Thread: The Doomsday Glacier will kill millions.

Exclamation The Doomsday Glacier will kill millions.

Climate Alarmists: ‘Doomsday Glacier Is Coming for Us All’

https://www.breitbart.com/environmen...ng-for-us-all/

THOMAS D. WILLIAMS, PH.D. 30 Dec 2021

The massive Thwaites Glacier in Antarctica could “fall apart overnight” and raise sea levels by 10 feet, declares an article Thursday in Rolling Stone magazine.

The essay by Jeff Goodell, titled “‘The Fuse Has Been Blown,’ and the Doomsday Glacier Is Coming for Us All,” states that cracks and fissures in the Thwaites eastern ice shelf suggest the Florida-sized ice mass “could fracture like a shattered car window in as little as five years.”

The West Antarctic ice sheet “is one of the most important tipping points in the Earth’s climate system,” Goodell asserts. “If Thwaites Glacier collapses, it opens the door for the rest of the West Antarctic ice sheet to slide into the sea.”

“If there is going to be a climate catastrophe, it’s probably going to start at Thwaites,” Goodell writes, citing Ohio State glaciologist Ian Howat.

What this “world-bending catastrophe” would mean in terms of death and damage, Goodell insists, is the disappearance of Miami and “virtually every low-lying coastal city in the world.”

Moreover, the disaster would not be gradual but sudden, he suggests, because a runaway collapse of the ice sheet “could raise global sea levels very high, very fast.”

While Goodell urges concerted climate action, he is not optimistic about the results.

“Even if we cut carbon emissions to zero tomorrow, warm water will continue to flow beneath the ice sheet for decades, destabilizing the ice and further pushing the glacier toward eventual collapse,” he declares.

Goodell is not alone in sounding the alarm over the threat of the “doomsday glacier.”

On Thursday, ABC News in Chicago asserted that the ice sheets around Thwaites Glacier are fracturing and could “shatter within the next three to five years.”

“A breakage of that magnitude would pose the biggest threat for sea-level rise in the 21st century and would put coastal communities and low-lying nations at risk,” ABC said, citing “researchers.”
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'd be in panic right now and shaking in my boots if it wasn't for the fact that every climate catastrophe that has been predicted turned out to be false.
    Last edited by Anti Globalist; 12-30-2021 at 07:31 PM.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

1. A Florida-sized chunk of ice won't raise all the world's sea levels one inch.

2. Last I heard, Antarctica was gaining ice, not losing it.

3. The Obamas clearly don't believe you either.

4. Tease. The U.S. could stand to shed some coastal cities. Too bad you jackasses are lying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    1. A Florida-sized chunk of ice won't raise all the world's sea levels one inch.

2. Last I heard, Antarctica was gaining ice, not losing it.

3. The Obamas clearly don't believe you either.

4. Tease. The U.S. could stand to shed some coastal cities. Too bad you jackasses are lying.
    LA - DC The entire Swamp - Philly - Baltimore - Camden - NYC...what's not to love about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    I'd be in panic right now and shaking in my boots if it wasn't for the fact that every climate catastrophe that has been predicted turned out to be false.
    Personally, I'm terrified...

Jer. 11:18-20. "The Kingdom of God has come upon you." -- Matthew 12:28

No wonder Danke disappeared , he was scared of the doomsday glacier.
    Do something Danke

Cool, the beach will be closer to my house. Should raise my property value

More space for fish.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am buying ocean front property. I will see you all down in Arizona Bay!

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    No wonder Danke disappeared , he was scared of the doomsday glacier.
    Or the Winnebago got him again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Or the Winnebago got him again.
    The Lakota are closer.

Or did you mean the Free Candy RV broke down again?
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    The Lakota are closer.

Or did you mean the Free Candy RV broke down again?
    I guess oyarde callled it a Wendigo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I guess oyarde callled it a Wendigo.
    Could be anything, then, as long as it has moose antlers.

Those are sort of like bull horns down our way, you see. Except you don't put them on El Dorado hoods because you sit too low to see over them.

