Thread: Lessons from '64?

Lessons from '64?

Although their stances are different (although both had views that are considered significantly different from the prevailing GOP viewpoint), RP is having a similar effect on the Republican party as Barry Goldwater did in 1964. What lessons can be learned (and harnessed) from history for RP's campaign?

Although Goldwater got the Republican nomination (in a hard fought, multi-candidate field), he was later defeated by one of the largest margins of victories in history to Lyndon Johnson. Assuming that RP can stay in the race and do well in the primaries, this fact is no doubt on the forefront of the GOP leadership. (not to mention the fact that many GOP leaders consider RP a republican in name only)

RP's platform is so revolutionary, that many people are either completely against it or don't really comprehend its significance. If we can do well in the primaries, how can we ensure that 1) he will get the GOP nomination, 2) we get the word out so that the rest of America can grasp the significance of RP's platform?

This might be a moot point, but groundwork needs to be laid down NOW to address these issues if we are planning for the long term.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If the GOP doesn't grasp the significance, they're doomed to being in the minority for a long long time.

Here's my ponderings: government has conditioned people to rely on it for so long! How do we help people understand that they ARE capable of taking care of themselves - if they had 15-25% more of their income to do it with!
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

The "daisy" ad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG2G1wdwP48 arguably did Goldwater in. He was perceived as a warmonger by people who saw the ad, and voters flocked to Johnson in droves.

Smear ads like this will be the biggest concern, although this particular one certainly wouldn't work... although it may work against his opponent!
    Follow my blog at http://tirelessagorist.blogspot.com/
    Current commentary from a libertarian/voluntaryist/agorist perspective.

Consistent Candidate - with Chainspell

Ron Paul Landslide by Jake Kellen - Constitution Mix

The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today.

My concern is that the GOP leadership will feel that if in a multi-candidate primary race, the 'wishes of the people' aren't well reflected enough to translate into an election day victory. (ie: there are significant numbers of people that feel for or against RP, enough that even if RP gets the nomination, itll keep the GOP vote at home on election day.. a la goldwater)

To counter this, we need to convince the GOP leadership.
    1) a clear cut margin of victory (not just finishing in the top 3) in the primaries
    2) continue the grassroots campaign.. on a more personal level. perhaps start some kind of ponzi type scheme where everyone needs to go out to recruit 5 RP supporters (not just superficially, but actually sit through an intelligent conversation with them to see what their concerns are and how RP's platform can address it).

I've already observed more than a few people who are NOT voting for Ron Paul in the primaries (Rudy, Fred, or McCain republicans) say they will vote for Paul to keep Hillary out of the White House. Knowing how bad they hate Hillary, I believe them.

Quote Originally Posted by apropos View Post
    I've already observed more than a few people who are NOT voting for Ron Paul in the primaries (Rudy, Fred, or McCain republicans) say they will vote for Paul to keep Hillary out of the White House. Knowing how bad they hate Hillary, I believe them.
    And when Ron raises more than Hillary this quarter, this becomes an incredibly strong selling point FOR Ron. At that point, Ron Paul will be the only candidate able to keep or or surpass the Hillary fundraising machine.

JM
    Interested in the history of ancient science? Want to know how it fed into the world around it and the people and politics of those times?
    Check out my book if you like (free chapters):
    www.LightofAlexandria.com Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jgmaynard View Post
    And when Ron raises more than Hillary this quarter, this becomes an incredibly strong selling point FOR Ron. At that point, Ron Paul will be the only candidate able to keep or or surpass the Hillary fundraising machine.

JM
    LOL Ron raising more than hillary this quarter. That's hilarious. Hillary will raise at least 50mil this quarter.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Here's my ponderings: government has conditioned people to rely on it for so long! How do we help people understand that they ARE capable of taking care of themselves - if they had 15-25% more of their income to do it with!
    F%$#ing understatement of the decade

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyInNY View Post
    LOL Ron raising more than hillary this quarter. That's hilarious. Hillary will raise at least 50mil this quarter.
    Prove it!