Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RR issues. Strike/quitting ?

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    As a former railroad worker, myself, I can relate. For awhile there, I worked 12 hours days/7days a week. At least that's how it was phrased... When you work 7 days a week, the weeks blend into each other. So, my longest stretch was 34 straight days. Then, 2 days off and back at it.

But... I was making a ton of money! LOTS of blue collar jobs have similar requirements. If you're out on a ship, or climbing towers, or doing storm restoration, or drilling wells, or things like that, there are going to be personal struggles to get those checks. Thus is life.

Not saying these folks shouldn't try to negotiate for more, but also recognize that they aren't unique. Men sacrifice a lot to provide for their families. Ultimately, it's a matter of what they value more.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    As a former railroad worker, myself, I can relate.
    It has gotten worse. They want one man crews, and they're creating a labor shortage by driving people to quit so they can lobby Congress to get it.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 11-23-2022 at 08:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    And?
    Dems cheat.
    Trump stopped them cheating.

A clear case of Liberty preserving authoritarianism.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It has gotten worse. They want one man crews, and they're creating a labor shortage by driving people to quit so they can lobby Congress to get it.
    Yeah, the RRs are going in the opposite direction the oil companies were.

Being so scared and averse to any risk exposure at all, they started mandating redundant crew, many times more than what flag state regulations required.

I routinely carried four to six men in every department that were redundant and above requirements.

But the "majors" were willing to pay for it so, welcome aboard.
    "Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I was a one-man crew. I actually preferred it that way. I carried something like this (although, they were much bigger 20 years ago)

It allowed me to operate the engine from the ground while I was switching. Once the safety fatwas starting coming in, they made us have "positive head-end protection" meaning that you'd have to have at least 2 men. (or a long walk after each couple or switch!!)

Some of the guys liked 2-man crews because they could stay in the warm engine all night - others, like me, hated it. Because you give up control to a guy who can't see what you're doing and may misinterpret signals.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Some of the guys liked 2-man crews because they could stay in the warm engine all night - others, like me, hated it. Because you give up control to a guy who can't see what you're doing and may misinterpret signals.
    I understand. That doesn't make one person crews safe out on the main line, running a mile long, ten thousand ton train at 79 mph.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 11-23-2022 at 11:20 AM.
    And?
    Dems cheat.

I understand. That doesn't make one person crews safe out on the main line at 79 mph.
    So, I think you're a little out of your swimlane here. On the main line, most of the time is spent doing... nothing. When you come into a town, you blow the horn to signal crossings. When you come up to a switch in the wrong position, you throw it. But for the most part, you try to stay awake and keep your eyes on the track. One man crews are just as safe depending on who that man is. Having 2 people there is pretty unnecessary, except in relief of one another. Trust me - when their jobs are automated, these guys will look back on their complaints and wonder what the hell they were thinking. Rail automation on the main line is super easy technologically - it's the public perception that's hard.

Meh. There's more to it. There are brake checks, for example. There are also bathroom breaks; over the road engineers are expected to take them on the fly. Switchers don't even have heads, unless they're road engines downgraded to yard goat duty.

Regardless, that's what this is all about. They want one man crews, and they're creating a labor shortage by driving people to quit so they can lobby Congress to get it, right or wrong.
    And?
    Dems cheat.

White House Trying To Avert Impending Rail Strike

https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...g-rail-strike/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I owe you a rep...a hundred reps actually.

I have been screaming this for years...there is no reason that working class people should not have a "natural" home on the right as opposed to the left.

If the idiot GOP actually wanted to win and govern, they would be reaching out to them every day.

Especially now, since the left has abandoned the working folks, and gone full retard with identity Marxism.
    This has amazed me also for decades
    Do something Danke

Biden Calls On Congress To Avert Rail Strike

https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...t-rail-strike/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    On Thursday, the Senate passed legislation by a wide bipartisan margin to impose a contract on freight rail workers that four unions rejected at the White House’s behest. The Senate also did not pass, by a margin of eight votes, additional legislation that would have given freight rail workers seven additional paid sick days, which would have gone some way towards addressing their demands. A group of more than 500 labor historians have signed a letter saying this is a terrible mistake.