It's true, we are looking at a possible rise in sea levels etc. the ice could melt rapidly, or downright break off humongous chunks at the lip, but there is nothing we can do about it, there is a volcano/s underneath these glaciers, with hotspots/rifts all over, they've known this for many years now. If one day, there is an eruption the coasts could have problems. Funny how you can read some whole articles and they never mention the natural heat/lava underneath.

https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=295861

It remains unclear how the newly discovered activity affects knowledge about the glacier, because researchers don't yet know how volcanic heat is distributed along the bottom of the ice sheet. However, researchers do know that the heat from the volcano is producing melting beneath the ice sheet. This meltwater is leaking across the grounding line where the ice shelf meets the ocean.

The heat source, Loose and team note, is about half that of the active volcano Grímsvötn, in Iceland.

The researchers first noted the volcanic activity in 2007 and verified its existence again in 2014. (they have been watching this glacier since the 1970s)

It remains unclear how the newly discovered activity affects knowledge about the glacier, because researchers don't yet know how volcanic heat is distributed along the bottom of the ice sheet. However, researchers do know that the heat from the volcano is producing melting beneath the ice sheet. This meltwater is leaking across the grounding line where the ice shelf meets the ocean.

The heat source, Loose and team note, is about half that of the active volcano Grímsvötn, in Iceland.

While the effects of volcanic heat on the Antarctic ice sheets is an active topic of research, this study provides the first geochemical evidence of a contemporary volcanic heat source, emphasizing the need to detect and understand volcanism, including in models of ice-sheet behavior. The greater understanding of volcanism could alter scientists' perception of the mechanics of ice-sheet loss, including in the areas where the glaciers meet the sea.

"Our finding of a substantial heat source beneath a major WAIS glacier highlights the need to understand subglacial volcanism, its interaction with the marine margins and its potential role in the future stability of the WAIS,” they write in the Nature Communications article.

They also note that volcanic activity could be (LOL...) increasing the rate of collapse of the Thwaites Glacier, which is adjacent to the Pine Island Glacier.

More technical version.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-04421-3

Abstract

Tectonic landforms reveal that the West Antarctic Ice Sheet (WAIS) lies atop a major volcanic rift system. However, identifying subglacial volcanism is challenging. Here we show geochemical evidence of a volcanic heat source upstream of the fast-melting Pine Island Ice Shelf, documented by seawater helium isotope ratios at the front of the Ice Shelf cavity. The localization of mantle helium to glacial meltwater reveals that volcanic heat induces melt beneath the grounded glacier and feeds the subglacial hydrological network crossing the grounding line. The observed transport of mantle helium out of the Ice Shelf cavity indicates that volcanic heat is supplied to the grounded glacier at a rate of ~ 2500 ± 1700 MW, which is ca. half as large as the active Grimsvötn volcano on Iceland. Our finding of a substantial volcanic heat source beneath a major WAIS glacier highlights the need to understand subglacial volcanism, its hydrologic interaction with the marine margins, and its potential role in the future stability of the WAIS.

Discover Magazine (2020) doesn't even mention volcanoes, or even hotspots and blames it all directly on global warming... downright liars.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/env...omsday-glacier

Like other glaciers, Thwaites has a long, thin tongue of ice that sticks out into seawater. If you were to dive into the water beneath the protruding, visible ice and swim downward, you’d eventually see that Thwaites makes contact with rock. This interface is called the grounding line. Britney Schmidt, a geophysicist at Georgia Tech, has, in a way, dove down to give the junction a close look. As part of the international Thwaites mission, Schmidt and her team navigated a robot submarine down to the grounding line to get a detailed understanding of the ice shape and conditions, as this is where the most important melting action is happening. Human-caused climate change has warmed ocean waters that swirl around the grounding line. The water, which now sits above the freezing temperature of ice, melts the glacier faster than new ice can form. As the ice disappears, the grounding line retreats and less of Thwaites sits on the rock.

But researchers still don’t know exactly how much of the glacier will melt or when, which makes it difficult to know if the ice sheet sitting beyond Thwaites will wash away, too. “Because it’s uncertain, Thwaites has the potential to really be the Doomsday Glacier. It also has the potential to not be so bad,” Muto says. “But as long as we still have that potential for it to be bad, we need to be doing something about it so that we don’t actually tend towards that worst-case scenario.”

By “do something,” Muto means addressing climate change, the force pushing Thwaites to melt.

