Thread: CA Ventura Star paper: California should abolish parenthood, in the name of equity

Exclamation CA Ventura Star paper: California should abolish parenthood, in the name of equity

Haha look at the crank, the kook, the weirdo and his ridiculous column.

Laugh at your own risk: what Joe here is proposing are not "his" ideas, but merely the regurgitating of pure Marxist/Leninst claptrap written over 100 years ago regarding the state raising children.

This is our future if the Marxist filth wins its revolution that it is embarked on.

California should abolish parenthood, in the name of equity

https://www.vcstar.com/story/opinion...ty/6513756001/

Joe Matthews

If California is ever going to achieve true equity, the state must require parents to give away their children.

Today’s Californians often hold up equity — the goal of a just society completely free from bias — as our greatest value. Gov. Gavin Newsom makes decisions through “an equity lens.” Institutions from dance ensembles to tech companies have publicly pledged themselves to equity.

But their promises are no match for the power of parents.

Fathers and mothers with greater wealth and education are more likely to transfer these advantages to their children, compounding privilege over generations. As a result, children of less advantaged parents face an uphill struggle, social mobility has stalled, and democracy has been corrupted. More Californians are abandoning the dream; a recent Public Policy Institute of California poll found declining belief in the notion that you can get ahead through hard work.

My solution — making raising your own children illegal — is simple, and while we wait for the legislation to pass, we can act now: the rich and poor should trade kids, and homeowners might swap children with their homeless neighbors.

Now, I recognize that some naysayers will dismiss such a policy as ghastly, even totalitarian. But my proposal is quite modest, a fusion of traditional philosophy and today’s most common political obsessions.

In his “Republic,” Plato adopted Socrates’ sage advice — that children “be possessed in common, so that no parent will know his own offspring or any child his parents” — in order to defeat nepotism, and create citizens loyal not to their sons but to society.

Today, a policy of universal orphanhood aligns with powerful social trends that point to less interest in family. Californians are slower to marry, and are having fewer children — our birth rate is at an all-time low.

My proposal also should be politically unifying, fitting hand-in-glove with the most cherished policies of progressives and Trumpians alike.

The left’s introduction of anti-racism and gender identity in schools faces a bitter backlash from parents. Ending parenthood would end the backlash, helping dismantle white supremacy and outdated gender norms. Democrats also would have the opportunity to build a new pillar of the safety net — a child-raising system called “Foster Care for All.”

Over on the right, Republicans are happy to jettison parents’ rights in pursuit of their greatest passions, like violating migrant rights. Once you’ve gone so far as to take immigrant children from their parents and put them in border concentration camps, it’s a short walk to separating all Americans from their progeny.

Universal orphanhood also dovetails nicely with the pro-life campaign to end abortion rights. In fact, a suggestion from Justice Amy Coney Barrett, during a recent case that could overturn Roe, inspired this column. She posited that abortion rights are no longer necessary because all 50 states now have “safe haven” laws allowing women to turn their babies over to authorities after birth. My proposal would merely make mandatory such handovers of babies to the state.

Perhaps such coercion sounds dystopian. But just imagine the solidarity that universal orphanhood would create. Wouldn’t children, raised in one system, find it easier to collaborate on global problems?

Now, I don’t expect universal support for universal orphanhood. A few contrarians, lost in the empty chasm between American extremes, might object to this rational proposal on emotional grounds. They might argue that pursuing your own conception of family is fundamental to freedom.

They also may suggest that people don’t really want to start or finish at the same point in life.

They may even say that what we really desire is what the title orphan of the musical Annie demanded: “I didn’t want to be just another orphan, Mr. Warbucks. I wanted to believe I was special.”

But don’t pay those critics any mind. Because they just can’t see how our relentless pursuit of equity might birth a brave new world.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 01-17-2022 at 09:21 AM.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Today’s Californians often hold up equity — the goal of a just society completely free from bias — as our greatest value.
    And if that is true, then they are dangerous lunatics, fit to be walled off and separated from.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    And if that is true, then they are dangerous lunatics, fit to be walled off and separated from.

I don't know this Joe Matthews, but this is so absurd that (and maybe it's my normalcy bias kicking in) I have the sneaking suspicion that this phrase:

But my proposal is quite modest...
    Was not coincidental.

California should abolish parenthood, in the name of equity
    So if one demographic largely shoots themselves in the foot, everyone must shoot themselves in the foot--even those members of that demographic who are trying to do something better. Because mediocrity. You have no right to excel.

Equity is mediocrity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

In his “Republic,” Plato....
    I kid you not, when I read The Republic for the first time I thought it was satire.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    I don't know this Joe Matthews, but this is so absurd that (and maybe it's my normalcy bias kicking in) I have the sneaking suspicion that this phrase:

But my proposal is quite modest...
    Was not coincidental.
    It's definitely satirical. It's just too self-aware to be anything else ("naysayers will dismiss such a policy as ghastly, even totalitarian" ... "perhaps such coercion sounds dystopian" ... "brave new world").

But the "modest proposal" thing has become enough of a cliché that I wouldn't be surprised to actually see some of the more oblivious & unwitting types unironically self-applying such phrasing to their own enthusiasms.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Commies have been preaching this for years. Let them push it – I'm heartened by the parental reaction to CRT in the schools. Insisting that their children live in inner-city foster homes would only drive more people to the right.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.” - Thomas Jefferson

Forum Friends get $20 off your $200 order - save money on bulk ammo as we donate to your favorite pro-freedom group.

Want true equity? California should force parents to give away their children (Opinion)

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/...s-16777540.php

Opinion: Want true equity? California should force parents to give away their children

Joe Mathews
    Jan. 16, 2022

If California is ever going to achieve true equity, the state must require parents to give away their children.

Today’s Californians often hold up equity — the idea of a just society completely free from bias — as our greatest value. Gov. Gavin Newsom says he makes decisions through “an equity lens.” Institutions from dance ensembles to tech companies have publicly pledged themselves to equity, along with diversity and inclusion.

But their promises of newly equitable systems are no match for the power of parents.

Fathers and mothers with greater wealth, education or other resources are more likely to transfer these advantages to their children, compounding privilege over generations. As a result, children of less advantaged parents face an uphill struggle, social mobility has stalled and democracy has been corrupted. More Californians are giving up on the dream; a recent Public Policy Institute of California poll found declining belief in the notion that you can get ahead through hard work.

My solution is simple, and while we wait for the legislation to pass, we can act now: The rich should give their children to the poor, and the poor should give their children to the rich. Homeowners might swap children with their homeless neighbors.

Now, I recognize that some naysayers, hopelessly attached to their privilege, will dismiss such a policy as ghastly, even totalitarian. But my proposal is quite modest, a fusion of traditional philosophy and today’s most common political obsessions.

In his “Republic,” Plato adopted Socrates’ sage advice — that children “be possessed in common, so that no parent will know his own offspring or any child his parents” — in order to defeat nepotism, prevent the amassing of great fortunes and create citizens loyal not to their sons but to society. To replace parents, Plato offered now-familiar ideas, from compulsory education to — a millennia before Newsom’s conception-to-college agenda — health regimes for pregnant women and children age 5 and younger.

Today, universal orphanhood aligns with powerful social trends that point to less interest in family. Californians are slower to marry and are having fewer children — our state’s birth rate is at an all-time low.

Surveys also suggest many of us are breaking off ties with family members who don’t share our politics. But my proposal would be unifying, fitting hand-in-glove with the most cherished policies of progressives and Trumpians alike.

The left’s introduction of anti-racism and gender identity in schools faces a bitter backlash from parents. Ending parenthood would end the backlash, helping dismantle white supremacy and outdated gender norms.

My proposal also would give Democrats the opportunity to build a new pillar of the social democracy they seek — a system for raising children, called “Foster Care for All.” Under this system, Democrats could stop pretending that they will enact universal preschool or child care, which they’ve promised — and failed to deliver — for a generation.

Over on the right, you’ll see people posing as parent defenders. But Republicans are happy to jettison fathers and mothers to pursue their greatest passions, like violating migrant rights. Once you’ve gone so far as to separate immigrants from their children and put the kids in border concentration camps, it’s only a short walk to a wholesale separation of all Americans from their progeny.

