restored to even one big social media platform, it all comes tumbling down."

That's why, despite the fact that Musk is, indeed, trolling, this story matters. It reminds me of the neoCON line about terrorism that was popular after 9/11: Terrorists Have to Be Lucky Once; Targets, Every Time.

The tyrants are fighting gravity, not the other way around. Never forget it!!

Who's going to tell him?

"Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

What I mean [when I say the corporate press is "un-self-aware"] is that they are oblivious to the fact that they are no longer the potent and powerful curators of public discourse that they once were but still imagine themselves to be.
    https://twitter.com/DrewHolden360/st...65971757879306
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 04-16-2022 at 09:27 PM.

Elon Takes Twitter - Part Of The Problem #847
    On this episode of Part Of The Problem, Dave and Robbie talk about Elon Musk's attempted hostile takeover of Twitter, the importance of the platform and the corruption that has led to this. This Show Was Recorded On 4.15.22
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5YlklWTv_4
    //

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Doesn't this have the huge potential for backfire? I mean, I'm sure there were plenty of shareholders that were salivating at the prospects of the big buyout. Now, if they can purchase additional shares and give their proxies to Musk, they can make out even better. Obviously, this takes some coordination, but in the modern era, coordination like this is increasingly feasible.

Maybe just wishful thinking?
    https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1515405264740134918

Investopedia: Tender Offer

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    What's really funny is that if you openly support Nazi's in Ukraine - that's fine.

If your tweet criticizes Nazi's in Ukaine.... you get banned.
    That's only true if you are from the west. YouTube banned a popular Chinese vlogger because China was upset because his posts were seen as anti Russian. I kid you not.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...ort/ar-AAVUcDY
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Was talking to a Democrat last weekend. They proclaimed that they had deleted their Twitter account because of Elon Musk. Apparently they have also developed a hatred of Bill Maher, who they used to love. The left seems to be imploding.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast