Thread: Has anyone used the Flex-Seal product?

Has anyone used the Flex-Seal product?

So in our tin roof there is a sewer vent pipe that is in a place that a traditional vent-boot doesn't work well. So every two years I get up there and Black Mammy the $#@! out of it. Of course, with heating and cooling, tar with fiberglass eventually hardens and cracks. And is messy as $#@!. No matter how careful I am it comes down to some serious cleaning on myself and tools with mineral spirits.

So I was thinking about trying some Flex-Seal on it. Anyone have any advise on this product either first hand or second?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It works well.

I’ve used it on the bottoms of gutter seams with great results. They also have a few types of rubberized tape that work well, it’s similar to pond liner membrane repair tape..
    Last edited by The Northbreather; 12-01-2021 at 05:39 PM.

I have used it but have had the best success with Dewitts extra rubberized roof sealant , comes in a caulk tube . I just flatten the bead out with a putty knife . No mess except my putty knife . I get it at Menards. Much cheaper than flex seal. I use it around the flashing around my chimneys .
    Do something Danke

I've used the flex seal tape a couple of times... Once on a kayak that my wife likes to drag along the ground until there are holes. It covered the hole nicely and no water gets through. The other time was for a cracked plexiglass shower that we have in our basement. It doesn't get much use, but sealed it right up.

I'm not sure how it would hold up with constant weather, but it makes a great waterproof patch.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I have used it but have had the best success with Dewitts extra rubberized roof sealant , comes in a caulk tube . I just flatten the bead out with a putty knife . No mess except my putty knife . I get it at Menards. Much cheaper than flex seal. I use it around the flashing around my chimneys .
    Which specific Dewitts caulk? I also need around chimney. Much cheaper. How often do you reapply?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I've used the flex seal tape a couple of times... Once on a kayak that my wife likes to drag along the ground until there are holes. It covered the hole nicely and no water gets through. The other time was for a cracked plexiglass shower that we have in our basement. It doesn't get much use, but sealed it right up.

I'm not sure how it would hold up with constant weather, but it makes a great waterproof patch.
    Not sure I'd use it on a Yak except in an emergency. Lol. But, a can might not be a bad thing to ruck on a Yak trip for emergencies. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Which specific Dewitts caulk? I also need around chimney. Much cheaper. How often do you reapply?
    label says wet stick extra rubberized roof sealant . It lasts several years and its cheap
    Do something Danke

label says wet stick extra rubberized roof sealant . It lasts several years and its cheap
    Look familiar?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ya what I use is pretty much like the one on the left but it says extra rubberized roof sealant sbs rubber , red tube with black and white letters . Its always in stock at the hardware for like 2 1/2 a 10 oz tube . I buy them 2 at a time and if I have any full ones left just leave them in the basement and use them later.
    Do something Danke

Dewitts 253
    Do something Danke

Dewitts 253
    Well, there was no Dewitts in town to be found. So I picked up some Flex-Seal paste. I'd like to report on whether it seemed good or bad, however, the whole container had solidified. Kinda impossible to spread. So I'll be returning that tomorrow. So since the ladder was already set up just went with the old Black Mammy. Should last a good 3-5 yrs. By then I think I'll be tearing off this old galvanized roof and get a metal one installed.