Then there’s the pro-lifers. The idea of universal orphanhood dovetails nicely with the conservative campaign to end Roe v. Wade and all abortion rights. In fact, a suggestion from Justice Amy Coney Barrett, in a recent Supreme Court hearing on a case that could overturn Roe, inspired me to write this column. She posited that abortion rights are no longer necessary because all 50 states now have “safe haven” laws that allow women to turn their babies over to a fire or police department after birth.

My proposal would merely make mandatory such handovers of babies to the state.

Perhaps such coercion sounds dystopian. But just imagine the solidarity that universal orphanhood would create. Wouldn’t children, raised in one system, find it easier to collaborate on climate change and other global problems?

Now, I don’t expect universal support for universal orphanhood. A few contrarians, lost in the empty chasm between American extremes, might object to this rational proposal on emotional grounds. They might argue that pursuing your own conception of family is fundamental to freedom. Or that our differences and biases, for all the damage they can do, also give human life much of its meaning.

They also may suggest that people don’t really want to start or finish at the same point in life. They may even say that what we really desire is what the title orphan of the musical “Annie” insisted upon: “I didn’t want to be just another orphan, Mr. Warbucks. I wanted to believe I was special.”

But you shouldn’t pay those critics any mind. Because they just can’t see how our relentless pursuit of equity might birth a brave new world.

Joe Mathews writes the Connecting California column for Zócalo Public Square.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/...s-16777540.php
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    It's definitely satirical. It's just too self-aware to be anything else ("naysayers will dismiss such a policy as ghastly, even totalitarian" ... "perhaps such coercion sounds dystopian" ... "brave new world").

But the "modest proposal" thing has become enough of a cliché that I wouldn't be surprised to actually see some of the more oblivious & unwitting types unironically self-applying such phrasing to their own enthusiasms.
    I thought the same thing - that it was satire. However, USA Today has also picked it up as an opinion piece - and they don't tend to do that with satire. It also appears under "Opinion" on Bakersfield.Com. I wouldn't think that a site like EasyParenting.Com would run with it - but it did.

And yeah, the "Modest Proposal" thang ought to be a dead giveaway.

Maybe it's just a ploy to get right-wing websites to lose their gourds over it so they look ridiculous (you know, like when Snopes fact-checks the Babylon Bee) ... because it's absolutely done that.
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 01-18-2022 at 02:12 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    I thought the same thing - that it was satire. However, USA Today has also picked it up as an opinion piece - and they don't tend to do that with satire. It also appears under "Opinion" on Bakersfield.Com. I wouldn't think that a site like EasyParenting.Com would run with it - but it did.
    It's almost as if they make money when people click on things.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Nothing surprises me anymore from any of the elites news media publications. Even if they say it was satirical they maybe checking to gauge support and resistance. The start of easing people into a acceptance over the course of the next few decades like they have done with all their other perversions. I bet the author and his ilk are Pedophiles that want greater access to kids for their own perversions.

The average people really have no clue how alien the belief system of the elite class is from them.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

It could have started as satire and been completely missed by most at the MSM. Let's face it, most MSM staff are a bunch of wannabe Ron Burgundies that can't wipe their own asses. The problem today is that trying to be satirical usually fails, because a leftist will outdo your satire by the end of the day.

There's a leftist YouTube channel called Real Progressives. Even moreso than this article, it's almost impossible to tell if it's satire or not. They even have a segment called MMT Mondays.
    https://youtube.com/c/RealProgressives

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ROTFLMAO ... Yes, and it's right-wingers that are providing the clicks. Do a web search on the title of the article and you'll find a few reposts of the article without comment and a pile of discussions by conservatives wringing their hands over what the leftists are planning for their children. Maybe I haven't gone deep enough into the search results yet, but I yet to find any "Attaboy" discussions by any leftists. Maybe I just need to dive deeper into Reddit and see what they have.

I can't help but wonder how much money Joe Matthews, or his employer, made off of this. He's trolled dozens of conservative websites without ever getting an account on any of them.
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 01-18-2022 at 08:12 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

You would love to have people believe that there is nothing to see here, just some Clown writing Clown World articles for Clown World clickbait, to be passed around by other Clowns.