FJB

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I am buying ocean front property. I will see you all down in Arizona Bay!
    Must post video... @RJB and @phill4paul

"Ænema"

Some say the end is near.
    Some say we'll see Armageddon soon.
    Certainly hope we will.
    I sure could use a vacation from this bull$#@! three-ring circus sideshow of freaks.

Here in this hopeless $#@!ing hole we call L.A.
    The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
    Any $#@!ing time. Any $#@!ing day.
    Learn to swim, see you down in Arizona Bay.

Fret for your figure
    And fret for your latte
    And fret for your lawsuit
    And fret for your hairpiece
    And fret for your Prozac
    And fret for your pilot
    And fret for your contract
    And fret for your car.

It's a bull$#@! three-ring circus sideshow of freaks.

Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
    Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
    Followed by fault lines that cannot sit still.
    Followed by millions of dumbfounded dip $#@!s.

And some say the end is near.
    Certainly hope we will
    I sure could use a vacation from this stupid $#@!, silly $#@!, stupid $#@!.

One great big festering neon distraction,
    I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.

Learn to swim.
    Learn to swim.
    Learn to swim.

'Cause mom's gonna fix it all soon.
    Mom's comin' 'round to put it back the way it ought to be.

Learn to swim. [repeat]

$#@! L Ron Hubbard
    And $#@! all his clones.
    $#@! all these gun-toting
    Hip gangster wannabes.

Learn to swim. [repeat]

$#@! retro anything.
    $#@! your tattoos.
    $#@! all you junkies
    And $#@! your short memory.

Learn to swim. [repeat]

$#@! smiley glad-hands
    With hidden agendas.
    $#@! these dysfunctional
    Insecure actresses.

Learn to swim. [repeat]

'Cause I'm praying for rain
    I'm praying for tidal waves
    I wanna see the ground give way.
    I wanna watch it all go down.

Mom, please flush it all away.
    I wanna see it go right in and down.
    I wanna watch it go right in.
    Watch you flush it all away.

Time to bring it down again.
    Don't just call me pessimist.
    Try and read between the lines.
    And I can't imagine why you wouldn't welcome any change, my friend.

I wanna see it come down.
    Bring it down
    Suck it down.
    Flush it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Must post video... @RJB and @phill4paul

"Ænema"

Some say the end is near.
    Certainly hope we will.
    I sure could use a vacation from this bull$#@! three-ring circus sideshow of freaks.

Fret for your figure
    And fret for your latte
    And fret for your lawsuit
    And fret for your hairpiece
    And fret for your Prozac
    And fret for your pilot
    And fret for your contract
    And fret for your car.

It's a bull$#@! three-ring circus sideshow of freaks.

Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
    Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
    Followed by fault lines that cannot sit still.
    Followed by millions of dumbfounded dip $#@!s.

And some say the end is near.
    Certainly hope we will
    I sure could use a vacation from this stupid $#@!, silly $#@!, stupid $#@!.

One great big festering neon distraction,
    I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.

Learn to swim.
    Learn to swim.
    Learn to swim.

'Cause mom's gonna fix it all soon.
    Mom's comin' 'round to put it back the way it ought to be.

Learn to swim. [repeat]

$#@! L Ron Hubbard
    And $#@! all his clones.
    $#@! all these gun-toting
    Hip gangster wannabes.

Learn to swim. [repeat]

$#@! retro anything.
    $#@! your tattoos.
    $#@! all you junkies
    And $#@! your short memory.

Learn to swim. [repeat]

$#@! smiley glad-hands
    With hidden agendas.
    $#@! these dysfunctional
    Insecure actresses.

Learn to swim. [repeat]

'Cause I'm praying for rain
    I'm praying for tidal waves
    I wanna see the ground give way.
    I wanna watch it all go down.

Mom, please flush it all away.
    I wanna see it go right in and down.
    I wanna watch it go right in.
    Watch you flush it all away.

Time to bring it down again.
    Don't just call me pessimist.
    Try and read between the lines.
    And I can't imagine why you wouldn't welcome any change, my friend.

I wanna see it come down.
    Bring it down
    Suck it down.
    Flush it down.
    Gonna have to turn it up to 11.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Anti Federalist again

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Great Oyarde will not be done in by the doomsday glacier.
    Do something Danke