Earlier this week, Tim Barker, a recent PhD graduate from Harvard, and the historian Nelson Lichtenstein at UC Santa Barbara, were among a small group of labor historians upset by President Biden’s call to pass a law that would impose contract terms of freight rail workers. They decided to make a statement “showing that a pretty overwhelming majority of people who have thought about this a lot share a common view on it,” as Barker put it in an interview with Motherboard.

That view, expressed in an open letter to Biden and Secretary of Labor Martin Walsh, was that Biden screwed up. The letter, which Barker helped write, said the historians are “alarmed” by his decision to impose a contract four unions rejected despite the “eminently just demands of the railway workers, especially those that provide them with a livable and dignified work life schedule.” Railroad workers are fighting a corporate regime that has shrunk the industry’s workforce by 30 percent in recent years then blamed crew shortages on the “supply chain” and imposed draconian work schedules that have workers tired, sick, stressed, and unable to spend meaningful time with their friends and families, all while raking in record profits. Four unions have rejected the tentative agreement and freight rail workers generally support a strike because they view the corporate greed motivating these decisions as an existential threat to their industry and the safety and economic security of the American people.
    https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7vn...t-rail-dispute
    And?
    Dems cheat.

In a stunning upset, the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen, the 28,000-member union of railroad workers, has elected a new president. Eddie Hall, a local officer out of Division 28 in Tucson, Arizona, won against incumbent Dennis Pierce with 53 percent of the membership-wide vote. Hall will take office on January, pending official certification of the results, and will lead the larger of the two unions that make up the Teamsters Rail Conference.

The surprise victory is the latest fallout from a national freight rail showdown in which some 60,000 rail workers had a contract imposed on them. In the BLET, the second-largest union involved in negotiations, members ratified a deal, but many members were unhappy with the outcome.

In an interview, Hall said his election spoke to rank-and-file frustrations that leadership failed to listen to the membership throughout the negotiations. “We have a union, but [members] are not involved,” he said. “I’m hoping to get out and listen to the membership.”

The BLET was one of three unions that came within hours of striking in September before reaching a last-minute tentative agreement with heavy involvement from the Biden White House and Secretary of Labor Marty Walsh.

In June, the BLET took a strike vote, its first such national vote in over a decade. Members returning ballots voted 99.5 percent in favor of striking.

For months, the BLET and other unions had pushed for fifteen paid sick days for rail workers. Currently, railroaders get none. In those final hours before their strike deadline on September 15, the union agreed instead to accept three unpaid sick days, with 30 days notice, to be taken on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday.

With Dennis Pierce standing next to him in the oval office, Joe Biden told the press, “They feel good. These guys, by the way, they’re still standing but they should be home in bed. Twenty straight hours [of negotiations]. I want to thank business and labor.”

Pierce then advocated for his membership to support the deal. “Contracts between the railroads and their employees have never had sick time,” he said in a separate interview. “There are a lot of industries don’t have that in their contract.” Asked if he would support the deal, Pierce replied, “I probably would.”

Pierce was indeed able to get the contract ratified, but it may have cost him his job.

THE NEW RAIL UNION LEADER
    Eddie Hall is a working engineer on the Union Pacific railroad, based in Tucson, Arizona. He’s worked on the rails for 28 years, and has been a local union officer for the past 12. He says he never considered trying to move up in the union ranks until last fall.

As members grew frustrated with the stalled negotiations process, Hall’s District 28 held a meeting where they voted to send a letter to Dennis Pierce “asking him to come down and, for lack of a better word, explain himself.” Pierce headed to Tucson in February, and members weren’t satisfied with his responses. That’s when the district nominated Eddie Hall to run for BLET president.

What started as frustration over the length of negotiations—which began in late 2019 and meant, among other things, deferred raises—soon became about getting time off the job. In 2020, just before the start of the pandemic, Union Pacific implemented a new attendance policy that harshly penalized workers for taking time off—time that was already unpaid. In early 2022, BNSF also announced a new policy, dubbed “Hi-Viz,” that similarly threatened rail workers’ jobs if they didn’t keep up with the grueling work schedule. These policies were part of the broader Precision Scheduled Railroading regime that railroad companies have implemented across the industry, cutting jobs and increasing the pressure on those workers who remain...
    https://labornotes.org/2022/12/frust...oust-president
    And?
    Dems cheat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12