I think I've figured out why Matthews wants to turn all children over to the state. It seems he had a lot of trouble getting his own daughter enrolled in public school, so it's probably just a matter of paperwork reduction for him.

For reference: Zocalo Public Square is the website he writes for; and his last name has one "T" rather than two.
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 01-18-2022 at 09:32 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In the case of the OP referenced article, yeah, satirical.

But if you want one of his controversial articles that seems genuine try this one:
    TO MAKE CALIFORNIA A TRUE DEMOCRACY, GIVE NON-CITIZENS THE RIGHT TO VOTE

He's also a proponent of the climate change argument, though from a pro-nuclear standpoint:
    KEEP CALIFORNIA’S LAST NUCLEAR PLANT RUNNING
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 01-18-2022 at 10:09 PM.

It seems like it would just be a vehicle for single gay men to $#@! other people's children.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

They're already 50-60% there with public schools
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

You would love to have people believe that there is nothing to see here, just some Clown writing Clown World articles for Clown World clickbait, to be passed around by other Clowns.

It's passed around by clowns, yes.

In that scenario, you are the clown.
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

It's passed around by clowns, yes.

In that scenario, you are the clown.
    And you are a Quisling.

The Quisling's job in destroying the host nation is to calm and re-assure a reluctant and skittish population on the verge of destruction and tyranny, that the person hollering the warnings about that destruction, is nothing more than a kook, a weirdo, a clown and to pay him no mind at all.

All is well, right?

Abolish parenthood? No, family trumps 'equity'
    January 19, 2022 11:24 AM
    By Michael Barone (Washington Examiner)

Random Twitter sightings indicated that some very smart conservatives are taking this column or the headline both literally and seriously, and perhaps some California-style lefties are as well. They are not tipped off by the writer’s insistence that his proposal is “modest” — an obvious reference to Jonathan Swift’s 1718 “ Modest Proposal ” essay advocating that the children of the poor be sold to feed the rich.

I know Mathews and have spoken to his Zocalo group. I have known his parents since we were on the college newspaper together many years ago, and I immediately recognized in his column a familiar sense of humor and turn of phrase. Parents, by some combination of nature and nurture, do tend to pass on some traits to their children.

Mathews’s article, properly understood, is an argument that no society can have all good things at once — that there is not a direct conflict, but a definite tension between the sets of ideas that fall under the political labels of “family” and “equity.”

You see this in the vulgar political arena where cultural conservatives have long invoked “family values” and where woke liberals have increasingly demanded not just “equality” of treatment but “equity” in results.

You see it also in the exalted world of academic theory. The political scientist John Rawls shaped the view of many liberals with his insistence that society should be governed by rules devised as if we had no knowledge of our positions in life, what he labeled his “original position.”

It follows, Rawls argued, that government should always redistribute from those with much to those with little and provide all citizens with guaranteed equal incomes and wealth, even at the cost of inefficiency and impoverishment.

The problem with Rawls’s philosophy is that people are not, never were, and never will be in his “original position.” They are born, as any parent can tell you, with differing inclinations and capacities, they are shaped inevitably by parents or caregivers, and they are favored or disfavored by circumstances beyond their control.

The result is that even the fairest and most open society does not have perfect social mobility. Those who start off with advantages, such as rich or intelligent parents, are more likely than others to end up with similar advantages. These are tendencies, not certainties — many people rise above disadvantages or squander advantages.

Riches and brains aren’t the only advantages. Copious research over the years shows that people raised in two-parent families do better, on average, than those who are not.

Mathews’s point is that a single-minded pursuit of equity means abolition of the family. But most voters reject that. Even Israel’s communal kibbutz movement sputtered out long ago .

But some Democrats have been insisting “equity” comes before “family.”

“I don’t think parents should be telling schools what they should teach,” former Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe proclaimed in a debate. Most voters disagreed. McAuliffe lost to Republican Glenn Youngkin in a state President Joe Biden carried by 10 points.

