Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why Modern Movies Suck

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Just wanted to point out that though I've been watching Drinker for years, I do not fully trust his recommendations.
    His first miss was when he recommended Everything Everywhere All At Once and specifically said it wasn't full of woke propaganda. I am really not sure what movie he was watching. I mean, technically it went back to doing the bare minimum to entertain us enough that we might not spend the entire time actively thinking "this is propaganda", but it was very obviously there. It was worse by far than Andor, and Andor was egregious since it was an otherwise spotless outing that suddenly forced us to pay attention to gay chicks that did nothing to advance the plot and could easily have been removed from an already crowded cast of characters.

His second miss was Shogun. I don't blame him for calling that one wrong: It looked moderately entertaining and relatively non-woke. But I do blame him for neither reading the book nor watching the 1980 series prior to commenting. The only reason why I suffered through one entire episode is because Metatron also commented, and he brought the authenticity nazi flamethrower to his review and only commented about how he had nothing to burn. And there was a high degree of historic authenticity.
    The trouble with that one, is that the woke is there, but it's hiding. Unless you've read the book and seen the 1980 offering, it comes across as an incredibly masculine show that doesn't pay much lip service to wokeness.
    But if you HAVE read the book, you only need one episode to see that they fundamentally changed pretty much every character and that those changes all add up to a giagantic woke hairball. The entire thing is an incredibly competently polished woke turd.

There's a guy named Tod who has a channel on YT devoted to historic authenticity ( https://www.youtube.com/@tods_workshop ) and the interesting thing about him is that he also provides props for TV and movies. And he's very open about the fact that historic authenticity HAS to come second in a TV show or movie. It was irritating the first time I heard him say it, because of the number of Ladyhawkes that have been made over the years, where people who know something are screaming WHY DID YOU GET THAT SO RIGHT AND THIS OTHER THING SO WRONG... I used to be really into authenticity in movies prior to Tod explaining that you can't have every single retainer in a scene dressed the way retainers dressed - because if one guy has his totally historical bright yellow hood that he's so fond of, he ruins the entire scene. And a good authenticity nazi will view a TV show through that lens: get it right, but don't get it so right that it ruins the experience.

And 2024 Shogun did the authenticity thing very well - but ruined the rest of the story. And they ruined the story in a way that made it toe the woke line. It was kinda genius - it found a way to insert the woke garbage in a way that we wouldn't notice. Similar to how Everything Everwhere All At Once did it, but way more clever. Find some things that will make all the men happy, and use that as the topical anesthetic that lets them slip the needle in unnoticed.
    WHAT THE F*** DID YOU THINK​ WAS GOING TO HAPPEN???

By the way, everyone should have this bookmarked:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Piracy/wiki/megathread/

You'd be surprised what you can just watch on some of these sites, with no obligation (presuming you're ad blocking, that is... I don't know what some of these sites look like without an ad blocker enabled.) And of course I'd have a VPN on, just for good measure. And before anyone gets upset... there's stuff on these sites that you literally can't find any other way, short of buying a VHS copy on ebay.

e.g. I just found out last night that Godzilla Minus One is streaming on Lookmovie now. I'm looking forward to watching that one just to see what a $12 million giant killer looks like.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Just wanted to point out that though I've been watching Drinker for years, I do not fully trust his recommendations.

His first miss was when he recommended Everything Everywhere All At Once [...]

His second miss was Shogun. I don't blame him for calling that one wrong: It looked moderately entertaining and relatively non-woke. But I do blame him for neither reading the book nor watching the 1980 series prior to commenting. The only reason why I suffered through one entire episode is because Metatron also commented, and he brought the authenticity nazi flamethrower to his review and only commented about how he had nothing to burn. And there was a high degree of historic authenticity.

The trouble with that one, is that the woke is there, but it's hiding. Unless you've read the book and seen the 1980 offering, it comes across as an incredibly masculine show that doesn't pay much lip service to wokeness.

But if you HAVE read the book, you only need one episode to see that they fundamentally changed pretty much every character and that those changes all add up to a giagantic woke hairball. The entire thing is an incredibly competently polished woke turd.

[...]
    I haven't seen Everything Everywhere All at Once, so I can't comment on the quality of the Drinker's review.

But I have seen the new Shogun mini-series. I've also seen the old mini-series and read the book (several times for each). While the new series was disappointing and I didn't particularly care for it - unlike the Drinker and others, and in part due to its inadequacies when compared to the old series (which had its flaws, as well) - I didn't notice that is was "woke" in any significant way, so I have to agree with the Drinker on that point, at least.

So, the wife and I watched the first half of Godzilla Minus One last night.

Watch this movie.

That's all I'm gonna say. Watch it.

And periodically remind yourself as you're watching it, "this cost $15 million to make".

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    So, the wife and I watched the first half of Godzilla Minus One last night.

Watch this movie.

That's all I'm gonna say. Watch it.

And periodically remind yourself as you're watching it, "this cost $15 million to make".
    Seconded!

Even if you don't normally watch or like "Godzilla"-type movies.

It's not just a great "Godzilla" move - it's a great movie, period.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123