Similarly, the Michigan Democrats tweeted last week that “the purpose of a public education” is to teach children “what society needs them to know.” Oops. The party quickly deleted the tweet and admitted that “parents need to have a say in their children’s education.”

The Democrats’ argument is that parents should defer to educators’ expertise. Their subtext is that many parents are backwardly tradition-bound. But no one cares more for a child than his or her parents, and educators’ expertise has often proven bogus.

Thus liberal columnist Jonathan Chait demolishes the teachers union-imposed “ school closing catastrophe ,” and Youngkin renounces the only-in-liberal-America mandatory masking of students. In a free society, “family” trumps “equity.”

And you are a Quisling.

The Quisling's job in destroying the host nation is to calm and re-assure a reluctant and skittish population on the verge of destruction and tyranny, that the person hollering the warnings about that destruction, is nothing more than a kook, a weirdo, a clown and to pay him no mind at all.

All is well, right?
    Does it ever get tiring to be forced to pretend like literally everything is an existential crisis all of the time?
    Pinochet is the model

Does it ever get tiring to be forced to pretend like to know literally everything is an existential crisis all of the time?
    Fixed that for you.

Yes.

Absolutely.

It got so bad with the "cops kill your dogs" and so on, it made my physically ill.

And years ago I said how it would all play out, pretty much exactly as I said it would: cops go insane with too much power and military training and weapons, people start to push back, various leftist and race hustlers play it to their advantage and cripple any sort of reasonable law enforcement reform, crime goes nuts, people drop any opposition to cops and beg them to come back and restore order.

And that's not me blowing my own horn, there are thousands of other folks who said the same thing, who remembered what happened years ago and saw it coming round again.

1960 to 1970 to 1980 to 1990 all the $#@! over again.

My job would be much easier if I didn't have to always fight a rear guard action against people like you, who dismiss it all and do their level best to put everybody back to sleep.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Fixed that for you.

Yes.

Absolutely.

It got so bad with the "cops kill your dogs" and so on, it made my physically ill.

And years ago I said how it would all play out, pretty much exactly as I said it would: cops go insane with too much power and military training and weapons, people start to push back, various leftist and race hustlers play it to their advantage and cripple any sort of reasonable law enforcement reform, crime goes nuts, people drop any opposition to cops and beg them to come back and restore order.

And that's not me blowing my own horn, there are thousands of other folks who said the same thing, who remembered what happened years ago and saw it coming round again.

1960 to 1970 to 1980 to 1990 all the $#@! over again.

My job would be much easier if I didn't have to always fight a rear guard action against people like you, who dismiss it all and do their level best to put everybody back to sleep.
    Found footage of The Count doing what he does best...

Jer. 11:18-20. "The Kingdom of God has come upon you." -- Matthew 12:28

Does it ever get tiring to be forced to pretend like literally everything is an existential crisis all of the time?
    Does it ever get tiring forcing yourself to pretend that everything is just fine?

You tell me.

Biden Says US Survived 'Existential Crisis' of Capitol Riot

America's national parks face existential crisis over race - ABC ...

Opinion | The Supreme Court faces an existential crisis of...Washington Post

Why Coronavirus Is an 'Existential Crisis' for ... - Politico

Climate change governance: Responding to an existential crisis

Bernie Sanders: Climate change is 'existential crisis' - CNN

Targets: The Existential Crisis of Black and Latino Male Youths

America’s Existential Crisis: Our Inherited Obligation to Native Nations Paperback – May 15, 2021

Afghan women face existential crisis due to Taliban's political 'incapicity': Report

They all add up, she said, to “an existential crisis in psychiatry.” A racist history. White psychiatrists have pathologized Black behavior for

The Existential Crisis of the European Union
    Published online by Cambridge University Press: 06 March 2019

The social movement theory also clarifies the movements' divergent political tactics as Black Lives Matter responds to existential anxiety

Etc., etc.
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Yeah, I read the article as parody, but I did read the article fast.

Either way, many communists (liberals) have a disdain for family. The first tv programs centered around workplace "family" probably started in the 1960s. The earliest one I see on rerun TV is Mary Tyler Moore, a God awful program centered around a tee vee news station. It appears to be a motley group of dysfunctional losers, but they all have each other.
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members